Wolf RPG
Northstar Vale If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Printable Version

+- Wolf RPG (https://wolf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: In Character: Roleplaying (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Northstar Vale If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming (/showthread.php?tid=28819)

Pages: 1 2

If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Síff - August 01, 2018

The last stretch of their journey, or what would later turn out to be the last stretch, passed in a blur and the healer could not have relayed even a leaf she had passed to a curious onlooker. Now that they were traversing the mountains, the fae felt she should be keeping her eye out for something. They had agreed the mountains seemed promising for a pack and as she recalled there weren't too many groups living in them - there hadn't been any in the Sunspire the last time she called Teekon home.

It was from the north that they found access to the vale, thought arguably passage could be found from the south as well. It was a well protected cove, domed on the sides with bowl-like peaks. The rich grass felt soft underfoot on her weary paws, though occasionally her feet found the tiny rivulets of water hidden in the grass instead. The last remnants of morning fog clung low above the grass, a few dew drops sparkling in the sunlight. 

She moved to Kavik quietly, offering a hesitant bump to his shoulder. He was so stressed these days that she was reluctant to bother him for even the smallest task but the healer approached now, a faint wag to her tail and an excited gleam in her dark eyes. "What do you think of this place for our home? We could explore it a little better."

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Arbiter - August 01, 2018

Figured posting sooner rather than later would give more folks the ability to respond. :P  Assuming a fair majority are here ICly.  Any thoughts on posting rounds if there's potentially that many people in the thread?

Since the existence of another bear had brought her previous investigation to a standstill, she waited a few days before yet again venturing into the vale to see just how many of the giant brown fuzzy beasts lived next door.  The main problem she was running in to was that the new bear's scent was so prevalent that it was hard to pick out the scent of the cub that Bernard had mentioned.  They were probably on the far end of the vale somewhere if they hadn't moved on.  Probably smart if they had.

So, with her initial search muddled, she moved from the center to the edge of the vale, looking for the various paths out of the area, hoping to find the evidence she wanted.  If there was a direct route to Bearland, USA maybe they could figure out some way to make it less appealing to wander on in.  Somehow.  Cause a rockslide, put a bunch of thorn branches in the path, maybe just pee there a lot -- that kind of thinking would be up to someone else other than Treason, she was just here to gather the info they'd need.

Thus, with her mind occupied on other-species dangers, if the wind had wafted the scent of other wolves her way, she hadn't given it much thought, so when she stumbled into sight of the group she was taken aback.  The hell...?  Um, who were these people and why the hell were they here?  Her hackles started to raise defensively -- though Treason was a very large wolf and quite confident in a scrap, there was being outnumbered and then there was being outnumbered.  Of course, that didn't change the fact she was a dour sort, eyes giving a scathing review to every individual in the mixed bag present.  A howl to the Sunspire might take a bit to be answered so for the present she held off, but at least she knew she had backup, even if it'd be not the best response time.  Hopefully this group was just passing on through, because Treason had enough verbal ammo that she could be party-crasher extraordinaire without the use of a single fang.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Coelho - August 01, 2018

it was not in coelho's nature to travel directly into confrontation; as it was, she had been trying to be a better scout, and had been struggling to commit to memory the internal map of this place. if she could be a better scout, she could serve sunspire better -- and maybe, just maybe, could make rannoch happy.

the more coelho explored, the more confused she was; there were lots of scents, some bear, some not -- and more confusingly the scent of a fellow packmate. coelho sussed out her tracks in the underbrush and came across a sight more startling than the vision of a bear -- a small conglomerate of wolves, and a very huffy treason.

tentatively hanging back, coelho gave treason an unsure look before she squinted at the gathering, trying to decide if she should stay and help a sister out, or just run back to rannoch.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - RIP Kavik - August 01, 2018

The journey across yet another set of mountains was rough; they were all tired, and Kavik was for sure ready to find somewhere to settle for good. When they entered the vale, he didn't notice its beauty right away; he was just relieved to feel something more forgiving than rocky terrain under his paws. 

He turned to Liri when he felt her bump to his shoulder and smiled when she suggested this place be their new home. He lifted his gaze to look around the green valley and realized how enticing it looked. Settling his eyes back on his mate, his smile grew and he replied, This place looks perfect. Kavik could imagine them settling there and wondered what else they would find while exploring. Before we explore, we should rest a little he added with a nuzzle to her cheek. 

He turned to the rest of their weary group then and announced that they would be resting for a little bit. Liri and I think this place could be our new home, so when we're all rested, we can explore a little, Kavik said, his emerald gaze sweeping across the faces of their budding pack as relief settled in his chest at the thought that this could be the end of their traveling and the beginning of the life as a pack.

It was then that he noticed the strangers. Moving to intersect the females before they got too close to the group, he stopped a short distance from them, flagging his tail assertively. He had scented foot traffic in the area, but there were no markers indicating it was claimed. Do you two need something? he asked with calm authority. The two smelled of the same pack, and Kavik didn't how many more were around. The last thing he wanted was a fight, but he wasn't going to let the strangers come any closer to his pack.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - RIP Grezig - August 01, 2018

They had moved on from the mountain. Good. Progress. As the others settled in, she heard Liri’s comment to Kavik, and looked around herself. Yes, this seemed like a good place to settle. It had plenty of water and green and trees. She was sure this would be a prey animal’s paradise, so they would not go hungry. In truth, Grezig did not really care where they settled, so long as they actually did so. She was tired of moving. She wanted to say ‘Here. This is our home now. And let it stay that way.’ And then she wanted to sleep for a week and awaken refreshed, and begin her new life.

Her head turned sharply at the approach of one, no, two strange wolves. One looked pissed and the other looked… anxious? Well, Grezig would focus on the pissed one. She sniffed the air around herself. They hadn’t trespassed, had they? How could they have? Pack borders were always clear, always marked. Where had the group gone wrong? Or was this wolf pissed for a different reason. Grezig stood still, muscles taut, facing the two wolves with a questioning look, knowing that the rest of the group would be doing the same.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Elixir - August 01, 2018

Elixir was always at the back of the group, looking like a straggler but really just worried about someone falling behind. She had a pep in her step knowing this was the last leg of the race toward her permanent home. As they stopped at the place and she heard Liri say it would be their home from now on she had a huge smile on her face. The wolfdog let her head look back and forth over and over again. It was beautiful and hopefully it would be more so at night so she could stargaze. 

Well, before she was too excited her nose caught the scent of a stranger and then another. At first she stayed behind everyone, and then she tried to stand on her tippy-toes to get a sight of who was there. It wasn’t like they were loners because they smelled of other wolves but this was unclaimed land, no one smelled markers on our way here or while we stood here. Elixir made her way to the front and stood behind Grezig, if the one that was angry got out of hand the band would all have to defend themselves. 

It would have been nice to settle down immediately but nothing ever goes as planned. With hackles ready to raise she was on high alert hopefully with the rest of her band.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Illidan - August 01, 2018

The boy followed his group, making an effort to hang far enough back so that he did not have to endure the problematic ramblings of Thorleif. He had decided that he didn't like the strange male and he wasn't keen on having to spend any alone time with the oddball. Instead, he had made himself a good trekking place near to where Elixir was. She was quiet and though she looked a little peculiar, Illidan found that her silence was far more welcome than the constant prodding from the others. While their trek had taken them far, he was eager to stop.

When the pale female called them to a halt and turned her head to inquire about what they thought, Illidan stretched his neck to sniff. The expanse was rocky and beautiful, stretching up high around them and providing a stunning bowl that would surely grant them prey and safety from others. Just as this thought had weaseled into his young mind, the boy caught wind of the strangers. At once, he rushed forward to where Liri and Kavik stood. His fur bristled and his ears flattened to his skull. There was a wicked glint to his youthful gaze as he curled a lip at Treason and Coelho, fearful of what trouble they might cause.

His life had granted him nothing but a series of almost homes, and he was not willing to let these creatures push them away from yet another. Illidan was done being bullied. He was done watching the people around him suffer because of the pride of strangers. The burning of Easthollow still felt fresh in his mind. He would not let it happen again.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Corvus - August 01, 2018

Corvus was somewhere in the middle of the pack as they traveled, lanky legs allowing for long, lazy strides. After trekking up another mountain, they came upon what looked like paradise. It was closed off and green all around with water sources and plenty of prey. Kavik announced that he and Liri were considering making this place their home. While the shadow couldn't be sure this place was the one just yet, he felt that it was looking good right now.

However, two strangers stood a distance away; one looked strikingly like a coyote―certainly not a full wolf―and she appeared nervous and clearly unconfident. The other woman was large and mostly off-white, glaring daggers at them not unlike the pack woman he fought a while back. Sniffing the air when the wind blew his way revealed that they were pack wolves, but from where? He narrowed his eyes in thought.

Kavik approached the wolfesses, and Corvus moved to be at the outside of their group closer to where they stood. A fight would be foolish―he knew they knew that―but there could be more where the two women came from nearby, and the mercenary could not suppress his tactical instincts. Still, he kept a relaxed posture and listened to how the conversation would go as well as their surroundings.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Thorleif - August 01, 2018

Thorleif trundled along after the pack, completely entranced by the butterfly.  He had been following the butterfly for a good 10 minutes and, as luck would have it, it appeared the insect and the the pack shared a common destination.  He thought back at the past several days of travel and thought of his new pack.  He had gotten used to all of them, save for the little one.  That one was much more fearsome than his size should have allowed.  Thorleif knew to keep a wary eye on that one.

He gradually shifted his gaze back to the path ahead of him and saw that the pack had stopped moving.  He cocked his head to the side in confusion and trotted closer.  Upon seeing his pack, and their body language, he seized.

In an instant, his past exploded through his murky subconscious and had overridden his senses.  Memories implanted deep inside of Thorleif charged into his nerves.  His pack, his old pack.  His family.  That night.  Minutes away from their own deaths, Thorleif instantly recalled the same body language in his old pack that was now present in his new one.

Thinking was over.  All thoughts gone, replaced by the instinct of the pack.  Andrenaline filled every vein.  He charged over and skidded to a stop at the edge of the rank, instinctually protecting the pack's flank.  His heart racing, and teeth bared, Thorleif could even think of nothing else but to rip and tear.  To rend flesh from bone.  To taste fresh marrow and blood.  He wanted to fight and kill.  Even if it was the last thing he ever did.

The only thing keeping him at bay, was at the corner of his vision.  Still glaring at the two strangers, he could just barely recognize the forms of Kavik and Liri.  He knew that if he wanted to attack, he must first see what they did.

So he waited.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Barracuda - August 02, 2018

He lingers there just out of sight, haunting the place that the wolves of Sunspire left behind.  He walks slowly, moving as darkness does.  It is in the back of the group he remains — lurking, waiting.  

If they are a threat, Barracuda will kill them.  He will break their white-bleached bones and suck the marrow from within.  He will leave them strewn upon this mountaintop.  His lips curl to reveal the deadly glinting teeth beneath.

No matter what happens here, he is ready.  He is ready.  He is ready.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Quail - August 03, 2018

she lingers beside and behind barracuda, like a pale, sun-drained shadow. here she is starkly out of her comfort zone, and she responds by sliding into herself, submission draped over her always, the sharpness of her gaze faded and drawn. 

when the threat makes itself know (for the strangers must be that, seeing from the reaction they elicit) her gaze snaps back suddenly and sharply, hard against the softness of her as she crouches low beside barracuda, stance entirely submissive but still, waiting, as she waits for events to unfurl and clashing words to find their mark. she knows how to slip away unseen, how not to fight, and this is her intent if things come to a head.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Síff - August 07, 2018

going to go ahead and put this in rounds, if you haven't replied yet feel free to hop in now. 5 days until the next round and I assume it would be easiest to have no posting order with so many characters lol

The words have only just fallen from her tongue when she, and nearly everyone in their group, spots the two women. They're a ways off yet but the scent of a pack is unmistakable even at a distance. Briefly, the healer's brows furrow; it was true that she had chosen the mountains given that there were no packs in them when she left some year ago. It appears that at least one has taken up residence since her return to Teekon and inwardly the gentle woman curses this unknown pack and the timing they had - if only they'd settled here before she left and they could have avoided this whole issue. 

She can feel her wolves gathering around her and a fierce pride touches her for a moment, knowing that if she asked it of them they would fight. However, she knows that a conflict can't take place. These two might be outnumbered but there was no way to be certain how big their pack was, what kind of force might fall on their little band of rogues if they might attack. 

Liri glances at @Grezig as Kavik moves towards the women, giving a small, almost imperceptible jerk of her head to follow. The sylph wants the woman at her side when they greet these ambassadors, these pack wolves who were sure to report their findings. She pads after mate, as steady and confident on three legs as she ever was on four.

Her dark eyes finds @Illidan's sooty, sharp form for she doubts she'll be able to keep him from this either. As her eyes land on him, she gives a small nod - motioning that he can follow after them as well if he so pleases. The fae would be better able to keep an eye on him if things went south and she knew that between herself and Grezig - the two women in the pack who cared for him most, almost like mothers - he would be safe. 

"Greetings," she murmured as she reached the pair, stopping at her mate's side. There was only a hint of the northern accent present in her voice. "May I ask why you're here and staring at my wolves in such a manner?"

Her words were spoken carefully, her face carefully devoid of emotion - whether it be agitation or territorial anger - though there's a silent question hanging between them, the one Liri truly meant to ask: "Are these not neutral lands?"

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Arbiter - August 07, 2018

A few of them seemed to be reacting far more negatively than might otherwise be called for, so she turned to @Coelho, saying calmly and quietly, You can go get the others.  It was up to her whether she did and how she did so -- a howl, running to personally retrieve them, whatever, but though Treason wasn't scared of the group, she now definitely didn't trust them.  It was a reasonable thing to do.  Sure, they were outnumbered, but if they actually attacked, it was just going to look bad on them.  Their hostility was already proving that they'd probably be awful neighbors.

And then the pitifully small woman came forward -- on three legs.  Wait, was that someone this group was actually treating as a leader?  Seriously?  Like it was one thing if that was the long time alpha who'd had better days... But wasn't this a new group?  Why the hell were perfectly healthy, much larger wolves submitting to someone who was going to majorly drain resources from the pack if she ever sprained an ankle or something else relatively minor?  Come on, let nature take its course and have the strong rule as was proper.  Her opinion of all of them fell drastically, not that her stoic expression changed.  Idiots, all of them.

The guy had spoke first, so he was the one she first responded to, No, I think I'm the one who should be asking you that.  She didn't seem impressed.  Treason had every right to be here, so wasn't going to bow to this rando's whims.  Regardless of whether or not Coelho ran off by this point, she was still steadfast and unwavering. Her voice was calm, loud enough to make sure the others could hear if they cared to listen, and now more broadly directed at this little group with its pathetic possible-alpha female, I hope you haven't promised them things you really shouldn't be trying to fulfill here.  It'd be foolish to do so before knowing who you were settling near and what already was in residence.  Hint hint, move on ya derps.  Okay, so she wasn't 100% replying directly to the questions asked at this point, but she was more than covering the material.

Treason kept her tone even and cool as she always did, continuing, I'm doing you a favor, actually.  I don't think my pack will be particularly pleased to have someone trying to swipe a place they like hunting -- not a way to make friends in the neighborhood at all.  And maybe you haven't run across the scents yet, but this valley has a bit of a bear problem.  Or, do you like bears?  Her brows raised slightly, as if that question was serious.  It wasn't.  If they tried sticking around, maybe she could find that beaten up bear and give her a heads up -- could bears work like a pack to drive off the wolf invaders?  Enemy of my enemy, and all...  Either way, she was gonna bet on the bears, especially with one set of them being a mom and cub.  Good luck driving that off without loss of life.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - RIP Grezig - August 07, 2018

Grezig acknowledged Elixir’s presence behind her with a quick glance over her shoulder. Then she turned her eyes back to the… intruders? Or… whatever they were. She tried to keep her stance neutral at the very least, although the tension throughout the group was causing her hackles to want to raise on their own. She exhaled forcefully, calming her body and standing with slackened muscles, but watchful eyes. Those eyes moved to trail after Illidan as he scuttled closer to Kavik and Liri, clearly upset by the sight of the strangers. His distress pained her, but she did nothing about it. The strangers were more important. Her eyes swiveled back towards them. Another movement from her side indicated that Corvus had padded over to be closer to the alphas. Even now, Grezig stood still and waited. If the alphas wanted her nearer to them, they would tell her.

And then it happened. Grezig glanced at Liri, and Liri gave her the tiniest jerk of the head, motioning towards herself. Come here. Grezig gave her alpha a small nod in return, and then turned to look over her shoulder at Elixir apologetically for having to leave the wolfdog. She turned towards the alpha pair and made her way calmly to their side, standing next to Liri, shoulder to shoulder, and gazing at the intruders steadily.

The two intruders exchanged words, and then the bigger one turned back to them, speaking arrogantly. Grezig wanted to dismiss the words immediately, but some small voice in the back of her head told her to wait. There had to be more to the story than was being told right now. She tried to imagine being on the other end of this situation, coming into a valley where there had previously been no pack, only to be suddenly outnumbered, and to be stared at by every wolf in the vicinity. Even Grezig might lose her head in that kind of circumstance. Wait, the voice in her head said. Just wait.

’I don't think my pack will be particularly pleased to have someone trying to swipe a place they like hunting -- not a way to make friends in the neighborhood at all.’

Ah, so these were hunting grounds? Grezig nodded. This made more sense now. It was not unheard of for a pack’s territory to range over very long distances. It made sense that a pack who did not actually live in this vale might be uptight about another pack so near, especially if they used this valley as a food source. She couldn’t help but look around again. It did seem a bountiful place. She sighed internally. If they had to give this place up, she’d be disappointed for sure.

’And maybe you haven't run across the scents yet, but this valley has a bit of a bear problem.  Or, do you like bears?’

Grezig’s focus immediately returned. Bears? There were bears here? How could they have missed the smell of them? Of… of multiple bears? Was this female lying to them, trying to scare them off? Perhaps… Grezig continued her silence. She was not the alpha here. She would not speak. That job was left to Liri and Kavik.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Coelho - August 07, 2018

grim faces flocked their coterie; unknown, intimidating faces. some watchful, some aggressive -- coelho glanced on each timidly, finding no kindness in any's gaze. she particularly did not like the threatening display by one male, which crashed through the underbrush with a savagery that made coelho think he was coming for her with a vengeance.

thank god for clear heads, or treason -- coelho was too seized by fright to do anything until she was ordered to do so. a stronger wolf (reminder: she was not a coyote) might have stayed besides treason valiantly - but dim as coelho was, she knew she was better aid in getting aid than she was fighting. hell, coelho probably couldn't even snap a moth's finger if she tried; much less an assortment of wolves all bigger and more capable than her.

so, she took off running. she spun around and bolted quickly, fleet as a hare thanks to being not wolf (but also not coyote!!!) - and she threw back her head in high pitched yippy howls for @Rannoch and @Wraen, and @Terance -- and any wolf that could come to their aid before doom befell her masked comrade.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - RIP Kavik - August 07, 2018

Kavik could feel the aggression and unease from the group behind him, but kept his attention solely on the strangers in front of him. His attention was briefly drawn to the arrival of his mate, and when he saw she had allowed Illidan to follow, he looked from her face to his and back. He didn't think the boy was safe this close to potentially hostile strangers, but decided now was not really the time discuss it. He was, however, glad that Liri had motioned for Grezig's presence; she was strong and had earned the trust of both he and his mate, and Kavik was proud to have her on the front lines with them.

Kavik watched the exchange between the two females; it seemed they felt the need to bring in reinforcements, which was fine. It was the strangers fault this had gotten off to a rocky start. Had they not approached his group so aggressively, they wouldn't all feel the need to respond the same way. But if that's how they wanted to do this, then fine. The smaller female left then, and Kavik could hear her calls for more packmates in the distance. 

Kavik thought of himself as a pretty agreeable wolf, but this female's entitled attitude was starting to rub him the wrong way. Don't worry about what I have or have not promised my wolves he answered coolly, keeping his eyes locked firmly and assertively on hers. This territory isn't claimed, so we have done nothing wrong by being here. We are not here to start trouble, but I'm afraid if you don't back off a little, we're going to have a problem, Kavik added, his tone unyielding. He was always willing to seek out the path that avoided confrontation. This area was clearly important to the nearby pack, and Kavik was understanding of that. He wasn't going to let some haughty stranger push him or his pack around, and this just seemed like a huge waste of time and a chance for her to be a bully. 

Her next comment further increased his dislike of the the female. She was willing to have a pissing contest over a territory that supposedly had a bear problem? That didn't quite add up. Plus, they hadn't scented any bears, at least not in the short amount of time they had been here. If the rest of your pack is as inflammatory as you have been, then I'm not sure we want any kind of relationship with you. If a reasonable conversation can be had about this territory, I'd be glad to listen, but your attitude is neither needed nor constructive. he said resolutely. He still felt this situation could be rectified, but not if he had to talk this wolf anymore. He and His wolves were tired and road weary and none of them deserved to be met with unprovoked aggression over a simple misunderstanding. It's not as if they had just waltzed into their pack's territory. He remained like a wall in front of the abrasive female, his expression unreadable, as he waited for her packmates to arrive.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Corvus - August 08, 2018

TL;DR: This post is a long-winded way of me saying Corvus watched what was goin' on and hoped it'd end well. :'^)

Corvus stayed put and would not move unless commanded to do so. The air was tense, and the others were reacting quite poorly. He saw no need for alarm―not yet―and returning bad attitudes would only escalate the situation. The odd mercenary was far from a diplomat, but even he knew this much.

The delicate coyote-like fae skittered off to summon the leaders after instruction from the larger woman, who was surely a higher-up. Liri summoned Grezig, who stepped up beside her. His ears strained to pick up on the conversation between the alphas and the remaining wolfess. He could tell she was displeased and probably had a bad attitude. She certainly had a lot to say right off the bat. Kavik responded in turn and appeared to be keeping his cool. Corvus couldn't be sure if it'd be enough; who knew what the alphas were like? He hoped they weren't too similar to this prickly female and that the two packs could work something out.

It wasn't traveling that bothered him but traveling so far with so many others―strangers, even. The nosferatu was ready for this pack to finally settle somewhere so that he'd be able to come and go from one set location as he pleased.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Elixir - August 08, 2018

Elixir watched as Grezig moved away from her and then look back to give her an apologetic look. She nodded to say it was okay, but she felt a bit uneasy as it happened. These wolves approached the band aggressively, well the one did, the other seemed to be shy. The wolfdog kept her comments about the land to herself as she had many to say to the stuck up wolf who had approached them with aggression. 

Elixir was watching with the other wolves that made up their band with much anticipation as to what might happen. She’s going to get more, she thought in her head as her eyes widened. She wanted to commend Kavik for approaching the wolf with calmness, as she would have done it differently but that’s why they are alphas him and Liri. Elixir was scared that they might lose this land that they would like to call home.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Minori - August 08, 2018

Long ass post!

She had kept her distance from the group and when they reached the Vale she chose the worst time to take a walk and explore. She roamed around for quite some time, noting for herself the scent of bear amongst various other prey, but the bear scent was enough to set her on edge.  She had begun her walk back to report this when she caught wind of two female scents, not belonging to the group she had begun to travel with. Alarmed she hurried back, arriving just in time to hear the larger female of the two strangers speak. The attitude being given to her new leaders made her bristle, but she  moved to her group and looked at each member, spotting Thorleif looking like he was about to go off on them if not for Kavik and Liri being nearby. she slowly walked over, ears flattened and lips curled over her fangs and a small chuff being given to grab his attention and warn the male who seemed to have no sense. "She sent for more wolves. This means that soon, we can be outnumbered. Keep yourself in control, you do not want to start a fight unless given command." her english was even better, getting the warning and attempt at common sense out short and direct.

Then she turned and moved to stand beside Corvus, the only member who she trusted at all and who had her respect besides Liri. The bear scent was still fresh in her mind and it struck her as odd that there would be such a fuss over hunting territory with a much larger more problematic predator around. Unable to help herself she waited for Kavik to finish and spoke up "If there are bears around, why would you want to hunt here? They must eat most of the prey and make ot dangerous. It makes no sense to me, are you sure you are not just trying to take charge where it isn't your place for the fun of it?" she spoke calmly and without any hint of her normal attitude in her voice but the jab was still there. If the woman wanted to be rude to a whole pack of wolves, then Minoro could give it back in return while also making a point. Somewhat hyppocritical since she had just scolded Thorleif for being defensive, but oh well.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Thorleif - August 08, 2018

Thorleif heard a voice deep in his mind.  It was so faint that he could barely hear it at all.  Every fiber of every muscle was set on a tripwire, able to go off at any second.  His heart was beating so fast it almost overpowered his sense of hearing.  But there it was again.  

"Keep yourself in control..."

There it was again!  He didn't know where it came from, and he couldn't look around since his entire body was coiled for the eventual explosion of energy.  Finally, it occurred to him.  It was his conscious speaking to him from outside his own body!  Thorleif gasped in surprise!

"...you do not want to start a fight unless given command."  The voice continued.

Thorleif had never had his own consciousness speak to himself so directly before, and was surpised that it had what seemed to be a bit of a femine quality to it.  

"Amazing", said Thorleif, completely in awe.

As he pondered over this newfound revelation, his body began to relax and his mind, whatever was left of it, slowly returned to it's natural state.  Soon, he was himself again.  All memories of unrepentant murderous rage forgotten in an instant.

He turned to Minori and exclaimed out loud, "Did you hear that?  My brain spoke to me!  Just now it did!"

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Wraen - August 09, 2018

What? No, way! Had been Wraen's response to Coelho's brief recount of the events that were taking place in the Northstar vale. She exchanged worried looks with @Liffey , whom she had helped with baby-sitting duties, and then left to get to the scene as fast as possible. Along the way she collected both @Witchbaby and @Pyro , both of whom had been hunting on the outskirts and three of them arrived to back up Treason. 

Though she had been warned beforehand - the number of assembled wolves was a bit mind-boggling and the fact that between them and claiming the vale stood only the Sunspire's fiercest guardian was unsettling. She and the two she had brought with her joined her, though they were still outnumbered. She quickly went over the faces, surprised to see that she recognized at least two of them - Elixir the wolf-dog and an agouti female, whose name had either escaped her mind or had never been told in the first place. 

She had not heard the earlier exchange, but she addressed the white wolf and one other (Kavik), who she thought were leaders of the group: "I am Wraen, leader of the Sunspire wolves. Others will be arriving shortly, but may I know in the meanwhile, what is going on? Perhaps we can settle this thing without having a blood-shed."

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Malice - August 10, 2018

The commotion was surprising and Malice, as a fierce guardian, immediately felt protective of her new home. She did not wish for Pyro to join the potential fight but knew that strength came with numbers, and the visitors had a lot of them. Together with the rest of the Sunspire wolves did Malice descend the mountain into the vale and joined Treason's side. Unlike Wraen, Malice did not recognize a single wolf among the intruders which made it easier to dislike them.

She kept quiet, instead choosing to observe. Her chin pressed tightly against her chest to protect her throat for if any of them decided to lunge for the older widow.

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Nara - August 10, 2018

Nara arrived - a little out of breath - not long after she had overheard Coelho's briefing to Wraen. She had been running after the trio - and later quartet - calling out to them once or twice, but they had seemed in too much of a hurry to hear her. She came to a halt behind her packmates.

bloodshed

The first word she heard. This didn't look good. Her eyes scanned the numerous wolves standing behind their leaders. They were all strangers to her. Nara wondered why Coelho had ran for backup. These wolves didn't seem especially hostile or bloodthirsty, although some of them didn't look very pleased with their presence. 

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Rannoch’s Ghost - August 10, 2018

Something wicked brewed within Rannoch, and Cohelo's message had evoked this. The vale—his vale—had visitors who intended to stay; Rannoch wasn't going to concede to an assemblage of strangers. "Thanks, @Coelho," Rannoch responded before the lept off towards his former claim; the brief statement was all the Alpha could manage at the moment. 

A number of Sunspire's members had already arrived by the time that Rannoch arrived at the meeting—a great deal of distance had separated him from the heart of the glen.  

Rannoch stepped into place between Treason and Wraen and caught the tail-end of the Beta's thought. Rannoch nodded and turned his attention towards the supposed leaders. "Yes, we wish to avoid bloodshed," he agreed, feeling the hairs along the back of his neck raise; it felt so wrong seeing another group within Northstar Vale. Despite this feeling, Rannoch kept his thoughts to himself. 

Rannoch adjusted himself then by squaring his shoulders and pressing his ears forward. "My name is Rannoch Frostfur, and I am the Alpha of Sunspire and former Alpha of Northstar Vale." 

"As Wraen requested, please explain what is going on."

RE: If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a long time coming - Síff - August 10, 2018

As discussed, the next few posts will be for leadership members to discuss the situation. (Fira, this includes you!) :)

She can see concern in Kavik's gaze but Liri meets his steadily. The boy has lost much already and she can see how important this is to him. She will not deny Illidan the truth - she refuses to shelter him in the dark. He would hear whatever the future held straight from the jaws of this ambassador. Yet, the protective woman shifted so that her form sheltered his in the event that something violent occured.

The answer she receives was not the one she was expecting, for a moment she can only blink in shock at the way this subordinate is acting. 

Liri could understand living nearby and being alarmed to see such a large group practically in your backyard - she could even understand being territorial about it. But the woman's snarky words are uncalled for. 

Kavik responds first but Liri straightens as the woman addresses an insult in her direction - for she can hear it beneath the words as Treason raises her voice so Liri's wolves can hear. The healer would not show weakness in front of them. "I haven't promised them anything I'm not capable of," she promises, soft tones devoid of any malice. "In the future, you might wonder what it is that would make a wolf follow someone who looks like me before dismissing it," she says it calmly, as if it were genuine advice, her dark gaze flicking once over the girl - unimpressed.

It's Liri who leads a full, happy life with her mate, she who will soon have a territory of her own to call home, and children in the spring. She can't find it in herself to be worried about this woman's opinion.

The woman's next string of words cause the sylph's brows to raise. Bears? No, that wouldn't do at all - not if she wanted her wolves safe. "We've yet to get a chance to investigate and come across any bears. So far, we've only had time to deal with you," she retorts, not quite an insult but pointed enough that she'll get the message. 

"I assume the small one will return with your pack. I believe I'll wait to discuss this with them," she gives the woman a last sweet smile, dismissing her. Liri's not here to trade insults all day. 

True enough, the rest of the volatile girl's members arrive, some as aggressively as she did - she withheld an irritated sigh at this. She was growing tired of this hostile charade. 

Finally, the leaders arrived and Liri straightened, offering the girl who first appeared a smile. Shortly behind her is a male as large as Kavik, a deep scar across his throat. These two at least appear to have their heads on their shoulders.

"We never sought bloodshed," she said by way of greeting. Her gaze fell again on Treason, wondering if they were aware it was one of their own stirring up trouble. 

"I am Liri Blackfoot. Alpha of well...this group," she smiled the tiniest bit, "and former Alpha of Rosings." Since they were offering up their titles. 

"I apologize if we offended you by arriving so abruptly in your old home," she dipped her head, a knife of jealousy stabbing her heart as she considered another pack taking up residence in Blackfoot Forest. 

"We've been travelling in search of an appropriate territory and we were unaware anyone lived nearby. We'd considered investigating this place for our home but it's obvious that it doesn't suit our needs," Liri smiled, hoping to let him know it wasn't an insult to the Vale he was so sentimental of. 

The Sunspire pack before her ranged on varying degrees of skininess, as if struggling to find food. If they were desperate enough to hunt in a territory overrun with bears the prey must be very scarce. Liri couldn't imagine the territory supporting another pack and she didn't want it, now that she'd been informed of its shortcomings. The healer would rather travel a bit farther in search of a better place to make their home. 

"We won't linger long, I doubt we'd be welcome to anyhow," her dark gaze again finds the outspoken Gamma. 

"A word of advice, keep a closer eye on that one. Luckily, my group isn't quick to attack," hint, hint, "but if she were to approach another unfamiliar group in that manner, they might be a bit more offended than us." 

It's nothing but friendly advice, there's no ill will in her polite gaze. No insult or threat could be found, her words could not be twisted. She merely offered help to the Alpha, assuming he might not want an angry pack crashing down on his own in the future. 

"We will rest somewhere further north, where we won't disturb your hunting lands, and then we will leave," she promises, dipping her head once.