Redhawk Caldera Settling down is hard, but there's a challenge anyway
Banned
19 Posts
Ooc — Kiir
Joining 
His first ever foray into the Teekon Wilds and Jim had already stumbled into a pack. He stood well away from the borders, wondering what he should do. Join, which was what his instincts were hyping up and pushing him to do right now, or piddle off into the unknown? There was certainly no harm in joining and he might even be able to find a family that he was suited to, one that catered to his needs and that he could do so in turn.

Basically a pack that he liked. 

Because Jim tried not to draw too much attention to himself, preferring to wander around like a flaming red ghost, it took some time for him to decide, striding up to the border as fast as his short legs could take him. He still stood a respectful distance away from the scent-marked lines of piss - for the reasons that he could flee easy if it came to that and so whoever whatever came to greet him could see he wasn't a threat and was clearly of sound mind.

Then Jim let out a howl, just as much as air his lungs could hold, knowing that it while it wasn't utterly pathetic, it wasn't his best either. it seemed loner life had taken the pack howl thing out of him. He'd need practice.

Tagging @Fox @Peregrine @Finley @Elwood for this to see if anyone wants to come greet my poker-faced guy
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It wasn't like the caller could know that the pack's Alpha female was due to give birth any moment now, yet when the howl rose up into the February skies, Peregrine quietly seethed. He was tempted to leave it to his Betas to respond, yet he was actually headed down for a patrol anyway. Somehow, that didn't change his flaring temper about it. He had more important things to think about than some whiny, needy straggler near his borders. He was tempted to just move in for the kill.

As soon as he came within earshot of the rusty red stranger, the Alpha almost snapped, The fuck do you want? He held his tongue—barely. He was so not in the mood for this right now but he had to admit that their lower tier was looking pretty damn empty. And though he wouldn't trust a stranger anywhere near his kids, another hunter or guardian would come in really damn handy right now.

"What?" he said simply instead, jade eyes narrowed as they scrutinized the other wolf.
Banned
19 Posts
Ooc — Kiir
The one and only thing stopping the male from his standard response - to intimidate - was the obvious aura the newcomer had about him - as well as the plain mix of scents ever present about him that signified that it wasn't just any wolf come to greet him. No, not even the Betas. This was the Alpha Male himself, grand high king of whoever whatever lay in this...delightful area. 

Upon instinct (he couldn't control it - and besides, his instincts had often saved his life) Jim moved his tail to stay low, lower than it'd been just now. His ears flattened automatically but otherwise, the ginger hued man made no more movements. 

His voice was surprisingly strong, a far cry from the unimpressive howl just earlier. Sure, it carried the quake of someone who had been a loner too long, quavering here and there from lack of social interaction. 

"Let's cut to the chase here, sir," Jim started, eyes raising up to meet the Alpha's. His short height meant he had to crane his neck just to be able to respectfully meet his gaze. "My name is Jim. I seek to join your pack." This pause after the sentence would give the Alpha more than enough time to butt in, or listen. 

"It's winter now," the overall tone of the voice was mild, probably what you'd expect from such a tiny creature. Mild as in not booming or anything, but with a certain thing in it that made it noticeable, something that would be listened to. It was like a tone that did not speak often, but once released, usually had others heed the words of the speaker. In hindsight, it was lucky Jim had that quality about him, because he'd be dead by now (from various causes) if he hadn't. From a complete size-lung capacity ratio, this volume was what you'd expect as an average. But the quality? Nope, that was not a talent, but a trait. 

"My most valuable skills to you and your pack right now are: being a decent hunter - I've kept my family's table full, warrior training - I may be small, but I've worked all my life. Hardly any fat on these bones." Jim almost wanted to add that he knew basic herbalry, but they probably already had a healer. So, assuming that the unassuming wolf got in, he'd probably be a hunter again anyway.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine didn't even wait for the little pause intended for his interruption. The instant the stranger looked him in the eye, the Alpha male surged forward, snapping his teeth within inches of his muzzle. He didn't have the patience for this shit on the best of days and he really, really, really wasn't in the mood today of all days.

"Let's cut to the chase, indeed," Peregrine hissed between bared teeth. "Get the fuck out of my face right this instant or I'm going to gut you where you sit." Yep, now wasn't a good time to attempt joining the caldera's ranks via its Alpha male...
Banned
19 Posts
Ooc — Kiir
My, my my. Alpha wasn't up to accepting members just because they refused to beg and submit at his feet? That was the most Jim got before his tell tale body decided to tuck its tail smack dab behind its butt, lowering its gaze. Why the it? If Jim were in control, he'd be up and gunning for a fight. 

Thankfully he'd made the decision to let instinct guide his actions. The body's ears flattened all the way possible, baring its neck to the leader, the alpha, the king - but all the while, Jim's mind was trapped deep inside the now nature-driven container.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Some other day, the instant and absolute submission might have appeased him. Yet Peregrine wasn't kidding around. A wolf that threatened his authority threatened his mate, his kids, his family. He wouldn't tolerate it. There was no coming back from this mistake.

"You deaf, mother fucker?" the Alpha barked even as he lunged at the other wolf again. This time, it wasn't a bluff or a threat. He aimed to sink his teeth right into the insolent dude's face.
Banned
19 Posts
Ooc — Kiir
K, so, thanks for the thread! Peregrine is so fun to thread with and I would honestly do it more, but currently he's pissed so~ But anyways! Jim hasn't crossed the border, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't harm him (too much. Scratches are fine)

The body was frightened now though the mind was in an eerie state of calm. Had Jim's physical self been his own to command, he would have calmly picked himself up and walked away. But no, it wasn't he that was controlling his shell but nature's instincts. Wonderful 

And I suppose I won't be seeing you, then Jim thought grimly, the body propelling itself away ASAP while once again, the mind kept quiet, life interested in other things than mentally snarking.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Au contraire, mon frère—Perry is no fun. ;P

Peregrine was no mind reader, though if he could have tapped into this guy's brain, it only would have incensed him further to know his respectful front was just that: a front. Luckily, he wasn't totally shit-for-brains, as he took the Alpha's threat seriously and hastily made his exit, stage left. Peregrine dogged his steps away from the borders, sneering and growling low in his throat, head and tail both arched stiffly.

As soon as the figure disappeared into the distance, he spun. He should have finished off his patrol, especially with how keyed up he felt. Instead, Peregrine promptly began to climb, eager to tell Fox of the bullet they had just dodged. Although hopefully, maybe, the pups would arrive soon and he would forget all about this most annoying of encounters.