Ankyra Sound There's a line never crossed
"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
Private 
@Bain (Sorry for wanting so many threads XD) or @Kjalarr - or both, always fun XD Backdated to a few days (like, 2 or 3) after Caiaphas going missing.

After the sudden calling of Maude, Ondine had rushed over the borders to gather as many herbs she could find. She had laid them to dry before storing them neatly somewhere in the Grotto- away from the wetness and near the place she usually slept. She had rubbed her whole body around the place they were stored as to inform others this was hers and possibly Caiaphas' if she would come back. It was also a way to tell Kjalarr she hadn't gone back on her word- that she would gather herbs for the siren's possible return. 

The day after she had gone out hunting. She usually did for a meal and her "make-up", but today she went for some extra meat. She had been able to catch 2 rabbits and a half- the other half eaten and used by herself. A girl's gotta eat. When her blood was applied, the wound on her shoulder dipped in salt water and smothered in plant mush (Healing quite nicely into a tiny scar that would be hidden under her thick coat of white fur), she was finally able to relax.

She pulled herself to the beach, where she sat down as the sun was going down- creating a beautiful work of art in the sky of vibrant colors and cloudy shapes. Perhaps this was her favorite thing to see (After Bain, of course)- just the sea and sky, the sun highlighting them both like a true artist. Nature was beautiful, and so she hummed along with the waves. 
"I simply... Don't remember."
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
:D!
The Blackwater Islands had proved unfruitful. If Caiaphas had washed up there she hadn't lingered though Kjalarr knew deep within his heart that the siren queen likely hadn't washed ashore on the Islands. He had not scented her, nor had he seen any tracks that were distinctly canine. Kjalarr had made extra trips, too. Yet the signs were blaring obvious for him to see. Perhaps Caiaphas wasn't dead — for someone who considered himself to be realistic he had a lot of optimism — but she had not washed up on any of the territories bordering the Sound along the shore and he could not go search every territory along the Sequoia Coast for her, neither could he really spare the manpower. He was needed in Saltwinter, and in the wake of losing the siren queen Kjalarr wanted to keep their small band together in case anyone came with the intent of taking advantage — not that he, himself wasn't capable but he was inherently distrustful of strangers and other packs.

He wanted nothing to do with other packs, unbeknownst to him taking on a very Ragnar-esque view of other packs. A competition. At his disposal to raid. Kjalarr did not give up hope on Caiaphas but he had duties that needed tended to and could not spend every waking moment in search of her. If she was alive, he did not doubt that some day she might return to them, and if she wasn't...then it was what it was. Every one appeared to have stepped up to the plate as he'd asked of them. He was proud of them: all of them. He appreciated them. His small, rag-tag family. He trudged out of the water, giving his coat a fierce shake to dispel the saltwater that soaked it as he returned from what would be his last trip to Blackwater Islands in search of their lost Siren Queen. His nose full of the scent of sea brine it was her soft humming that caught his attention and in the setting sun his gaze fell upon her pallid form, darkened at her muzzle against the darkening sands around her.

“Ondine,” The Jarl greeted her, padding towards her. “How is your wound healing?” He inquired, remembering the tussle between her and Maude; given recent events he hadn't had much time to ask her about it and now seemed as good a time as any.

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
Her thoughts ran free as she sat there underneath the last rays of sunlight- the most beautiful in her opinion. The air was chillier than before, even with her thick coat of snow white fur did she feel it. Summer was ending and autumn would bring the winter. With Caiaphas gone, there was little change of a new generation being "made" anytime soon, which made her a little sad. As Gamma, she was in a position to ask to breed, but never had she felt the need for children herself. If the relation with Bain worked out really well she would consider it, but for now she was fine without any offspring. Babes were a handful, or so she had heard, and her free spirit did not do well in between walls placed by beings who would need her attention for a long, long time.

Her ears swiveled to a sound that called her name- recognizing the voice almost immediately-who wouldn't? Kjalarr could give very long speeches-. A tired smile highlighted her darkened muzzle, a tiny spark of determination present in both eyes. Kjalarr. She greeted as well, giving him a glance and took a submissive position. It's healing quite alright- I may have over-exaggerated a bit before... She said in an apologetic tone. I was just so mad- not because I lost, of course. I just- aaarrrgghh. Her brows furrowed as she snarled at nothing- never at Kjalarr. It would get the point of her frustration across, at least. 

From you being alone, I assume your search for our siren queen was not a succes? She asked in a softer voice.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
lol ondine thinking about puppies and i'm over here like: "omg next month kja will be old enough to spawn >__>" xD :p

Ondine greeted him and showed submission as to which the Jarl accepted with an acknowledging dip of his head. She informed him that her wound was healing well and then admitted she might have exaggerated it in a tone that held her apology. An amused smirk pulled at the corners of his lips, and he offered her a lofty shrug of his broad shoulders as if to say “no sweat” mostly because he wasn't sure what one said to that kind of admission. If anything at all. She was allowed to be over dramatic if she wanted to be. She let out a frustrate snarl as she struggled to explain to him why she'd been angry. His ears slicked back to rest at half mast atop his skull, his expression contemplative. Kjalarr canted his head ever so slightly, assessing her, trying to make sense of it. He still wasn't entirely sure what had happened between the two women that day. Perhaps he would never understand. “You can tell me if you have concerns, or grievances, Ondine,” Kjalarr encouraged her softly, after a moment. “I value honesty and everything you tell me will be confidential. I can't help or try to offer a solution if I don't know what's wrong.” And that was one of his many roles as Alpha, wasn't it? He was the one they looked to, to solve problems, to lead them. “I can't promise that I can fix everything, or that I'll always have the solution but it's my job to try, regardless.”

But he had no intention to push. If she wanted to open up to him then she would and if she did not then she would not. All Kjalarr could do was let her know that he would listen, that he would not judge and he would not punish her for her honesty (or any of the others at that). He wanted to be the leader that his father had been: the one that his wolves would follow into Hel and back, he wanted to be a good Jarl to them; and on the opposite side of that he wanted to have their backs, he wanted to do for them all that he could. Their loyalty was important, but their trust, their friendship was much more important. Loyalty only went so far without affection, without trust. It was a balance that Kjalarr knew needed to be struck between them: Jarl and subordinates. They were more than a pack: they were a family. Rag tag, sure, but family nevertheless.

He inhaled deeply, the breath hitching as he swallowed furiously, fighting the grief that gripped him ice cold in his heart as their conversation went to Caiaphas. “No,” His accented voice was thick, heavy with the emotion he tried to keep at bay. Losing Caiaphas wasn't easy, and putting her aside, having to make Saltwinter his priority over her was not a decision that was easy for him to make. “The Blackwater Islands were empty. Its been a very long time since any wolf had ever stepped foot on them,” And that was very likely because the passage to them was mostly cut off to them by Saltwinter's claim, lest they wanted to swim all that distance from an adjacent shore. The grief choked him for a moment and he looked away from Ondine, into the horizon, clenching his jaw tightly. “It's not a decision I make lightly, or without a heavy heart but we don't have the manpower to spare in extensive hunts for her,” He drew in a deep, heavy breath. “I may be able to send scouts out to neighboring packs to ask if they've maybe seen her but our priority should be preparing for winter. It will be upon us soon,” And they weren't ready. They had a few months yet, but they had their work cut out for them, especially since they were small. “Caiaphas is a survivor. She will find her way back to us, eventually, but I need to look out for you and the others. I need to prioritize the pack. I think she would understand.”

Even as he spoke the words he still felt that crushing guilt. Yet, there was little else he could do. It was apart of being an Alpha: making the tough decisions.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
:OO

Ondine bit her damaged lip as she awaited his reaction. It was no secret that Maude and her did not get along well, but why wasn't even a question Ondine could answer easily. Just the first interaction with the boy pretending to be a woman had been a horrible event- the looks he had given her were indeed that of a jealous 15 year-old. The tiny gears in her head started turning- eventually settling on the idea that Maude had some feelings for Kjalarr. Whether it was love or simply affection, she didn't know, but something about her being with Kjalarr had triggered the rude man. His position as Beta was not a good sign either- for that meant Kjalarr trusted him, and from there they could start a relationship if Kja was into that stuff. It was a gruesome, awful thought...

I am just not sure about Maude's position is all... She said, a little softer as her honest words left her lips. I mean, she is a talented fighter, but not the leader type like you or Caiaphas in my humble opinion. She wanted to know what else Maude offered besides fighting and being nasty. Ondine hadn't seen Maude working as hard to keep her position like she had- and selfishly Ondine thought she deserved some recognition. Is it because there is... something, between you two? She asked carefully as to not offend her alpha. Her ears lowered, afraid she had made it seem like she was the one jealous of Kja hanging out with Maude. Her heart was for Bain only, if he so wanted to claim it.

She was happy here, besides Kjalarr watching the setting sun- it felt good to be a part of Saltwinter. Here no one had judged her- not even Maude. She had been let free to do whatever she so pleased as long as it contributed to the pack as a whole somehow. She felt like she served beings who deserved her respect, time and effort (except for Maude, that was). Still, she was not one that needed to be made to open up- she was an open book as it was. Sure, it was all somewhat hidden under a layer of drama and blood, but anyone who was able to read past that would know what was going on with her.

Worried, bi-colored eyes looked at the scarred male- she almost wanted to shush him and tell him she understood, but found their bond not so strong just yet. With Bain or Slancio she would've done it, but with Kjalarr it was different. The news shocked her regardless of how she felt around him, and her first gently swooping tail stopped moving. She had to blink away some tears when she felt the hopelessness in the air and how they were both reacting to how their siren queen had not yet returned. I...understand. She let out slowly. I'll help in any way I can for us all- I've dried some herbs for Caiaphas for if she returns in winter. I'll soon go out to find some more food too, perhaps we can have a hunt with everyone before the first snow. She rambled slightly, not going into much detail of what she had already done. This was no time to brag about all what she had done- rather make plans for what she would do. 

She really would- Kjalarr. She said with a comforting smile. You've taken great care of both us and her.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
True to his word Kjalarr gave his Gamma his rapt attention when she voiced her concerns — focusing solely on Maude's position as Beta, explaining that the Beta did not strike her as a leader type as she saw Caiaphas. As she saw him. It was a flattering thought as much as it was slightly humorous. All he'd wanted to be was a leader as a child and he'd been willing to tear apart his own family ties to see it happen, if that was what it took. It was a nice thing to hear that in someone else's opinion he was actually good at being a leader. At Ondine's soft and carefully worded question Kjalarr felt his brows rise and then furrow. Had she ...just asked that Maude had been promoted because she thought something was going on between the two of them? A snort of a laugh left the Viking. Oh gods, he had no idea what all he felt for Maude, she was so damn confusing, neither was he sure what the pirate felt for him. Even if he had some feelings for Maude it wasn't as if she'd been the only one. Kjalarr harbored feelings for Caiaphas. There was an ache in his heart that went beyond the grief of losing just a pack mate. “I have no idea what Maude is to me beyond my Beta,” He admitted, accented by the furrowing of his brows though he did not linger upon the confusing thought long. “You might be surprised to hear that for a while we ...I don't know if we hated one another but we didn't get along. We still don't sometimes. It was Caiaphas' suggestion to promote Maude and despite that we were on bad footing with one another I saw no reason to object. She contributes and she's honest. She offers perspectives that I might not see,” Not that he had to offer Ondine any sort of explanation on the matter. “As for Caiaphas' reasons well, they were her own.”

“I want you to know, though, that I will never promote someone based on my relationship with them. If would never promote anyone I took as my mate to Alpha just because I call them mate, or if I have lovers. I don't believe in that. If someone deserves and proves to me that they can be a capable leader that will contribute to the pack and strengthen it then they will have the promotion; and alternatively if a rank is to be challenged I will not stand in the way.” He informed her, taking a moment to assess her. “You never have to worry about that.” Kjalarr assured her.

“Thank you Ondine,” Kjalarr murmured to the woman at his side, offering her a gentle, warm smile that given his grief did not quite touch his eyes. “A hunt is a good idea, hopefully we do not suffer another famine,” One was hard enough and they'd barely survived that one. “or idiots who park their pack on our doorstep.” Because the next time...oh, next time Kjalarr would not show them mercy. Caiaphas was no longer present to reign the Viking back in. “I hope so.” Kjalarr murmured when Ondine made to assure him that he'd taken great care of both the pack and Caiaphas. It still didn't feel like enough — but he accepted that perhaps it would never feel like enough.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
My 100th post! BE HONORED! XD is kidding

If her alpha was indeed interested in Maude, she'd not judge. She could not tell others what they could and couldn't do- whom they could or couldn't love. In her opinion, no one could tell what other must do. Everyone was blessed with a life- and that life they had to shape themselves. Advising one another was different- it was helping, and helping wasn't bad. Sure, it could be foolish to help someone who didn't deserve your precious time, but at least you would feel good for helping that someone out. Her eyes flickered to her paws. She had not helped many herself, but neither had many helped her in her younger years. In Teekon everyone seemed welcoming and different than out of the Wilds she now had grown to love. Here was where she belonged after all, and she would treasure every moment until the day the blessing of life would expire. She looked sideways up to Kjalarr, almost relieved to hear him laugh so purely. She had meant no offense with her thoughts on the beta and alpha's relation, but she could get why it might humor the other in a way.

Ondine's bi-colored eyes grew wider as she heard her siren queen was the one whom had promoted the filth under the name of Maude. She could almost not believe it- her perfect queen promoting what she thought to be just a rude, ruthless pirate. Oh... Was the only thing she could breath out. She did not know what to think now- her instincts told her Maude was the worst, but if Kjalarr and Caiaphas saw something she couldn't... What good was she? She bit her damaged lip again that almost began to bleed straight away- but it was hardly noticeable by sight due the blood already present on her muzzle. Somehow she felt the urge to tell she had been a leader once and that she'd want to try again- but asking for a promotion was never the way to go. Clearly she had not proved herself worthy of a title so high in the hierarchy, and for that she felt bad. She had done all she could, and it hadn't been enough to impress either Caiaphas, Kjalarr or Maude.

Thank you... She said softly in her voice made of liquid silver as the sounds dripped out of her mouth. She tried hard to not spit out any blood, but not everything could go the way she wanted it to. When he was done talking she had nothing more to say- all had been cleared up. She didn't want to end their conversation however- she actually liked hanging out with Kjalarr without Maude there to interrupt. She looked up at him again as he thanked her for her words- or actions, she did not know for sure. His smile, however appreciated and probably hard for the ying without a yang, did not feel right. She knew what was wrong, at least part of it, but she had not expected to have it hit him this hard. Ondine wasn't the only one whom appreciated Caiaphas in a way no one did, apparently... 

She chuckled slightly at his silent, humorous prayers- she had heard some things about problems with other packs before. Yeah, let's hope both the locusts and other packs find a spot far, far away from here. She said, a hint of her chuckle still present in her sentences. A thought popped into her head that moment- one that was both pleasant and not so at the same time. Kjalarr... She wondered out loud. Bain and me- we have grown rather close... Would there be a possibility for us to, y'know... She said awkwardly, seemingly out of the blue.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
ooh congrats! also I AM SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT ON THIS! *slowly tries to catch up with kja*
Kjalarr really didn't know what to say, and had said all he had needed to. His pain at losing Caiaphas was his own and he mourned her in the only way he knew how: eerily similar to the way he'd mourned Whittier. They were not Vikings and this left Kjalarr in a very awkward position unable to process their deaths in the same way that he would process the death of a fellow Viking. Though their conversation about Caiaphas and Maude had concluded organically neither seemed inclined to part from one another's presence yet. Kjalarr did not mind. Knowing his pack mates was apart of his job. And if Ondine wanted to spend time with him he certainly wasn't going to chase her off. She spoke his name, inquiring his attention and Kjalarr's eyes slide back to Ondine where they rested, ears alert atop his skull showing that she had his undivided attention. She spoke of her and Bain and that they were getting close and then asked if there was a possibility for ...something he was supposed to know.

Granted, Kjalarr was not an inexperienced beast but admittedly Ondine's unwillingness to be specific left Kjalarr unable to connect the dots. Did she mean could they become mates? Or could they mate? If it was the second then this conversation just took an extremely awkward turn. “What exactly are you asking me permission for, Ondine?” Kjalarr inquired unwilling to answer until she specified enough for him to form a response.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
A little short- sorry! <3

Her eyes flickered around a bit, nervously awaiting an answer. She had assumed he knew what she had meant, and did not expect the question that left his lips. She looked at him in confusion and light shock. She thought it had been obvious! While she didn't want a family just yet, maybe when the seasons were in her favor, mateship was what she was getting at. His lips moved, but she quickly shut her mouth.

I-I want him as my mate in the future- we're not official yet, sooww.... She stuttered slightly, eyes pointed at her toes again. I don't know why I asked... She followed softly. She guessed her excitement had gotten to her- as if Bain ever could like a face painted red like roses. Sure, the flirted and touched, even kissed on the cheek sometimes, but Ondine doubted Bain had any deep feelings for her.