[IC rejoining!] Kicking my heels, alone
16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
The sun broke between tiers of fluffy clouds, sending strands of lustrous yellow down from the East and onto Larch's tawny, ticked flank as her tongue rearranged a coarse patch of fur. She had stopped only briefly to fix herself into a presentable state. The night had been spent in what the keen-eyed woman suspected was once a badger sett, judging by the musky scent which lingered well into the early hours, putting her on edge and barring her from sleep.

The Stillsky female's last stay in Northstar Vale had been a short but sweet one; secretly, as she trod ever closer to the scents of pack and kin, she hoped that she mind find the kind female who had offered her a meal once before. The honey-coloured figure had thinned a little, though she maintained her attentive posture as she stood; her green-brown eyes were trained on a tree ahead of her which was in the process of erupting with birdsong, but they had dulled a little. Larch had had another rough time of it since straying from the Vale, and for a moment she screwed her eyes shut to build a wall of blackness between herself and the twittering birds.

Drawing in a ponderous breath, Larch tilted her head back, eyeing the sky sceptically before she let loose a low howl.
<a href=http://i.imgur.com/xnt7zBE.png>Reference</a>
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

The day was not marked by anything truly memorable other than how quiet and dully the clouds overhead rolled by. On the female’s mind was little more than glimpses of the days’ past events. The trill, the disappointment, the very turbulent nature of life as it slipped from present to past. Bi-colored eyes beheld the splendor of the pines in thought, her perch upon the mountain’s ledge maintained with expert skill and care as she lay. Her paws draped over the jagged edge in leisure, and upon the ankles, her head as she drifted in and out from present to past.

Yet were was a faint form upon the ground, illuminated like a beacon by a single ray of permeating light. Returning her mind to the present, her ears came forward attentively as her head too raised with interest to assess this strangeness. Another at the border? It was becoming routine. But while her companion might have looked to this as a chore, his ward looked to these comings as gifts of fortune.

Expertly, she slipped from her ledge to a downward lope from the mountain, leaving more foothold untouched in her practiced descent. Once tan paws touched the ground, she was off in an instant weaving through towering pine to their outermost reaches til the scent of the pack grew strong in marking, and at its edge stood a familiar face. “You return,” the woman addressed quietly in greeting, but made no movement to regard the female familiarly. Instead with quivering nostrils, she assessed her with the upmost scrutiny, drawing near to her flank yet remained at a respectable breadth. “We had thought you lost…”

16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
The she-wolf's sharply angled head lowered after her howl was released, her eyes immediately opening to reveal the ghost of an expectant expression. For the most part, Larch remained in a neutral stance, expressionless, with the exception of the occasional wince when a pounding tightened her chest. Larch had never been over-the-top with her emotions, but the sight of the Vale laid out before her had made a fog of longing settle in her heart.

The tan figure emerged from the steep, stony climbs of the Sunspire to regard Larch with an assessor's eye. She spoke quietly as ever, but the quiet voice was enough to flatten the blazed female's ears in shame. How could she have gotten so lost as to abandon those she had sworn to fight for?

“I was,” her voice sounded, more hoarse than the lilting, bubbling tones which would have emerged previously. Larch was worse for wear – it showed, and she disliked it. With a small cough she went on: “I don't expect forgiveness.” Her immaculately carved head bowed, hazel eyes averting from the soft-spoken woman. “I just... hope for it. Hope to make it up to you.” A shadow of a self-deprecating smile partially formed across one side of Larch's muzzle as the kinked tip of her tail twitched. Given time to recuperate from her foolish wanderings, the honey-and-cream female would prove herself trustworthy.
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

The female was indeed in a shameful state. The tone form once adorned in soft honey curls were matted and well worn, as were the digits of her paws. She had certainly been wandering which offered an odd ease to the warrior’s mind. Her assumptions that perhaps Larch had wandered into another’s pack was gradually proven wrong by both the scent and the sight of her. Fatigue rested upon her muzzle unabashedly and clear, while the sunken state of her belly held the guardian’s precedence. A weathered lip turned slightly as bother marred the once calmed expression. Guilt, the faintest glimmer of which crept into the bi-colored eyes. Perhaps had she given more attention to the female, she might not have found the need to venture.

Was it not her role as ward to the lead to see to the wellbeing of their kin?

Grumbling softly, Xi’nuata marched toward her subordinate, her lips twitching expectantly. Then quickly they reared revealing sharp incisors primed for the bite. Swift, soundless, lacking the malicious drive that implored others to seek blood, she snapped lightly at the scruff of the pale gold neck. Then as quickly (and softly) as her wrath was administered, she turned her back on the female then seated herself. “I do fault myself for your absence…” she growled softly. “Yet it is your responsibility to seek out an ear if there is trouble on your mind. We are not stone, nor am I to ignore what bothers you. Is that understood?”

16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
Xi'nuata had clearly fared better than Larch in sticking with the pack; the dulled honey female was glad for that – their comradeship had been nothing longer than a few glimpses and a short conversation, but Larch admired the tan woman's quiet, kindly yet confident ways. She had no doubt than the Warden had risen through the ranks to be in a position where she was fully justified in the air-snap which she aimed towards the golden-brown returnee.

Larch flinched at the flash of teeth, letting out an whine of appeasement. The quietly growled words sunk in even through ears pressed down to her skull, and she gave a jerk of her head. “The fault is my own,” the hazel-eyed female disagreed in a familiar ringing voice before letting her muzzle sink to the level of her chest again. In abashed tones she confirmed: “I understand.”

It hadn't been until Xi'nuata's appearance that Larch realised she had been missing the comforting sight and scent of someone she knew, and her shame was further ingrained. It would take some work to regain her pride after being thrown up by the mountains, bruised and faded, in a state which would make her shy away from anyone else. She was unable to shy away from herself, though, and perhaps the sensation of vulnerability was what she needed to stay afloat in the sea of wanderlust which had carried her away.
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

A few moments more passed by between the two of them, with the warrior keeping her back to her subordinate. In truth, Xi’nuata was not fond of discipline. It always seemed that Raheerah would be the one to take over in that department. But she was learning with each instance of packlife, that it was an inevitable responsibility for those with rank. A time would come when an example needed to be made, though she hoped it was not by wholly violent means. Sighing softly to herself, the female pat the earth with a single beat of her lush tail then carefully pushed herself to stand.

“We will see, then,” stretching her digits to feel the coolness of the earth beneath them, she walked with purpose to the weathered side once more. Hardened jewels umber and gold eventually softened as they rested on the pale golden crown. “But you cannot meet your brethren again in this state,” faintly smiling, she lowered her muzzle to nudge the base of an ear in kindly gesture. “The springs will do your body well. Come.”

Nudging Larch forward with the careful guidance of her shoulder, she led her from the borders to grounds more familiar. By sound of the babbling stream they were guided into the very heart of the pines wherein lay the quiet spring and the plentiful healing herbs that cloaked its rim. Even standing amidst their aromatic graces, the woman felt a calm she desperately needed. “Much has changed since your absence,” drawing down her to her haunches she gestured with the point of her muzzle for her companion to make use of the springs. “All eyes are on our borders now. Patrols have heightened… and there is little rest for the faction.”

16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
Only when the strong back faced her did Larch allow her gaze to linger wonderingly, though she had the sense that her superior would feel it if her hazel eyes bored into her for too long – not that they were capable of doing much boring at the moment. Larch's eyelids felt heavy with fatigue; she had been on high alert for the past several days, trying to seek a way back without landing herself in hot water. They were also weighted by the relief which devoured her when Xi'nuata's tail switched against the cool, shaded ground.

A softness entered the Gamma's heterochromatic eyes and for a moment Larch's ears stood up on her crown, her own eyes studiously hopeful. Responsibility might have hardened the tan woman somewhat, but Larch believed in the moments when her eyes softened that that was the core of Xi'nuata. Better she than Larch to dole out reprimands.

Her words seemed ambiguous at first but it was clear that her duty of care overrode any annoyance Xi'nuata might have felt at Larch's absence. It was Larch's turn to be dutiful, and she struck up a pace beside the tawny figure, trying in earnest to pick up her paws. As she listened, the beginnings of a frown marked her brow: it sounded as if Larch would be needed when she was back to her usual fighting fit state. Hopefully that wouldn't take long.

“Trouble?” the honeyed she-wolf posed, dulled hazel eyes flickering sideways to the fellow Valer. Larch was no stranger to trouble, as witnessed by her slightly worn fur and less than lustrous gaze, but the thought of it reaching the Vale was an unwelcome one all the same. Her head swung away for a moment to regard the climbing peaks of protection and danger rolled into one, but she knew Xi'nuata was more likely to pick up on any disturbances. The other's presence calmed Larch enough for her to keep moving forward – and now she had a glimpse of where she might be led. "I won't need to rest long," she vowed.
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

Taking her first real rest in some time, Xi’nuata lowered herself to her belly by the spring. With paws outstretched, she curled the callused digits into the healing springs to soothe them, then let her head rest atop her ankles finding comfort in the serenity of the woodland. For the briefest moment, the tribulations of the world seemed far from the borders, yet there was and would remain a presence in the back of her mind, always threatening to creep to the forefront when all seemed too still.

“There was trouble,” she began softly. “And we took care of it with minimal effort. However if it happened once, there is a possibility it would happen again.” Her brows raised as she turned her gaze to Larch. “In your absence we had an intruder from the Creek rummage through our cache. Raheerah and I caught up with her, but another of the Creek breeched our borders to protect her.” Her tail swat the ground disturbing an innocent cluster of fragrant herbs, then settled once more against her thigh.

“We let them go,” she continued. “…however Raheerah has made efforts to keep the borders under a more careful watch. None may enter or leave without his acknowledgment. But that is not so say we are confined within the Vale. In his own way, I believe he worries…”

16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
The spring was a tantalizing offering for the muddied and worn female; it was some time since she'd soothed or rested her paws, even more time since she'd had a thorough wash, and she had little excuse other than inner confusion. With every step she had missed the Vale yet something had lured her out into the wilds and it had forced her through a wild goose chase until Larch had realised that it was Northstar Vale she had been missing all along - and being a true part of it was what she wanted. The warmth of the springs affirmed that desire in her mind as she dipped her paws in slowly, letting relaxation work from claw to ear tips.

For a moment Larch was lulled into serenity, quietly enveloped in a feeling of safety and shelter, flanked on one side by Xi'nuata's more presentable form with the constant trickle of water permeating her ears. It felt as if the cleansing was working its way into her mind, seeping and swirling gently to remove her mental wounds.

When the Gamma spoke, though, there proved to be nothing blocking Larch's ears or muffling the words. There had been trouble stemming from the Creek pack. Black-ticked ears folded back sharply as the woman's brows pulled down. It seemed that others, who didn't belong, who had no desire to protect the Vale, had thought it fit to raid their stores. Had it not been for her raw throat, Larch might have let a growl slip under her breath.

As it was, what entered the air was a sharply expelled sigh. The water was creeping up to Larch's legs now, and the sound was partly due to that relief from the frigid air. The woman's gold-spun tail dragged in the water, creating rivulets around and behind it. The bent and broken tip twitched in irritation, but it was all directed to herself. "I doubt I could have stopped it," she said at first, narrowed eyes on the bubbling spring. How cheerful it was. "But even so.." Larch shook her head, her eyes searching for her superior and softening slightly. "I don't care if I can't leave. It might be good for me."
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

Thought of the intrusion had yet to fail to rouse the woman’s hackles to stand on end. It was a time in which she had witnessed the callous nature of those she called neighbors, and found their like insufferable if only by that singular instance. Yet the lack of punishment (as far as she was aware), or any attempt to reconcile disturbed her greatly. Was it not the role of the pack to assume responsibility for its members? Rightfully so, she toyed with the idea that they simply did not care, thus further encouraging her unease. If one- no two, could antagonize without punishment… who was to say that others would not as well?

Grumbling to herself, the warrior let her muzzle shift in direction of the mountain’s base as if there in the thick woodland she might spy a flicker of red flame within the darkness. Were these the thoughts that brought about his decision? Was it this unknowing that compelled him to take such brash, absolute steps to protect them?

Sharply an ear flicked back in thought, drawing her attention back around to Larch as she spoke. The woman’s brows perked slightly. “That is a doubt we will remove from you,” her words were soft yet absolute, offering no opening for contest or further doubt in mind. “It is the role of each to have the confidence and strength to defend their home if need be. But it is the privilege of the warrior to exhibit their skill to ensure the others need not fight.” Her gaze shifted slightly to rest on the bridge of pale gold when seen. “Should this happen again, you will be able to defend your home.”

16 Posts
Ooc — Rat
The Warrior's words were full of surety, soft yet firm, and Larch yielded to them after a moment, giving a downward sweep of her head before bringing it back up. Hazel eyes didn't have their previous jollity or brightness, but there was a gleam of fierceness in them which spoke of Larch's renewed determination to protect their home. She could feel her strength pushing at the barriers of her present tiredness and weakness, ready and waiting to return to her. Yet her body sagged a little as she enjoyed the water.

Larch was drawn to Xi'nuata, no doubt about it, and her eyes sought out the robust figure with every sweep they took over the dancing ripples of water. Her gaze never stayed put, though – it was as fickle in its wanderings as Larch had been in leaving the Vale. Her tail snaked slowly through the water, her eyes half-lidded in relaxation, though her ears still twitched to the melodies of the spring and the meadow which encased it.

It was strange to be in the open after running and hiding for so many days, but Larch had had her fill of hiding. The embers of her vibrant personality needed room to breathe and grow back into a fire, and it was pleasant to tilt her head back and see open skies, their vastness clear, untainted by branches or rocks.

Larch's head was far from in the clouds, though. She was still turning over the thoughts of the raids in her mind, wondering how she would have prevented them. She was unable to come to any conclusion other than let them dare to try again. "I will defend my home," she repeated in a solid voice, straightening her posture and nodding again.
421 Posts
Ooc — Zyn

OOC: WELCOME BACK!

She needn’t see the look in the female’s eyes to heed her determination. As long as the voice was sound and true, she would give her trust to it for the moment. But her eyes in due time would need to be appeased, to see that indeed there was promise to harness and shape. And what was more, that the will was present in the newly reclaimed Vale wolf.

Calmly her eye passed over the pale crown of the female as the warrior pressed against the earth to rise. Her banner twisted lightly in a dance of contentment then folded comfortably down by her heels as she turned from the spring. “You will,” she affirmed, wearing upon her lips a soft smile of anticipation. “But for now, your task is to rest and renew. Seek out your lead when ready, and let him know of your return and ambitions.”

She held great promise for the warrior to-be but did not trust to hope blindly. She had done so before, and was gifted only disappointment. But this time, it was not with matters with the Creek, but one of her own faction and the hopes they aspired to. She would see to it on her own, if she must. There was potential yet untapped and it could not be afforded to be wasted. Tipping her head in her departure, she walked off towards the den to relay her news.

[EXIT!]