Whitefish River I'm comin' home
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
@Heldi

He was alive, but barely. His eyesight, while not completely returned, allowed for mostly shadowed figures and fuzzy outlines of the world around him. Still, it was something. It had been barely enough to get over the mountain, and the cuts and scrapes that ranged over his body told of the tale. The skinnier he got, the more easily his skinned seemed to split.

He had made it to the river, and he dropped down beside it, his paws dipping in the water as he lowered his head to drink. The sun was hard on his eyes and he kept them closed as much as possible during the day. Thankfully, today was mostly cloudy, so he could squint and get by. He knew he was headed in the direction home, he just wasn't sure if he'd make it. His eyes caught movement in the river as fish swam by. Part of him wanted to fish, but part of him just wanted to lay here. His energy was dwindling quickly, and it seemed a tough choice to use it to continue walking or to fish. Neither. He was too tired for either of them. He rested his head on a foreleg, and snoozed, his fear of someone coming up on him dwindled by the need for sleep.
Feel free to tag Dash as needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW. 
115 Posts
Ooc —
Ever since the pack hunt, which had ended with most of the pack wounded, missing, or unconcious; Heldi had been looking for Dash. He had disappeared after the hunt, after everyone had straggled home there was one ebony furred wolf that was missing from their ranks. Despite her injury, Heldi had left the morning after though her pace was extremely slow. 

Even now, the gash on her shoulder had just scabbed over since she seemed to be constantly moving. Heldi moved with a heavy limp, struggling to climb over the mountain as she followed Dash's scent. In some places it had been washed away and she had to stop to search for the trail all over again. It was exhausting but the bastard of Vledfest was determined to find the wolf who had become her closest friend. 

Heldi wasn't sure when she reached the river nor when she looked up and found his thin form laying on its bank. She wanted to rush forward and greet him excitedly but she was too tired, and Dash seemed to be asleep. Rather than waking him, Heldi let him sleep and moved to his side where she slumped down on her good shoulder and lay by his side. Heldi refused to sleep, forcing her eyes to stay open so that she could keep an eye out for any hostile wolves. She would protect them both if she had to.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He had no idea that anyone had been looking for them. He was aware of a few injuries of the pack, but not some others, including Heldi and Floki. Floki had gone over the side, and Dash had been out for blood after that. He remembered chasing the wolves, then a bright light, and he had been blind. The ringing in his ears was less and less every day as it, too, returned, though it was quicker than his eyesight.

He hadn't meant to fall asleep, but his body demanded it. He stirred, the wind telling him he wasn't alone. But, surely, it couldn't be her. His nose woke faster than his brain, his head lifting as he peaked his eyes open. She was a blurred shadow beside him, and if he hadn't smelled her, he never would have been able to recognize her. His tail wagged. Heldi, he said tiredly. You found me, he stated the obvious.
115 Posts
Ooc —
Heldi's mind was an exhausted blurry state, not noting much of the world around her. Everything seemed to fade into one being, no particular details stuck out and the only thing keeping her from falling into the cusp of sleep was her will to protect her friend. Heldi couldn't have said when Dash awakened, his voice bringing her back to the here and now, wearily turning to look at him.

A tired smile crooked across her features, tail thumping the ground with mirth. "Of course I did. Did you think I would let you have all the fun without me?" Heldi chuckled, leaning in affectionately to rest her head on his shoulder. 

Moving back, Heldi noticed something odd. It was as if Dash didn't see her, his eyes were unfocused though turned in her direction. "Dash..can you see?" Her ears flattened, afraid to hear the answer.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He chuckled. I was trying, he joked. But, I'm sure it will be much more fun with you, he said, a smile on his maw. It disappeared, though, when she asked about his sight. Um, sort of. You're a blur. I wouldn't have known who you were, even this close, if I hadn't been able to smell you, he confessed. It's better than it was, though. Before, I couldn't see anything at all. Everything was just black. It had been scary, and something he never wanted to relive.

How is everyone else? Floki? he asked, worried they had lost a wolf during that manic hunt. Never before had he witnessed everything go wrong that could go wrong. He hadn't seen Floki since he flew off the edge, nor had he seen the rest, aside from Ame and Charon when the trio chased after the wolf who had thrown himself off the cliff and into the goat. He had caused all this, and if Dash ever recovered his full eyesight, he would be sure to hunt him down. This was not over.
115 Posts
Ooc —
Heldi listened worriedly, a concerned expression coloring her features though he couldn't see it. "It'll come back, you'll be okay." Heldi wasn't sure who she was trying to convince, him or herself. It had to be true, without his sight how could Dash hunt or fight? He might have to find a whole new trade if his vision remained impaired. 

"Floki fell down the mountain, I'm not sure how bad he is. I left the next morning as soon as it stopped raining." Heldi explained before turning to him. "Can you walk or should we stay here for a few days?"
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She seemed hopeful his eyesight would come back, and he surely wanted it to with every part of his being. I hope you're right, he said. He didn't know what it was like to live with such a disadvantage, and with this famine, he knew he wouldn't survive with such little food around. He would have more of a chance if prey was more plentiful, then he would have more chances to catch it.

His ears focused on her voice as she explained what happened to the others. She didn't really know much more than he, which made him want to get home all the sooner. If I stay out here any longer, I won't make it home, he said honestly, his voice soft. I want to go now. If he had been able to see her wound, he might have suggested staying a little bit longer. He hoisted himself off the ground with more effort than he usually needed, his eyes searching for her form to see if she had done the same.
115 Posts
Ooc —
Heldi nodded, anxiety and concern for her friend's well being and those she had left back in Moonspear clouding her mind. Dash seemed eager to get back and Heldi couldn't blame him, the injuries had been great that night on the mountain and she couldn't help but worry what had happened to them now. 

The bastard of Vledfest struggled to her feet and nudged Dash, keeping in his sight so that he could follow her blurry form. Heldi limped heavily, slowly but she began to struggle back towards Moonspear resolutely. "Come on, Dash. Let's go home."
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
I'll start a new thread in Moonspear, if you like?

He was glad she took the lead, as it saved him from looking back for her every few yards. This way, he could keep his fuzzy gaze on her with the confidence that they were going home. At this rate, he may never leave the safe borders of Moonspear again, if he had things his way. He knew he had found a home with them when he left to visit his brother, and his unwanted travels over the past week only confirmed that.