Barrow Fields i was in calcutta, i was pretty well removed
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
All Welcome 
Despite every intention of heading north, Banner ended up veering out westward.  The one time she'd seen the coast hadn't been anything memorable and as such she felt no particular drive to return there.  Her paws took her a bit farther than Raven's Watch and so the Beta found herself staring out over Barrow Fields, head cocked to the side as she tried to make sense of the landscape.  It'd be a perfectly flat field if not for those random mounds everywhere.  And, upon further inspection, a few of them looked as though they'd seen better days.  Approaching one cautiously, she pawed at the disturbed earth.  Someone had been digging here at some point.  Looked quite old, too.  Her bright green eyes scanned the area and she noticed that several of them were in a similar state.  Huh.

But there wasn't anything here.  The field itself was vast and open and there were no obvious places to hide anything of value.  The lady Marauder enjoyed stashing her own treasures deep within the confines of gnarled roots back home among the willow trees.  At least there she could tuck things out of the way and they'd sort of blend in.  But out here anyone could just wander on by.  With a huff, Banner lowered her head and sniffed the mound at her paws.  She didn't really expect to scent anything but now she was just so damn curious!

Throwing one last look around, the short female shrugged and made sure to steady her back legs before she began to dig in earnest.  A light fall breeze ruffled the chocolate brown fur along her spine as she worked out in the early afternoon daylight to pile upturned earth under her body.  A voice in the back of her mind told her quite clearly that she'd have no luck in finding anything, but the urge to dig just overtook her and so.. to hell with it!
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
i'M cRaZY?! What's crAZy is that this world refuses to let me be with yOU~!! <3
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
The Beta wandered outside of Saltwinter borders, if only to survey their surroundings. Packs had a nasty tendency of springing their borders unexpectedly, without any warning to their future neighbors. They just as well had a tendency to disappear suddenly as well. She had no intention on becoming a scout, but better her than no one at all.

She didn't go far before she encountered another lost soul in the fields south of their Sound. She couldn't see the face of the wolf — the woman was headfirst in a hole, digging furiously. Maude smirked, sidling up to the woman. Found somet'in' interestin' in dere, matey?
Maude identifies as female, but is physically male.

(She also swears like a (literal) sailor)
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Ff-!

Startled didn't even being to explain it.  Banner jumped, her digging long since forgotten, when a voice disrupted what had been a peaceful endeavor.  What the hell! she exclaimed, her bright green eyes wide and a little wild as she put a few good paces worth of distance between herself and the wolf who had come on the scene so suddenly.

She blinked rapidly, focusing on her own heartbeat while she attempted to calm herself.  Wouldn't do any good to get upset at the slim and unkempt wolf who surprised the hell out of her.  Banner blinked rapidly and cleared her throat.  I'm.. sorry.  You surprised me, she admitted in her low voice, ending her words with a sigh.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Maude cackled as the woman jerked out of her hole, obviously frightened by the wench's sudden appearance. A wide grin stretched across her face as the woman apologized. Maude shook her head. Ah, nothin' t' 'pologize fer. I did scare ye, The pirate stepped forward, looking at the hole curiously. Wotcha lookin' fer then?

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
A few deep breaths later, Banner felt her mood calm once again.  She smiled as her apology was rebuffed.  That was something she'd grown used to.  For all the apologies she constantaly tossed out, most wolves brushed them off instantly.  Though the extra space wasn't necessary, the Marauder took another step back while her brown and ragged companion took a closer look at what she'd been digging.  Uh.. nothing, I guess, she admitted with a frown.  Her gaze lingered to a nearby mound that bore clear evidence of digging, though the hole was much, much older.  Seems like the thing to do around here, she said with a shrug.

Ugh.  If there were ever a time for a face palm, she'd choose now.  So.. I just started digging..? she trailed off, horribly aware of how awkward it was when she kept trying to explain.  Banner should have taken a page from Buchanan's book and left it at a single, one-word response.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Maude cackled at the thought. Aye! Dat's wot we do 'ere. Dig 'round fer nothin' at all! She giggled with mocking glee. She couldn't imagine doing something for no reason at all. Sure digging was fun, but it was arduous as well. Might as well get something out of it at the end. So, diggin' matey, She looked the woman over, trying to gauge where she came from. Yew from 'round 'ere? 'Tis mostly landlubbers who do addled stuff like dat.

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Banner gave her new companion and strange sort of look.  She wasn't sure how she felt at the moment, what with this strangely-accented wolf mocking her and all.  It was her own damn fault for deciding to dig for no reason while letting her guard down.  That was a dangerous practice so far away from home.

Er.. no.  I'm from Marauder's Keep.  It's back that way, she offered, swinging her head around to point back in the direction of her home among the willow trees.  I haven't been..  landlubbers? she repeated, the word feeling strange on her tongue.  What does that even.. who are you?  Banner was clearly not used to other wolves being so forward and er.. rough around the edges.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Marauder's Keep? Maude cackled boisterously. Wot is it wit yew landlubbers an' tryin' t'be pirates! Marauder's. Wot a laugh! She couldn't get it. Seadog Sanctuary, now Marauder's Keep? All so far inland the sea could barely be seen, let alone heard? These landlubbers...soft with their dreams of grandeur...

Name's Maude, her tail wagging behind her. Landlubbers're wolves wot ain't used to the sea. Can't 'unt in it or 'round it, don't know wot tides are, can't 'void riptides and currents. She always loved explaining the word to inland wolves. She liked seeing them squirm in embarrassment.

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
I didn't name it, she shot back with a frown.  No, that honor had gone to an Alpha male who'd promptly abandoned the pack shortly after.  Quite a history they had with leadership.  Banner shook her head and re-focused on the heavily-accented wolf currently having a bit of fun at her expense.  She wanted to say something in defense of Marauder's Keep, but.. well, what was there to say?  The name was a little odd.  She'd always thought it was meant to sound threatening to outsiders.  Oh well.

Banner, she offered.  And.. yeah.  I don't know about any of those things.  Why the hell would she know about any of that?  The short female's life wasn't spent at the shore and the only time she went swimming was in lakes or rivers, strictly freshwater.  None of that salty stuff.  If she accidentally swallowed a couple mouthfulls of sea water Banner knew from experience in her younger months that she'd be throwing it all back up.  I'll keep my paws firmly on land, I think.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
There were no retorts, other than the muttered claim that she didn't name it. Still though, it was a hilarious thought. She let it go, for now at least. For now. Next time she met a "Marauder" she'd bring it up.

She internalized the name; it was best to remember those she messed with. Especially if it comes back to bite her. T'ink dat's a good idea, mate. Don't want any "marauder" endin' up lost 'n' drowned, eh?

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Lost and drowned?  Banner's nose scrunched up and she took another step back.  Lost she could handle.  Drowned?  She sucked in a breath and shook her head.  N..no, wouldn't want that.. she mumbled, clearly disturbed by the thought.  It wasn't difficult for her to imagine drowning being a terrible way to go.

Clearing her throat, Banner decided to steer the conversation in a less troubling direction.  She'd try, anyway.  .. and you?  Where are you from? she asked, face neutral once more and head tilted to the side curiously.  The ragged wolf was undoubtedly from somewhere near the sea.  Somewhere near here.  Or maybe her companion hailed from a mountain and was just an insane, strangely accented being who wandered around harassing others for not knowing anything about the ocean.

Probably not.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Drowning wasn't a fate any wolf would want, even seadogs, especially seadogs. They knew best of all how dangerous the ocean could be, and how quickly and easily even the strongest wolves could be cowed by the ocean's might. Sure, they were good swimmers and fishers, but they were cautious and just as frightened of the ocean as landlubbers were. She supposed. She didn't bother mocking the woman for her frightened reaction; it was a natural one after all.
Me pack's named Saltwinter; we live in Ankyra Sound. 's by the sea, north o'some Barrow Fields.

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Saltwinter.  A thoughtful look crossed her face as her head turned in the direction Maude indicated.  Have you been there long? she asked quickly, her tone oddly clipped.  It only took a half second for her to realize her mistake.  How could she be so rude?  And for no reason!  Banner sucked in a breath and shook her head before re-focusing on her oddly accented companion.  I'm sorry, I've just never met a wolf who lived by the sea, she admitted with an apologetic frown.  At least, I don't think I have..

With landlubbers like her, it didn't come up in conversation much.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
She hadn't been in Saltwinter for long, at least not compared to the others. Maude canted her head, wondering about the history of the pack. Mebbe for a year, almost a year? I ain't been dere long compared t' the others. She shrugged. It made no difference to her how long the pack had been there (though it was impressive that they lasted longer than most crews back home), but she still worked for them. Even if they had just been founded before she arrived, nothing would change. First time fer ev'ryt'ing, roight?

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
yikes, i let this one get away from me - sorry about the delay!  last post from me :)

Sure is, she agreed awkwardly, attempting to smooth her reply over with an indifferent shrug of her shoulder.  Banner couldn't hold back her grimace: awkward is as awkward does.  The feeling settled over her and discomfort followed soon after.  She cleared her throat and cast a glance back in the direction of home, where her family and familiar surroundings were.  She turned back to Maude, an apologietic smile plastered on her face.  No need to be rude to her rough-around-the-edges companion!

.. but she felt the immediate need to retun home anyway.  I'm sorry.. I just.. do you mind if I.. go back..?  Stumbling over her words.  Lovely.  The dark brown lady shook her head and sighed at her own difficulties.  It was.. nice meeting you, Maude.  Nice was an understatement.  Banner didn't think the sea wolf would appreciate a more colorful description.  But hell, what did she know?  Maybe it'd be met with deranged laughter.  Chuckling, she ducked her head as a means of silent apology.  If you're ever in the area, maybe you could show the Maurauders how it's really done? she ended with a smirk.

Stark would get a kick out of Maude, that was for sure.  Her digging long forgotten, Banner paused a moment longer before turning back toward her home among the willow trees.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass