Redtail Rise the unexpected
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
All Welcome 
She walked along the Southern rise of the mountain. Though it was a long trek, she prefered to stay on the foot hills rather than climb over the rocks and back down. She turned to face the wind in hopes of catching the scent of something edible. After traveling a long ways, it would be nice to have the added energy of a meal. Her tail swayed ever so slightly when she saw a hare. Without hesitating, she carefully crept close enough to rush the small animal. However, the hare had easily spotted her in the empty space and escaped into the safety of a small gap between fallen rocks. With a huff she walked away, letting her mind wander back to when she had others to help with a large hunt.
VI
Maybe The Rain Is Our Tears During Our Cloudiest Hours, & The Thunder and Lightning Are Sounds Of Our Hearts Breaking.
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Naturally, it didn't take long after chaos to die down that Zephyr was out exploring again. His wide, snowy paws thumped against the ground even at his usual bouncy gait. The massive crow-black male turned towards Redtail Rise, thinking maybe perhaps the burnt down area might have been ignored by the locusts and harbored some prey. A familiar scent reached his parted jaws, touching his tongue. No.... It-it couldn't be! He couldn't help himself, bursting out into a gallop towards the scent of his former beta. He loosed a low, friendly, excited howl for her: surely even after all this time she would remember him? She'd vanished in the flood, not even making it to the mountains to be harrassed by the cougars. They'd assumed she was dead, and he hadn't picked another beta afterwards. Was she okay? Where had she gone, why not return to the pack?
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
Hearing a howl, Rana dismissed her thoughts and stood on alart. The sound was familiar, but she couldn't place a name or scent to it, as the wind blew towards the sound. She then saw a dark form moving quickly towards her. On instinct, she stood tall in expectation of a dispute of some sort. When the wolf was closer yet, she noticed the white splash on his chest and the socks. Her mind froze, she knew there were plenty of wolves who looked alike, but after hearing the howl and seeing the familiar pattern her defenses went down. She took a few shaky steps before stopping, fearing that she would fall over. Someone else survived the flood, she hadn't been the only one!
VI
Maybe The Rain Is Our Tears During Our Cloudiest Hours, & The Thunder and Lightning Are Sounds Of Our Hearts Breaking.
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
When she first came into sight, the dark female was on defence. Zephyr didn't slow, he was just too excited. Rana was alive! The closer he got, the more relaxed she grew. It was clear from the look in her eyes that she remembered him and their time together. The ebony male only glanced her over to make sure she wasn't injured before he was leaping for her, paws outstretched. His grassy eyes were bright and intent, focused on her and nothing but her. 
            "You're alive!"
His aim was to tackle her and lavish her in licks and nuzzles, not only showing her affection but also wishing to mingle their scents once again.
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
She could've moved out of the way, but chose not to, thinking he would stop before running into her. So when she was tackled a yelp of surprise escaped her throat. When nuzzled, she returned it before trying poorly to escape, she'd been alone long enough that affection felt stranger to her than it should.
"I thought I was the only one to survive," with that, the happyness she felt at seeing her old pack's alpha faded to grief and regret. She knew something must have happened to the rest of the pack, otherwise Zephyr wouldn't be in this territory, it was too far from the original.
"If I'd know, I would've tried to find you and the others. I should have looked instead of thinking the worst." She pinned her ears, letting out a whimper.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
He didn't keep her long, rolling off of the black female and laying beside her with a goofy grin plastered across his face. His old friend, however, did not seem as excited for very long. Guilt claimed her pretty features, and Zephyr pressed his head into her shoulder as his smile and good mood faded. She was right in both assumptions, both being one of the only survivors and that something had happened to the pack. The former alpha himself had only just finished returning to his usual 150 pounds, not to mention stabilizing his sanity and mental health. He couldnt look her in the eyes as he began his story.
    "The majority of ShadowFax survived, actually, for another good while.... R-Rinda and I moved the dens to the mountains, and kept on patrolling the same lands. I don't blame you for not coming back, Rana.... Mountain lions picked us off until we eventually disbanded. Of course some, Rinda and Syon included, followed me in hopes to find a new home."
It was hard to go through, his voice choking in hopes to cut off the words that wrought unimaginable pain to him. Names, Rindas in particular, absolutely broke his heart. 
                       "One by one, everyone was picked off.... I'll spare you details. Eventually, I came here, on my last legs and out of my mind. I'm serving alphas right now, but I plan to start my own pack soon."
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
Rana sat up and nuzzled his shoulder. She turned away from Zephyr half way through the story, it was hard just to hearhow most of the pack survived, let alone being picked off by mountain lions. When she heard that Syon has survived both the flood and attack, she lowered her head, even more ashamed of herself.
"If you can handle saying it, go ahead. I was part of the pack and consitered every single wolf as friends or even family, didn't matter if I talked to them every day or not." She felt she had to know, even though just the small part she'd heard nearly made her break down.
"And with you starting a new pack, you know I'll be there to help. I won't run again." She turned again to her friend and raised her head high.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Rana wanted to know, and rightfully so. She was part of their family, and she had a right to know about their fates. Very well.... 
         "Syon went peacefully, I'm glad to say. She fought like hell to stay by my side as long as she could, but old age was something that she just couldnt avoid."
Might as well start with the one she was likely most worried about.                          "Two of my sons and my youngest, my daughter, three of my five puppies with Rinda, theyd come with me. The boys died of some sickness and my girl wasnt far after, hunting accident. Rinda was the last.... She stayed loyal to me the entire time, never knowing if we would survive."
Telling the story of his first love was the worst feeling in the world...but he told it.
                                          "This past Winter, is caught some scrawny little piece of prey. We weren't doing so good, and apparently others weren't either. They attacked us for not giving up the meal, both got beat up bad but...  Well, she couldn't pull through."
He still couldn't meet her eyes, his own guilt claiming him. Why didn't he just give them the prey?
 "Rana, I'm GLAD you took off. It saved your life.... I know you would never abandon me."
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
Rana looked down, it helped a little knowing Syon didn't suffer too much after everything that happened. She was a little surprised to hear that not all of his pups followed, but thought it best not to ask. Not only that, but she never really got to know them. Before the rest of the story, she thought Rinda would've made it, but a fight with a desprite wolf usually meant one would die.
"I'm sorry for asking," she licked his ear and nuzzled him, trying to comfort him. She felt bad for asking, but even worse for making him relive what happened.
"I would've found some way to survive, and if I'd been there I would've been able to help. But after everything, at least we're still around to make sure they're not forgotten like other packs. I found another pack not long after the flood, and wasn't even around long enough to completely earn their trust. I was out hunting for myself when hunters came for them, and I'm willing to bet they weren't the only ones." She closed her eyes, remembering the sounds she heard while on her way back and the smell of blood as the breeze past.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Zephyr trembled slightly, from both the story telling and the excitement of having Rana here. It was a lot to the ebony male, even though there was always a possibility someone from the pack ran into him. There were survivors, after all, some split from the mountains away from him.. Would he one day see his eldest again one day? Had she has pups of her own.... Had she survived? He didn't expect Rana to hurt over the pups, they'd been born just a week before the flood. The beta hadn't known them outside Rinda. 
Rana apologized, nuzzled him, told her own story. Itd been a long time since hed felt her strength, been able to lean against her. He licked her shoulder softly, relishing in her comforting scent. The things shed helped him through, talked him through, supported him through.... It seemed that she'd been lucky enough to survive it all so far, as he had. 
            "I'm glad the two of us were survivors, be it from luck or skill. If nobody else could survive.... Well, I'm glad I have something familiar in this new world. It gives me hope for a new future."
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
She watched him for a few moments before bowing in a stretch. After so long not knowing what would happen, everything seemed to be turning brighter despite the recent swarm of locusts. Sitting back up, she turned to look at the mountain, then out at the baren land with a nod.
"So, to change the subject to your plans on a new pack, where are you planning on moving to?" she tilts her head. If needed she was willing to go scout areas.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Zephyr watched her get up and stretch, and it looked like it felt so good that he too stood and stretched himself out like a feline might. It felt as wonderful as he'd hoped. She asked of the pack, and he couldn't help but sigh.
           "I've scouted a bit, but I just haven't found the right place yet."
Not that it mattered. He had things to do, first, and supposed he should tell Rana now rather than later.
                       "I've made a promise anyways, you see. I've taken a young wolfdog named Rain into my heart, and I'm her father figure. I want her and her mother to come with me... But she won't come until she's certain nobody is hurt."
At the mention of Lyric, the wolfdogs mother, his grassy eyes seemed to light up a little more.
                                         "Sen and Depp, our alphas, have only just started themselves. We make up a bulk of the rank at the moment, and I promised her I wouldn't leave until they had enough wolves to run the pack."
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
Rana noticed how her friend's eyes lit up and nods. She understood the want to help the pack, even if plans were to leave at some point. Everyone had a part to play when making a pack work, with it's members being the most important.
"Tell you what, I'll come and meet them, see what the pack's like a little. After I get a feel for what they're about I'll do what I can about getting more members." Even if it took awhile, the job would give her something to do other than waiting around.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
A soft smile spread across his features, and he was again hit with a wave of gratitude for his former beta. They'd always easily understood each other, always been easy to agree. More so, they simply worked together, had the same opinions on a lot of things.
"I'm sure they wouldn't turn down the help after these locusts, especially not with a pregnant alpha."
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
Rana noded once again, closing her eyes as she did. It would be a change to be around pups again, since the last time had been before the flood. Her tail swayed slightly as she took a few steps forwards, stopping to look back.
"So, how far's the pack?"
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
The ebony wolf stepped forwards, towards Seadog Santuary, and nodding in its direction before starting off at an easy trot.
         "We've gotta be careful, packs up here are a little more aggressive than others."
His grassy eyes scanned the barren land as they went, happy to be able to see for a good distance and not at all bothered to be in the open. He thrived in mountain lands, this was nothing!
56 Posts
Ooc — Makayla
She followed close behind, careful not to pass him. The open wasn't as comfortable to her, but she would get use to it in time. For now she glanced around from time to time, looking for any sign of movement. Hearing about how the other packs weren't as welcoming put her even more on edge then she had been.