Rising Sun Valley and the profit will outweigh the cost
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Set at Swiftcurrent Creek, which at this time doesn't have a prefix.

Generally all welcome, but also open for @Luke @Andalusia and @Harlyn

Once they had come down from the sprawling mountains, the valley beyond the well-charted western half of the wilderness opened itself up to them. As the early evening progressed towards night, the clouds began to roll in and scatter the light. And the place where they now trekked and would probably bed down had unknowingly housed a pack some time ago. This was lost on Mordecai, but not entirely. If anything, where it had been once well traveled was still worn in, but the growth and erosion of such by time was just as clear, and the vibrancy of the world around them had captured his attention.

As they scattered to do a fair bit of hunting, he dared to venture off alone in part to explore the terrain, but also to see what it housed. At this point, anything would have been fine to discover barring obvious death and danger. A little bit of game would have helped to ease a growing hunger that gnawed at his insides. And for once in a long time, he felt the weariness that came with travel; a sign that even he had been content not to venture so far away from the Plateau for a long while. The distance they had covered in a few short days was perhaps more than he had bothered to go in half a year's length.

With the cicada's song buzzing through the spotted canopy above him and the shadows of the day long, he delved deeper into the darkening wood. His steps were calculated and quiet, body tense and ears alert.
the dear hunter — trapdoor
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Invades.

The river was a welcome sight to the wanderer, who took solace in the chill it provided. His thirst was swiftly sated, and then the young man began to wade in to the shallows; he felt the pulse creep across his toes and then his ankles, but he did not go much further. Riordan was enjoying the calm and the quiet when he heard the cicadas abruptly stop their song - but only in one direction. Forgetting about his desire to relax for the time being, the beast hoisted himself out of the river, clamoring across the smooth stones of the bank, and looked around. Maybe it was just his imagination? Or maybe it was something he could hunt, something he could eat.

His paws grew muddy, and quick, when he began to explore the trees. The area didn't smell like anything of note; he couldn't detect any trace of deer, or anything larger than a chipmunk, and became more nervous as the moments passed. It wasn't until he'd made a thorough sweep of the nearby grove that he noticed -- there was something. Someone. A wolf lingering in the shade, presumably on his own, but it wouldn't be long before Riordan would notice the entourage.

He let out a small chuff as he rounded about one of the clusters of trees, popping up on the other side a few feet away from the oncoming wolf. Rio didn't want to get too close, but he was infinitely curious about this stranger - and why he looked so determined.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Not much further into the depths of the wood did the ambient din of the world seemingly phase out to him. This happened often with focus, and the very ability to shut out the world around him gave him the perfect opportunity to pick up on the fact that he was not alone. It was more than a feeling than a true realization as the anticipation built steadily; Mordecai thought for certain he would soon have the drop of something that would have been easily caught.

But as it were, the thing that was so easily caught was not prey at all — a low chuff came forth from the undergrowth and following it, was that of a wolf. His appearance gave Mordecai reason to pause, and his steps came to a cautious halt along the overgrown path. He may have looked disappointed for a second but it too was gone in a flash. "See any game in that direction?" he queried with little miss of a beat. Seeing how he had been intercepted, the question seemed fair to ask.

And besides, he hadn't been met with aggression yet.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Was that it, then? He was after a meal to sate his hunger? It couldn't have been the only reason for that focused expression, or the way he marched through the fields and between the trees. Riordan's brow creased briefly, but he wasn't really in the mood to care too much when it came to the stranger. He was pleasantly surprised when the other male did not outright attack him; it was rare to encounter another lone wolf that wasn't outright aggressive towards fellow competitors. A welcome change.

"Sorry laddie, all I've found in these parts are abandoned burrows," but the stranger didn't have to take his word for it. For all he knew, Riordan could've been lying. He tried to sound cheery though, and gave a friendly wave of his tail as he assessed the situation. "Could be rabbits, or could be nothin'." He had also noticed a strange monument of sorts, something someone must have formed out of a pile of rocks. Rio had lingered by it for some time, just studying it and thinking, but eventually moved on to the river. He had no idea it was a grave, and probably wouldn't have cared.

"That all you're lookin' for? A snack?" Seemed odd, considering how forthright the wolf had been moving; like he had a mission, or he was expected somewhere.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
i wanted to reply to this so bad before i had to leave for work yesterday ;_; *kicks work*

Not surprising, Mordecai supposed that the likelihood of finding decent game there was unlikely. Though the forests offered cover from the elements, he had the slightest of an inkling that most of the large game would be roaming the fields beyond. After all, why wouldn't they — the fields beyond the Plateau had been ripe with all that they could have possibly wanted. And in turn, they had all turned their focus to those fields. Still, it was with some fleeting hope that he had simply not searched for enough, and truthfully he was perhaps no more than a bit into such a search.

"Not a snack, though a small herd would do. Mouths to feed and all," Mordecai replied with a wane smile. "What about tracks? If you've seen some and will help, I'm sure we'll be more than happy to split the meal." It seemed a fair offer to make, though he had no idea whether or not the wanderer was keen on hunting. Sure, maybe he was a little travel weary and thin, but most wolves did not last long in the wilds of any sort without some sort of ability to fend for themselves.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Meanwhile, I write practically incoherent posts right /after/ work. Flails.

Though he hadn't asked for specifics, Riordan could pick up on the hints placed before him. A lone wolf carried themselves differently from a pack wolf; that, and the mention of mouths to feed gave him a clearer picture. This guy wasn't just a super determined individual - he was after far more than what Riordan could provide, or even assist with.

The question of tracks made the young man's right ear fan back, then forwards; an idle tic from when he was a child. "Hm. I haven't been scouting this place for long, but so far I've only really found small game. That and some fox holes - they probably can't resist the easy huntin' in these parts." So, that was that. Nothing worth hunting - at least for the lone wolf - but if this guy was serious, maybe they could track something down.

"I'd be willin' to help you look, though, if you gimmie a bite or two." They might have a better chance if more of this stranger's buddies showed up, but... Riordan wasn't entirely willing to trust a horde of strangers. "Deal?"
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
if it makes you feel any better i'm drinking while i'm writing this... but i'm generally incoherent 24/7. :P <3

Foxes? Mordecai's ears perked briefly at the concept of them chasing down some foxes. Granted, they were anything like a young bull elk or a deer or something, but it wasn't like they'd entirely pick the whole thing clean. And it didn't quite seem fair for them to go ganking one of those from the wilderness either. Foxes would work, he decided. Small and fleet, but easy enough to corral if they were smart about it.

"If you show me where you think the foxes are, I'm more than willing to let you have one," he said with a forming thin smile. "So you have a deal." Finding the foxes would be a trick, but nothing like catching them. Mordecai didn't think there was an overwhelming necessity to rally the rest of them on — finding one bunch of them would only lead them to finding the rest.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Eager to get a move on and (potentially) get a meal, Riordan gave a quick nod of his noggin when the stranger agreed to the terms. They would be hunting fox and not something more meaty, but whatever. Food was food - and if they got rid of the foxes, maybe better prey would resurface in the future. In a way, this benefited Riordan more than Mordecai; at least, if he were to stick to his guns and remain a lone wolf.

"Aye, then we'll get goin' this way," the young man happily commented as he led the way. The two of them weren't far from the pile of rocks he had scouted earlier, and so they headed upriver towards it. Before reaching the strange monument though, Riordan veered the path away from the river entirely - towards a copse of trees where he had first found the scents of fox. 

He paused before continuing - in part out of an instinctual urge to consider his surroundings, and in part to gather his wits. The stranger behind him didn't seem like a shady individual, but he had been tricked before. The scent of fox was pungent and it would mask the scent of wolf easily enough; for all Rio knew, the other wolf was using this tactic against him. He wanted to trust Mordecai though, and was briefly conflicted.

"Up ahead there's a burrow of some kind. It might have been a den," maybe for a badger, or something larger like a wolf, he couldn't really tell in his first passing, "but it must'a caved in sometime. I found most of the foxy smells there," along with some fur, and some bone. They had probably whelped here in the abandoned den, which meant there was a young litter around here somewhere.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Mordecai followed the other easily, giving him enough space not to crowd him but also not lose him through the tangle of greenery. They made good time as far as he was concerned, and the arrival near the last known location of the foxes was really about the only time Mordecai broke to head a little further ahead.

"Might've been from the storm that came through," he said quietly, eyes scanning their immediate surroundings. "It tore up a lot of things. Started some fires, too." Or so he had been picking up from the chatter around them. Where all those fires and damages were, he couldn't have said. But the pockets of charred earth and forestry told volumes.

Testing the air, he tried to pluck a fresher tendril from the amalgamation therein. "How would you like to do this? I could call for my companions if you want." Letting this stranger take the lead in the hunt was probably the best offering of trust Mordecai could give him, though he would not have been spurned if his present company wanted to go it without additional aid.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Storm? He must have arrived just after things had calmed down. There had been a lull in the forest, sure, but nothing to indicate a disaster had struck. Riordan took this information with a small shrug. Maybe some of the foxes had been in the burrow when it had collapsed? He thought about dashing forwards and investigating this new lead, but, Mordecai mentioned companions and the wanderer's thoughts paused.

"Got yourself some friends, aye?" Maybe he was being set up after all. The fur on his flank spiked softly, and Riordan took a gander at the grove surrounding them, being as casual about his wariness as possible. There was no scent of pack here, but that didn't mean Mordecai was all alone. The others could be laying in wait to ambush him, he thought as a sour look crossed his ruddy face. 

"Not lookin' to make me the target, are you?" Yes, being blatant about your mistrust is a great way to make friends. He followed this pointed question with a soft laugh, but it was obviously a little strained. 
"I ain't got enough meat on my bones to be a tasty meal."
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
this post is awkward and i got tired of trying to rewrite it so here you are LOL

He caught the gaze and the tone, and felt his tension rise uneasily. This wasn't exactly what Mordecai had been anticipating, but then again he was perhaps far too used to the inclination that travelers aided one another. There had been times he had found himself in the very role that was presented by the stranger. And though the fellow tried to laugh it off, Mordecai's expression faltered from friendly to stoicism; his neutrality turned up in his overall language as well.

If he had been so uncertain of helping, then why even bother? Though the thought crossed his mind, Mordecai did not voice it. "Not at all," he answered evenly. It seemed necessary now to be choosy in his words, though the instability in what laid in their conversation made him uneasy to offer much more. He debated moving on, but nary a step was taken.

"Look, we're not interested in turning you into a pile of bones. All I want is to find some game that we can hunt." He found a certain terseness in his own tone then, but Mordecai hardly could change it now. "We're not even interested in this territory if that's what you're worried about. We already have somewhere to go after this." Hell, if the paranoia really got to the fellow, there were little qualms in him abandoning the scene. Mordecai felt confident enough to handle it from there if he had to, especially if the gesture was about to be wasted.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
"Oh," he responded flatly, more like a surprised grunt than anything. That was a good enough answer to make Riordan feel quite stupid, and he let out a true laugh then: the sound rolling from his chest prior to a shake of his head. "I'm sorry. I've been wanderin' for so long.." But that was a poor excuse. Where had all of his good manners gone? Ah, but he was a wolf of Toraigh - not exactly a man of any sophistication.

Back to the matter at hand - this stranger had a good point, and by now Riordan was quite hungry. He could put aside his nerves for now if it meant filling his belly. "Alright. You can call them if you'd like. We could probably bring down more of the weasley fox-beasts if we had more help anyway." His tail fanned out behind him, wagging to and fro like a pendulum, as he waited. "Or we can scout around, meet up back here. Up to you - I ain't much of a planner."
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
*continues to derp*

"I had a feeling that was the case," Mordecai said, offering him a wane smile. There were times when travelling alone did in fact, get to them. They were social creatures through and through, which is perhaps of no surprise that they either did one or two things when they were on their own — they either found someone headed in the same direction, or they ended up in a pack. Mordecai knew few wolves who could truly endure being alone at length, and often times they ended up worse for wear than anything else.

With a nod to his new found companion, Mordecai went with the option to raise the others. He turned back from whence they had come and raised his muzzle, calling out for the trio of wolves that were bound to be lurking and wandering around. It was a low call, not meant to carry far; he wasn't around to go scaring off their quarry either. And once it had faded away from him, he offered a curious glance towards the weathered male.

"More is probably better in any case. There's bound to be someone else around who will benefit from what we can't finish off. Besides, this place looks like it's seen better days itself." After all, the foxes had seemingly inhabited it over a bunch of wolves. "It might help to attack them from all sorts of angles, too... I'm sure they're aware we're already here." With that, he offered him a genuine flash of a smile — hunting was truly one thing Mordecai did enjoy.
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
More was always better. Well, except when a lady was involved - and the only lady involved here, was some sort of mother fox. So she didn't really count. It would be easy to kill the cubs if they were still young things, but difficult to catch them either way. Riordan gave a small nod and sank his hind end against the ground, watching and listening as Mordecai called for others. He was still a little unnerved at the idea of being set upon by a horde of strangers, but that was probably his anxiety talking; he had been without his family for a while now, and was a bit maladjusted.

Once the summons had gone out, all that was left was the waiting game. They'd have to sit and chit-chat until someone else appeared... Or get to work and hope for the best. Riordan liked the idea of getting to know this stranger better, especially if he was going to be meeting the family. This place was a mess, to that he'd agree.

"I guess someone lived here once. Maybe your storm chased 'em out, or maybe it was the foxes," that was doubtful though, since a wolf pack could decimate anyone in their path if they wanted to. Rio had a high opinion of his kind. "I don't know why anyone would leave this place, though. It's nice here. A bit open, but nothin' wrong with that," but that made him wonder why Mordecai wasn't sticking around to this plot of land, nice as it was. "Where are you and yours headed, then?"
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
@Luke @Harlyn @Andalusia hay come here and let's hunt guise since i forgot to include you in my last post... >_>;;;

He had been inclined to wonder if someone had lived there as well, though it was hard to say at that juncture. There was just enough places worn in to suggest it, yet the overgrowth spelled out that it had been unkempt for some time. Not a long time though. So that assessment was rather spot on as far as he was concerned, though he didn't think that the foxes had done anything to drive out whoever, or whatever, had lived there.

"A nice locale across the valley," he answered idly, attention snapping back to the rustle of foliage beyond them. It ended up not being anyone in particular, just a bird making its way towards the sky. Mordecai didn't launch into a description of what that locale was, though, at least not immediately. "It's kind of nestled into a valley, nice forest. Near a river and all that, so it should have good game." He couldn't help but sound a little wistful; there had been plenty of nice looking territories over the years that Mordecai had been through. He hadn't seen this one for himself, at least not yet.

"You know, if you're interested in not being on your own all the time, you could come along with us. We're a friendly bunch." He thought about adding on how winter was coming or some other foreboding message, but that seemed more like a push for them to collect another body to take along. Still, given that his counterpart had just said that he had spent some time alone, maybe it would have done him good.
241 Posts
Ooc —
lame intro is lame, sorry D:

Like Mordecai, Andalusia had split from the quartet to peruse the land solo, in search of game or curious nooks to explore. Yet if she was honest, she simply wanted some time alone. After living on her own for nearly half a year, exhaustive interaction was easier said than done. Her fellow travellers proved worthy companions and ones she imagined she would be honoured to name as kin. But the journey wearied her, not in physical expense, but in mental tire. She needed time to herself simply because she'd grown used to the quiet, so when Mordecai's howl reached her ears, she considered leaving him be.

Yet something deeper turned her around. There was something in Mordecai that sparked in her the excitement of a child, a feeling she concealed to the hidden corners of her heart. He was the first and only Ostrega she'd met beyond her siblings, and his company was one of which she hardly tired. He was the enigma of a family that in many ways was not her own, even though their blood ran the same, and no matter the hours she spent with him, the wonder she felt his way never wavered.

The grasslands gave way to thick forest, and soon the scent of fox overwhelmed her. Masked beneath their musk stood Mordecai's scent, along with one clearly wolf, but otherwise unrecognizable. Andalusia paused before she stepped forward again, slower in her approach. Her uncle's call had been one free of distress, but she took the precaution nonetheless. Not every wolf in these parts was a kindly one, and only when Andalusia saw her uncle's form standing tall through the trees did she let her apprehension flee. She cupped her ears to catch their words, then stepped through the low-lying bushes to meet them. She waved her tail in good nature, though she eyed the new male with reserved curiosity. If appearances said anything, he was nothing special, but looks hardly told the truth.

As for quips or clever hellos, nothing came, though they fired rapidly through her mind. It seemed her voice was useless after a long day of talking, and she resolved to greet the stranger with a simple nod and the quirk of a grin she never could quite wipe from her face.
Trades
[Image: outrider.gif] 0/5
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
Mmkay, I waited to see if others would join. My turn!

Rio mused over Mordecai's words for a moment, trying to picture the location he was describing; however, his mind quickly began to reflect on the idea of enlisting with the man. It was a good option. And with fall around the bend, then winter, it would be imperative that the wanderer settle somewhere. He could hold out for another few months probably - but why wait? The opportunity was there, plain and simple.

"Maybe," he muttered softly, still thoughtful. He didn't want to appear ungrateful for the invitation - but before he could do much else, another wolf slunk from the shadows. She didn't seem too interested in either of them, but there was a swift glance shared between them all. Her slight smirk was enough to prompt a grin upon Riordan's face. "Ah, friend of yours, I presume."

They had enough to find and kill a couple foxes now. Riordan looked to Mordecai - briefly ignoring the female - and bobbed his head as if to say, 'Well, lead the way.' They could all split up, or Mordecai could prove how capable a leader he was - maybe it would sway Rio in to joining up after all.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
i was also hoping for another straggler or two, buttttt. lmao. anyway, feel free to progress this along if you guys want, i'm a terrible ship captain sometimes. >__>

They waited at length, though not as long as Mordecai would have anticipated before the arrival of a follower came up. A smile broke his face briefly as Andalusia joined them, but as it were it seemed she was really about the only one to come. Fair enough; he suspected the others had moved out of earshot of his not-so-loud call. Riordan's voice caught his attention and he nodded at the statement, though to say Andalusia was just a friend wasn't entirely the truth. But then again, not all relatives were friends, either.

Filler text aside, when the opportunity for Mordecai to take the lead came along, he assumed it quietly and without pause. It would be easier to track down the foxes with another set of eyes, and he had little doubts that Andalusia was a capable hunter. That was a confidence booster in itself, since he had nothing to compare their new found hunting companion to. Couldn't have been a bad thing either, at least he didn't think it would be.

Quietly as he moved ahead through the brush, Mordecai poured over the scents where they converged and scattered, trying to find where the newest of new lied from the growing stale. It wasn't until he felt certain that they were somewhere along the right path that he slowed his own pace, glancing back towards the duo to affirm that they had not strayed in his wake. He gestured with his muzzle for them to scatter — fanning out seemed like a fair enough plan to try and pinpoint where the foxes had burrowed away this time.
241 Posts
Ooc —
She stayed her gaze on the stranger when he spoke. More than a friend of Mordecai's. His niece. But relations were nothing to discuss with strangers, unless you wished to bore them, or unless they inquired. Her name would suffice, and she gave a small tip of her head in more a formal greeting. "Andalusia Ostrega." She inclined her ears in the chance he would offer his name in return. They wouldn't need it for the hunt, but the giving of names was a good indicator of one's character, and if he was to join them, she wished to know him from the start.

Time quickly proved the hunt would consist of their trio alone. Their number would have brought concern if they were tracking deer or elk. But they were hunting foxes, who were more cunning than strong. Their small number would suffice, and after such a lengthy ordeal as a traveler, she was almost thankful no one else had come. She followed Mordecai at pace with Riordan, her nostrils flared to catch any fresh trails and any leads further than what they now followed.

A shift in her uncle's movement caught her attention, and Andalusia met the command with a short dip of her snout. She eyed Riordan and nudged her head to the forest at her side, a cue to say she would take the right. Darkness clung to every leaf, and a few steps in her chosen direction brought an onslaught of fox musk, but nothing more than what they had followed before. Sight did her little good in the swelling night, and Andalusia set to work again in a continued effort to pry scent from scent to see if this was the way the foxes had chosen to settle. She kept one ear inclined for any sound from her companions. If they made so much as a growl, she would turn right round to join in their chase.
Trades
51 Posts
Ooc — JB
From what he knew of foxes, they thrived in the night hours. The darkness afforded them safety. It was a smart tactic for such a small creature, but not something that would save them this night; the trio drifted apart as they scoured their surroundings, intent on discovering and ending those little lives. Riordan was focused - he had listened to the female's introduction when she gave it, but the group began their mission not long after that, and silence was imperative - so now Rio was set in his role. Mordecai moved ahead through the shadows and the other two followed, with Riordan lagging behind them both by a few feet.

When Mordecai slowed to a halt, Rio slipped closer - he didn't make a sound, instead looking to the leader's expression and following his line of attention. The young man dipped his own head in passing along the right, inhaling the scents collected in the reeds, and found what had made Mordecai give pause. With a quick look to both of his hunting companions, he took a chance - adjusting his path in to a wide arc so that he could move around trees while he flanked the strongly scented position.

And in the next moment, chaos ensued.

He came barreling through the dark; first as a freight train of stomping, then of deep, excited barking. A flash of red-orange by his snout was the first indication that Mordecai had accurately tracked their targets. One fox shot out from the bush and directly towards the soon-to-be alpha, while two more pealed off towards Andalusia. Rio was left snapping at another, and mid-assault he gave a baying call. Adrenaline flooded his system - and soon, the fox scrambling for safety would fill his mouth with fur and blood.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
rly couldn't resist having him snag the one launching at his face... normally don't do that. >_>;;

Apparently the foxes had been lying in wait for them. Mordecai scarcely had a moment to react when a figurative explosion of orange erupted from the greenery ahead of him. The fox that shot towards him was teeth out and he responded much the same, catching it as it passed him by along its flank. The resounding squeal of pain from it only increased its want to escape from them all, but he easily overpowered it.

Nearly once did it completely free itself from him when he went to let up his grip of it in an attempt to go after its neck. But Mordecai was a skilled hunter and in spite of his surprise and easy grab, he soon had it captured again. But the thrashing made it difficult for him to easily subdue it — he would have to wait until it tired.
241 Posts
Ooc —
Sorry for taking so long :x

It wasn't long before a clamour stole the silence. A flurry of excitement, and Andalusia turned round and whisked herself back to where she'd split from the men. The bushes rustled ahead, and the scent of fox filled her nostrils. Two russet bodies burst from the plants in a swerving flee. Andalusia wasted no time. She planted her lunge in a diagonal thrust, met them on the side, and clicked her jaws mere inches from the ruddy fur of the fox closest to her.

A frantic yelp pierced her ears and the fox leapt away. He did not scramble far. With a thunk he collided with his companion and toppled them both to the ground. They were a mass of russet limbs, and Andalusia thrust herself into the fray.

These two were younger, inexperienced but quick. The one who had toppled over his companion darted away from Andalusia and peeled back in the direction from which he'd came. The other tried to follow, but he had shouldered the brunt of the fall and remained sluggish and dazed. She latched onto his back while time favoured her and a metallic rush of blood filled her mouth.

But her momentum caused her grip to slip and she released him for a moment before she gained footing again. She gave no hesitation and pursued. Her attention fixed on the fox, the twist in his thigh. His attempt to flee was slowed by a wrench in his leg, and Andalusia covered the ground between them quickly. This time she went for his injured hind and clamped down with a twist of her head. They fell to the ground together and Andalusia held, despite the fox's gurgled shriek and his violent attempt to pull free from her hold.
Trades
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Fading this out now. :)

After no more than a few minutes, the trio of wolves managed to dispatch just a few of the foxes. It wasn't an easy task by any means, but luckily for them they were capable hunters. Mordecai and Andalusia rounded up what they could carry back, and true to his form he was willing to split the catch with Riordan. But this came with an offer for the loner to join them and before too long, they returned to the rest of the pack as a trio.

A night spent in the comfort of Swiftcurrent then led to a morning of travel towards a final destination.