Silvertip Mountain Poke the bear
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Private 
@Phocion

Steady had been quite stoic lately, his usual friendly demeanor lost in the duty he was bound to and the loss of his brother. He had not let himself feel in quite some time, worried that allowing the pain to come through would overshadow the needs of his pack mates. He felt they were more important than any feelings he needed to deal with. What he didn't realize was the affect his brooding mood could have on others.

He was tired. While he had snoozed here and there, he hadn't slept in days, and it made him all the more crankier. He made his way inward from the borders of Silvertip Mountain, intending to find another spot to snooze in for a while. The setting sun cast shadows throughout the forest the might help him hide his large frame, though it wasn't that much of a concern for him. He waded through the bare trees, looking for a suitable spot.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
After watching the sun set for a little while, Phocion trotted deeper into the woods that lined the lower part of the mountain, stepping nimbly over fallen branches, barren of leaves. He had explored as much of this mountain as he could after being admitted into the pack, but there was territory yet to cover.

His pale fur provided poor camouflage in the dark forest, though it mattered not. He wasn't hiding from anyone, nor stalking prey, merely exploring.

His mind kept wandering back to his entrance exam into Silvertip. How poorly that had gone! He was so new to this, yet Phocion kept chiding himself for acting so foolish towards higher-ranking wolves. They could have chewed him up and spit him out without a word of warning. Yet they had decided to accept him, and for that, he was grateful.

He had yet to meet the alpha female, but he did know Steady. Now there was a wolf who hadn't had a great first impression of Phocion. He still remembered the snarl in Steady's voice at Phocion's disrespect, and shuddered in memory. Good, he remarked internally at the shiver. You're learning subordination.

As if summoned by his thoughts, the big dark form of Silvertip's beta wolf appeared before him, weaving sleepily through the trees. Phocion was loath to bother him, as he looked quite weary, but also did not want to awkwardly pass by without a word. Striding over to walk beside the wolf, he cocked his head and nodded in greeting. "Hello, Steady."
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He spotted the cream-colored male easily, but not before he himself was already spotted. He stopped in his tracks, a small sigh escaping his lungs as he hoped the other male would simply continue to move on. But, alas, Steady was not going to be that lucky this evening. 

Phocion changed his direction to head toward Steady, as Steady held his ground, not attempting to meet his subordinate half way. It was rude, he knew, but he didn't feel like making the effort. Phocion, Steady greeted roughly. If this had been two months ago, Steady would have been glad to see the male, to have a new member of the pack, and excited to show them around and make sure they were settling in well. But, it was now, and now was different. Still, he knew his rank came with certain obligations, and if this pack was to succeed, he needed to fulfill those obligations. 

After several tense moments, Steady sat back on his haunches, surrendering to the fact he needed to make conversation. How are you settling in? he asked. He hadn't seen Krypton since the male had joined, and so didn't know how well her guidance was teaching him. He did suppose, though, that if Phocion was giving her a hard time, he would have heard about. At least, he would expect to.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Another gruff greeting from Steady. Phocion supposed the beta would warm up to him someday. . .even if that day was a long ways from now.

"It's been good," he responded casually. "Krypton is a great mentor."

The thought that had been plaguing him ever since seeing the pain in Krypton's eyes upon mentioning the pack's great loss suddenly surfaced. He knew not whether it was crossing lines to ask Steady about the situation, but since he was part of this family now, he supposed he should know. . .

"Steady, what happened recently?" Phocion's tone was measured, careful not to set off the dark male. "Krypton mentioned a great loss. . ."
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Phocion commented that Krypton was a great mentor, and Steady nodded. He really had no doubts that she would be. He did have some doubts on how great a follower Phocion would be, but, as he thought before, no news was probably good (enough) news. 

His mood, that had been changing from grumpy to quietly detached, suddenly went to angry, to sad, to just unable to cope. The expressions were apparent over his features as they change from one to the other. Phocion's question had not been expected, that much was clear. Steady turned, intending to leave without another word, but he stopped himself before he could fully turn his back on their newest member. He took several deep breaths, his face angled towards the skies as the turmoil tried to settle within him.

It was several tense moments before Steady could bring himself to face Phocion again. One more deep breath. The Alpha male, founder of Silvertip Mountain, father of four precious pups... My brother, he said, his gaze looking past the male, unable to look at him directly, but refusing to look down. He was fine one day, and gone the next, he said softly. What else could he say about Fitz death since no one had any idea of how he died?

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
A sense of alarm rippled through Phocion as he saw Steady's face grow angry at his question, followed by a gut-punch as sadness replaced it.

Not just any loss, but that of the alpha male, he mused as the beta gave his answer. And Steady's brother.

"I am so sorry, Steady," he murmured, for lack of better words. A rush of compassion overcame him. He had been unfair to the beta, had not known the struggle with grief within. "Thank you for telling me," he added. "Now I can better understand what you all are going through."
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Thank you, he replied to Phocion's kind words, his own voice finding the softness that had once been lost. Phocion did need to understand all that was gone on within the pack if he was going to call Silvertip Mountain home. Fitz' loss was hard, but it was no secret, and Steady knew this would not be the last time he spoke of it. Zaria was his mate. She's taken it very hard, which is why you probably haven't met her yet, he said, assuming that the new pack member hadn't met the Alpha female. She'll come around, he added. I hope. He worried for Zaria. She had always been such a strong presence, but she had changed since the loss of her mate. 

He sighed, sitting back on his haunches. I need to apologize to you, he began. Our first meeting, I was harsh on you. Not that you didn't deserve some it, he said, eyeing the other male for a moment before continuing. But much of it was not meant for you. Your story reminds me of someone else, someone who betrayed me, and it did not bring out my best side, he admitted. He did not bother to mention Mara Susi's name, feeling it was pointless to do so. Steady would know if she ever came back, and would deal with her accordingly. However, he did not expect she would. She knew how much it took to get her back into the pack after she left the first time, and she did not even last through her probation period. Steady did not necessarily blame her for leaving, for he knew her reasons, but he did blame her for leaving without a word to him.

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Phocion was touched by the apology. He was glad to know that the dark beta had a softer side to him, overshadowed by the loss of his brother and the abandonment of someone he trusted. Too often he forgot, unused to personal relationships for the majority of his life, that one's inner trials could, and often did, affect their outward nature.

"It's all right," Phocion said with a gentle smile. "I understand. I promise that my story won't end the same way. And. . .I did deserve some of it, yes," he added, his grin growing wry.

Again, he noticed that Steady looked quite weary, and felt a pang of guilt at having kept him up. The beta must have been looking for a quiet place to snooze when Phocion came upon him.

"You should get some rest, Steady. Not ordering you or anything like that. . .wouldn't dare!" He barked a short laugh at that. "But you look tired. I'm sorry to have bothered you, but I thought it would be quite awkward if I passed by without a word."
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The male was gracious and accepted Steady's apology without a worry. He promised that his own story wouldn't end the same way as Mara Susi's, but Steady was smart (cynical?) enough to know that no one could make that promise. Maybe something would happen to him here that would chase him of, or maybe someone would lure him away to another pack. But, Steady could not continue to make the effort to worry about it. If it did happen, he would deal with it then. Be that as it may, just listen to Krypton. She wouldn't lead you astray, he advise when the other male admitted he deserved some of what he got on the borders. 

Phocion could obviously see that Steady needed rest, and it made Steady wonder if he looked as bad as he felt. I'm glad you came over, he admitted to him. But, you're right, I need some rest. Keep an eye on the border, specifically where the other pack and we share borders. They've never stepped over, but you never know, he instructed. Let me know if you have any issues, he said, before turning and continuing his search for a place to rest. He would find it, and would sleep, but it would be plagued with nightmares and worries.

249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Steady's words to watch the border intrigued him. He had remembered smelling two packs here, and wondered which he should join when he had first arrived in Teekon, but had ultimately decided on the mountain rather than the forest. Looking at Steady, a new truce formed between them, he was sure he had made the right choice.

"I'll check it out," Phocion said with a smile. "Sleep well."

With that, he walked off again, leaving the beta to seek much-needed rest. Phocion, on the other hand, felt strangely awake, and headed off towards the border at a slow run, thinking of keeping watch there for the night.