Blacktail Deer Plateau I'm Hemingway with a shot of whiskey
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
possibly if you have time Eb? :)

Dante had let some time pass before checking on @Lasher, completely unintentionally. At first it had been with reason, allowing Blue Willow to work without interruption. But by the time he came around, Lasher was happily about, if slowed somewhat. The alpha still worried about the blow he'd taken and the damage it had done but it was heartening he at least wasn't laid low for too long.

He carried a large fish with him somewhat proudly, his first successful catch from the water. It had been luck as much as skill that the fish had been slow and stupid, and it had caught his lip with it's fin in the process, but he had emerged with a prize. He carried it gently but with a pleased smile.

Now finally he sought the beta specifically to check in. He wanted to swap intel found on their respective explorations as well as perhaps discuss Saena's visit, as they had not yet. He knew that Lasher had seen her leave angry with a heavy heart and, though he did not agree with the guilt, wished to do what he could to ease it.

Away from the stream, he headed towards the mountains, hoping he'd run into him nearer the heart of the territory.
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
a deep depression had settled onto the man as of late. he castigated himself daily for the failure he had brought to lay before his niece -- she had left them for specific reasons, and he despaired of the rift ever mending. while he was grateful for blue willow's tending, her affections, the druid's heart yearned for his pale lover, for the amazon upon the surf-tossed strand. and not for the first time lasher wished he had the strength to leave for a time, and wander as he once had, an unbound and feral spirit uncaptivated by any individual.

thirst drove him hence; the beta set a slow amble for the stream, nares flaring as he scented the air. there was nothing here; their numbers had dwindled almost to nothing, a hesitant cough of placid wolves in a great forest.

the silver ribbon of the water loomed ahead, visible through the tree-boles, but taltos beheld the approaching form of his leader. putting aside his wants, the beta stepped to greet the gunmetal man, recalling in a rush how he had spoken of his affections to the alpha. it seemed that years had passed since that time, or perhaps he was merely old. "the fishing gods have favored you."
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It was luckily a relatively easy task, finding his objective, and he dropped the fish with a good-natured smile when he approached so that he could greet him. "A little luck for once. Perhaps I'll be a fisher yet!" Not highly likely.

"I thought maybe we could share? If you are hungry." If not he could save it for later. "I wanted to talk with you if you had a moment or two."

The subject matter wasn't dire or unpleasant, and so he was relaxed in the request. He didn't want Lasher to worry initially that something was wrong. There were certain subjects that might turn heavier, but none of it had to do with pressing concerns or specific problems within their pack. Just discussion of solutions to minor worries and a possible change to come.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
though dante's voice was light-hearted, lasher's appetite fled and his ears preened forward above features gone tense with worry. their world seemed to have been rutted in a difficult way; he was not optimistic regarding what it was the silver male had to say. in many ways, the druid had lost a great lot of his wonderment, the freedom that had buoyed his spirit through these years.

would that he regained such a sense of self, but he did not think that he would. "speak," he encouraged softly, settling himself and motioning for dante to do the same.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The fish was left beside, untouched and forgotten for the moment, in favor of conversation. He saw lasher tense despite his lack of urgency, and he was still a moment, wondering which to approach first. Finally he decided upon the more hopeful of the subjects, saving talk of Saena for after.

"I have explored some regions, though I haven't found anywhere that strikes me as a new home. Have you?" He figured the man hadn't gone out recently, with wounds such as he'd recieved, but before it was likely he had at least sought a bit. "I spoke with Pearl and she expressed interest in remaining in forested regions. I think that is a part of what draws others here." A musing, for he too would prefer.

"I was iffy on relocating but... I think a change would be for the best. We are isolated here." Their numbers were low and the mountains kept them defended, but also hidden.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
dante revealed the meaning for his words, and lasher nodded, relaxing. "the north would be the best for us, i believe. or i once did, before ... saena's last visit. either way, it is preferable indeed to the south where that monstrous pair reign." his heart ached as they spoke -- here was where he had loved peregrine and blue willow; upon this ground was where his children had been born. but there were other memories not so lovely that had also been created upon the forested plateau.

"a change," he murmured, and his soul warmed slowly to the thought. "where have you explored?" taltos felt strongly that he had it within himself for a last one or two long treks -- perhaps he would take casmir with him this time.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"I agree, north is better." He had gotten to the point where he did not believe the caldera to hold active enmity towards them, but nor did he feel it a good idea to move nearby. If they were going to leave it behind, better to leave it all behind. A completely new start.

"I have mostly stuck to the surrounding mountains. I haven't gone so far north as I wished. Though now I shouldn't wonder if perhaps west or east aren't better." He did not want to go anywhere populated. "The southern coast should be avoided." He flicked his severed ear absently in rememberance of the events that had likely removed an ally from their corner. In fact, he may have earned them an enemy that day.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
it was not the hatred bore by the caldera for the plateau, but rather lasher's insistent desire for their bloodshed that led him to the notion that they must move their pack due south. he caught dante's gesture, and wondered at it, but said nothing of the movement. there was but one seawolf with whom he had fraternized, and caiaphas could not be persuaded to leave the sands of her home.

taltos tensed his muscles deliberately, testing them. there was still a dull ache in his side where the elk had kicked him, where a lower rib had been snapped. the bone had since mended, but the druid rather doubted he could move in a quick trek. it would have to be a leisurely pace, unless --

"do you believe casmir is old enough to scout so far alone?" he asked. the boy was nearing a year, hale, and showed great interest in traveling far distances. taltos longed to go, but wondered grimly if his confidence in his abilities was misplaced.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was thoughtful a moment as he considered the idea. Cas was near adulthood and had the size of it, though he was ashamed to think he hadn't spent a whole lot of time recently with their younger group. They grew so fast.

"I think, if he is careful." The lands he'd seen held little danger, but he wasn't sure of the far north. He did not feel, even with her anger, that Saena would pose a threat if met neutrally. The same of her pack. Lasher would know his son's abilities better, and he didn't think the father would have proposed it if he'd had heavy doubts.

Then he fell silent as he considered how to broach an idea that had been pressing him for a while now. He wasn't sure how it would be recieved. "If... When we go, I think you should lead us." Lasher had never shown preference for rank or leadership; but saying it felt right. He would not step down lest he knew he had put someone capable at their helm. He sensed in Lasher something he lacked, something he felt the pack needed but was unable to give.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
dante's comment upon the aptness of the aspiring outrider was lost beneath lasher's sharp intake of breath. he knew that peregrine had abruptly and cruelly foisted the reins of alphaship onto the gunmetal wolf; dante had not wished to be ruler, but taltos felt that his companion had settled quite well into the role. yet here now was the silver man, offering him the rank and role.

taltos watched the handsome features of his companion for a long series of moments, becoming improbably aware of his breath, the twittering of a collection of finches, and the gentle rustle of a last warm zephyr in the tree-branches.

"i would be honored," he murmured at length, almost mindlessly. it was not that he craved the power of being at the pack's helm -- in truth he would have happily served as its beta till death -- but the enormity of his choice had not yet weighted his shoulders. "what will you do?"
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
you get post 1000!!!! :D

It seemed to Dante the moment after he spoke his thoughts, the silence stretched forever.  As Lasher watched Dante, so too he watched the beta in turn.  He saw no anger in response, but he knew this was not an easy task he lay at Lasher's paws.  If he did not feel the pack would be better for it, likely he never would have asked.  But the father had children, a mate, hope for the future.  And a caring soul with empathy for others, something Dante might have held once in great amount but now felt he was losing sight of.

He agreed, and with a sudden rush all of the tension left Dante's frame.  He let loose a breath, and his gaze when he met Lasher's was full of grateful relief.  "Thank you."  He only paused a moment at Lasher's question.  It wasn't something he had put much thought into on the long-term end. "I will stay, and I will follow."  For as long as it took to see them stable and happy, with many members and an established place.  Be that here or elsewhere.  After that, perhaps he would look at making a change.  But not now.  "If I am to submit to anyone's lead, I would have it be you." He could think of no other he trusted with it.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
yay! and love the new av!

"and i you," taltos rejoined. after all this time, he could not think of leaving the plateau to serve beneath another ruler. dante would be his last king, and now it was his birthright, the reins of this blessed, damnable, beautiful place. the servant did not speak of how he intended no failure, for that would be to breathe life into the very idea. he closed the space betwixt them swiftly, their shoulders colliding gently in the sort of feral embrace he felt dante preferred.

"so many memories," he whispered into the gentle rustle of the leaves. from the den where blue willow had borne their children to the place where they had once buried what they believed to be the remains of junior, blacktail deer plateau was a symbolized collection of every emotion. lasher was both loathe and relieved to depart it.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
thanks!!!! :D me too!

I've had this draft for days I should probably post it!

Dante returned the embrace and a pang of bittersweet sorrow suddenly pierced him at the thought of leaving this place behind. He wasn't sure exactly where it came from but it was unexpected. With everything that had happened, one would think he would gladly put this place to his back. But it was as Lasher put it; so many memories.

"We do not need to announce anything yet. Perhaps we can reveal both together. Unless you want to step forward now?" He smiled. It didn't matter to him, as from this point on it was likely he would defer to the man regardless of what his title officially remained. Lasher would be his leader in all but official capacity. "Doubtless Blue Willow at least should be told first." It affected her as well, this decision. If her mate rose then it was likely she would as well, though her reasons for stepping aside before still existed. Would she still remain as second to continue her healing? Or take her place at her mate's side?

He did not ask of his own placement. He didn't particularly care. He would follow Lasher no matter what the man decided and gladly so, for he could still feel the ghost of the weight that was now lifted from his shoulders. It was a heavy load to haul and he would do what he could to help Lasher succeed where he felt he had not.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"lead us to our promised land, dante," the druid whispered, overcome by emotion. he would be leader, but the last act he wished the silver man to give to his pack was the drawing them away from this wretched, wonderful wood. he felt that this was fitting -- in his mind, it was a natural end to dante's reign.

"i would like you to remain as our beta. your leadership skills have supported us through many things, and i for one would not like to lose them." his mind was racing, working -- luke must be told, for the move to the south would bring them even further from his lover's pack, which caused a pang to wreath his heartstrings.

he felt that the man must be weary of leading, and with many years yet left to him, perhaps the man would finally seek out love and begin a family. lasher hoped that, if so, dante would remain with their pack, but he understood if the silver man hoped to make a new niche for himself elsewhere.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Finally ;.; wah we can wrap this and perhaps they can go explore together soon yes?

If Lasher wished him to lead them to the new land, then lead he would - but he would not do so under false pretenses.  Before they left, when they announced the move (if not before, should Lasher wish it), he would inform all who would be their King once the new place was founded.  This would allow them to transition, and to decide for themselves what to do when the relocation was begun.  He had few doubts that they would see what he too saw clearly- that Lasher was far superior to his own guidance- but they deserved the choice themselves.

He almost missed the point of Lasher's next request, but when it sank in, he was at first not sure what to make of it.  He had thought at one time even the role of Beta too much responsibility... but for some reason, this time, he found he was honored by the trust.  And he would say as much.  "I would be honored.  Hopefully I'll be able to support you even half as well as you have me."  It was a rare expression, but it felt appropriate.  Lasher had become the brother he did not deserve, and he wondered sometimes how different things would have been had both his Betas decided to turn South a year past.  

After, he wasn't quite sure what to say, and fell to silently looking at the trees that surrounded them.  It would be odd, leaving this behind.  And he was sure, when the time came, he would miss it more than he even felt he would now.  But that would pass, and the new place might just become more their home than this place could ever be.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
fine by me! i'll fade here :)

likewise would the beta mourn the departure of his home, but the memories that would be carried forth would buoy his spirit in great ways. and with him too would be his family, the most loved beings in all his world. luke, though he would not accompany them, was included in this number, and taltos felt a pang as he determined that he would go to visit the man before they left the plateau.

he did not feel that he was superior in any way to dante, nor would he have agreed that others thought in such a manner. lasher was a servant; first unto the witches of the mayfair family; then to siku; then peregrine; lastly dante. it seemed he would be a servant no longer, except to the wolves that followed him.

"i spotted a lamed elk near our northernmost border," he chuffed to his leader, breaking a smile. "perhaps between the two of us we shall hunt well?" the pair set off then, one the colour of forest shadows, the other the tint cast by moonhigh.