Ankyra Sound No one's pet
51 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Joining 

Devin had traveled a while, she'd passed one pack, thinking she didn't need to join one right away. She'd left Quicksilver hollow to make her own way, to follow no one's orders, and here she was waiting at a border. It put shame in the Fearghal, but with the shortage of prey and the rarity of even a bit of life, a pack seemed the only way to survive. Above all else, Devin was a survivor. So putting aside her pride, she walked forwards and sat down. She looked at the surrounding sequoias, tall and proud like sentinels. She admired them. Through this famine, they'd remained strong and healthy, unlike many. Then again they were trees, so she only admired them for a moment before remembering she couldn't give a shit.

The small white female raised her head and let out a howl, hoping this pack would accept her. She knew her kind wasn't as appreciated by pure bloods, and though it never bothered her that she was coywolf, it could be a bit of a burden. None the less, she could surely prove to them her worth, if not she'd be gone as quick as she'd came.
[Image: 2woy713.gif] I, II, III, IV, V
[Image: al40op.gif] I, II, III, IV, V
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Kjalarr had been tending to his patrols — which besides hunting meager game for what was left of the pathetic caches of the Saltwinter wolves — though they had been bare before the pestilence had stolen through the lands following in the wake of the swarm for the Seadog pack had parked upon their doorstep, closing off that avenue for prey. It had never seemed fair that Saltwinter had taken the brunt of it: they had been hit by both and yet there was a surge of pride for them...that they were enduring despite the obstacles thrown in their path, seemingly without mercy. If the Gods were testing them, then surely they had passed and their luck was due to turn around soon. The sprouts of life had taken rapidly: seen to Kjalarr as varying gray foliage, and begun to fill the once barren and skeletal limbs and ground. This, at the very least, was promising.

The silver and sand dual colored Viking had been close when the howl arose and thus did not take him long to reach her: a small and slender creature draped in a coat of ivory. Upon his approach, Kjalarr's tail rose over his back in a display of dominance and rank. The Beta drew in her scent through flared, black leathery nostrils — a loner, though there was a few unknown scents upon her pelt, fading and not nearly strong enough to be the scent of another pack. There was something familiar in the slender craft of her muzzle and body, he noted as he assessed her quietly. It reminded him of Caiaphas though the truth was that neither woman looked anything alike: except for the fact that they were both coywolves.

“This is Saltwinter, and I am Kjalarr, it's Beta,” He broke his silence and spoke to her, offering an introduction of the pack and himself. “What do you seek here?” Although, he could guess; but still he knew what it meant to assume and deigned not to jump to conclusions.

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

51 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Luckily Devin didn't have to wait long before a handsome white and golden tan male, with icy eyes like her own. She looked him over a few times, he was quite large and a bit intimidating, but seemed around her age. She bowed her head, clearly by the way he held himself, tail held high, that he was of high rank. Upper tier likely. He gave an brief introduction of the pack and himself. Kjalarr, that was a mouthful. But of course she wouldn't say it aloud. Her jokes could be taken as insults sometimes, and she definitely didn't want to insult this beta.

I'm Devin, and I'm looking for a pack to stay with for now. I can hunt for you, and I'm looking to learn some medicine, so I can offer what I already know. I'm not picky about rank, all I want is a place to stay for this shitty famine. I promise I will be loyal to this pack and only this one, and help you all in any way I can. The small white coywolf kept herself lowered to the ground tail tucked a bit. She knew if she made a wrong move, Kerchief or whatever his name was over there could easily take her down. So she simply should t be making any wrong moves.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
sorry for the extra tag! but kja isn't sure what to do and needs 'phas. :p

The stoic viking took to a statue-esque pose as she, in turn, studied him. It was only fair, Kjalarr supposed. He'd taken his assessment of her, though his assessment had been to judge her health, to note if she had any alarming limps or injuries that would wrought havoc and be a burden upon Saltwinter: providing that she proved his suspicions correct as to wanting to join. She introduced herself in turn and the viking bestowed upon her his rapt attention as she spoke, skipping all the pleasantries and going straight to the point. This, Kjalarr enjoyed. He did not yet harbor the patience for long pleasantries; but he was a blunt beast. She was looking for a place to stay, though he found her use of the word for now a curiosity. At one time, perhaps, Saltwinter had only been a temporary fixture but somewhere along the line it had grown into a fixture that felt permanent to Kjalarr. It was Summer and they still survived: they even had babes...a future for their pack.

“Once upon a time Saltwinter was only to survive the winter and yet we remain,” Admittedly, the pack and his position was not something that Kjalarr could claim he was willing to forfeit and Caiaphas had given him no impressions that she intended to disband them any time soon. “You would be loyal for only a short time, you mean. At least until the famine is over.” Loyalty was loyalty...and he wasn't so sure where he should have stood on this. She only wanted shelter from the famine but the wolves of Saltwinter were no longer the vagabonds that had formed it, or at least that was how Kjalarr had felt about it.

“I will call for @Caiaphas and hear her opinion on the matter.” Because, at the end of the day Kjalarr was just the Beta and did not feel right making this decision without hearing his Alpha's opinion as well. With that said, he sent up a howl, summoning Caiaphas to him and the loner. The idea of letting her join for only a short while did not, admittedly, sit well with Kjalarr, but that was just him.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
she had been rooting around in a large welt of sea-kelp when she heard the howl; a howl specifically for her. the coywolf lifted her slender snout from the darkwater weeds, a single tendril sliding off the bridge of her nose and collapsing at her feet. she shook herself and slid into an efficient trot, headed in the direction of the summons.

when she crested the rise where the duo stood she slowed, noting the subservient pose of the coywolf that stood before kjalarr. the beta himself did not look agitated, though the siren queen assumed there was a reason for his call. coolly she looked the female over while awaiting explanation, her expression unreadable at present.
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
51 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Oops, the 'for now' may have not been the best phrase. But no sweat, Devin played it off coolly, she was a quick thinker and not afraid to speak her mind. Well maybe. It depends. If the wilds are still rough after the famine then I might stick around. Then again I might stay forever. As long as I'm given the freedom to roam here, few things would make me leave for good. And I'd always make sure the pack was alright before I get packing. She said with a small yet genuine smile. Kjalarr howled for the alpha explaining he wished for her opinion. She would've liked to not have too many wolves crowding round, but it really wasn't her place to say.

She waited patiently, making herself comfortable where she sat, though not forgetting to be submissive. She hated not being able to relax and speak however she liked, but with packs that kind of thing was a privilege. That's why she preferred being a lone wolf. Privileges were rights when no one owned you. Soon another wolf arrived, an oddly marked coywolf by the looks of her. Devin dipped her head respectfully and gave a charming smile. Hey, my name is Devin. I'm hoping to join your pack of you'll have me. The white coywolf remained in a submissive posture but held her friendly tone.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Devin, as she had introduced herself, realized her mistake when Kjalarr brought question to it and her answer changed. A slight narrow of the Norseman's eyes were given as she offered him a “maybe” and then a “it depends”. It seemed to Kjalarr that she could not make up her mind and confirmed as much when she launched into an explanation, further stating that it depended on the state of the Wilds after the famine ran it's course but then added that she might stay forever. “We are free to roam, our members aren't chained to the Sound,” Kjalarr stated bluntly. “The scout trade is particularly useful for sating that desire and aids the pack as well.” But his decision had yet to be made and he was glad that he had called for Caiaphas. The hard ass in Kjalarr wanted to tell her no, but he respected her honesty, at the very least, but her uncertianty made him uncertain and left him unwilling to make the decision on his own. 

Kjalarr's gaze slid to Caiaphas as she approached, relaxing his dominate posture in respect of his Queen's presence before his gaze moved back to Devin when she introduced herself and stated simply that she wished to join the pack. Kjalarr waited until she was finished before his gaze flickered back to Caiaphas. “For a short time, she means. Maybe. She told me that it depends,” Kjalarr quoted Devin wanting Caiaphas to be aware of why he was struggling. It wasn't as if he couldn't handle the borders or the acceptance of new wolves, but at the end of the day Caiaphas' word was his law and in this instance he sought her judgment in the same way that she had allowed him to make the final judgment on Whittier's acceptance though the situations were vastly different. “on what state the Wilds are in after the famine. She isn't sure if she will stay with us or not.”

“If it makes any sort of difference she was honest about it.” Well, for the most part. She hadn't lied when he'd called her out on her use of “short while”, at least. "And offered loyalty if we were to accept her for however long she stayed."

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas let her gaze slide over devin in a noncommittal way, before resting on her trusted beta who had drawn alongside her. she canted a mule-length ear, her expression somewhat nebulous as he explained the reason for his summon. she was always willing to oblige those that called, though she could not help the faint trickle of annoyance stream her conscience that the presenter before her would wish to usurp their resources and leave at its own behest. but in many ways, that was what started saltwinter.

like kjalarr, caiaphas had a certain appreciation for honesty. and like kjalarr, caiaphas valued her beta's input. "if kjalarr believes you worthy, you may stay." the salt queen spoke, returning her harrowed gaze to the coywolf. "but understand that we do not take deadweight, nor do we take kindly to those who take advantage of our coven without returning the favor." caiaphas was willing to induct devin into their fold, if only because lusca was poor company -- but she was not able to risk her pack's wellbeing over a stranger without some sort of collateral.
51 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Devin eyed Kjalarr as he 'corrected' her introduction. Clearly he wasn't fond of the ideal she held. That was how Devin went though. She was honest, helpful, and a good enough wolf, but she never made promises she couldn't keep. She couldn't promise that she would stay here and pitch in forever, but she also couldn't promise that she wouldn't do so. She was trustworthy to a fault, and her loyalty would lay in whatever gave her the most of what she wanted. For as long as this pack provided, would be as long as she'd stay. Unless, she found a family among them, that would make the decision a bit harder to make along the line.

He commented on her honesty, which was another point for her. She was for the most part honest, depending on the subject at hand. She didn't say anything else, but turned head bowed towards this Caiaphas coywolf. After a moment the alpha spoke, leaving the final decision up to Kjalarr, but with a warning to her. I understand. Thank you. She said, turning back to Kjalarr to wait. If he let her pass, she'd be really happy about it, if not, she'd just have to keep looking. She's never wanted the company of a pack so much before. The things starvation will do to a wolf.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
short post is short! :0

Caiaphas left the choice up to him, as she had with Whittier, speaking that so long as the Viking though the girl worthy that she could stay. The Saltwinter Queen's trust was an honor to hold, and as Caiaphas voiced her warning to the pale coywolf before them the Beta deliberated with a shift of his weight and a stoic expression across his scarred face. Devin's honesty had garnered her a small semblance of trust, and Kjalarr believed that she would do as she had promised whether it was only for a short while or she decided to stay with them for good. Caiaphas appeared willing to accept Devin and coupled with what the pale girl had offered Kjalarr saw no reason that he shouldn't be equally as willing. “Welcome to Saltwinter, Devin.” Kjalarr decided, gesturing with his muzzle for her to cross into their borders and make her induction official.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
last post for me, fading!

it was official; the lodbrok had deemed devin worthy. caiaphas allowed her gaze to stray for a moment on saltwinter's newest inductee, though she offered no word of encouragement. it was simply not her way.

she hoped, however, that devin would be true to her word and be an asset to saltwinter's fold -- though if the last few months had taught the siren queen anything it was that things never went the way one wished. with a bland expression she stifled these thoughts and bid for the grotto, content to accompany both kjalarr and devin as the she-wolf was given the grand tour of old ankyra sound.