Emberwood No one's here? Good.
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Perfect... the sarcastic thought ran through Spring’s head as Laika’s little mini deer let out a call of distress before it’s death.  Now the three doe’s had realized their huge mistake and were out for revenge.  This had absolutely not been on Spring’s agenda for the hunt.  Two of the doe’s ran back towards Grace and Laika, but Spring didn’t pay any attention to that at the moment going that the two others would be able to hold up against the doe’s.  The third doe seemed to be very suspicious of the distraction.  The doe began in Spring’s direction and dread began to course like a river through Spring.  Seemly turning her blood to ice through fear.  She did her best to swallow that fear down though.

Spring sprang out from her hiding spot and aimed to grab the deer’s fleshy left side with her fangs, but se never got there... a sudden smack in her side made the female yelp in surprise and shock.  Her body was smacked into a tree, then slumped to the ground, seemingly discarded.  Luckily enough, as if luck had been on her side, it would only leave a bruise.  Spring slowly got back to her paws, feeling pain course through her side.  Then leapt at the deer, this time much more savagely grabbing onto it’s throat.  She knew that she would never be able to take down the doe on her own though.  Hopefully Laika and Grace could help, unless they were in trouble with the other two does.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace turned in time to see Spring hit the tree, fear flooding through her. Two of the does were heading for their dead babies, obviously hell bend on revenge. Where was she supposed to go? Help Spring, or stay with Laika to fend off the two angry mothers. The decision was made for her when Spring went for the doe attacking her, and Grace's subconscious took over. She bolted forward awkwardly, running with a heavy limp on all four legs. She was obviously slower wheen using all four legs, but fast enough to get there in good time and rake her claws at the does face. Spring was now attached to its throat, and Grace had no other option but to terrorize its sides. She knew there was no way she could get up on its back with her bum leg, so she did her best to help by grabbing onto it's back leg and yanking. Maybe she could tip the deer, then she would be able to get at its spine. She worried for Laika, keeping an ear out incase she needed help, feeling bad for leaving her with the two mothers.
I promise I will love you forever.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika nodded to Grace, even though the female probably couldn't see her. She made the right decision to aid Spring in catching the last deer. Laika snarled at the two mother deer, barking viciously, enough to startle them at least. She lunged forward and nipped at the legs of one.

Finally, their survival instincts kicked in and the two fled together, white tails up in alarm. The fast escape of the other two deer just made the third one more fearful. She was alone now, and being attacked by wolves. Laika spun around and dashed over to help Spring and Grace. The deer was loosing energy fast. Grace tugged at one of the legs and Spring was latched to the throat. Laika ran under the belly, snapping at the soft flesh and narrowly missed flailing legs. 

Finally, the life drained from the doe's eyes and her legs buckled beneath her, collapsing to the ground. Laika silently gave thanks as she stood there, huffing and puffing. With a heaving stomach. She glanced from the dead doe, to the dead fawn carcasses, to Grace and Spring. She was thankful they had a successful hunt and happy they had an abundance of meat to fill the cache.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring took a step back as the deer dropped dead to the ground.  Her legs bucked beneath her, and she laid down, with a tired pant.  She was fine medically, besides some bruises from the kick, still... that hunt had been very energy draining for the three year old.  Spring forced herself back up onto her paws once more, eyeing the three fallen.  This would probably take several trips...

“Let’s all take the big one back first.”  Spring offered in a pretty neutral tone.  “We can come back for the two little ones.”  The brown furred female then added.  She said this because, the doe carried the most meat, being fully grown.  It would be best to take this one to the nearest cache first, in case their were any scavengers about.  They could always head straight back for the two babies anyways.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace jumped away as the deer fell, stumbling and tripping over her paws to land on the earth roughly. She cursed silently to herself, pushing herself to her paws with a decent amount of effort. Still panting, she glanced back over at Spring and Laika nervously before grabbing one of the legs and starting to yank. She'd never hunted as a group, or taken back anything as big as deer. She was more of a small prey hunter, things she could easily carry alone or things that didn't hinder her already poor mobile skills. With help, however, she should be able to do it, not ready for the soreness she'd be experiencing later. Her golden eyes shone with determination, even if her leg was already aching from the hunt. After they were done, she decided, she would go off into the woods and relax on her own, to think about her day and what she could have done better.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
"You alright Spring?" Laika asked, noticing her friend's pained look. "I could help you with giving you some herbs to help with the pain if you'd like." She offered. 

She turned to Grace in time to see her fall over, but get up again. "You too if you need it." She added.

She listened to Spring's plan and nodded in agreement. That would definitely work. "I'll bury the fawns real fast so no other predators will find them."

The white girl darted over to the two fawns and found a place by a small sapling. She dug a deep enough whole and placed the fawns inside before covering it up again, invisible to the naked eye. After she was finished, she shook her coat of any stubborn clumps of dirt. Then, she was back by Spring and Grace, picking up the shoulder of the deer.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring shrugged off Laika’s offer for helping her out with some herbs.  “I’m good.”  She told her friend in a reassuring tone.  ”Thanks for the offer though, I’m sure if I feel woozy or anything in about ten minutes, I’ll go get some herbs to help.”  Then Spring’s gaze shifted to Grace.  “Just as Laika said, if your feeling weird, tell us and both of us would be glad to get you some herbs.”  Spring offered.

The brown furred female’s ears stayed perked, waiting for a response, but she know grabbed the neck off the deer to help out.  She tightened her grip, just in case the deer’s blood happened to make her hold slippery, she would now have a grip that would probably be able to hold the deer pretty well.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace nodded at their offers, feeling the effects of the hunt on her leg. Not that it meant she would ask, but she appreciated the offer. If it got too much to handle, maybe, though it wasn't likely she'd ask for help. She yanked and tugged backwards on the leg, backing up rather awkwardly. She hoped the cache was close, even if she was having a good time with Spring and Laika. She wasn't sure what they thought of her, but they mustnt mind her if they were offering to help. Even if she hurt, and you could see it in her golden eyes, she was also pretty psyched to be helping in a group hunt.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika nodded and made sure she had a tight hold on the deer's shoulder. Her ears pricked in the direction of the cache. "Lead the way Spring!" She mumbled around the deer's flesh. 

Already, the weight of the deer caused her shoulders and neck to hurt. She grunted with the effort as the three barely lifted the carcass off the ground. Her whole body was beginning to ache as the adrenaline leaked from her veins and her once tense muscles relaxed. With a straining back and jaw, the trio dragged the deer through the Emberwood, slowly but surely.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring felt an almost instead tug on her energy as she lifted the deer and began to pull.  This thing must’ve weighed a gazzilion!  What had it eaten anyways?  Still the brown furred female was able to manage, as the trio made their way back to the Maplewood.

As they were walking Spring found herself begin to daydream.  Her daydreams were quite strange though, because all she could think of was her friend Ishi from Lost Creek Hollow.  She just felt this nervous tug in her gut while she was thinking of him.  Spring really hoped that Ishi was all right.  Maybe she could go out and look for him tomorrow outside of the Maplewood.  Ishi was always out and about anyways.  Plus, she was sure he could take care of himself anyways.  Spring resumed her focus back on the deer.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace did her best to pull her weight, but she kept stumbling and her limp got noticeably worse as they continued. Still she pushed on, though she couldn't help but wonder if she should ask the healer for herbs. She hadn't hurt this bad in her joint since learning how to hunt again, just under a year ago. Nova had taught her how to hunt on three legs, but they'd established she should go after smaller prey.... Maybe this was why? She couldn't get high enough on the deer to bite at its spine, couldn't jump, and she could feel her leg screaming in protest as she carried the doe. She worried she had hurt it again, somehow, and would lose her leg altogether.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Back now!! Sorry for my quick absence!

Laika's neck burned from the weight as her eyes wandered from Spring to Grace. It was entertaining just watching others around her - hopefully that didn't sound creepy. Her paw steps were heavy and careful so she wouldn't stumble or fall. Her blue eyes found Spring first and the white female noticed that her friend seemed to be deep in thought. Lines of concern were etched onto her face and her eyes seemed to be staring into the distance. Laika figured she would ask her about it later.

Then, Laika shifted her gaze to Grace. The little female seemed to be struggling with her leg and her eyes were having trouble hiding the pain. Laika admired the girl's determined mindset. Even though she was in pain, she kept going. She hunted very well with that leg also - she clearly adapted to it.  As the pain from Laika's neck came back to her, she realized she was slightly slowing down the trio with all her thinking. She sped up her steps, hopefully making it easier for Grace and Spring.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring found herself a little worried for Grace.  Although the back and scarlet female had been doing extremely well in hunting with her bum leg...  Grace now seemed to be constantly stumbling and her limp was really starting to get worse.  Spring put down her part of the deer, with a quick, yet muffled, warning chuff.  Then she padded over to Grace’s side, with a worried expression on her features.

“Do you need a break, Grace?”  She asked, eyeing the other female with slightly worrisome eyes.  “I could try to find a herb, that could keep the pain down.  You leg really seems to be getting to you.”  Spring fretted anxiously.  The healer side of her knew that it would be best for Grace to take a little break and get some downtime for a moment.  It would really be for the best.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace stumbled to a halt, unaware of the eyes on her and confused as to why Spring had stopped. She dropped her part of the doe, pinning her floppy ears and crouching, fear spiking out her pelt as the she wolf came towards her. Had she done something wrong? Her golden eyes started to panic until she realized Spring was trying to help. Shivering anxiously and starting to pant in both fear and pain, the yearling nodded wordlessly. Now that she was already half down, she couldn't stop herself from flopping onto her right side. Her hip was burning hot, inflamed, and even Grace knew if she kept pushing herself that her leg could get worse. Her pelt, too, was hot, from both embarrassment and from the effort she'd expelled in todays adventure.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika quickly dropped her end of the deer and raced to aid Spring in consulting Grace. She noticed Grace's ever growing fear and embarrassment as Spring approached her. Laika bent her head to let her nose gently touch the females leg. She gasped as her nose made contact. It was burning hot! 

"Spring! It's burning! You should really go get some herbs. Your better at that than me, so I'll stay here with Grace." Laika found herself feeling quilts for not stopping sooner. She should have known that stopping sooner would have soothing the inflammation. Her eyes began to flood with concern and questions exploded from her mouth. "Does your leg normally do this? Is this something we should worry about?"
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring padded a little closer to Grace and began to exam the female bum leg.  She slowly and carefully leaned her head down and touched it with her nose.  Fiery pain sliced through her nostrils, but she ignored it.  Her patient was in pain and that was all that mattered at the moment.  She kept her nose on the leg for a few seconds longer then finally pulled away.  Poor Grace, must’ve felt as if her leg was on fire.  She gave Grace a sympathetic look, before scanning through herbs in her mind, trying to remember one that would help Grace’s leg overheating.  She knew that Chicory would probably be the key... but no Chicory would be found here in the Emberwood, do to the fact that Chicory only grew in fields.

Spring quickly came up with a another solution.  She noticed a pile of cool, slick mud lay a few feet away.  Padding over to it, she dipped her right front paw into the mud pile and then hoped back on her other three legs.  When she returned to Grace’s side she began to slather the mud on the inflammation in attempts to cool it down.  “The mud will cool the inflammation.”  Spring briefly summarized/explained to Grace and Laika.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace hadn't fully realized how badly it hurt until she'd taken her weight off of it. The unwinding muscles were screaming through the fiery pain, and a strangled whimper escaped her throat. She yelped as Spring and Laika poked at her leg, ears still pinned back to her skull. The white females anxiety didn't help her own, and she was very afraid shed hurt her leg more. 
      "I-Ive never hunted big game before, I was never allowed, only small things."
Apparently it was to much for her leg. But when Spring put the mud on her leg and it started to cool, the red and black yearling just couldn't help a small sigh of relief. Already it started to feel better, though she knew shed be hurting for a few days yet.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika felt terrible as she sat beside Grace. Her tail twitched while her face held a worried expression. She hoped Grace would be okay, she really did. Her paws itched to do something, but this just wasn't her strong field! "Is there anything I can do to help, Spring?" 

At least she wasn't completely lost. She understood why Spring put mud on her leg. Maybe she could go fetch something for her? Maybe there was an herb that was too far away?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
As Grace spoke about not being allowed to hunt bigger prey, Spring sighed.  If only she had obeyed those rules.  She should have told them!  Yet, the past was the past.  It could not be undone.  Then Laika spoke offering help.  That sounded good.  She would probably need it.  More mud would be excellent anyways.  It was a good quick and easy salve to cool down the burning hot leg.  Laika could fetch her more of it.

“Grace, you should’ve told us.”  Spring began with a frown.  It was true, if Grace had just confessed and not been embarrassed by it or whatever had made her hold that piece of information back, this might not be happening.  She continued, now dressing Laika, by flicking her gaze from Grace to Laika.  “Some more mud would be excellent.  Grab some with your paw and place it on the overheated spot.”  Spring informed her friend.  Then without waiting to see whether Laika would help out or not, Spring grabbed some more mud by dipping her paw into the muddy spot and scooping some mud out.  Then she bounced back to Grace on three legs once more, placing the mud on the heated spot once more.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace flattened herself to the ground, pinning her ears at the scolding. She hadnt thought it would go like this, didn't think her me wouldn't be able to handle it.
     "I-Im sorry Spring.... I -I didn't think it was much different from other prey. I thought I could do it.... I-i wanted to impress you guys...." 
Her golden eyes were wet And glassy, and fixed firmly on her paws as she admitted her thoughts to Laika and Spring. The mud was cooling her leg well, but she could still feel the achy pain beneath the skin.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika narrowed her eyes as she listened to Spring. She studied her closely as she performed the trick again and then darted to do it herself. She reached the puddle of mud that Spring used and did excactly what her friend did. She scooped her paw into the brown mush and brought it up again, balancing a large pile of mud upon her paw. 

Carefully, she hobbled over to Grace. Then, she lowered her paw, gently rubbing the cold mud on the overheated leg. Once she was satisfied, she looked over at Grace's guilty face. "Just don't let this happen again," she advised. "Your health is most important."
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring listened to both wolves speak, then nodded approvingly at what Laika said.  Her friend was one hundred percent right.  The past was the past, but Grace would need to be able to not do his in he future.  It would really help Grace's health if she stuck to that.

"Laika's right.  Your health is most important, so even though you may want to impress someone with something that you know is not in your skill range.  Just try your best to refrain from proceeding."  Spring advised, this time in a much more sympathetic tone.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
"I-I thought I could do it... I-It wont h-happen again."
Grace mumbled defeatedly, shutting her eyes and whimpering slightly. She was ashamed of herself for not knowing her limits, but her anger towards her kin just seemed to grow. THEY did this to her. Her brothers, father. THEY were the reason she couldn't have a normal life.... And she HATED them for it. She barely felt her burning, aching hip anymore, nor the coolness of the mud plastering her fur to her leg. She barely cared, either, not past the upset haze that'd settled over her mind. She'd assumed hunting the deer would be the same as running down a beaver, something her leg could handle. The fawn had been an easy enough task, tiring but draining. It was the doe that'd been too much for her leg to handle. Oh well....
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika nodded as Spring added on to her point. She glanced back at Grace's  defeated face. She felt a small pain of empathy. She herself had once overlooked her abilities and it ended up coming back and biting her in the butt. If you were a true wolf, than you make mistakes. Many of them. You just gotta know how to learn from your mistakes! 

Laika wagged her tail just a bit, trying to cheer the female up. She trotted over to the mud puddle once more, dipping in her paw, and bringing up a lump of mid. She hobbled over and plastered it one her leg again.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring examined Grace's leg for a while, before she finally began to speak.  "How long has your leg been like this Grace?"  Spring asked neutrally, remembering Esaro asking her if she could mend Grace's leg.  If it had happened during Grace's life and she had not been born with it.  Spring supposed that she could try an old trick where you dislocate it, rearrange the bone structure, so it will set right, and then let it heal on it's own with a little help.  Only problem with that method was, without any extremely strong pain medications, Grace could easily die of shock.  Plus if she made the slightest mistake it could kill Grace too.  It was the most efficient way to heal... just maybe not to keep someone alive.