Silvertip Mountain In the shadow of the mountain
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Joining 
This land was gorgeous, though it must be even more so when it wasn't so bare. On his journey, Phocion had heard tales of insects, millions of them, ravaging the wilds, destroying plant matter and leaving the green-eaters to starve. He had stayed on the coast through his journey north, and was just now turning inland. Besides the marvelous scenery surrounding the silvery mountain ahead, he had gotten away from that ever-pervasive, horrendous fishy smell beside the ocean. Phocion wrinkled his nose in memory of the stench.

He was humming a song under his breath as he went along, a bawdy tune taught to him by a few of the loners he had camped with along the sea. He smiled in memory. Those salty mercenaries, though fierce in both appearance and nature, made great friends and companions. He would miss them, and would always envy their carefree existence, but Phocion knew it was time to grow up and commit. Wolves were, seemingly by design, social creatures. It was time for him to join a proper pack. Only then would he have the chance to grow and thrive.

So when heavy scent markings near the edge of the mountain brought him to a sudden halt, he was pleased. He took in the mixed aromas, and ascertained the presence of just a few adult wolves, perhaps some pups in the mix as well. The mountainside was formidable; Phocion knew these were likely hardy animals that lived here. Perfect. No room in this world for weaklings.

"Let's see what I find here," Phocion said with a wry chuckle, and gave a long, tenor howl of greeting, falling silent as the sound echoed through the night air and awaiting his entrance interview, if he were indeed granted one.
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Hearing the sound of a howl awake Krypton from her sleep, she spent no time making her way over. Her steps were loud, alerting her family that someone was near. They also alerted the new wolf that she was huge, formidable, and not afraid to throw her weight around.

with her head held high from her ranking, she trotted her way over. Her tail and hackles rose as she observed the wolf in front of her.

"What is your business here?" She asked in a monotone, her glassy irises starring at the other.

the moon outlined him, she could tell it was a male from his body type. If he was looking for a home, STM could use a few members with the new batch of pups. However, Krypton would be sure to give a thorough interview. With pups around, she would be extra careful with recruits.
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
The wolf that greeted his call was large and strong. . .and a female. Huh, Phocion thought softly, intrigued. She dwarfed his small, slender form, and he surreptitiously attempted to make himself a bit bigger, while still carrying himself with respect towards this pack member.

"Hello, there," Phocion said to her with a boyish smile. "My name is Phocion. I've come to join your pack, if you'll have me. Who might you be?"

He took a moment to look the other wolf over, though making sure to keep his eyes only curious, not lascivious. She was a magnificent creature, with thick fur a mixture of browns grays and tans. Her green-gold eyes glinted in the darkness.

If every wolf in this pack is as strong and self-assured as this female, I'll have chosen a great group to be a part of, Phocion noted, the smile still etched on his muzzle.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady had not slept well in the last weeks, and had stopped trying to force himself to sleep. Instead, he had gotten up and patrolled the borders. Tonight was no different. His body was showing the effects of not eating much, though he still looked like a formidable opponent with his long legs and muscular body. It was his mind, though, that backed himself up. He had the knowledge to fight, as well as the brawn. 

The howl reached his ears and he paused only momentarily before heading in the direction in which it came. He was happy to see Krypton was already there, speaking with the stranger. Steady approached the pair, his head and tail held high in dominance, though no aggression showed in his features. He stopped alongside his Gamma, giving her the opportunity to answer the male, if she so wished. If he wanted to be rude, he would have interjected that the other male had no right to ask the questions here, and Krypton would volunteer information of herself if she wanted to. But, Steady was not a rude wolf, and knew he was simply protective of Krypton. She was an asset to the pack, a close friend, and he would not have anyone disrespecting her.

A few months ago, Steady would have likely approached in a more friendly matter, excited for the potential of a new pack mate. While he still was, his personality had changed since his brother's death, and the lush lands turned brown. He was more business-like in his approach to strangers, especially since Mara Susi had left without a word. Again. He had trusted her, and if he was honest with himself, he would admit that it had hurt like a crushing blow. Because of her, he looked at new members as if they were just the next wolf to let him down, to leave without so much as a word to anyone. 

He looked over the stranger, but was more interested in his brain and what he thought he could offer Silvertip Mountain. What are your skills? Steady asked, his voice showing his curiosity, even as his expression remained neutral. There was one specific asset he was interested in above all others- loyalty. Hunting, guarding, caregiving- that could all be taught. Loyalty, however, needed to already be present in order for Steady to spend any time on the others. Otherwise, he would simply be wasting his time.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Now a second wolf had joined the female, a sturdy guy with black fur. He gave the newcomer a friendly smile in greeting.

"Jack of all trades, master of some," he quipped, though his voice was grave. "Hunting. Tracking. Fighting. Babysitting, if need be." He paused and gave the wolf a direct look. "Undying fealty."

Phocion returned to his earlier thoughts about the supposed strength of this pack. Here had come another huge wolf. The pair of them could eat him for breakfast if need be, and spit out his bones for the vultures to pick at. Not for the first time, he rued his slender form.

Yet he brought brains, and fearlessness, and opened his mouth to say as much to the pair of them. "I've been through a lot in my young life, and I'm brave," Phocion said. "What I lack in size I make up with cunning. If you guys accept me, you have my word that I'd fight for you. Kill for you. Die for you."

Not bad, Phocion, he praised himself, thinking over the words he had carefully crafted. Hopefully I'm convincing them as well as I'm convincing myself.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
He was small, but he tried to make his body come off as bigger. Krypton could feel the ripple affect start to take place on her spine, her hackles almost raising even higher.

However, she had to stay on the top here. He was still repspecting her, and he offered a smile as he answered her question.

Phocion. Strange name.

He looked quite young, perhaps brand spanking new to being a loner. However, it seemed he knew how the process went.

he soon asked her a question, for her name. She felt that her name was not quite needed, but she decided to throw it out there. "Krypton, gamma of the mountain pack". Her voice was blunt, along with her eyes. 

Soon, steady came along to join her. Knowing his place, Krypton lowered her body posture in respect to him.

He soon questioned Phocion, and the light wolf answered. He said of being experienced, making up size in being cunning.

her expression never changed. He spoke of willing to fight, to die for the pack. It was almost unbelievable.

she looked towards steady, then back to the Arctic wolf. "But how can you prove that?" She asked.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He sensed the change in Krypton. She didn't like that the small wolf appeared to try and make himself larger. His voice was respectful enough, so it confused Steady as to why the body didn't follow suit. His gaze narrowed. You disrespect her, and myself, by trying to appear larger. Your stature, no matter the size, should be lowered in respect when in the presence of a higher-ranking wolf. He may not be a member of the pack, but he was at their borders. This is the only warning you will get, he added. If the male's body language didn't change, Steady wouldn't care what his assets were- he would chase him off. 

Krypton wanted to know how the male would prove it, and Steady was quite interested in the answer, as well. The stranger spoke a strong game, but it angered Steady that he had the nerve to look him in the eyes. Instead of being sated by the stranger and what he could offer, Steady's anger flared, and he bared his fangs, stepping forward once. Maybe he could hunt, maybe he could fight, maybe he was loyal... But the wolf didn't seem to know respect to save his life. Could that be taught? The male reminded him of Mara Susi and her lack of respect for him in their first meeting. He should have known then and there that she wouldn't last. He didn't want to make that same mistake twice. His anger toward Mara Susi was needing an outlet, and this stranger just might get the brunt of it.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Getting yourself in trouble per usual, Phocion chastised himself. Under the steely gaze of these two giants, who were growing angrier by the minute, he began to shrink, keeping his eyes lowered. A red-hot flush of something akin to humilation washed through him--he hated the feeling.

"My apologies," he said gently, keeping his tone soft and level. This mouth of yours is going to kill you one day. Keep your damned jaws shut. "I meant no disrespect. This is my first foray into pack life. I have much to learn."

He looked up an inch or so, still not daring to meet their eyes full-on. "You're right. I will have to prove myself worthy. But I do not make empty promises. When I say I will be loyal, when I say I will fight, I really do mean it."

That was the drawback of growing up alone. No one had ever taught him proper wolf etiquette; it was left on him to learn it little by little, at whatever cost to himself. His growing larger stemmed from youthful insecurity, not disrespect. It did no good to tell them that now. All he could do was apologize, and be humble and truthful.

"There's not much food here now, but whatever is left I will hunt for the pack. Whatever enemies may come, I will shed blood for you all." Phocion bowed his head low. "I assure you of that."
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Steady caught onto Krypton's aura, for he layed down the law towards the newbie on the border. Phocion seemed to understand, shrinking in his size and voicing an apology. Seeing that he learnt the way of joining fairly quickly, Krypton felt her body relax a bit. He was able to learn and take hints, though Steady put it very blunt.

His gaze avoided theres, Krypton felt pleased. She wasn't a stickler for tradition, but she at least felt the need to be acknowledged as a powerful wolf from her ranking. With her attention drawing away from Steady's words, she bean to pay attention to Phocion's prmose for the mountain. He would be loyal, he would fight, he would hunt, he would shed blood for them. He then bowed his head, awaiting judgement.

They sounded like they had passion and full promise, but Krypton still felt skeptical. She looked towards Steady, giving him a thoughtful look. "You promise many things that I wish to see" she started off, turning her attention back to the pale wolf. "I expect much from you than, nothing less of what you have made a promise of" she said, then looking towards the black wolf next to her. "However, it is your decision Beta Steady" she said. More moonlight filled in, illuminating everything with its' pale beauty.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The other male smartly lowered his body and his gaze, and added an apology. His reasons for his lack of knowledge on pack life was eerily similar to Mara Susi's, and did nothing to make him feel better. However, in the back of his mind, he knew he could not in good conscious take his anger out on the male now that he was showing respect, and acknowledge what he had done wrong. 

Steady took a deep breath, concentrating on the male and listening to Krypton's reply. He knew she was an excellent asset to the pack, and did more than her share around here, but... When had she become so diplomatic? He was proud of her. 

He took a moment to consider the male, and then instructed him. You are welcome into Silvertip Mountain, under the conditions that you will learn from Krypton, and do as she says. The pups take priority when it comes to food, but you are not permitted to go near them. If you have food for them, you can take it to Krypton, and she can take it to them. He glanced to his Gamma to see if she accepted these terms, since he had basically just made the male her protege. 

Welcome to Silvertip Mountain!

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
My mouthy boy did something right for once! Hehe ;) Thanks! <3 @Krypton, after your next post wanna fade?

At Steady's words, relief flooded Phocion, and his face broke into a small grin of gratitude. "Thank you, sir," he said softly to the male, then turned to Krypton. "And to you as well, Krypton. I apologize for the earlier disrespect. It won't happen again; I can assure you."

Inside, his heart leapt. A member of a pack! This was an entirely new feeling to Phocion, and he reveled in it.

And pups! New blood was always good. He loved pups, though the male had told him he wasn't allowed to go near. Still, he would put his energy into providing for their nourishment. A group of wolves was only healthy when its youth thrived.

Still looking at Krypton--though taking care not to look the wrong way--he said, "So you are my mentor. Excellent. Cannot wait for your first lessons." The smile he directed her way was kind.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Everything was settled once the dark beta gave his word. He was going to accept the mouthy yearling, though he was going to be under strict watch with Krypton. He was to heed the commands she gave, along with understanding pack life. Krypton didn't mind the thought of being a mentor, she almost liked the idea.

She looked towards Phocion with a neutral expression, glad to at least her him apologize for his disrespect. He referred to her as his mentor, exclaiming that he was excited for his first lesson. She nodded, looking towards Steady. "I will do my best to teach him" she said, dipping her head towards Steady. "Come along Phocion, I have much to teach you" she said, already turning and going into the pack lands.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
I'll archive here!

Steady was glad to hear their new member apologize to Krypton, though his own expression remained deadpan. Krypton accepted her role graciously and led the male into the territory. Steady did not follow, though he did turn to watch them go. For Phocion's sake, he hoped the male learned quickly. If not, he would have Steady to deal with.

With a chuff of annoyance that remained with him, Steady headed perpendicular to the pair, intending to continue his patrols.