Blackfoot Forest how am I gonna be an optimist about this?;;
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Private 

Despite their weakness and gaping wounds, Alarian and Lennon had come to the decision that they would keep going. If they could reach help somehow, it would be a better outcome than laying around in the hollow waiting for another cougar to finish the job. To this end, Ali had kept quiet about his various aches and pains-- and about most other things, too.
The boy had a lot to think about during the journey. The sting of the wounds clouded his thoughts, lingering in the undercurrents and intensifying his sense of vulnerability. He was, to put it simply, incredibly sad. In light of his recent undesirable encounter (he tried not to think about it for too long, fearing he would break himself with the memory) Ali had been seeking comfort, a sense of importance and belonging.

And now he couldn't stop thinking about how Lennon had run to Korei first.
The thought made him feel ugly and small, not least because he knew how selfish he was being; they had known each other first, he told himself over and over, and it was a reasonable reaction. But he still couldn't shake the memory of laying on the cold ground, bleeding and waiting to be remembered again.
He had risked his life when he didn't have to, and--
No, no, no. He stopped himself there. Alarian would not be that person, he would not demand to be cared about, nor use his own actions to leverage it out of anyone. Even if the alternative ached so deeply.

These thoughts had consumed the boy in an endless loop since the journey had resumed. So much that he did not notice as something took root deep in one of the wounds in his side until it was too late. The wound was festering when he had last looked at it, red and inflamed and oozing in colors it should not.
That had been earlier in the day, and though he had slipped off to clean it away in the nearest water source it got no better. The passing hours had brought first a headache, and it threatened to blind even his racing, angst-ridden thoughts. He didn't think anything was actually wrong-- a hitch in the healing process, perhaps-- so he kept it to himself.

When he collapsed, it was without warning. He fell to the ground heavily, limbs weak and not working the way he wanted. A slight yelp escaped him at the impact, but fortunately he had twisted to land on his good side. Immediately the boy began to pull himself to his feet, but he could only drag his front half up-- his body suddenly felt too heavy for his legs to hold.
He gave up after a minute of struggling with a plaintive whine.
I... don't think I can go any further.
Messages In This Thread
how am I gonna be an optimist about this?;; - by Alarian - January 13, 2018, 02:17 PM