Deepwood Weald rapid eye movement
Moontide
Warrior
the seal's shadow
121 Posts
Ooc — orion
Private 
The noise of the ocean fell away as the yearling departed the plateau. Grasses turned to shrubs and then to dense, spindly trees as he crossed the narrow patch of no-mans-land and into Morningside's territory. His steps were hesitant, though no less excited as he searched for the scent of @Dutch, calling for his presence once he could not discern a traceable path.

Ever since his first visit, Taggak had been smitten with the man. He had served as some sort of role model alongside Iseul and his father despite their brief interactions. While Chakliux preached the life of a devoted homebody, the storyteller inspired a life of adventure, and that was exactly what the seal-hunter intended to speak of today.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
549 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
Although he was not one of the five who shared his blood — nor even the blood of Chakliux! — Matteo was as good as any of the others to the panther. They were beloved to Chakliux, and so even though they did not represent the same bond the two men shared, they were beloved to him.

Dutch tipped his head to howl back, inviting the young man deeper into the territory while he set off to meet him. He wasn't sure what this might be about, but he decided he was flattered instead of worried by the summons, and correspondingly, there was an extra spring in his step when he came to Matteo at last.

"Look how you've grown!" he could not help but exclaim — "We must be the same size, now! Perhaps we should spar, one day! I could teach you a thing or two."

He admired the young man with happy, wistful eyes a moment longer before offering a smile of welcome.

"It is good to see your face, Matteo. What can I do for you?"
Moontide
Warrior
the seal's shadow
121 Posts
Ooc — orion
A howled reply invited the yearling deeper into the forest, and he came with a swish of his raven tail until Morningsong's chief came into view. "Dutch, hey!" he greeted happily, a grin splitting his features. "I remember your first visit to the lodge, you seemed a lot bigger then!" He had been just a kid then - troubled and naive. Drawing himself tall and proud, he bumped the man's shoulder amicably. "Might take you up on that offer to spar - now that Dad's busy with the kids and, y'know, his leg's still not quite right." He hadn't asked what had happened, but his father's speedy recovery had laid to rest most of his worry.

A pensive expression crossed his brow at the use of his old name. Half of him wanted to correct him, to stamp out the part of himself that was not fully seal-hunter. But he knew that would not be true to himself. He had spent so long embracing his mixed identity that he stood before Dutch as Matteo, proudly.

"I wanted to see you before I headed north, but never got the chance. I guess, I came to make up for lost time." 
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
549 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
He hadn't been that much smaller, but the difference was still noticeable. Mainly, Dutch remembered that Matteo had been very shy. This had been endearing to him at the time, but he much preferred the confidence the young man spoke with today. They would spar, certainly, and then Dutch would brag about it to Chakliux when the time was right. It would be good for all of them.

"Name the time and the place!" he exclaimed, his tail spinning.

And he was touched that Matteo wanted to speak to him at all, let alone that he saw there was something to have lost between them.

"I am glad you have come to me," he said with feeling, just a little emotional about the fact. "Is there a reason in particular? One is not needed, of course! Men must spend time amongst men. I am only flattered to have been thought of this way."
Moontide
Warrior
the seal's shadow
121 Posts
Ooc — orion
Taggak had never sparred before. Not beyond the brotherly wrestling between he and Raiyuk. "I will think on it," he agreed with a vigorous nod. 

Dutch wanted to know why he was here, and a little awkwardness returned to his posture. "When you told me of the red desert, I wanted to share stories of my own but I had none," he explained, unsure if it was a valid reason despite the man's reassurances. "Now that I have gone beyond Moontide, I have reason to come to you!" Plus, Dutch was kinda of his cool uncle. It had been a long time since the two had crossed paths meaningfully.

"There is also something I wish to ask you - that I cannot ask the seal-hunters. I hope that is okay." His expression turned serious for just a moment.