Phoenix Maplewood I know that you got daddy issues, and I do too
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
This thread is for Phoenix Maplewood members only. Important thread! I'm starting with the assumption everyone is present. This one is an emergency situation for the pack, so rounds will be quick; short posts are encouraged! Next round starts April 20th, sooner if everyone posts by then. Following rounds will involve them physically leaving. @Luke @Spring @Shreya @Laika @Grace @Desna @Casmir @Chosovi @Gaia (@Indra and @Laurel if you want!)

Upon returning to her den, Saena rounded up her pups in the sunlight and howled once, twice, three times for her pack to attend her. The urgent message was the same each time: come, come, come! They've no time to waste. The Dragons could be upon them be evenfall.

Now, the pack is assembled in front of Saena and Luke, the former pacing frantically, with her pups protected by the pair of them but visible to all. Her jaws are parted as she pants, clearly distressed. She takes a moment to collect herself, then says breathlessly to those assembled, "Esaro has broken my law, gone to the Dragons and sealed our fate. They attacked him, his actions an act of war on them. Now they will come for us." A panicked sob bubbles in her throat and the Alpha lowers her ears to the sides of her head, hackles rippling, as she attempts to compose herself. The prospect of losing her precious home, of endangering her vulnerable babes, all because of a wolf she should never have had faith in, made her feel physically ill.

"We are leaving the maplewood," she announced softly, painfully. "It seems the Dragons are allied with Reek. We can't fight them both, and I won't—I can't—endanger the lot of you by trying." She licks her lips nervously, as if anticipating backlash, but Saena knows it is hopeless. This is their only option for survival.

"We go to the mountains and then beyond," she tells them. "I won't force you to come, if you would rather go your own way... but to stay here is to die. This pack's survival is my utmost priority." Her ears switch back and forth and she turns to Luke. "We leave immediately. There's no telling when the Dragons will come. We need a headstart."

This decision is final for her and her family. She glances at her pups, and knows she can stop at nothing to bring them to safety. "Shreya," she says, glancing up at the elder, "I know you intended this to be your final destination. If you do not wish to travel more, I will understand completely if you go to Reek now." She wouldn't be as understanding of others, but she stands by her decision to let them choose for themselves. "We carry the cubs. Protect them at all costs. Please, I'll need a third to help me carry them." She already assumes Luke will take one, and hopes Spring or Casmir will accompany to take the other. Saena stoops to grasp Milo's scruff, hoisting him high into the air before turning with the intent of leading her wolves into the wilds.
leave that old record spinning
745 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Cas had not been with Saena long enough to know all the details of what had transpired between the Maplewood and the Dragons, but he knew about Reek, and he knew the former alpha male had been coming around when he wasn't welcome. this, coupled with his cousin's obvious tension, was enough to place the boy on high alert -- he patrolled daily, keeping his nares flared for the scent of smoke and the grotto.

Saena's trio of cries split the air and the Mayfair boy found his father's speed within him, stride elongating into a swift canter that carried him to where their two pale leaders stood, his cousin roaming with obvious fear stricken upon her features. The other Phoenixes had gathered also -- Casmir's eyes cupped back against his skull. 

Esaro. what the fuck, man?! he thought wildly, angrily to himself, before his eyes found the old she-wolf he had met only a short time earlier. would she go to Reek? why wouldn't she come with them? but Casmir focused again on Saena -- they were leaving, and now. past the mountains. what was past the mountains?

but he had no time to think as his whitefurred cousin clutched a pup in her mouth and turned to lead them; without a single thought, the dark wolf stepped forward and gingerly lifted @Indra into his jaws. 

protect them at all costs.

with my life, he pledged fiercely, silently -- the faces of his father, his mother, his siblings flashed once before his mind's eye before he fell into step behind Saena.
please send all PMs regarding garait & casmir to relmyna
[Image: casfoot.jpg]
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Like many others in the pack, Shreya had felt it in the air. Others had seen it in wounds or heard it in tactical meetings, but Shreya, who stayed largely out of politics and never moved from the core of the territory, was one of the more ignorant souls among them, and couldn't predict exactly what was about to happen. But she had felt it, yes. The strain, the tension. The sad and inevitable fading of poor Esaro's scent from his usual haunts, the dim scent of blood carried by a wind from the northeast. Then the howl. Shreya had moved her den closer to Saena's since the birth of the pups, so was nearby when the call went up, and present on the scene as fast as her old legs could carry her. She beelined for the pups, her body low and submissive next to their little forms.

Despite all her worldly experience, Shreya knew little of war except what others had told her in their stories. Hers had been a reclusive and conservative pack, always peaceful and never changing. This was new to her, but there was one thing she could say for sure: I consider myself a Phoenix now. And that means flying away with you, Saena, and our packmates. She would have perhaps been slightly tempted to stay here if there could somehow be a pack-like group staying at the Maplewood, but that was not the case. Besides, she'd formed an instinctive attachment to her great grandchildren, and had much more to teach the youths of this pack. She would play her part and then some. Phoenixes did not fly solo.
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Unburdened by actually knowing what was going on, Laurel simply basked in all the attention that she and her siblings were given by the rest of their pack. While her mother was speaking, Laurel quickly grew bored however, especially when the pack's attention shifted to her mother rather than them. Laurel tried to pounce Milo, but just as she did he was scooped up by Saena. Laurel let out a haughty mewl, agitated that her playmate was taken from her grasp!

Soon after she, too, was presumably picked up by someone or the other, before she could even try to tackle Indra instead, and Laurel instinctively went limp as she was.
i will pry his bony fingers free
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra was excited by the commotion -- while the faces were not quite visible, the forms were -- the white shadow she knew as familiar and comfort (luke) paced back and forth before her, and she could feel the ground reverberate with her pale mother's words. they meant nothing to indra -- they were scarce more than incomprehensible sounds. with a delighted squeal she stomped towards laurel, who had a similar devious plan in mind -- only to be scooped up by a dark but also familiar form. she babbled excitedly from casmir's mouth, playfully snapping at the air with little teeth.
now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Densa instantly rushed forward when the howls sounded. Luckily she was in the territory. The young female rushed to their meeting place and watched Saena and...! The pups! Desna looked over the three bundles of fur, but she kept her distance when Saena talked. They-- They were leaving!? What?! But... Over the mountain!!! Where? Who? What! Mason lived there. Her heart suddenly ached.

Desna sat there quietly, what about Reek? She would have to travel over the mountains to see him and that could take a long time. She couldn't just travel there without it being suspicious. The young female realized that she disliked being a spy and that it was not her piece of cake. She felt like a dirty liar. She stayed in the background, feeling a bit guilty. It could have been her that wandered over that invisible line because she never heard about it. She was not sure if she should say anything, but she was probably going to follow them, and then maybe she would go to Mason and his pack, live her own life instead of being a puppet of Reek.
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Keeping Vague, Because of This Thread.

Spring had been hunting when Saena’s three howls had erupted into the air.  She started to run towards her Alpha Female, wondering what this was all about.  Upon reaching the assembled wolves of Phoenix Maplewood, Spring was shocked by Saena’s words.  Esaro was a traitor?  Guilt seemed to stab her in the gut, and she felt like throwing up.  If she had been human, she would have turned deathly pale.  Had there been something out of the ordinary that she could have noticed?  Should have noticed?  Spring listened as Saena brought on more devastating words.  They were leaving the Maplewood.  Her home.  All because of Esaro, the Dragons and Reek’s pack.  Spring didn’t now what to say at first.  She was just quiet as this all settled into her.  Was this a dream?  This couldn’t be real right?  She stayed silent with a surprised, depressed stare.  Listening to other’s as they decided to go.  So far Shreya, Casmir, the pups (of course) and Saena would be leaving... probably the Alpha male too.  She considered what she would do for a while, but then suddenly she knew what to do.  It was the right choice.  It wasn’t the Maplewood that was her home, she suddenly realized, but this pack.  

“I will follow.”  Spring vowed.  Then the female fell into step behind Saena.  This pack was her home.  She would loyally follow them to the end, no matter where life took her.  These wolves were her family in some sort of a way.  They were her home.  She would still miss it here though... the comfort of the Maplewood's swaying above.  The birds singing as the flew to and fro... and Ishi.  Would she ever see him again?  One of her best and closest friends from Lost Creek Hollow... without even saying goodbye?  She would have to, and even though her whole body ached to think about there last encounter and her emotions seemed to swarm her with wanting to stay near Ishi.  She had to follow this pack, and serve them, even if she didn’t want the last encounter with Ishi to really be the two’s last.  Hopefully one day she would cross paths once more with Ishi, her best friend.  Still the choice was hard, because she had a secret that she kept to herself.  She loved Ishi.  Now she would probably never ever see him again.  The thought was sad and made her heart feel like it was being torn between two lives, both with very uncertain outcomes.  This was the path she would follow though.  She would follow this pack till life stole her away.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
As Grace was on her way to the Emberwood, a howl beckoned her otherwise. It was Saena, and she sounded worried. She limped her way there, and placed herself near the edge of the pack. She listened to the meeting, horror growing. So Esaro had gone out in an attempt to keep the peace. She couldn't understand how it had brought war, but had no time to think about it before the alpha was calling for a move.... She was upset, but not as much as she should've been. She'd been torn, but it looks as though she didn't need to make the choice herself. Saena was leaving, and giving opportunity to leave. The little red yearling, though visibly trembling to probably the whole pack, stood and looked around.
        "I thank you, Saena, for giving me a home and a chance, I will forever respect you and wish you the best. But I cannot travel with the pack, finding it in my own best interests and your own. You don't deserve someone putting forth half an effort because her heart is elsewhere. Goodbye, Phoenix Maple wood. Be safe."
Before anyone had chance to react, specifically Saena or Luke, the little yearling had slipped into the woods and trotted off with her awkward gait.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Luke did not speak; he did not need to. He turned to touch his nose to Saena's cheek, to reassure her and to affirm that he was with her. He picked up the remaining pup, the one named Laurel, and let his silver eyes wander across the gathered wolves. Most are willing to follow, but one, the tree-climbing brat that had interfered with him on the borders, refuses. His muzzle crinkled as he snarled in her direction, but though a flare in his temper wanted his teeth in her hide, his paws did not move to chase her. Saena allowed everyone the choice, and the pack would be stronger in the absence of not one, but two traitors. So, he followed Saena, with everyone else that would.
37 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Gaia  was a young creature that held herself with a smooth pride – though was careful to reveal her submission to the hierarchy when in the presence of others. She glided with purpose – her pale tawny form usually poised. Yet when Saena had called for them with such urgency, her heart had skipped a beat and the girl had practically flew here, her paws stumbling over the other in such disgrace that had she been able to look upon it, she would have cringed.

Pulling up along the rear of those already gathered, Gaia maneuvered closer to the front, slowly, her mint eyes upon both Saena and the white wolf she had come to know as Luke. The others remained a mystery to her, spare Chosovi. Intently, her eyes remained fixed upon the leaders as they spoke, and with each sentence, her ears would churn back to her skull as she considered what this meant.

She was young, but not so foolish to know what such a journey could mean for the pups. Yet she could not consider what would happen to them if they chose to stay – and watching as a swarthy male swept up to clutch one of the pups in his mouth, Gaia felt her own muzzle bow down, quietly agreeing with the pack’s regals.

Her muzzle crinkled in distaste as a she-wolf she did not know excused herself from the pack, and with ire in her gaze at the girl’s disappearing form, Gaia released a gentle breath of air. “I follow you both and will help with whatever is needed,” she spoke quietly, her gaze drifting back to Saena and Luke. Her words were soft, and without question, the girl trailed after her leaders, uncertain where their travels would take them... but it had not been the beautiful Maplewood she had pledged her allegiance to.. it had been Saena.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Densa noticed that everyone was pledging themselves again. The young female looked up over the others. "I.. I will be there too," she spoke, though she was unsure if she would settle with them to the end. Now they seemed to be traveling over the mountains or maybe close to them and that was where she wanted to be, seeing that Mason was over those mountains and she might wanted to go to him. She was still unsure, maybe she would stay with he Phoenix wolves if they settled close to STM, then she could visit her friend easier and test if he was not going to leave her in the end...
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Characters are welcome to grab something on their way out, something from a cache or a mouthful of herbs or whatever would make sense for them, so feel free to reference that in your next post, should you choose to make one! On April 23rd, I'll throw up a concluding post and have this archived!

Only one Phoenix chooses to spread their wings, but luckily, it isn't entirely unexpected. Grace has raised the ire of the Alpha male in the recent past, and both Phoenix leaders had turned away her mother. It makes sense for Grace to leave. Luke flashes his teeth, but Saena merely watches impassively for a moment before muttering around the bundle of Milo in her mouth, "take care."

The other wolves of her pack pledge their willingness to follow, including Shreya, which does surprise Saena. She expected the woman to go to Reek in order to avoid travelling. She's pleased that the elder wolf is staying, however, because Shreya is an invaluable source of knowledge for the pups and a great help to the Alpha female.

The others—Casmir, Spring, Desna, Gaia, and the others—voice or physically show their desire to stay with the Phoenix pack, and with that, they are accounted for and ready. Leaving their caches behind is a crying shame, but Saena's insistent that there's no time to waste. It's spring and they can hunt and gather as they go. Hoisting her head in a signal and watching until Indra (bouncing and babbling and making a ruckus) and Laurel (limp and still) are picked up by Luke and Casmir, respectively, and then she turns to lead the wolves from their home into the wilderness beyond, their destination tentatively beyond the mountain range.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya took a long breath, and her exhale was not shaky. For while this was all very new to her, there was something solid about what they were doing. War was on the horizon, so they ran from it — to safety. They had young puppies with them, so paired each with some of the most capable members of the pack. They prioritised unity, and emphasised urgency. Dear little Grace parted, but rationally so. What was happening to Phoenix Maplewood was tragic and dramatic, yes, but not scary. At least, not to an elder who knew when it was time to shudder — and now was not that time.

So she focused entirely on summoning all the strength she could, knowing that there would be a long journey ahead of them. When they passed a near-dwindled cache she took a dead vole when her superiors had chosen their share, but carried no more than that. Shreya would perhaps be the slowest of the party, so she had to travel light, stay focused, and keep pace. She would miss Esaro and Grace, just as she quietly missed Reek, but her new life (the life of her golden months) was one of comings and goings. Change was no enemy.
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring was sad to see Grace go, but she was pretty sure it was because she didn’t want to stray to far from her Mother.  Plus this would be a good chance for her to reunite.  She silently wished the girl luck in her mind, before refocusing back on the remaining wolves of Phoenix Maplewood or whatever they were to be called when they reached their new destination.  Before leaving one of her favorite places on earth she began to think of all her favorite memories here.  Hunting with Laika, “iceskating” with Apollo, playing with/watching Saena’s pups, giving herb lessons, learning astronomy, being accept, find her den... there were so many she couldn’t think of them all.  She would really miss it here, so very much.  

A quiet bubbling anger brewed in her heart seeming to tear it in half.  It was all because of Sleeping Dragon.  She wished she could hunt all those wolves down, they were cruel and evil to chase them out just because of some mistake that Esaro of all wolves had made.  Even though she had no proof, she bet that one of their wolves had crossed too.  That was just a pure angry, ignorant thought though.  Just in the heat of the moment.  Yet who knew... maybe she was right.  Spring would probably never get the chance to find out.  There was one thing though that she knew was certain, it was at that moment that she silently vowed to get revenge on the Dragons.  They would pay.  She would make sure of it.  ..........
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
A few wolves pause along the way to grab items from the caches strewn about the territory, but to the pack's great misfortune, they leave the majority of their belongings behind. This is the life of the wolf, though; they are nomads by blood and now nomads in name. They can hunt on the go, rest wherever shelter may be found, and remain ever one step ahead of their adversaries. Resplendent phoenixes are much faster than sleepy dragons, a fact that would be proven by their hasty flight.

For while Thuringwethil is surely plotting war atop her smoking mount, Saena believes it to be Phoenix Maplewood's victory to escape this unscathed, to be given advanced warning by the bumbling fool that awakened the dragons. A land under constant threat on both sides isn't worth it, after all, and with the safety of her pups and wolves to consider, losing the maplewood is no skin off the Alpha female's back, a fact she will come to acknowledge in time (presently she is much too rattled). Had there been no cubs, and had Esaro not revealed the alliance between Reek and the Dragons, perhaps the pack would've stayed and fought for what was theirs, and perhaps emerged victorious. As it was, there was no point trying.

When they breach the trees, she glances back one last time, knowing this is the best course for them, and then leads her wolves to the mountains, leaving the taiga behind for good.