Silvertip Mountain Giving up, going in
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Joining 
The rabbit he'd eaten earlier was gurgling in his belly, twisting and moving like it was knitting itself back together. Grayday used to have nightmares about that sort of thing, when he was a little pup and only just learning what his packmates did for food. That squeamishness had passed quickly, though, and it'd been years since he'd worried about something like that.

There's a word for this feeling, dummy, he thinks to himself. Anxiety. You're anxious.

And it was no wonder why. He hadn't seen any sign of the strange she-wolf since he'd left her, and when he thought about the state she'd been in when they met - well. He was sure the girl wasn't doing too well on her own. He wasn't doing too well, and that was even accounting for the meal he'd found himself along the way.

So when he found the narrow mountain path - perilous, but stinking of wolf - he wasted no time in scrambling forward. He would've dashed straight into their midst if common sense hadn't stopped him at the first plateau. With an aprehensive look around him - he was liable to be attacked, if anyone saw him tresspassing without announcing himself - Grayday raised his head and howled.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
While Niita had come out of her shell since joining Silvertip and had become a lively exciteable girl, the outside world would never have guessed. Patrolling the border led her to be around when the howl sounded, ears twitching. She'd never intercepted a wolf here, wasn't aware if there was a certain protocol. Deciding to try her best, Niita loped in the direction of the howl.

Stopping before the stranger with her face schooled into an expressionless mask, Niita bore a stance of dominance. It was how Zeke had seemed upon approaching, Niita based herself off that. "Can I help you?"
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday, in all his travels, had never seen a white wolf. His sister had been stark, to be sure, but even Sunspot's coat hadn't been this light, this pure. He simply stared for a moment, entranced with the way the light played on her coat.

Still, when the she-wolf stood tall, he remembered to humble himself accordingly.

"I want to join a pack," he said in answer, not bothering to ask if she was one of the wolves that called this mountain home. She didn't smell like a lone wolf, as he undoubtedly did. "Any pack. If not this one, could you direct me to one that would accept an adult male?"
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Zeke heard the howl and got going right away. He was the guarding type and he was already out patrolling when he heard the howl. He ran towards he border as fast as he could, soft grey fur rippling in his wake. When he arrived, he saw Niita and a foreign male. She seemed to be handling it well, but Zeke still felt he should join them. He walked towards her and stopped at her side, head held high yet acknowledging her with respect. After a dip of his head the pure white female, he turned toward the older grey male with a blank expression on his face.

He stood beside Niita dominantly carrying himself, chest puffed to appear larger. The male spoke very nonchalantly, though he humbled himself. That was good, but he didn't sell himself very well. If you want to join a pack, you should be able to do something for us. Can you do anything? He asked blatantly, calm and collected as usual. He didn't mind handling hear border encounters but he hoped Steady would arrive soon, for it was ultimately the alpha's decision who joins.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
skipped over me but that's okay! Order is now: Grayday, Ezekiel, Niita

Zeke appeared, just as dominant as she was. Niita knew she was higher in rank but didn't care to enforce it much, so long as no one tried to force her to submit. Niita flashed him a small smile before turning back to the male. 

Before the stranger could reply, Niita noticed something odd about his eyes. They appeared a bit cloudy, some sort of film over them. Stepping closer, Niita squinted at them curiously. "Are your eyes okay? I've never seen any that look that way." Niita glanced at Zeke, wondering if he knew anything about it.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday lowered himself further as the male appeared, not bothering to squash the apprehension that the multitude of strange wolves awoke in him. To do so would be to deny his instincts, and that had been very much frowned upon in his own pack.

While the male's question made his tail twitch in confidence, the female's query brought it right back down. I hunt, I track - I can run and not tire. I've only just arrived in this land, and the famine has not gripped me the same as it has gripped those that dwell here. That did not seem very impressive now that he thought about saying it to these strangers, and he struggled to think of something else that made him worth while - well aware that his bad eyesight made him a less than desireable. He had determined earlier to hide his ailment, despite his whole-hearted belief in the truth - that didn't seem to be an option, now.

"It's a minor annoyance, miss," he assured them, hoping his voice was as confident as it sounded to his own ears. "I do... see colors a little differently than most wolves." There. It was the truth, if not all of it. "Rest assured, my funny eyes are more than compensated for by my very healthy nose. My home pack relied on me to sniff out our meals, and I pull my weight when it comes to taking down big game."

And, while it wasn't a permenant enhancement, he did decide to tack on: "I just got to these lands - I still have my weight and strength. I'm sure many packs are in need of that, in these troubled times. And if you accept me, and that stops being a boon to you when the famine is over, I will gladly leave you in peace."
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Oh didn't catch that, terribly sorry Niita!

Ezekiel was satisfied with the male when he lowered himself further. Zeke liked feeling dominant, as he always had before. Through instinct he was a generally aggressive male, and liked to have power. But of course in ranking he was now under Niita. That only bothered him a bit, but he trusted Steady with the concerns of the pack and knew he would do what was right. Now to see how Zeke would hold up under the circumstances of a leader. Steady was pleased with him last time, so he was eager to show off his skills as a guardian again.

The older male was about to answer Zeke's questions when the older ghost of a female asked her own. At first Zeke thought this question silly, but when he thought about it, it would be good for them to know the health concerns of any potential members. Cataracts or eye issues could prove to be more trouble than they were worth. He nodded to her, acknowledging her wit. The male assured them that he was fine, and that it was a minor issue. He seemed to think he was a good hunter, but the fact that he said he was good at hunting big game wasn't enough for Zeke. The young grey wolf was a bit harsh when judging, but he was quite friendly once he warms up.

And what use is your skill at hunting big game when there's no big game to hunt? He asked, it may have come out a bit abrasive but he didn't mean it to. He gave the male a scrutinizing glance before letting him speak again. He did seem bigger, and could probably be a decent fighter. And he seemed laid back, which could be both good and bad. Zeke thought they could give him a chance. He gave Niita a glance to make sure he wasn't doing anything insubordinate before talking again.

I'm sure you can be of use, and we would appreciate that, but our pack is a family. Could you pledge loyalty and promise to protect the pack, especially our pups who carry priority? He asked, this always seemed to be the deal breaker, both Krypton and Steady had seemed pretty adamant about it when he'd first joined.
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Hope you don't mind me slipping in Kryp...

She could hear other voices, one was of a wolf she didn't know fully. They sounded calm at least, but the gamma decided it was best to go and check everything out before anything turned to chaos. Walking out of her den, Krypton trotted her way over to the border. New scents lingered in the air like fog over a pond, and the bulky woman was sure to take in every single on of them.

She could see the two wolves who were already accepted, Niita and Zeke. Chuffing quite loudly, the gamma made her way over with a high posture. It was not suit for an alpha or beta position, but high enought to expose her ranking in Silvertip. She gave a smile to the both, though she wondered if they were going to let this wolf in. Although Krypton wasn't a big stickler on tradtion, she at least believed that only high ranked wolves could allow loners to join. Though, it was only her silly opinion.

"Why have you come here?" She asked softly, looking over the male with murky eyes. He didn't seem very threatening at least, though hs cloudy eyes freaked Krypton out the tiniest bit. She quietly waited for an answer, her hackles raised, but not in defense. If he was looking for a place to live and stay, the gamma would call in Steady and make sure his opinion was heard first.
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
order: Grayday, Ezekiel, Krypton, Niita

Niita hadnt thought it a rude question, she was genuinely concerned that the wolf was blind. Maybe the concern was directed towards her pack and not the stranger but was that so odd? It might not be wise to accept a wolf with vision problems. Of course Niita had no say in who was accepted and just as she thought of calling Steady, Krypton appeared.

Dipping her head in respect, Niita stepped aside a bit to let the Gamma deal with the male. Hearing Zeke's question, Niita perked up a bit. That was an important bit, the pups came first. Even though she had only known them a short time, Niita cared for Zaria and her children.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday was once again stumped by the male's questioning. "Truth be told," he began, feeling a little guilty about his 'white lie' now that he knew pups were in the picture, "I have a little trouble hunting smaller game. It... slips by me, sometimes. In the dark, mostly. But I've been doing well enough for myself - I didn't come here to be fed. I came for companionship, and to feed others, in companionship's name. I'd certainly pledge my loyalty, and provide protection to the pack - pups and all."

He turned his head as the scent of another she-wolf reached him, and took a moment to admire her regal bearing when she appeared. Despite her calm arrival, Grayday could feel something strange from her. When he took a deeper whiff of her scent - stronger now that she was so close - he felt even more puzzled. Something about her seemed similar to the little she-wolf he'd met before. The one he'd lost; the one that'd inadvertantly led him here, though she'd probably never been here at all.

"I was... looking for someone," he said after a moment, still looking at the familiar-but-not-familiar wolf. "But I'm not anymore. I'm not doing much of anything, and I think it's time to change that. I'd like to make myself useful for the years I have left."
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
So this male had been exaggerating his ability a bit. Lying wasn't exactly a good thing when trying to be admitted to a pack, then again, Ezekiel may have lied a bit as well. But it didn't affect anyone. Cataracts could cause some issues that he and likely the pack wouldn't have time to deal with. Soon the gamma arrived, held higher than him and Niita, so he stepped back allowing her to take lead. He acknowledged her smile with a nod, but didn't smile back. With border encounters like these he preferred to remain serious.

Well at least this male seemed truthful about the loyalty thing. Just by the way he spoke and looked, Zeke could tell that he probably would keep his word. The guy just wanted a place to stay. He didn't come to be fed but to feed others. That was a good way to put it. Zeke saw no reason to turn him down now, but he'd still be wary of the male. Everyone had to be checked out by Zeke before he could approve of them. If this male was allowed into the pack's land, Zeke would search him out to make sure he was worthy.

Grayday spoke of looking for someone. The Manchester wolf didn't care in the slightest. What didn't concern him didn't concern him. That was one of his mottos. He let Krypton speak, since she had higher authority than the both of him and Niita. Any further decisions would be hers, he would just be there to keep watch.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
I was going to wait a little longer to let you powwow a little more, buuuut, let's get this moving! XD
New posting order: Steady -> Krypton -> Niita -> Grayday -> Ezekiel

Steady had heard the howl that came from the borders, but had been on the other side of the mountain. It had taken a little more time than he liked to get to where the call came from, but he certainly wasn't disappointed when he got there. The majority of his pack was there, intercepting the caller. He couldn't help but swell with a little pride for them all.

His head was held high, as was his tail, as he trotted towards the group. He gave a nod to his pack mates before turning his gaze on the stranger. Steady instantly noticed his eyes, and wanted to ask right off what was wrong, but knew it would be rude to speak that first thing. So, instead, he turned his gaze to Krypton, his Gamma. What's the low down? he asked, figuring it would be easier to ask her what was going on instead of getting a little from each wolf.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Krypton looked at Grayday, looking at him intently before seeing Steady trot over. His posture reflected his position and made the gamma lower her own body position. Her large, curled ears perked forward at his voice, asking about the situation at hand. She cleared her throat a bit before answering. "New wolf looking for a place within our ranks. I was about to ring you up" she said, looking towards the alpha before departing her gaze and returning it to the other male. "I'm pretty sure everyone gave you an explanation of how our pack runs, if not, I'd be happy to explain it to you," Krypton offered, wondering how the others handled the situation.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Steady was the next to appear, Niita mirroring the other insubordinates around her. While being disrespectful was unacceptable at all times, it would be worse at the border in front of strangers. Niita smiled as he appeared, as she had the others. She kept quiet, letting the others speak as she watched the going ons around her.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He was surrounded by strangers, and as nervous as that would've made him in the past, he was truly enjoying it, now. Surrounded by strangers was a lot better than profoundly isolated. He'd take anything over that.

It took him a moment to realize he was supposed to respond to questions aimed at him. His tail wagged as he registered her words, and hope began to blossom in his heart. That doesn't sound like I'm about to be chased away, he thought to himself, mind scrambling to formulate a reponse.

"Yes, I'd like to know," he said - just a little bit dazed. "I want to know everything."
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Steady arrived, asking for a brief reiteration of the events that had occurred. Ezekiel acknowledged Steady with a dip of his head. The group wasn't in need of his assistance anymore, but Zeke would not be deserting his post. So he stood beside Niita and Krypton, waiting patiently as the alpha and gamma spoke to each other. Krypton turned back to the new guy and asked whether or not he'd like a better explanation of what the pack was about and how it worked. The males answer was not one Zeke liked.

Fur bristling a bit, The large grey wolf's mind began to buzz. What if this guy was a spy? He didn't smell like other wolves, but he could've been on his own for a while. Why did he want to know everything? That was sketchy. Zeke had earlier thought that maybe the guy was suspicious but he'd quelled that notion. Now there it was again. He never was one to trust outsiders easily, at his old pack new members were scrutinized over before they even got to set a foot over the border, no one got in unless they were 100% healthy and not suspicious. This guy would not have passed.

Nobody else probably thought him suspicious but Zeke was always on edge. Now he would definitely be keeping a close eye on the male if he was indeed allowed into the family. He didn't say anything else, for he wouldn't step out of place, but he desperately wanted to crack down on the older newbie. He'd have to wait until later.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady belatedly greeted the other members of his pack silently before turning his attention to Krypton. He didn't exactly expect such little information, but maybe they hadn't been talking to this stranger for as long as he thought they had. He turned his attention back to the gray male at their borders while Krypton asked her question and he responded. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ezekiel bristle, though he couldn't understand why. Steady would have given him a warning, but he liked that Ezekiel was ready to fight, if need be.

He looked him over openly, noting his body seemed rather full for a wolf in the middle of a famine. How was he finding prey? Steady's gaze reached the other male's eyes, and his curious attitude changed to one of apprehension. Not to be rude, but what's wrong with your eyes? Steady had seen different colors of eyes, but these didn't look like just another color. 
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
His responce seemed to make Zeke a bit bristled, though the gamma didn't understand why. Out of the corner of her eye, Krypton looked at him shortly before returning her gaze to the grey wolf in front of her. She nodded her head and decided to give him a brief description, nothing too long or too short. "As a member of Silvertip, you are apart of our family, not just a pack. We run together, hunt together, feel happiness and sadness together. As for hunting, all food is to be given to the children, for they are top priority." Krypton was flat with him, not going into anything with great details. Since the kids were still alive (though they would run off in the near future), all attention and food was for them and them only.

"Would you abide by these terms, stranger, if you were to join our ranks?" She questioned calmly, wanting to know his responce and complete answer.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
He was given the same run down she was, though Zeke seemed angry about something. He said nothing though, Niita glanced at him curiously but made no comment due to his silence.

Krypton seemed to be doing fine at questioning this male, asking him the main point. If he wasn't willing to give up food for the pups then he didn't belong here, or at least that was Niita's opinion.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday let out a tired sigh, suddenly very weary. I can't lie to them about my eyes. Not when it's something that might directly affect them. There are pups, after all.  "Cataracts, sir. They don't bother me yet - just at night, when I'm trying to see small things. But my mother said they grow and change, given time. And that I might one day be blind. But as I've already told your brethren, I will gladly depart if it comes to that. I won't be a burden to anyone."

Though his legs were aching from long days of travel, he forced himself to remain on his feet. He had gone past being afraid of these wolves, and was now merely grateful to be in their company. This did not lessen the danger he was in - he was, after all, encroaching on their territory - but Grayday had come to realize something, over the course of the conversation: If this pack did not want him, he did not mind overmuch what they did with him.

It would be a relief, to die, he reflected, his tail swishing wistfully at the thought.

But he was still a wolf, and if there was an option other than dying, he was obliged to take it. But that was only one of the reason he listened carefully to the darker female, and only one of the reasons he gave his resolute nod. "I would surely abide," he solomenly intoned. If there were pups still living in the famine, he would do everything in his power to assure their survival.
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Well the guy said he would abide by the rules. Ezekiel of course didn't want to trust him right away, but he could possibly learn to do so. He waited patiently as the two more prominent members of the pack spoke to this wolf. He didn't take his eyes off of Grayday for long, but glanced to see what Niita was doing. She was doing a pretty good job at being serious and in the mood. Good for her, perhaps there was hope for her being a guardian yet. Seeing as Steady and Kryp had it covered, Zeke continued to hang back, still as a statue.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He was quiet while Krypton explained their family dynamics, and still while the male explained that Steady's assumptions were correct: his eyes weren't just a different color. Many wolves would have counted this as a disadvantage, and turn the male away instantly. While Steady did think this wolf would have to work harder than the rest of them, he didn't immediately made a decision on whether to bar the male from entering the pack lands.

He looked to his packs mates, thinking on how much they had been through, and what it would mean to take on an handicapped wolf. But, he also thought about how they considered each other family. They only got this way by taking a chance on each and every wolf that came to their borders looking for a home. 

His decision made, he looked back to Grayday. You will be welcome here, under certain conditions, he began. You will be under a two week probationary period, in which you must prove that you can feed yourself, and that you won't take more from the pack than what any other wolf here gives. If you fail that, if you make my wolves go hungry more than they already are, he paused before continuing. I will not hesitate to take your life to feed them. Steady knew that was a harsh punishment, but he would not make his family suffer for this male. And there was no way he would just let the male get away if he did take more than he gave. 

545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Grayday spoke of having cataracts, making it a bit difficult for him to see things in the dark. The gamma nodded her head, understanding what he was going through. One of her old friends had cataracts, though not as severe as the wolf in front of her.

before being able to dwindle into flash backs, Steady gave his final words. Grayday would be on probation. He would have to prove himself to be self-sufficient, as well as providing for the others. And if he didn't, Steady clearly explained the consequences.

Although Krypton didn't think Steady would have that in him to say, she did believe that what he was saying was legible. He was right in the sense that if there was any wolf lagging, the pack would have no problems taking the wolf out.

she nodded her head then, soon opening a passage for Grayday. "Choice is yours, traveler," she said calmly.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita had known that something was off with his eyes, though she hadn't known what cataracts were. She wondered if his eyes would get worse in time, if it was smart to accept him but said nothing. It was Steady's choice. 

Steady's words seemed harsh but she knew it was for the best. If this Grayday was a liability he would put them all in danger. It was a famine and times were tough, they would eat him if they had to survive.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
A soft sigh that should've been a gasp escaped him at the dark male's words. They would eat me, he thought. They would eat me. It was a sobering conclusion to the confrontation, and Grayday knew he should be afraid - that he should feel something other than tired relief that they would give him a chance.

"I... Understood, sir," he said quietly, trying very hard to reach the aprehension he knew he should be feeling. Failing that, he turned his full attention to the black wolf - the alpha, he thought to himself - and knowing he was not quite in his right mind at the moment, he dipped his head in silent assent. "I'm Grayday," he said to the gathered wolves. "Thank you - "

But no more words would come out. While fear still evaded him, waves of gratitue and happiness washed through him, over him, around him. His throat was stopped by a howl of joy that he refused to release, no matter how hard it tried to unfurl. Instead, he crouched below the alpha male, twisting until his throat and belly laid bare to the younger male and his pack.
What's Mine is Ours