Hushed Willows Finally, someone who speaks English.
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Private 
Things seemed to be...evening out. They weren't getting any better in the terms of the packmates that were missing but at the same time they weren't getting any worse either. That had to be something, right? Stark at least hadn't lost anyone else and he knew he owed quite a bit of that to @Banner. She was an asset not only in his life but the livelihood of the pack too. She worked tirelessly - throwing herself into the pack and Stark was so immensely grateful for his sister. 

He was walking the borders, occasionally stopping to reinforce his scent when the thought came to him. He lifted his head and howled for his sister - hoping that she wasn't too caught up in Buchanan and could afford to make some time for her so very beloved brother. He had thought about bringing her something to eat but his hunt had gone sideways and the fox had gotten away from him so in that case, he was empty handed. 
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
It seemed like she was never far away from him, though Banner'd chalk that up to coincidence.  She'd hit her stride in independence a few weeks ago but she did usually have a general sense of where her brother was.  Stark radar.  Starkdar?  She shook her head and snorted before bounding off in his direction.

Ears slicked back, Banner approached her darker brother with a soft woof.  He'd been patrolling the borders, remarking them where necessary.  Good.  The title of Alpha suited him nicely.  Growing up, she'd never have guessed that her dear brother would be in such a position of elevated responsibility.  But hell if it didn't work out!  "Yes?" she asked quietly, sidling up to the taller male with a grace she didn't know she possessed.  Her bright green eyes surveyed the area absently.  "You've been busy," she noted.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
If they'd all asked, Stark would never have wanted to get this far. He would have wanted the accolades without all the responsibility, he'd want to see things a little different than they were. Banner never let him down, thankfully he'd caught her before she'd left the packlands again to go try and track down the missing Ostregas or Octavia. Stark leaned against her for a moment, their coats brushing and he rested his blue gaze on her for a moment. "Trying to get it all together." He hummed out. 

"You have too, Scout." He said with a smile. Her hard work certainly hadn't gone unnoticed and Stark couldn't appreciate her more than he already did. It was impossible to consider. "I've thought about things some, and I mean....it's basically already how things are. I want you to be my Beta." He said after a moment of quiet, hoping that she wouldn't balk at the idea or get self conscious. 

She had a chance to talk herself out of things, of making stuff awkward and of doubting herself - but she'd blossomed in ways he'd never execpted and seeing her come out of her shell was nothing short of breathtaking. She was becoming the wolf that Stark always saw, and the best part was, she was letting other people see it too. 
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Not the best at taking a compliment, Banner wrinkled her nose and ducked her head a bit.  Recognition wasn't a goal of hers - she wanted to do what was right, to help Stark with pack matters where she could.  Most importantly she wanted to help out her brother, to be there for him whenever and for whatever reason.  In her mind, it was really as simple as that.

Stark's uncharacteristic quiet caused her to look up again.  As the days and weeks passed, she'd noticed that he'd been more serious, which she supposed was natural.  All that responsibility heaped on his dark shoulders had to weigh heavily on him.  But what he'd asked of her.. well, he didn't ask.  He stated it.  Beta.  Her bright green eyes widened a bit as she took a solid second or so to just stare at him.

"Ah.. are you.." she began, her tongue feeling oddly heavy in her mouth.  Banner knew what word she'd end on and she also already knew the answer, but it slipped out anyway: ".. sure?"  Like, really sure?  Really, really sure?  The short female blinked rapidly as her mind strugged to catch up with their conversation.  Of course he was sure.  Stark was rarely not sure of himself.  In public, anyway.  It was one of the many endearingly annoying reasons she loved him!  "I don't know what to say," she rushed out in her low voice, uncertainty surrounding her like an itchy shroud.  Truthfully, it didn't occur to her to say "yes" (or anything, for that matter) because she knew it wasn't a question.  It wasn't a request.  If this is what Stark truly wanted, it would be so.   Banner cleared her throat and gave her brother a sheepish look in an unsurprising show of awkwardness.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark could only smile at her, watching as the predictable emotions ran through her. He knew that she was going to stress the small stuff, and in this case, it was all for nothing. She'd progressed and been doing so much for the pack Stark felt like she deserved that recognition and the respect that came with it. He leaned over and nudged her, slowly guiding her chin up a smidge to where he'd have it. "C'mon, suit up with me." He hummed out. "You're already doing the work - you deserve the respect. You've been the biggest help to me, you and Rhodey, but I want him to get more settled in the lands and more comfortable before feeding him to the sharks." He intoned. 

The leadership rank had come with a massive failure on the pack's part, devolving into chaos so quickly but all that meant was that this would be the time for them to set it all right. They'd fix things together as they always did. "You don't have to - but, I think you should." Not just for him, not because it was what he was hopeful for, it was because it was what Banner truly did deserve. No one else had been half as supportive as she had of him and his goals. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
And there he went, always bringing her up when she was down on herself.  Banner huffed playfully when he moved her chin up, her green eyes narrowing in a mock glare.  The argument was on the tip of her tongue - all the reason why she'd make a terrible leader, the ways she'd grow to disappoint him, all of them - but it all died there.  Stark believed in her more than anyone else ever had.  More than she believed in herself.  That had never been more clear than it was right now.

".. then I will," she said after thinking about it for a few long moments.  For him, she'd do it for him.  He needed her now more than ever and Banner would be damned if she didn't at least try to deliver.  Backing up a step, she inhaled deeply and rolled her bright eyes skyward on the loud, overly-dramatic exhale.  "You're going to put me in an early grave," she joked lightly.  "You and Tambourine."  The dark brown Marauder let out a small laugh when she thought of the child.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
It was amazing how much the two doubted themselves and how much they supported each other. Stark would never have thought of the things either of them would do as actually attainable goals without each other. He grinned as Banner leveled her gaze on him, offering the woman a little grin. "I know you've got it in you." He promised. He wouldn't put that pressure on her if he didn't believe in what she was made of. She might need the right environment to really get to know what was at her core but Stark saw it every single day. 

"You're probably right." He said with a chuckle, he couldn't even argue that point. "But at least both of us are cute, right?" He nudged her, suddenly remembering the male she'd brought into the pack. "Or have you forgotten just how handsome I am with the mysterious Buchanan running about?" Two birds with one stone, he figured. They'd talked about the important stuff 0 now there was the other business he'd wanted to attend to. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
His words of affirmation warmed her heart and she let out another sigh - this one was small, decidedly un-dramatic, and just.. content.  Banner had a lot of learning to do in the days and weeks ahead, but as long as Stark was at her side she knew she'd get through it somehow. 

"Adorable," she countered sarcastically.  They were both cute - Tambourine moreso than Stark because it was a little too weird for her to think of her dark brother as cute.  Banner's tail wagged at the sentiment, though a stern, almost matronly frown appeared on her face a mere second later.  She locked onto his blue eyes, her own narrowing yet again.  In a rather theatrical move, Banner turned her nose up at him and suddenly strolled off in the direction he'd been heading when she caught up with him.  "Are you always going to be the only man in my life?" she called back in a sing-song voice.  It was doubtful that he'd fall for the distraction, but worth a shot all the same.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
If it was Banner's attempt at trying to divert his attention it was a failure. "If by that you're asking if I'll always be there, then yes." Stark said with a little smile. He bumped his shoulder against hers as they made their way along the borders. "I'm not gonna like...block your happiness or anything I'm just curious." He said as evenly as he possibly could. Sure, he'd probably struggle with his jealousy and try and not be a dick to Buchanan as much as was possible for him. He thought he could swallow his pride if Banner did like him - right now he was just putting out the feelers, so to say. 

If he was settling well, which Stark did hope, then he wanted to see if he'd made any headway on getting settled or if there was any sort of second guessing that he'd done. Stark was hoping that it wasn't too bad. He'd felt like things were getting at least minimally better and he had the selfish hope that maybe someone else could tell too. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
"I know that," she added with a huff.  Please!  As if Banner weren't aware that he'd always be there for her.  She returned his bump with one of her own while quickening her pace.  Stark had long legs, damnit.  Well, longer than hers.  The side-eye she gave him was strong, though she wasn't quite ready to voice her opinion on the Buchanan situation just yet.

Because it wasn't a situation.  Was it?  She frowned thoughtfully as they trotted along the borders of Marauder's Keep.  Banner supposed she wouldn't know if she were in a situation with the mysterious male becuase she'd never been.. involved with anyone before.  It was all quite foreign to her and went against the way she lived her life up until now: keep everyone at a distance (with the obvious exception currently by her side, of course) and don't make a scene.  But now..?

"It's not a thing," she finally stated in a curiously even tone.  Banner took in a measured breath and turned her head to look Stark in the eye.   "I think?"  Oh, the uncertainty of it all.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark slowed his gait a bit, forgetting for a moment that his excitement meant he was getting ahead of himself (and her!). She pushed back on him and he grinned at her, licking his lips as he waited for her response. If he only could have been privy to her thoughts he would have seen a concern and uncertainty just as strong as his own. He still was uncertain about how things were going to end up with Octavia - if she came back to them, if she was going to be the wolf that he'd met. He fretted and worried about it constantly. 

His gaze softened a bit as if he could feel the uncertainty coming off of her the way he usually could her anger. He hadn't seen her lose her control in quite awile and Stark knew that the wolf standing next to him was a different woman than she had been just a year ago. She'd grown so much, but so had he, and now they were standing at the starting line for a bright new future that they'd forge together. 

"Tell me about him." It was a quiet request, an invitation for Banner to talk about anything - everything. Voice her doubts, her fears, the things she liked, the hoeps she had. He wanted to know it all, if she wanted to offer it. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
His soft request took her off guard.  Ears flicking, she took that strange moment to pause in their stroll around the borders and scan the area with a seriousness she didn't usually possess.  Nothing was amiss - not that she'd expected anything to be out of the ordinary, really - and so she turned her stare to Stark.  I don't know what to say, she began honestly.  There's.. I don't know all that much about him.

She frowned again.  However truthful, those words seemed absolutely ridiculous when she said them aloud.  So she, the new Beta of Marauder's Keep, had invited a man she didn't actually know to live among them?  Among their small numbers, their children, their resources?  She shook her head, clearing her thoughts, before fixing her darker brother with another serious look.  The scars are his kill count, she murmured, choosing that moment to look away again.  He gave me a crane he'd killed and carried it back here for me.  Then he kept watch from the marsh while I made it back to the pack.  Banner's words were quiet enough for her brother's ears only as she recalled the first time she'd met Buchanan.  But he'd been Ghost then.

He's so controlled.  I.. she trailed off, not sure how to quite explain to Stark how she admired their new recruit's demeanor.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark was curious about Banner's impressions. It went without saying that he trusted her above anyone else and Stark was curious of her personal opinions on the man. Stark gave a little nod as he said a kill count - he'd been curious about the mark on his shoulder but even Stark had some level of decorum and hadn't asked outright. Tambourine would probably ask, same as he'd ask about the whole tail (or lack of) situation. He was young though and he needed to learn manners but he had the chance to learn. It was terrifying to think that it sort of rested on him now to do all of that. Parenting, raising a kid - jesus. If he'd ever considered leaving her certainly couldn't now. 

"So he's nice, despite the whole rough and tumble thing - unless it's special just for you." Stark said with a little smile. It was alarming to think of someone considering Banner the way he did Octavia - but then, she deserved that. When Banner went quiet Stark gave a nod, picking up with what she didn't say - and didn't need to. "You're thinking that he might be able to help you too?" He guessed. In what he'd seen from Banner she didn't need the same level of work and control. Sure, she'd always have to pay attention and she'd have to recognize what was happening with her emotions. 

She'd come so far, though, and Stark knew she'd put an insane amount of work into her life. "I think you've been doing great, for what it's worth." He offered with a small smile. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
I don't know, she said quickly.  Maybe a little too quickly.  That seems like a lot to put on someone else's shoulders.  Her anger issues were hers to deal with - hers alone.  Banner wasn't stupid enough to ever say that out loud because she knew Stark would protest.  Loudly.  For two hours.  She flashed him another smile, this one stronger than before.  The ultimate goal in her mind was to maintian control.  The length of time was debatable, but in a perfect world she'd be polite, think before she spoke, and engage others while being less awkward overall.

This was not a perfect world.  On some level she could accept that.

Thanks, she said with a happy flick of her tail.  I think I've been.. distracted.  In a good way.  And not just by their new recruit, either!  I did have a couple of close calls, but they were away from the Keep.  Pretty far away, actually..  Banner trailed off in a mumble while she thought of two separate occasions where she'd been rather surly with random males she'd come across.  Always with the males.  What was up with that?  I guess some men just can't handle me, she joked quietly.  Stark was most certainly not one of those men.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
"Just like it's a lot to handle alone." Stark countered. "You don't let me handle all my crazy alone." She never left him high and dry, never left him to handle everything all on his own. He wasn't left to the sharks which was good, considering that Stark had been going against his nature since the altercation between Harlyn and Octavia and it was more exhausting than he ever could have imagined actually thinking and plotting and not just going with his heart. 

Maybe it was different, but Stark really didn't see it that way. Banner had to endure a lot on her own which Stark knew she felt like it was her plight alone - but Stark never wanted to leave her alone. He wouldn't leave her alone. Instead he pushed to help her as much as he could and he wanted her to know that he was always there. It wasn't like he doubted that she knew, but, the reminder needed to be there. 

"What can I say? We're intimidated by power." He said with a little laugh. "Find anything exciting while you're out there?"
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
No I do not, she replied with a good-natured huff.  Leaving Stark to deal with himself?  Distaster.  He needed someone to even him out and Banner rather enjoyed that she was that wolf.  Octavia could have taken up that role, but.. ah, hell.  She had enough to worry about without jamming the wayward female into her already full mind.

Once introduced, however, it was hard to ignore.  The questions gnawed at her every day.  Stark handled it all rather well - what other choice did he have in the matter?

The urge to bring up Octavia was strong, but she quelled it.  For now.  It didn't seem like the right time to inject her into conversation.  Besides, she was fairly certain that her brother didn't have any updates to give on that situation.  How could he?  She'd gone missing, leaving even her precious Tambourine in the care of other wovles.  Banner frowned, but moved right along with Stark's conversation flow.  Not really.  No sign of Pippin.  Met some a few wolves from other packs - a couple of allies, anyway, she explained in her low voice.  The wovles in these parts weren't the warring type (she hoped not, anyway!) so maybe "allies" hadn't been the right word.  Friends, she amended quickly.  Yes, friends.  They had a fair few directions to head off in should they need a helping hand.  Er.. paw.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark smiled at her - hoping that she was also getting the point he was making. She wasn't alone in this - and she never would be. Stark would make sure of it. He had no thoughts other than staying with her for as long as he could. Stark nodded as she admitted there was no signs of Pippin, not that he expected to magically bring the boy home but to hear that she was already being diplomatic and making her presence known to the other packs was a huge relief to Stark. He needed to do the same. 

"I know I made the right choice." He said with a smile, nuzzling against her for a moment. "We'll need a lot of those I think." He felt like he could make enough friends and allies for them - they didn't need any fights after all and he had no interest and making things more complicated for them. "Hey B?" It was a random thought - and like so many times he just blurted them out. "Do you use your last name? Our last name? I...never have. Maybe we should make one for ourselves."
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Pushing back business aside, Banner chose to focus on Stark's more personal questions.  She hadn't thought about it ever, really, now that he brought up their last name.  Phase? she asked, perhaps a bit dumbly.  The dark brown female couldn't recall that she'd felt lacking while not using a surname - but was that weird.  She was just Banner.  Always had been.

Knitting her brows together, she gave Stark a thoughtful look.  I haven't .. thought about it before, she began with a shrug.  But no.  I've always been Banner.  Plain and simple, she finished with an afirmative nod of her head.  Plain and simple were two thing she'd longed to be.  But taking on a new name?  In the grand scheme of her life, it seemed like a frivolous matter.  One that was clearly important enough for her brother to bring up to her.  Do you have something in mind? she asked, genuinely curious if he'd thought of something fitting for the pair.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark shook his head, it was a fanciful notion but he wasn't sure if it was one that mattered. Maybe if they had mates, kids, a whole family they'd want to give an identity to themselves. "It's not like I carried the name proudly." Stark admitted, he'd always felt like the lesser child when compared to Cap but then there were superior siblings in every litter Curran had produced. 

"It was a silly thought. Just sort of...popped into my head." He admitted. If anyone knew how short his filter was Banner would be the one, and as soon as the thought popped up he'd spoken it without a second thought. "Maybe we'll find something that works for us." 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
wrap up?! (:

Hm, she said with a frown as she watched Stark.  None of them had used a surname since she could remember - Cap certainly didn't.  There wasn't a big need to in their old pack and anything other than a first name seemed cumersome when she'd arrived here.  The fact that she'd arrived in the middle of an awful famine was an excellent excuse.  Banner, short and poofy as she usually was, hadn't found energy for much after spending a couple weeks on her own.

But that was the past.  There were more important things to worry about now.  We'll figure it out, she murmured, her words almost a coo to comfor her dear brother.  We always do, she added playfully.  And they did, didn't they?  So far there wasn't a catastrophe Stark and Banner couldn't solve together.  Now, what do you say we go for a stroll around the borders, hm?  I'm sure you have more marking to do, she said with a hearty eye roll.  The green-eyed Marauder knew how to play right into her brother's ego to distract him.  All in the most loving way possible, of course!
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Names didn't mean too much in the long run. They'd always be Banner and Stark, Stark and Banner, partners in crime. Occasional mad scientists, heroes for hire. Stark couldn't ask for anyone better to share his days with than the dark female and he didn't need anyone but her. The notion was becoming a little outdated the more that he established himself and it was more evident too that this was why he hadn't before. It made it harder to consider leaving ever, how could he walk out on Tambourine after all? Stark wasn't keen on leaving any time soon and so the thought was put away for later.

Stark offered her a small smile as she spoke - it was comfortable and easy as always and Stark was put to ease by the way that she swiftly moved past his concerns into something more pleasant. Border patrols, as boring as they were, had become a staple to life and it was a necessary evil. "I believe someone else has some marking to start doing too." He said with a smirk, tail whipping behind him playfully. "C'mon then, Beta, lets get going."