Whitefish River Feast or Famine
I AM WEASEL, HEAR ME ROAR
61 Posts
Ooc — Bryndel
In Quartz Cavern, more specifically. And if anyone cares, I'm technically assuming some sort of prehistoric critter here.  ;)  Anyone inclined to pick a more-specific subspecies should feel free to do so, heh heh; otherwise I'll most likely just leave it vague.
...I may also edit this a little more at some point when I'm a little more awake.  <.<;

Nynka hated the rain. She skittered hastily into the overhanging ledge above the entry to the smallish cavern as the droplets grew larger and heavier, spotting her fur with solid PLOPs that left her looking as mottled as if she was changing color for the seasons again; she glared out into the misty air as the gradiented gray grew darker and wetter yet directly above. The very low grumbling of thunder far off was audible more as a palpable vibration in the bones than any actual sound. It didn't look like it was going to clear up anytime soon; with a heaved sigh of disgust Nynka set about investigating her rocky little hollowed-out haven.

Upon closer investigation, it appeared that she had been mistaken; the initial alcove had a tiny opening that threaded its way deeper into the unforgiving stone. Nynka wriggled her whiskers, sneezed and gave her head a brief but furious shaking to clear it of the wetness that had accumulated upon her brown fur there before she squeezed into the rocky tunnel. She noticed as she emerged from the low passage, her body bending and flexing like a large fuzzy pipe cleaner around the rocky jags and curves, that the walls seemed to be increasingly studded and streaked with a different texture of material. Nynka was not impressed; currently, in the gray light filtering dimly in, the quartz looked as dull and lifeless as the rock around it. Besides which, Nynka had seen and even collected much prettier rocks than these, in her staunch opinion. What caught her attention much more impressively were the looming teeth that gleamed right in her face as she exited the small passageway and made an abrupt right turn. Nynka loosed a shrill, angry cry of surprise, puffing up her fur and leaping back with her back arched even more exaggeratedly than a frightened cat's. Nynka's eyes glittered with fury as much as anything however; with the weather putting her in an increasingly foul mood, she felt ready to fight anyone or anything that even thought about taunting her— this despite the fact that a single eyetooth was nearly the length of her bitty legs. Then, as she squinted and hissed menacingly, the shape resolved itself into the shape of a hulking bear skull leering up at her from the gloom. Nynka's anger turned to puzzlement turned to a dawning grin of her own; the creature must have been absolutely massive in life, but Nynka enjoyed baring her teeth right back at the thing with a hearty Hah! Neener neener, no matter how much bigger you may have been than me, my teeth are just as pointy and I am still alive while you are not!

Obscurely cheered by the enormous grinning skull, Nynka glanced about and noticed that it was far from the only bone littered about the cavern's murky shadows, though it was one of the most-complete. Curious, she skittered forth and stuck her much smaller head straight down into the bearskull's gaping eyesocket. She could probably have fit her entire body through the opening with relative ease, in fact, but at the moment she was more interested in simply checking out the space. It seemed perfectly plausible to her that someone might have hidden some sort of fancy treasure in there at some point, even if the original owner's flesh and muscle were long since wasted away, with virtually no scent detectable any longer—which helped explain how it had snuck up on her in the dark so suddenly like that. Now if only she could carry the thing away with her to add to her little collection back home; it would make quite an impressive size, but even hollowed completely out the thing had to outweigh her by an order of magnitude at least.
Messages In This Thread
Feast or Famine - by Nynka - July 23, 2018, 02:25 AM
RE: Feast or Famine - by RIP Grezig - August 27, 2018, 05:54 PM
RE: Feast or Famine - by Nynka - September 04, 2018, 03:10 PM
RE: Feast or Famine - by RIP Grezig - September 11, 2018, 03:19 PM
RE: Feast or Famine - by Nynka - September 14, 2018, 02:54 AM