Lake Rodney Kiss the skies, we're almost home
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
All Welcome 
@Charon or @Amekaze perhaps, but otherwise AW :)

Autumn air kissed the grey waters of the lake and with it came the winds of the north, its icy fingers gently caressing of dull surface of the loch. It brought certain promise of cool days to come, snow and a chance to thrive. No longer would the days be ravaged by heat and instead become bearable to work within, chasing herds that would surely be plentiful during the winter months.

A figure emerged from between the brassy entangles of brush, dark tawny pelt ravaged from the long journey yet, a cloak of invisibility against the morning mist. His paws were certainly shrouded but his eyes were alive with hopeful intent, bright and searching as the sandy shore came into view. With a quiet huff, he watched as his breath steamed white, rolling into a lumbering gait as he neared the lapping waves. He had been scouring the horizon for quite some time, listening to the distant sounds of wolf song that often filled his ears with sweet tunes; he knew that packs roamed these lands. And, as the chilly weather began to set in, the Treborn was eager to find a more permanent home.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
The cool air enticed Floki away from Moonspear, though he had no intentions to travel far. He ventured south, enjoying the crisp breeze and the whisper of winter on the horizon; soon, his mountainous home would return to its natural state. This time last year, he and Charon and Amekaze had claimed Moonspear -- just in time for ice and snow to cover its slopes. The peak seemed fearsome and dangerous during the colder months, and while the rest of the wilds went dormant it appeared to come alive.

He had no destination in mind but drew up short when he realized he was nearing Redhawk Caldera. His lip curled but before he turned away, he became aware of the presence of another wolf near the edge of the lake. He paused, surveying the stranger quietly for a moment as he decided whether to approach or to turn and slip away unnoticed.
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
It was in the absence of his mind that then he stooped to drink, feeling, sighing in pleasure as the icy water wrapped like cold fingers down his gullet. It would not conceal or even distract him from what he yearned, merely give him the strength he'd need to endure what might be to come. A meal was next on the list and what a capable hunter he was; a grown stag had once fallen at the mercy of his great jaws. It was strange how his mind seemed to block out the aftermath of the hunt, yet what embarrassment came after was carefully guarded, something he could spill to no soul.

His skullage raised purposefully from the surface, tongue wetting his nose perhaps to heighten what careful trails could be picked out. Often he would hunt alone, preferring the serenity and coolness that allowed him to focus and so he set off, peeling away from his post by the lake to prowl the treeline. Yet it was not the scent of prey that he caught, rather the odour of another wolf. "Good day to you, sir," he'd greet, his voice a low rumble as the pale shape of the stranger was visible. "Your business here, a traveller like me?"
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
The other wolf made the decision before Floki did; when he lifted his head from drinking and caught sight of the Ostrega, he called out a cordial greeting. Floki was intrigued by the stranger's mention of travelling, so it was with only a slight hesitation that he began to move closer, his slow stride bringing him towards the lake and the loner.

"Sort of," he replied once he was within earshot and able to speak without shouting. He took a moment to examine his counterpart; the wolf was large and fit, unremarkable in color save for a splash of reddish fur across the bridge of his nose. Coming to a halt a conversational length away, Floki added, "I'm a scout for a nearby pack, so travelling is my trade." His expression, with upward tilted eyebrows, wordlessly asked, "What about you?"
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
It seemed as though his jovial greeting and spoken query had attracted the fellow to come be his audience and so the swarthy warrior would pad at a similar pace to his company until the space between the two was of a comfortable agreement and the pale one opened his maw to speak. It seemed as though this wolf had not come out of want to end solitude, rather he was the eyes, the mapper for a nearby pack. His words intrigued the Treborm greatly, whom replied with "You speak of a pack?" and a simple yet rather curious nod.

"I am in fact a wonderer," he'd continue, molten orbs alight as his gaze studied the build of his counterpart, standing tall and steadfast as if to prove his worth. "By trade, no, but, nevertheless, I carry the mere spirit of scouting and the hunt." Aurelius was not one to brag, and so ended his brief explanation with a promising tail wag.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
"Moonspear," Floki replied, proudly providing the name of his pack when the stranger showed interest. He found himself sizing up the male, wondering if he would fit in and if Charon would approve of him. They had had a small influx of new members lately, and ironically enough, they were all male. He supposed in a way it balanced out the fact that Amekaze had given birth to four female puppies, who would grow up soon enough and occupy their adult ranks.

Continuing, he added, "We claim a mountain in that range back there." He gestured towards Moonspear's peak rising above them in the distance. "Are you looking to join a pack?" It was hard to tell the wolf's intentions; he seemed satisfied with his lot in life as a self-proclaimed wanderer, but Floki was a prime example of restless paws put to good use.
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
A mountainous guild was perhaps what the warrior was seeking, for it would surely remind him much of the Keep with it's high-turreted ledges and rocky slopes. He wasn't sure if he could adapt to a climate much other than the peaks, for his framework was definitely not build like his swift-footed counterparts, nor like some ocean dwelling folk. So, he replied to the pale sir's voluntary query with affirmative words of his own.

"I am in fact seeking a home,' he'd state, eyes wandering away from his company's fawn face to gaze upon the general direction of this fabled 'Moonspear' that the runner spoke so fondly about. "With winter coming, I cannot afford to roam alone." Maybe he could test the waters; he was already beginning to like this fellow yet perhaps others would offer him more. Even so: "May I hear your name? was added.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Floki nodded. He could sympathize with this wolf; winter was knocking on their door, and he knew how important a pack was to survival. It was the whole reason that he and Charon had left Stavanger Bay and moved to Moonspear with Amekaze; their family had dwindled to such a small size that they hadn't stood a chance weathering the cold season alone on the coast.

"My name is Floki. I'm Moonspear's Beta," he replied, inclining his chin slightly as he spoke. He was proud of his title and knew he could use it as leverage -- Amekaze and Charon trusted his judgment and relied on him for recruitment. "And you are?" he asked, now that he had identified himself.
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
The words spoken were of authority and pride, and though the Treborn could sense he was not being looked down upon, he felt the need to acknowledge the title with a slight dip of skullage. To be a Beta was a symbol of power, a pledging of allegiance, an advisor and an aid and, although he himself had never been awarded such a high status, making a good impression and expressing his assets would surely prove to be worthy leverage.

"A hard earned title for a hard working wolf," he'd let a glimmer of a smile touch his lips before it was gone. "I'm Aurelius, traveller and former Gamma of Aurum Keep." With a polite wave of his tail, the brute would further emphasise his speach. "Promotion was never easy there; it required dedication and skill." He tilted his head to one side, slightly, as if to invite some insight on what life was like within the mountain pack.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Not only was the other wolf polite, but he played perfectly into Floki's ego. He would be lying if he said it didn't bolster his confidence some. He committed Aurelius' name and former pack information to memory; this would come in handy if he did end up as one of Moonspear's recruits.

"It's nice to meet you, Aurelius. I think that Moonspear would benefit from the presence of a wolf like yourself," he said, the invitation hanging in the air. He was, perhaps, making a quick decision -- but he liked what he saw, and felt strongly that Charon and Amekaze would feel the same.
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
It was purely his upbringing that lead the brute to near perfect manners; if he had stayed with the band then he would likely have gotten across a very different image of himself. And so, with quietly receptive features, Aurelius would shift his posture slightly as the Beta began to speak, molten eyes all the while alight with interest.

Despite the lead-up, the effort to play himself up, the Treborn found himself taken aback by the invitation. Perhaps it was because time alone had become the norm, and the prospect of being offered a chance to affiliate didn't quite hit the reality mark, but he found himself at an awkward cross-roads. "I- will think about it," he found himself saying, only the faintest hint of what may have been a stammer showing through. He offered the sandy sir a quick smile. "Your peak will always be in my sight.".
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
"Sounds good," Floki said. He wasn't surprised when Aurelius didn't immediately accept his invitation; it had been forward, after all. But had he not spoken up, then the able-bodied traveler likely would have found another place to call home. Now, he knew that Moonspear would remain in the back of his mind.

With a smile, he stepped back and began to pivot. "You know where to find me," he said, and with a flick of his tail, he turned and retreated, feeling satisfied with the brief encounter.
The Seeker
28 Posts
Ooc — Olivia
It warmed the brute when his hesitance was not met with discrimination, nevertheless Floki didn't seem to display that sort of attitude and so the dark Treborn offered him a kind nod in response. "Of course," he rumbled, deciding not to hold the pale man up in his retreat as he himself turned to go. T'was certainly a calming notion on his nerves to hear that his company would hold him in good thoughts, and so he remained in his pose for a little longer until the last whisps of the Beta's hindquarters disappeared into the brush.

He uttered not a sound as he trotted back towards the shore, head bend low as he continued his hunt without another interruption. Perhaps he'd have more luck now he could focus once again, but thoughts of Moonspear still trailed his mind. He knew one day he'd venture forth towards the foothills, when, he was not certain.

I'll go ahead and archive this here :)