Silvertip Mountain Viva la vida (PACK HUNT)
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette silenced herself when Steady instantly picked a deer on the word of another wolf. Frankly he had done the same with her, listening to her. But she didn't agree. They should pick one while running, going after the whole herd. If the one they picked she would be at peace with it, but now they went blindly after one target instead of the whole herd.

Yet she stayed quiet this time. It was better than their last idea. So she hoped that this grey male's eyes were well enough to see that a deer was weak or not. She doubted he had studied for it. She just started running when Steady did. Her frame moving forward with a burst of speed. She always came alive during the hunt. She took another side, though she didn't go for the heels because that was very dangerous. She stayed closer near the belly. She nipped into it and tried to rip pieces off the caribou. She was so freaking hungry.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita leapt forward, breaking into a run as the order rang out, and momentarily being confused in the stampeding of the rest of the herd. Thankfully she managed to stay with the others, keeping her eye on the prize or in this case the weakened caribou. 

She wasn't sure where the others had managed to get in at, didn't dare to look back and see. Niita found herself near the shoulder, not close enough to make a kill but close enough to bite at the spot between the caribou's foreleg and side. In an effort to trip it up, Niita began to snap at the area while also trying to keep from tripping herself up.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
She stayed quiet throughout the entire conversation, the only thing she paid attention to was her stomach. It was the only thing guiding her for the moment, her mind almost shut off completely. Her eyes became glazed over, her expression dull, her attention solely on the animal.

Her ears perked up at the command of the alpha, making the entire pack spring forward into action. Her lengthy legs engulfed the ground beneath her, her lungs spouted fire and smoke as if they were dragons. With a push, she ran towards the caribou everyone was gunning for. Valette seemed happy with her area of the belly, others following at the heels. Krypton joined on the other side of the belly, trying her best to lock onto something and shred it apart.

Brutality didn't matter at this point, surviving did.
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
It'd been a long time since he'd lead the hunts in his father's pack - a year, some change, and a good set of eyes ago, at least. He stayed back to get in the swing of things, at first, but then because he found he couldn't tell one creature from another - the herd was one big blur of motion, making him dizzier than they had right to. He tried his best to track the progress of the sickly creature he'd spotted earlier, but soon settled for just keeping track of his own pack, and watching to see if any blob of meat broke off from the rest of the blur.

Grayday was sure that he'd be able to help once they'd chosen a target and separated it from the herd - and soon enough, he could see the distinctively wolf-shaped blobs of his pack finessing part of the blur away. He quickly jumped in to do his part, driving the creature to separate from its ilk. Then, not wanting to get in Valette's way, he fell back once more, taking deep, heavy breaths to prepare himself for the attack.

Forcing his eyes to focus as much as they would in such motion, he stared at the rippling flank of the elk until he was sure he'd found his target. If one could get their jaws firmly around the hamstring, it could mean the end of the hunt. And if he missed - well, he'd still slow the creature down.

Still running, Gray timed his breaths, his bounds, the beat of his heart, and he coiled his muscles and sprang. And he did miss, but only just, and the tang of blood was still on his tongue. Momentum carried his body sideways, throwing the elk off blanance but not bringing it down, and Grayday simply held on, his body bumping painfully but mostly harmlessly against their meal's legs.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
Dazzle me, dazzle me, dazzle me with gold
181 Posts
Ooc — Stella
She had never hunted with a pack, ever. Anita found herself assuming her spot within the mob near the back. She only inferred that rank had to do with place in the hunting party, but she wasn't quite sure. The female chose a spot a little more to the side, hoping to at least get a chance to nip at the prey's heels. She gulped. Though they were going after a weaker quarry, injury was still possible. Any frightened animal would defend itself, and a kick from a hooved animal would leave its mark.

Then they started to run. A rush of adrenaline boosted Anita to join the rest. It didn't feel like individuals working, no. It felt like one fluid body, each component working as one. It was almost surreal; not at all what Anita had expected. After each wolf took their turn going at the prey, Anita looked for an opening. The slightest pause after Grayday's feat accompanied with the off-balance teeter of the elk provided the perfect chance.

Anita decided to finish what Grayday had started. Bringing the beast off-balance would provide a small bit of time to finish it, unless it got back up. Her breath was uneven, she wasn't tired but was starting to feel her feet ache from all of the running. Anita bumped against the elk's legs, her body shaking. However, she was too small to bring it to the ground, and her tremulous attempt was not powerful enough to do much. It was a foolish move--nipping at its heals would have provided a much better outcome.

The elk kicked out, just barely missing Anita's face. She moved back in time to avoid serious injury, but the hoof grazed her shoulder. Blood trickled fround the wound. It wasn't too bad an injury, and for that she was thankful. A scrape would not stop her from hunting. Going off of that mindset, Anita grimaced, pushing herself forward so she didn't fall behind.
[Image: TBIERmG.gif](5/5) I, II, III, IV, V Incomplete
[Image: TAZ76Qd.gif](3/5) I, IIIII, IV, V Incomplete
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
With no opposition on the idea, Steady was off and running, glad to see the others working their hardest to tire the beast out. Several tore chunks from the caribou's side as they ran. He could hear her ragged breaths as she conjured every bit of energy she had to keep going. It would be futile for her; her life had already ended, she simply needed to give in to it.

He watched as Grayday flung himself at the beast, and seemed to hang out as she tried to buck him off. She couldn't both run and carry the wolf's weight. She came to a stop, bellowing out her frustration and pain. Steady slowed, circling her as he contemplated his next move. She bucked again, trying to kick off Grayday, and he took the opportunity to lunge at her shoulder, throwing his weight into it and effectively knocking her off balance. She struggled to stay on her feet, and Steady's open jaws searched for her throat. They found it, and locked on, even as she kicked at him, landing a blow to his hips. It only encouraged him to latch on more firmly as he hoped his pack mates were trying to bring her down with him. 
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita could smell blood both from the caribou and from one of her packmates, it concerned her but not enough to make her turn around. It was imperative that they get the caribou down and whoever was hurt could hold on a little longer. 

The ungulate came to a slowed stop, bellowing out in pain and frustration at the heavy wolves tearing into her. Niita felt for the creature, silently thanking her ancestors for this sacrifice that would allow them all to live.

Steady was in front of the caribou, latching onto its throat. Niita sunk her teeth into the caribou's side and holding tightly in an effort to damage the muscles in the caribou's shoulder and bring it to its feet.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was still at the Caribou's side, though she moved more forward to it's shoulder. Steady jumped towards the throat. However, Valette saw how the deer kicked her alpha with her front legs. Not going to happen! The girl's eye fell on the moving upper leg of the deer. She instantly bit down on it and pressed her paws into the ground. The deer instantly stumbled heavily, and probably with the help of Niita tugging on the caribou's side it stumbled and crashed into the ground.

Valette let out a victory howl, yet instantly moved out of the way for the kicking legs, moving to its head, biting down in it's nose, a sensitive spot, but if the deer couldn't breathe because of a windpipe being blocked and its nostrils being bitten then it would surrender probably even more quickly. She hoped the others would keep it down and bite it, so the deer would bleed to death.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day shifted his grip as the beast fell, triumph already singing in his veins. This time, with the hamstring firmly in his grasp, he succeeded in disabling a leg. No longer necessary for bringing the beast down, but useful all the same. This way, his packmates could attack with one less leg to worry about.

He became aware of a sharp pain in his ribcage. Oh no. Not again, he thought to himself, remembering the last time he'd felt that kind of pain in his bones. But some creative shifting told him that the bone was still all together, and he let out a painful sigh of relief. Just a bruise, then - but that's going to hurt in the morning!

His eyes scanned the rest of the pack - that he could see - for any possible injuries, but the scent of blood was thick in his nostrils, and there was very little to be seen over the flank of the writhing beast. Deciding that he'd have to worry about the others later, Day turned his attention toward avoiding the beast's other, still-very-active back leg.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel ran after his pack as they singled out the doe. Her limp was very convenient, but the pack could still fail. Zeke hoped for the best though, for this was the first hunt he'd been too with the whole group and he wanted to start with a success. Muscles rippling as he raced forwards, Ezekiel launched himself at the deer, grabbing onto its legs and ripping at it, hoping to slow it down. The pack continued to bite and attack the caribou, it's wails drowned out by the heavy breathing and snarls of the pack. Suddenly he watched at Valette grabbed the caribou and yanked it down to the ground.

He noticed Grayday getting kicked by a back leg, which was flailing around crazily. Day seemed dazed, and Ezekiel leaped at the leg, grabbing it in his jaws and biting in deep. That was the end of that leg. He eyed the blind wolf carefully, and could tell that he was hurt. But for now they had to finish off the caribou, and Krypton would surely deal with injuries later. So the large grey beast returned to the onslaught of attacks, soon the caribou would have to be dead.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Distracted, Nanook missed Steady's cue. Her gaze remained on Desna until all she stared at was the vacant place she left behind. The rest of her packmates blurred the forest, and the Apaata staggered at the movement. A moment passed before she gave her head a flustered shake and sprung to follow.

She lost sight of Desna - Valette - in the fray; she lost sight of them all. Between the caribou Nanook could pick out the blur of the Silvertips, but adrenaline from the chase had her nerves strung high. She struggled to concentrate, and her strides favoured a place at the rear. Never had she hunted with so many before, and never a beast so dreadful as these.

When they finally managed to corner one, the beast fought back with every strength left in her fearsome bones. Nanook paced around the assailing pack in a nervous circle. Her muscles quivered taught, ready to spring but anxious to attack. Her breath caught with each bucking kick, froze with every prospective blow. But one by one her packmates latched themselves to the caribou, and one by one her company dwindled as she watched the doe begin to falter beneath the pack's assault.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
181 Posts
Ooc — Stella
Movements whizzed past Anita and slowed to a stop as soon as Steady's jaws clasped around doe's throat. She stared, astounded. It was not only a feeling of astonishment toward's the pack's successful kill, but to the ungulate's downfall as well. Though she was crippled, it took many wolves to hold her down. The thought of bringing down a healthy deer now seemed a whole lot harder. 

Anita strode towards the flailing quarry, careful of her sharp hooves and powerful legs. She could tell that there was no chance of survival--even if it managed to get up and run somehow, it wouldn't go far. The glow of life faded from the doe's eyes, her movement faltering to a complete stop. It had to be dead, the shallow rise and fall of the beast's chest had stilled.

Once she was sure the doe had passed away, Anita turned around. Her excitement was contrary to the scene that had just happened. "We did it!" A howl of satisfaction rang from her lips. Her first pack hunt was a success, and they would all be eating well tonight.
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Everyone worked together as one body, grabbing and snatching and biting. The doe was taken down, grabbed by the throat and cut off from air. Minutes ticked by until it gave up, giving itself up for the wolves. The hunt went accordingly, the meal at their paws, freshly killed and ready to eat. Howls rang out, cheerful and joyous. Krypton let out her own melody, her lips curved up in a smile.

"You all did wonderful. Dig in." She said, motioning to the meal. As much as sh was hungry, she wanted everyone else to get their share before she got hers.
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette howled in victory when the cow caribou fallen to the ground and when she was killed. The girl moved back because she knew it wasn't her turn yet. However, then Krypton said they could dig in, Valette looked at Steady in surprise. Was this how their meals went? Shouldn't there be like an order?

The girl looked hesitant but then decided, being a creature of habit, to be polite and wait for her turn. She didn't want to step on anyone's toes again after she commanded the hunt. However, the hunt had worked out for them all with this new technique, hopefully she could work with the others to improve it.

Her hazel eyes watched the dead animal, her panting filling the air, along with the rumbling of her stomach.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The pack worked together in unison to bring her down. He was glad so many others worked with him, otherwise he would have been forced to release his grip on her neck in fer of being kicked again. She went down, and his jaws tightened on her throat, and continued to cut off her air supply. He held on until after he was sure she would not come back to life if he let go. He sent up his own howl of achievement with the others, and nodded in agreement when his Beta told everyone to dig in. Yes, eat! he said with a bloody smile. 

He waited to try and catch his breath before he ate, trying to see if anyone was seriously injured. His eyes landed on Polaris, and he noticed that she didn't have a spot of blood on her like the others had from nipping at the flesh of the caribou. Had she helped at all during this hunt? He tried not to make a snap judgement on it, and instead turned his attention to their meal, taking a spot and digging in with his family. 

Last from me unless he's needed! Great hunt everyone!!
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel continued to bite at the caribou even after it was dead. It wasn't until Steady's victorious call that he stopped. For a flash of a moment, all the blood around him brought him back to his old pack. For a moment, he froze, seeing the dead body of the girl. He had killed her, he had done something horrible he could never tell anyone in this pack. Then it stopped, he shook his head, looking around cautiously at the others. Had they noticed his frightened look, and how he zoned out. Probably not, he hoped not at least. Pushing down the thought, he waited for Steady to cue them before stepping towards the dos and biting into it.

After he was finished eating, Ezekiel stepped back licking his bloody jowls. He turned to Steady and Krypton and dipped his head respectfully. He then looked to Valette, and there his eyes lingered for a moment. He admired her skill, and bravery. He liked Valette. After a moment he turned to leave, striding away with a full stomach and good mood. Their first hunt had been successful, just as he'd hoped for.

Last from me too <3
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
The caribou fought even as the pack worked to take it down, or most of the pack as Niita spotted the grey female from earlier just circling as they hunted. It caused anger to surge in her briefly given that she could smell some of the others wearing injuries. Niita pushed aside the anger, taking it out on the caribou with a vicious bite to the shoulder. 

The caribou fell, still struggling even as she bled out from her many wounds and the life faded from her brown eyes. Niita felt triumph surge in her, tail wagging as she howled with her packmates in victory. As Delta she knew she didn't have to wait long to eat and moved back to stick it out but Krypton and Steady surprised her as they urged the whole pack to eat.

Niita glanced around, certain she wasn't the only one who had been surprised but it was a pleasant type of surprise. The pale waif crowded in with the others, pulling off a hunk of meat for herself and gobbling it down. It was the first real meal they had eaten since before the famine, the first pack meal Niita had eaten since being back in Asmundr.

As the others began to leave, Niita went to work stripping the carcass of remaining meat to put into the pack's cache. 
last from me
[/ooc]
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
The energy of the fray cracked through Nanook, and the promise of a kill bid her to join. Her mouth watered and, after hovering with watchful eye, Nanook made a decisive step to help in the final blow. Yet the built adrenaline swelled like a nauseous wave, and the girl skirted back to dance a full circle again. Her gaze swam between the wolves and tried to make sense of their attacks, but all she felt with each bared fang were her own raking through her sister's face, her mother's teeth against her snout, the biting words passed above her head, and the wounds that sunk with mama to the grave.

Numbness seeped through the girl at Steady's victory cry, and her ears slicked against her skull. The cow lay prone on the bloodied ground, a ready meal - but Nanook made no advance to partake of the kill. The one called Valette stayed back too - Desna would have pushed to the front - and the girl lowered her head in confusion, frustration, and a heavy awareness of the scrutiny of the few who glanced her way. Her teeth remained untouched by the flesh of the beast, and she decided then they would remain as such.

When she finally moved forward, she approached with the sole intent of helping in what way she could. She watched the white woman strip the meat until she understood enough to copy. But though her stomach gurgled, she ate nothing. Though she had chased and she had watched, she contributed nothing, so she would depart with the fair reward of nothing in return for her efforts. The temptation remained, but she steadied herself and continued biting and tearing, biting and tearing, biting and tearing. She would only eat what she had helped to catch, and the pain in her stomach would remind her she had failed to do that today.

Last from me as well!
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette heard Steady's cry and then did step forward. She brushed past others and dug into the meal. The girl was so hungry that she was ready to fill her stomach to th epos to extending. She dove for the good organs she had as a puppy, now the alpha's were not here to claim it then she was going to take those over the tough muscle mass of the dear.

Her head popped under the ribcage as she was eating. The girl didn't look too much for the other female she had met before being at Silvertip. If the girl would only realize that she was her sister. Valette licked her muzzle and once done she could only waddle away. She decided to let others clean up the left over meat. Now she just wanted to sleep.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The pack ate, gorging themselves on the food. They had been hungry so long that Steady figured it better that they fill up now, rather than try to eat a little here and there, as they had already been doing. Their bodies needed the nourishment desperately, and now they were getting it. Steady filled his own belly, as well, his demeanor happy as he tore chunks off and swallowed them. He didn’t both to care if someone was close to him, or who ate what as long as they ate.

When he was finished filling his own belly, he ripped of a few large chunks of meat, and took them back to Adeline so that she could eat, too.

181 Posts
Ooc — Stella
Anita didn't wait until everyone else was finished -- it seemed unecessary now. Jaws snapped and teeth tore at the fallen doe, ripping out large chunks of what was left in order to fill her stomach. It was bliss, and Anita relished in the abundance of food that she was sure the others were appreciating as well. Once she had eaten enough, she stepped back, pink tongue licking the blood from her lips.

Seeing that some were already taking their leave, she decided to go ahead and return to her day. She was quite lethargic after gorging on the meat -- a nap would be the perfect thing after a rigorous hunt.