Totoka River There is no sorrow like the memory of love and the knowledge that it is gone forever
ɪ' ʜɪɴ' sʀɪɢʜ ʀ ʜ sʟ ; ʜʏ ɴɴ ʜɪʀ ǫɴ.
27 Posts
Ooc — Floof
[table width=80%][tr][td]
"I chose to forsake the crown promised to me,"

At this, a look of obvious confusion crossed the girl's features, signified by pinched together brows and a small frown. There was clearly more to the story though, as the man had a lot more to say, so she tried to keep her thoughts neutral and not judge him too thoroughly. Still, she couldn't help but wonder: who would willingly give up their throne? Certainly not she! Her birthright had been unwillingly taken out from under her feet in one tragic night, leaving her alone to travel as a nameless, title-less child. She'd honestly give anything to have her crown back... Yet he didn't want it? How could he not want it; the power, the title, the respect? The thought was baffling... and a bit frustrating. So, even if she tried to hear him out and not hold this information against him, it was almost impossible to not feel the flare of jealously rising in her. Still, regardless of her feelings, she continued to listen with rapt attention, not willing to let her opinions get between herself and the only trace of familiarity she'd found since losing her birthright.

Negative emotions aside, it was intriguing to learn about his kingdom, about its people and its traditions. An ache crept into her heart when he described the women, the description sounding oh so familiar to her mother; studious, conscientious, wise. This was not the same grieving ache as before, the one that came accented with anger and frustration, but more of a bittersweet feeling... It brought back both the good memories of her mother living and the bad one of seeing her mangled body lain across the ground. His description of the men was not reminiscent of her father, but she was a bit pleasantly surprised to hear the familiar phrase "knight", another reminder that she and Pendragon had known similar culture. These positive feelings helped ease the negative, allowing her mind and face to return to a state of curious neutrality.

He finished up his tale, explaining that he'd yearned to be a knight instead of a prince (much to his father's dismay, which she could understand), and possibly as punishment for not fulfilling his royal duty, he suddenly just... found himself... here. Tangled up on the shore in ocean debris, as if spit out from the salty body of water itself. The confusion found her again, this time not in an intense judging fashion towards Pen's decision, but instead sharing his own concern. That was an unsettling thought on its own... she couldn't imagine it actually happening. Well, happening to her anyway; she did believe him. So he just... woke up here then? With no recollection of running away or even passing out? Her gaze was downcast and focusing hard on the rippling water between them, gears clearly turning in her head as she tried to figure this one out. With no real knowledge of how the ocean worked, she couldn't fathom that he may have simply been thrown in and carried here by the waves/current. To her, this was as mysterious as an act of magic, with no sense or proper explanation behind it, so she gave up trying to make it otherwise. Besides, even if she could help him find an answer, judging by the forlorn look on his face, perhaps it would just be best to change subject. Which he already did, now responding to her comment about the coast.

"I suppose that's one way of thinking about it," came her slightly mumbled response. Truly, that was an interesting idea; that one didn't need to find a place they belonged (where they were supposed to be), but could settle down and make a place they belonged. It put a tiny spark of warmth and hope in her chest, lighting her gaze and turning her thoughts in the more optimistic direction. "I wouldn't know if there are any other kingdoms in this land, but after learning of yours, I admit I'm a bit more hopeful about finding a place to settle..." The faintest smile found her features, an actually sincere one, which she hadn't worn in quite some time. It faded though as she considered her next comment though, knowing she was rounding back to the painful subject. "Wherever you should choose to settle though, I hope you... find out what happened." Her weight shifted uncomfortably before she decided to rephrase. "I hope you find your kingdom again."

A thoughtful pause passed between the two of them, one that probably would've signaled the end of the conversation, but she wasn't in the mood to say goodbye just yet. Though a tender subject, she eventually decided to tack onto her last comment. "What was its name, your kingdom?"

[/td][/tr][/table]
Messages In This Thread
RE: There is no sorrow like the memory of love and the knowledge that it is gone forever - by Andronika - March 25, 2017, 09:34 AM