Swiftcurrent Creek I will grind your bones to make my bread [Pack Hunt]
ís & steinn ♔ hjarta & sál
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
The deer did not look like it would last much longer. Leaving trails of pink and red streaking around it, the creature struggled through the snow; harried by wolves on all sides, torn at, tasted. Njal drew back to watch the others pester it, but kept himself in line to follow the floundering body. There was pride welling within him for the way they worked together. As the deer veered in a new direction Njal picked up speed, leaping through the snow to the point where he was flanking Jinx, and then as he ran beside her, the target stumbled. Its limbs splayed and kicked in desperation as a clear dizziness overtook it; the blood loss was sufficient enough and it was like the deer knew that its life was going to end soon.

With a sag of it's front end, it went down. Sliding on to its belly, lifting and writhing in an effort to stand and keep going, but the blood continued to seep from it. Staining its skin, the snow, until finally it gave a great breath and went limp against the earth. The deer was not yet dead, but utterly exhausted. It would take hours for the creature to be exanguinated but the pack did not need to wait. Njal fell upon it as soon as it was down, grabbing at its face and then its throat with a precise bite to the larynx. What bones were there quickly cracked and popped, and he clenched at it to finish the animal. However, Njal was tired himself - and after a few moments when the deer began to kick, he released and drew back. Perhaps Jinx would have better luck with ending it.

Knowing that the deer would soon be dead, Njal sank back and waited. He watched as his pack-mates drew close. When the animal was killed he let out a bark of glee, which transitioned in to a howl of pleasure; they had done it, they had taken down the mule deer together. While Njal wanted to take the first bite, he deferred to Fox; looking to her, and standing himself up with a small rumble in his chest, warning the others away until she took her rightful place as the first to feast.

From that point, Njal tore at the creature. He carved away some of the fatty tissue of the warm body and gulped down chunks of meat, taking a bit of extra for a cache, and dragged a few strips away, leaving the rest for the others to fight over.

[exit njal]
Messages In This Thread
RE: I will grind your bones to make my bread [Pack Hunt] - by RIP Njal - March 15, 2014, 07:16 PM