Whitefish River Someone Tell Me Something Comforting
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Birth 
Please let @Dandelion @Primrose @Blackberry @Nutmeg /and or @Speedy post first! After that it's free game, this thread will stay up until saturdayish I might leave it open if it gets really active. Leaving the end part a bit open ended for Speedy to do what she wants here. Takes place on the 26th leading into the 27th early morning and references this thread! Song reference/thread title for those who want background music. Light PP of @Hieronymous approved

It had been days since the Constable had seen Evergreen and Winterbourne. During the first 24 hours Ira had quelled her concerns insisting she just missed them or they had gone out somewhere, but as the second day rolled by with no sightings the dread began to set in. Ira could not travel much in her current state, but after checking in with Hieronymous the roan woman was able to confirm that they did not seem to be in the territory. Even the shared den of the Count and Grocer laid untouched, with stale scents suggesting they had not slumbered there the night before.

They had both gone missing, to where she had no idea. Had they left? Maybe they didn't want her a part of the equation after all, even after everything. The thought sent a pain through the Constable's abdomen that lasted for several minutes. Clearly her concern was now affecting her children. Speedy had insisted that she remained clam, but how could she now? This went beyond normal pregnancy anxiety and as if on command the second her thoughts began to spiral another cramp hit her side. Ira forced herself to take a few deep breaths until the sensation eased up, there was nothing she could do now. It would be idiotic to search past the borders and with night approaching quickly the only option left was to retreat to her den.

Sleep did not come easy. Ira managed to sleep on and off throughout the night, but the times she spent awake her thoughts wandered to Evergreen and Winterbourne. Perhaps they were injured, but surely if that happened one would have come back by now, and with no call for help where exactly did they end up? By the time morning light filtered in through the mouth of her den Ira laid exhausted. They couldn't be dead could they—? It was a thought Ira had been avoiding, but this time she couldn't stop it. It was the worst case scenario and she was sure she was overthinking it, but she knew what it was like to not know your father. By Gods, these kids had two and if they didn't get to meet even one— Pain surged again drawing an audible groan from the woman as she shifted desperately to find a position more comfortable.

This time the feeling did not subside. It was more than worrisome and the spreading pain caused Ira to pant as she quickly grew restless. It wouldn't take long for the Constable to put 2 and 2 together, this wasn't a kick this was searing pain. She was in labor. The contractions came quick and with each one, Ira had to force herself not to cry out. With a final push her first kid, a boy of golden hues had been born, although they remained still. As Speedy said, her instincts came quickly as she moved the blob closer quick to bite the sack and frantically lick the boy clean. Luckily he seemed responsive after what seemed like endless seconds. Ira tried to calm the rapid beating of her heart assuring herself that he was fine, but before she could get too comfortable the pain returned. Knowing now what to expect the second came faster, this time a girl with coloration much like her own and Winterbourne's. As soon as she drew out a response from the girl she would be placed by her brother to feed.

Ira panted looking down at her kids, the next wave of pain did not come but it was evident by the still visible swell of her stomach that there had to be more. These two had been fast, where was the next? Minutes passed and as time ticked by the roan woman grew worried that something might be wrong. Ira swallowed glancing to the entrance of her den. Speedy had promised to stay near, but she had no idea what time of day it was. Surely the healer would still use her own den, was she even there now? She opened her mouth to speak, the first syllables of the woman's name escaped before she was cut off, Spee— a cry ripped from her throat as the contractions returned with a force that caused her to curl. This was worse, way worse than any of the turmoil she had faced before. She hissed forcing herself to strain as the next pup breached, but beyond that they did not seem to budge. Huffing Ira swallowed dryly before attempting to call out again, Speedy—! She was almost certain the two born would be bothered by her shifting, but the Constable couldn't help it. She pawed at the ground straining in anguish until relief finally hit. The culprit was a boy, dark in coloring like Evergreen.

Rather the healer had been there to help or not, Ira had grown rather tunnel-visioned. She was shaking from the efforts of delivery, but she ensured that the boy was cleaned and placed by the others too. The last had come once more naturally. Compared to the previous siblings she had almost missed the realization that the final pup had been delivered. The last was a girl who in coloring also looked like Evergreen. The worry over the fathers had now subsided, too focused on her young that had finally arrived and the weariness that seeped into her bones. They were all beautiful and she could only hope that they were healthy. With the four newborns suckling at her stomach, Ira fell limp letting her head rest as she caught her breath.  The metallic smell of blood hit her nose, but in the moment she couldn't even bother to acknowledge it.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
Messages In This Thread
Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Ira - May 27, 2020, 01:00 AM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Speedy - May 27, 2020, 01:57 AM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Emrik - May 27, 2020, 02:12 AM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Wynter - May 27, 2020, 02:17 AM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Nutmeg - May 27, 2020, 11:53 PM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Ira - June 03, 2020, 02:25 PM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Speedy - June 03, 2020, 10:41 PM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Ira - June 05, 2020, 09:17 PM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Speedy - June 09, 2020, 11:41 PM
RE: Someone Tell Me Something Comforting - by Ira - June 10, 2020, 01:49 AM