Neverwinter Forest before i ever met you
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
All Welcome 
Family member or curious outsider! :)

Kaskara never expected to be back in these wilds in her lifetime. She fully expected to settle on Everwinter Ridge for the rest of her days and raise a family with Kieran, beside her brother Scimitar and his mate Bazi. But sometimes things were not meant to be. When the mateship between them unravelled and shattered at their feet, Kaskara was sure Scimitar would go far enough away to start his own pack, but be close to his children. She went with him, of course, as she had found him all those months ago and would be hard-pressed to leave him now. She was a loyal wolf, and family always came first.

She was a bit surprised when their journey continued into the teekon wilds, past a safe distance for relocation. As they traveled, she guessed where they were going, if it was available: Neverwinter Forest. Though her heart ached for Nova Peak, for the life they had built there when life was good, she did not begrudge her brother his heart's desire. She understood his love for the forest, and upon seeing it herself, she had fallen in love, too. And now that they were here again, she didn't have any intentions of leaving.

Before I Ever Met You - Banks 
252 Posts
Ooc —
Being vague about other thread!

Eshe had departed from her mates side to continue marking the territory. It was day three of them being there, and they had been approached by the lead male of a neighboring mountain. Eshe had thought it rather strange they did not—on a mountain—have the means to hunt there, though didn't think much more on it than that, yet, having not really processed the whole extent of it yet. Neverwinter Forest had been the place of Scimitar's dreams; they would try and make this happen. Eshe had no intentions of trespassing upon the mountain in any case—she was a wolf made for flatlands and hillocks—and she sought to investigate how much space was between the packlands to ascertain if they truly were stepping on any toes. That was the last thing the newlywed wished to do.

The she-wolf caught wind of Kaskara and bounded toward her, her tail waving. Hey! She greeted warmly, smiling. This woman was Scimitar's sister, and Eshe was an ardent admirer of her. Before Eshe had become a leader of Neverwinter, Kaskara had been the dominant wolf above her; there was a great amount of respect Eshe had for the woman, and so the golden-eyed wolf felt it would be good to investigate matters with her, and see what she thought of the whole thing.

It was difficult not to dip her head reverently, as it had once been a habit. But she did well enough in her approach, keeping her head high but in a manner that was not overbearing. Her tail waved behind her, and she looked 'round for Keiran in case she was busy bonding with her beau, patrolling with him.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
While Kaskara had been beta below her brother's place as alpha in the last three four packs they'd lived in, she often did not require other wolves to submit openly to her. As long as they were respectful of her place in the pack, both as beta and sister to the alpha, she was fine with subordinates not groveling before her. Actually, she preferred it. Groveling wasn't pretty or becoming of any wolf, especially one that was as in love with her brother as Eshe. And often she did not bow to those above her, either; her brother would receive a firm smack on his head if he ever demanded that of her. Kas followed him, that was true, but in all else they were equals. Scimitar knew that, too, and she hoped his new bride understood their places were more like equals than leader and follower.

Kaskara smiled as Eshe came forward, and gave her a nod of greeting. They were equal, of course, but Kas still gave greetings of respect when it was called for. "Hey, Eshe," she replied, tail wagging behind her softly. Kaskara had forgotten how beautiful this forest was, and enjoyed the fact that Kieran was here with her again. And now Eshe and Pasha would see it, too, and be able to begin life anew within its snowy confines. "How are things with you?" she asked softly, and with a sweep of her nose, invited Eshe to walk beside her in their new home.
252 Posts
Ooc —
They're alright, Eshe said, trotting to her side. Have you spoken with Scimitar recently? We met with the leaders of the neighboring pack. I hadn't gotten a minute to inspect that portion of the territory and wanted to check it out for myself, the portion being the area that FitzDutiful feared. If Kaskara hadn't heard, Eshe would be happy to inform her of it. It was necessary to do so, even. In fact, she ought to tell Kyron and Goldhawk, too, as well as Pasha...

The thought came to pass, but she supposed Scimitar would inform the others. And Keiran, too. She waited to hear Kaskara speak before bringing any or all of her thoughts to light; her mind had been filled with a rapid, never ending tangent since that day.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
"No, I haven't seen him recently." Kaskara felt trepidation seep into her heart. What did Eshe have to say? Kas had been very good friends with Bazi, and so felt a little awkward around this new mate of Scimitar's, but tried her hardest not to show it. The girl was kind and bright, and although Kaskara was unsure of her mettle as an alpha, she would withhold judgment for now. As a wolf, she seemed nice enough, and only time would truly tell how well they would get along.

Kaskara sighed, knowing she needed to start defending the borders more. It was part of her duties as guardian. She had earned that trade back in the creek, and planned to continue pursuing it and the scout trade once they were completely settled. Kaskara had always enjoyed stretching her legs and visiting the neighbors and the others around them. "What happened? Which neighbors?" She asked, wondering on which border she'd need to focus her energy on now. She also wondered how her brother was taking it; he had come here wishing to find a peaceful home, and if already they were causing issues, she wasn't sure how long they'd stay.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Perhaps they'd have a chance to discover her mettle, but as for what she already had? Spiritually, plenty. Her heart and mind were fit for the fight, but her body? Not so much. Eshe could defend her rank well enough, but war? She had experienced a slaughter, once... war was not something she was physically prepared for. But this time, she would be.... she must be. Things had changed. She was an alpha, now.

The mountain, thataway, she gestured in the direction she now knew Silvertip to be. She did not speak of Moonspear. He was unhappy with our proximity, this neighbor. And so he trespassed and spoke of not wanting us to do the same, as he stood on our land, There was no hint of amusement in her voice, only aggravation. He was nothing but disrespectful toward me... but heeded Scimitar. We agreed to keep a wolfs length distance between our land. I'd like to give them a little bit more berth than that... Eshe sighed. She hated to be as empathetic as she was, then. She understood the others trepidation, after all, and they were there first when not technically speaking (as Scimitar had called this place home long ago, in his bachelor days). I'd like to learn how to fight, too. Really fight. Just in case. She could defend herself well enough, but Eshe was not looking to flee from this. She was looking to face it head on. Dominance battles were not the same as what she spoke of, and she peered at Kaskara to see if she might be able to teach her anything. Or, even want to.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara turned her gaze toward the mountain Eshe pointed out, listening to her sister-in-law as she spoke of what happened. Kaskara's face turned into a scowl as her tale wove on, and she wondered who on earth this wolf was who thought so highly of himself, but so lowly of them. "Disrespectful bastard," she muttered, turning back toward Eshe with a frown. "He shouldn't treat you that way. You are the alpha of this pack, even if we are not fully founded." Kaskara's words were colored with the darkness of a forming growl. She didn't know who this wolf was who came into their territory and claimed they should leave because he wanted them to, but Kaskara immediately had zero respect for him or his pack.

"As you should, Eshe. If Scimitar won't teach you to fight, I will." Kaskara's estimation of the girl rose considerably in that moment. She wanted to fight, and she was even here asking to learn. "Actually, screw that. I'll teach you anyway. Every one of us should be prepared." Kaskara frowned, chewed on her lip, and recalled a day when Scimitar had wanted her to create a sort of "fighting academy" for the youth and pups of their pack. Now it seemed their desire to have well-trained wolves was becoming a reality. "And any children you have, I'll teach. That is my solemn promise to you, Eshe Frostfur." Kaskara nodded deeply, vowing once again to protect her family in every way.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Kaskara spoke to her heart. She had agreed, but felt further validated by the sister of Scimitar. She had wondered if she felt crazy to want to chase him out then and there; had the high road made her seem weak? Seem like what she said was stupid and not at all meant? Eshe nodded at her words, having thought the exact same thing days ago.

Eshe's tail waved at the others words. Her own features brightened, despite the situation at hand. Kaskara would be a brilliant teacher, and to surprise Scimitar... she grinned. I could think of no better teacher than you or your brother. Perhaps Neverwinter could make a day of training. You could lead an activity where you give others tips and ideas... and if it was something you liked doing... Eshe did not know how to phrase it, her thoughts, and also did not know it had been a dream of either her or her mate. Eshe desired Neverwinter to be an easygoing, carefree pack... and it would be just that, it would simply have the means to defend itself.

And then the solemn promise came. Eshe looked to Kaskara then, and could have hugged the woman. In fact, she really wanted to. But the severity of it, and the serious atmosphere, stilled her. Thank you, she murmured, That means so much to me. More than you know, because she had not told a soul—not even Scimitar—of the past, of how vulnerable she had been in not knowing how to even fight to protect herself when the onslaught came. When her family, all but one, died... her children would not ever feel such a way. They would not fear for their lack of knowledge, because there would be no lack of knowledge.

But Eshe had thoughts, other thoughts, as the thought of children came up. You know, I have a stipulation for your brother, when that time comes... I need to know your thoughts. A serious look washed over her face, and then she looked away. It's nothing major. Just that they have cousins, she quipped, looking back to Kaskara, wondering her thoughts on the matter. Eshe was raised with cousins, but not within her own pack. The Ostrega's around the neck of the woods they lurked at visited when they were able... and she had been overjoyed. She wanted more for her kids... and wondered if Kaskara even wanted kids. Guilt struck immediately. I mean, that's if you even want children! Not a requirement, she tacked on. I thought it was a cool way to bring it up, all serious and... well,
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
It was strange how eerily close Eshe's suggestion came to Kaskara's innermost thoughts. If they didn't set up the training school, then at least she would be happy to host a day or two showing wolves tips and tricks of the trade. "I'd love to do that, Eshe. It sounds like fun!" She wondered if it would be just the forest wolves invited, or if others would want to come. Briefly, she thought of Saena, and wondered how her pale-furred friend was doing these days. Kas hoped she was well, but one could never be too sure.

Then her sister-in-law suggested something that might have embarrassed another woman, but simply made her proud. "I would love nothing less, sister." Kas pressed her nose against Eshe's cheek briefly and smiled as she stepped back. "I'm hoping Kieran and I can start a family this year. We've been mates for half a year or so, but we haven't tried having children yet. We've talked about it, but of course its not quite my time." She grinned, happy that she had finally found someone to talk to about these things. Scimitar definitely didn't want to hear about it, and Bazi had never seemed to have the time, or when she did, she wanted to treat it like gossip. With Eshe, it was easy to discuss her fears and misgivings, simply because they were in the same situation. "I hope our children can grow up together."
252 Posts
Ooc —
That Kaskara liked the idea thrilled her. That it had been a desire of hers was not yet known, and should it ever be known, Eshe would only be happy that they were on the same wavelength and that she could make Kaskara happier herself as an added bonus. Cool! We can bring it up to your brother, she decided, And we can decide on the best time to do it, an' all that. She finished with a nod, wanting the event to be held ASAP but knowing that it might take a bit of time to set it up.

When the next topic came, Eshe was at first relieved to see that Kaskara wasn't bewildered or irritated or put upon by the playful suggestion, as Eshe had meant well. But another emotion came over her. Did Kaskara just call her sister? Oh, oh gosh. Yes! What! The intimate name, and the fact that Kaskara... another sister, really! Eshe had always seen her in-law that way, from the moment they became that, but never said it aloud. Eshe still did not know the depth of the relationship she had had with Scimitar's former beau, and never asked, either. It wasn't her business, and it didn't change a thing about Eshe's own feelings for the warrior woman. It might alter Kaskara's view on her, but she hoped not, and to be called sister by her! An honor. A true honor. Oh no. Were her eyes watering? Oh. Yes, they were. And a watery smile, to boot, so endeared she was! Fortunately Kaskara's muzzle was against her cheek; she had a moment to blink them away, those damn happy-tears, but by the time Kaskara was looking at her again she was still dewy eyed.

Oh, that would be just wonderful! They'd be such handsome, beautiful babies, I can just tell! Her tail waved and she sniffled, licking her chops lickety-split as though the sniffle was due to an itch, or something. But she wasn't much of an actress, and her effort was of poor quality. Her senses were flooded with her happiness. Damnit, was she sweating, too? Well, when it is your time... I'm sure your brother would be so happy, she imagined Scimitar as an uncle, and grinned. It'd need to be talked about, of course, but she was certain that her mate supported his sister in her life choices. Particularly this vital next step she was prepared to take.

The next statement made her feel weepy all over again. Emotional. overload. You do???? She piped up, helpless; and in the statement alone, her fears came to light, her misgivings about the way Kaskara might view her, or feel for her. Well, you said it, didn't you??? Sometimes I just talk, she tried for a smooth recovery, but fell a little short. I hope so too, she said with conviction. The thought had occurred to her of course. It was a deep desire of hers, that was now not so deep and exposed to Kaskara. Eshe could be a very strong woman, but Kaskara's opinion meant a lot to her. Scimitar had loved Kaskara long before he had loved Bazi, long before he had loved her. And Eshe knew why, in being around her. She was a wonderful woman.

Eshe didn't care much for what others might think of her, and though of course she liked and hoped to be liked, popularity wasn't her priority. The Frostfur bride cared most for Scimitar's happiness, and knew the man had been just that as they courted, and as they claimed the Forest, and still remained that way. She wanted him to be happy for the rest of their lives, and while it was true they might run into trouble now and again—as with any relationship—she aimed to bring him that happiness.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Sorry about the wait here. <3 Do you want to wrap up and have a new thread? :)

Kaskara laughed and smiled, feeling genuinely like a sister to Eshe. She mentioned coordinating the training with her brother, and Kas nodded to that idea. It would be good to get him in on the action, since it was their idea to begin with. Perhaps their allies in the maplewood would want to be part of it, too, but that was something she'd have to ask Scimitar about before visiting Saena. Kas's attention turned back to Eshe then, as she smiled and tried to hide the tears that sprang to her eyes. Kas was confused at first, worried that she'd said something hurtful, but then Eshe spoke, and she understood.

Eshe was overwhelmed and excited to be called sister. Kaskara grinned again, knowing that she too was happy to have another sister in her life. Her parents never had any girls besides her, though they could easily have had another litter after she left. And despite their breakup, Kas still considered Bazi a sister. They were sisters in friendship now rather than mateship, and while she missed her friend, Kas always knew she'd follow Scimitar anywhere. Their bond was too strong not to follow him, and now that she had Kieran, they went together.

Thank you, Eshe. I'm excited to be a mother. She still had yet to convince her husband of this fact, but she had a feeling she'd get her way. She could convince him of the merits of bearing children rather than the potential downfalls. Kieran was afraid, and rightfully so, but Kas hoped to calm his fears. Of course I do! she chimed as Eshe exclaimed, and she smiled again. I have always wanted to have my children grow up with cousins, and it would be an honor to be a mother beside you. They didn't know each other extremely well, but Kaskara knew Eshe was pure of heart, and would be a wonderful mother and aunt. She was a good wolf, and Kaskara was glad her brother had found such a gentle soul to calm his.