The Sentinels oh, son, you sold your everlasting soul to the devil
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Private 
@Deirdre oh this tangled web we weave. set the morning after this thread. also very slight pp in this

Starbuck had recovered quickly from the events of the night before, at least partially because she didn't dwell on it. Her friend needed her more than Starbuck needed to agonize over her misstep. It had been too long since Deirdre had rested, and Starbuck feared that she was neglecting herself in favor of Larkspur. Starbuck wished that she would not. After all, was that not why Starbuck had joined her in caring for the girl? But Deirdre's was a heart made for loving, and of course she would put others before herself.

Deirdre had yet to make an appearance since the night before, and though Starbuck was not yet worried, she wanted to check on the witch. Leaving the healing den behind, the Seer set off in the direction Deirdre and Skellige had gone the night before. As she loped away, she tipped her muzzle up and let out a call for Deirdre. She saw no reason not to get an answer.
[Image: counselor.gif] 1/5[Image: caretaker.gif]2/5 or [Image: outrider.gif]2/5
slowly drifting, wave after wave
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
she had been heading toward the healing den she kept larkspur, flowers in tow for both starbuck and larkspur both. some were simply pretty little things that had fallen neatly--as she would never kill the flowers herself!!--and others were to aid in larkspur's recovery. her gait was not as fluid as it typically was, and deirdre's head pounded terribly. but she needed to see larkspur well! and it was time to help starbuck, her shift had come, and she could abandon no one in their times of need! 

the howl was hardly heard, her head swam so! she moved to respond to the song, but instead, as she placed the flowers down and moved her head upward to sing, deirdre saw blackness for a moment and awoke on the earthy floor. it seemed unwise to move in her state, and so she placed the flowers to the earth and answered starbuck's call, her voice carried by an urgent wind that beckoned.
[Image: BCay9TG.png]
in oceans deep. my faith will stand
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
The answering call carried an urgency that spurred Starbuck into a brisk run. She knew the lay of the land well enough to chart the quickest course to the rough source of the song, and from there Starbuck need only use her nose to find Deirdre. Starbuck found her on the ground, a bundle of flowers (both medicinal and not) cast aside beside her. She looked unwell, and immediately Starbuck was at her side.

You look unwell, she stated, worry etched into the space between her brows. I fear you have been overworking yourself. Tell me, how do you feel? For a moment Starbuck wondered how she would care for not one but two weakened wolves. It worried her, splitting her attentions between the two.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
her friend was beside her in what was surely only a moments time, and deirdre heard the other, though it took a moment for her to understand. dehydration did this to her, and she squinted upward at starbuck. the woman was an angel from above, really, the way the light haloed around her pretty head, and deirdre smiled a little dizzily, despite the situation at hand. you need not fear for me, spoke lashers daughter, foolishly selfless, even at the risk of her own self. but she wanted starbuck to feel at ease. i only need to rest a while, is all. and water, her dry tongue indicated that much, but deirdre did not know that she needed more than a couple of sips to chase this sickness away.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
made a few assumptions B) can change!

Seeing her friend in such a state spurred Starbuck into action. She quickly took stock of Deirdre's symptoms. By her words and her unfocused gaze, Starbuck could see that Deirdre was more than overtired. Even her nose seemed dry, and Starbuck confirmed that with a gentle bump of her nose to Deirdre's. My dear, she sighed, though the sound was comforting. I will get you water. Do not try to move, you need your rest.

Once she was sure that Deirdre would not move, Starbuck set off. The trees were old and the air was moist, and so it was easy to find moss. This she stripped from the tree it grew on and brought to one of the streams that crossed the Sentinels. The coywolf submerged the moss, waiting for several moments before pulling it from the water. Water poured from it, but some was still trapped. Water and all Starbuck brought the moss back to Deirdre. She placed it before the girl and instructed her to drink. I will retrieve more when you finish with this.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre was compliant, lowering her head to rest it against her forelegs. in starbuck's absence the girl dozed tiredly, unable to think much at all. no, her body wanted for sleep as much as it wanted for water! but then starbuck returned to her again, and the scent of liquid roused her enough to open her eyes.

she listened, again, having no qualms in her dear starbuck's assistance. deirdre drank, and even if she wished to drink until she could not she was slow in doing so. the moss assissted in assuring this, and so did the knowledge that to do so would only sicken her further. her lips were wet with pearldrops of water by the time she finished, and she sighed softly. thank-you, she thought to mention, though to herself she sounded so far away!
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Deirdre drank deep of the water Starbuck brought, a promising sign. She would have to pace Deirdre, too much at once could undo all of their work. And not only did the girl need water, but she needed rest and food. Rest, my dear, she cooed. When you wake, there will be more, and there will be food. She pressed a chaste kiss to her friend's brow.

While Deirdre slept, Starbuck could hunt. She would leave more soaked moss for when Deirdre woke up and, if luck were on her side, blueberries. Starbuck had yet to seek out more of the berries Lucienne had shown her, but they would fill Deirdre's stomach and rehydrate her.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre would feel hot to the touch, and did as she was told without contest. she never minded sleeping in the open, and truth be told she could frequently be found doing so in her youth when her bones grew and she required sleep to ease her growing pains. deirdre rarely slept within a den as the moonlight was and the night breeze was not something she turned her cheek to. deirdre had no qualms with resting, and thought to recommend an herb in a mumbled, likely unintelligible word; her tongue felt thick, and she was ready to sleep. she had not realized how tired she felt!
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Deirdre offered no protest, and so Starbuck left her to her sleep. She refreshed the water on the moss and left it for Deirdre to drink when she awoke. Then off she went, keen eyes searching the wood for some small prey and a familiar bush. It was the prey she found first, a shifty squirrel hard at work burying food for the winter. The buried nuts would prove useless to the beast, for Starbuck was quick to snatch it. She returned to Deirdre and left the kill for her, and then again Starbuck went off in search of whatever she could find to help.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre continued to sleep. her head was devoid of dream; there was only blackness, which was a rare reprieve. so much had been on her mind that truly this stark silence was a blessing! not even the heady scent of her favorite snack could rouse her, and so when starbuck returned to her again she would likely still be resting.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Starbuck was quick to abandon her search. There were none of the berries to be had, which was a great disappointment, not only because she thought that they would be good for Deirdre, but also because she enjoyed them. Disappointed, Starbuck returned to where Deirdre slept. The sylph lay still, dreaming and peaceful. Starbuck's heart filled with affection for her, and she was quick to lay down along Deirdre's back. Snuggle time.