Cedar Sweep but rye love isn't good love, boys; Did I ever tell you 'bout the time I -
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
All Welcome 
Day wasn't sure how long it'd been since he'd gone to @Steady and said his goodbyes - not his last ones, hopefully. Not by a long shot. But he made sure the other man knew how glad he was to have met him, rough beginnings and all. The whole pack was dear to him, even those that'd only just come. 'Thaia and those kids - Day loved them. There was a lot of love in him, these days.

He only wished there'd been something more he could've said to Adeline. He didn't like leaving her this way - not after the fool he'd made of himself last time. Not after the way he'd hurt her. But it seemed like he didn't have much of a choice; He loved her, but she would never be his in the way that Amber could be, or even in the way that his kids would be. So Day had done his best, and he hoped that it would be enough.

But he had bigger fish to fry - a territory to range. A girl to find, a family to raise, a life to live, a future he'd always hoped for, but had begun to fear would never be.

Doggedly, and without fatigue, Grayday searched for @Amber.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
It'd been mere hours since the shadowy fae left her family, and tears still streamed from her face from time to time. She plodded on wearily, taking each step hesitantly and without her usual flowing grace - all she could think is that she might never again see the only two sisters she knew to be alive. 

For right now, she was headed for the same place she'd met Greyday - taking the long way around, if only because she felt bloated and unstable - but hadn't realized the valley she had to go around was claimed. Sighing heavily, she decided to just keep going through the cedars she was in now - when she came out of them, she had plans to call for Dagfinn. She wasn't totally sure where he lived, but it was somewhere out here.... And Amber just needed someone right now.  

However, she found something even better - or rather, smelled. One she'd idolized and glorified, prayed and hoped would come back to her soon: and he HAD! Guilt, however, was the first thing to flow over her - She'd taken another mate instead of waiting, but would Grey understand?

Rushing forward with renewed vigor, Amber howled out for him - to not might mean he would slip away, no matter how close they now were. Tears now flowed freely, and a sob fell from her lips as she finally caught sight of his pale fur through the trees. Breathing his name, Amber trotted forward and made to press into his chest, already sobbing out apologies before she even touched him or explained what it was she'd done. Her pregnancy was obvious now, if not from the partially hidden and slight baby bump she was aquiring - the fur of her belly had thinned, and the hormones that'd leaked from her a few weeks ago were now flowing freely and announcing her predicament to everyone within scenting range - it was not a smart move to be a loner at this time. 

"Greyday! I-I did some bad things - I'm so sorry. Please, please don't be mad: I'll make it better, I promise! I just want to go back with you."
Gotta be vauge about her leaving the Creek, but she's gonna be a blubbering mess anyways *shrug*
[Image: Z077D80.jpg]
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
His head snapped back almost before he heard the howl. Day knew her voice well enough, though he'd only heard it in close quarters before now. It was a sign, he thought, that all this was meant to be. That it would be alright, and they'd find a place in this world for themselves.

He would reflect, later on, that her voice had already been a little wobbly.

Amber came at him like a rainstorm, blue eyes streaming and soft words dripping like rain from her tongue. Day didn't quite follow, but he reckoned he'd heard enough.

"I gotchya," he said first, because she seemed like she wanted to be got. Had. Day didn't fight her when she came against his chest, and he cleaned away tears with a gentle tongue. So she'd done something bad. Day didn't feel as though he had much room to look down on her, and honestly, there was a lot he was willing to look past at this point. "Don't cry, gorgeous, I'm here. I won't leave without you," he continued, steady voice readily assuaging her fears. He did wonder what could've gotten her into this state, but how bad could it be? Unless it affected his children, would it really come to affect him?
What's Mine is Ours
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
He accepted her much as Amber had accepted Dag that evening, but in the moment she didn't notice this fact. All she knew is that she had done bad things, but Day was holding her close. His words - hell, the sound of his voice - calmed her sobs, but she trembled with the effort of not breaking down. Now was her only chance to make things right, so she thought, and she spilled every last detail on the floor for him to assess - Amber only hoped he didn't leave her then. 

"D-Day, I didn't know if you'd really come back. I was so worried - I sought out a mate just in case, someone to help me care for myself while I took care of the kids. B-But I lied to him, I  twisted my words to let him believe they were his, and I know now it was very, very wrong.... My sister was mad as hell with me, only because of how reckless I was - but she said she'd let me stay and raise my pups. I didn't tell her about you.... I told a friend of mine, and he spilled the beans to her - she wasn't happy, but the next time I saw her was this morning.... I- I left, Grayday. I don't have a pack anymore. I didn't feel right there, I hurt so many people.... I messed up. And I want to do this right - I want to have a proper family with you as my mate, if you'd have me. If your alpha would have us.... I know I don't know you well, but I can't do this alone. I don't want our children to die."

All her worries were finally nice to let loose, not not nice enough to hold back tears anymore - the woman shrunk back into herself, to where she was no longer actually touching Gray, as if she were already afraid he would reject her. Though Amber hoped dearly he would lean with her, pull her closer, tell her it would be okay, that he forgave her.... She didn't even expect him to. 

"G-Grayday, I'm so sorry. I didn't know what else to do and it just got so far out of hand."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Though Day felt he'd heard enough by the third or fourth sentence, he let her go on and spill her heart, anyway. It was better to get it all onto the table at once, and if confession was the way she absolved herself, he wasn't going to deny her. When she was finished, though, Day was quite to refute her words.

"They won't die, Amber," he said at once, deciding that this was the first this he ought to address. "Nobody's gonna hurt you or the kids. We're gonna go home, you and me, to my alpha and my family. He's already said you'll be welcome."

More licks, smoothed over her face and brow and between her ears, were placed to solidify this, his promise. "We're gonna be alright," he continued, thoughts turning now to the mess she's made. Part of him wanted to say forget it and just take her back to Easthollow, but Day knew how hreatbroken he'd've been if he were in the other male's place. Day didn't know a thing about him except that they'd both fallen prey to Amber's charms, but that was enough for the male to commiserate, if only just a little.

"And the other man - we need to tell him the truth," he said delicately, knowing that this probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience for Amber. For him either, but he was getting his prize, which was more than he could say for the other poor sucker. "Where do we find him? Can you call him?" he asked, voice gentle but firm.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Never once did Grayday stop her - the man just let her ramble and cry, smoothing her fur and her worries in the same strokes of his tongue. Once a moment of silence had lapsed, he took over, firstly assuring that their pups would be okay, and that they were welcome in his home. A sigh a relief left Amber - as long as that was settled, she could face anything. Perhaps that was just the confidence he groomed into her, and maybe it was her own rational being coming back to her - but they would be okay.

Next, though, he said they had to find Dag, tell him the truth. He was gentle about it, but Amber gave a firm nod - she would not be so cruel as to leave him without a word, to let him think his mate had taken off with their pups. It was wrong.... Moreso than telling him they were his.

"I don't know the exact place of his pack, but he's close to Silver Creek - he'll hear me by the edge of the sweep, I'm sure."

Nodding back the way he'd come, Amber again sighed - this one much more burdened and sad. She pushed herself up straight on her own paws and took a deep breath before sliding past Day and padding forward. Motioning to her mate with her tail to follow, Amber led the way towards the man who thought she was his, loosing a call for the man a few times as they went. He would come to her call even without the hysteria lacing it, she was sure.
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Dagfinn was exhausted beyond all belief. Hunting and patrolling was tiring enough when done for one pack, but two? Near impossible. Spring had been right, but Dag was still determined to do his part for both packs. The one that'd taken him in, and the one that'd taken his own burdens. He could not bring Amber to live with him at Arthendal, and he could not abandon those who'd been so kind to him, either.

At least, he'd thought that at first. Now, though, he wasn't sure what to think. He couldn't keep this up - only that was certain.

He'd been wandering toward Silver Creek with two fat rabbit clutched in his tired jaw when he heard Amber's summoning howl. Pained and panicked and very far from home. It took all his strength to keep the rabbits between his teeth as he darted off toward the sound. His heart was hammering and his vision fuzzy by the time he reached her, but when he saw the gray stranger that stood near her, his hackles still rose.

"Who are you?" he demanded, barrelling toward the pair and buffeting him away with Amber by sheer size alone. An angry growl was already in his throat; he could not see that Amber was fine, that the stranger had caused her no harm.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day frowned when she admitted that she didn't know where the strange male lived, but he figured he had bigger fish to fry. He'd already known, after all, that Amber was not very discerning when it came to her sexual partners. It shouldn't surprise him that she hadn't known much about her 'mate' either. Day tried not to let it bother him, but he was a little peeved that she'd tried to have some random stranger play father to her children; that she hadn't chosen more dilligently, if it was a choice she felt she had to make.

But these weeks had not been kind to her, either. Day could smell the worry that rolled off of her like it was a part of her. He could see the crusty tears that marred her pretty, dark face. His heart went out to her, and he figured he could forgive her these snap decisions. It couldn't be easy, being pregnant. Better her than him.

A new sense of trepidation grew in him as she called for her lover, voice still harried and uncertain. He tried to groom her as they waited, hoping both to ease her fraying nerves and erase the traces of sorrow he could still see in her eyes. Poor girl, he thought guiltily. He wouldn't be leaving her again.

But before he could repeat the sentiment aloud, a dark mass of fur shot out of the woods and straight at him. He was reminded first of Furiosa, and then of Ezekiel as the black wolf easily pushed him aside. To Day's credit, he wasn't trying to stop him; didn't believe in fighting if there was another option. Despite that, he still growled as the male continued to pursue him even after he stepped away.

"I'm a friend of Amber's," he said firmly, gritting his teeth as he allowed himself to be harrassed. It was not the truth - not the whole truth, at least - but Day would allow Amber to break things to him. It was the way he would've wanted it.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Dagfinn indeed heard her - he came barrelling aggressively towards them, and though common sense told her it was not Amber he was aiming for, instinct kicked in and her hackles raised. Perhaps it was a little bit because of the stance Grayday had in her life, too, but the protection of her children was first - as Dag shoved the paler man away, she lunged for his smoky shoulders, snarling out an answer just before she leapt. 

"The father of my children, Dagfinn! Stand down!"

She did not aim to harm, but only to pin, to unbalance, anything to keep him away from her Day. Another snarl of warning fell from her lips as she moved away, placing herself between the two males - her tail was high, curled over her back and twitching in refined anger - and letting dominance fully claim her features. Panting from even the short burst of energy, Amber's deep eyes sought the paler ones of Dagfinn. She opened her jaws to speak again, but her furrowed brow suddenly fell upon the realization of what she had to do, and they again snapped shut. The next time they parted, her voice was softer and seeping guilt, but they held no hint of uncertainty. Her eyes did not leave his, and her body language did not change - even through the sorrow and guilt weighing in her belly like a stone, she did not waiver in her decision. 

"You are young, Dag - too young to sire children. I was washing off his scent when you found me, and I didn't know if he would come back to me as promised. I did what I had to in order to ensure my children's future, but it was wrong of me to manipulate you so.... And I'm so, so sorry, but I cannot be your mate. "
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Their words reached him, distantly, but if he had not heard them, exhaustion would still have ended the fight before it began. Dagfinn allowed Amber to separate them, his breath coming in uneven gasps as he tried to wrap his head around what they were saying. His vision swam worse than ever, and the young male sank to his haunches, shaking like a leaf.

"N-n-not m-mine?" he asked, reeling. How could they not be his? He'd mounted her, lost himself, and when sensebility'd found him he'd been locked within her. He felt locked, now, trapped by the blue of her gaze and the razor edges to her words. He was not the father, but a stand-in. Young. Too young, she said. Maybe he was.

Blue eyes wandered from the dark beauty before him to the older stranger that'd claimed his family. He stood impassively behind her, but there was something a lot like pity in his eyes. Surges of anger wracked the young male's body, but he did little but shake with them. What use was fighting? What use was anything he did? What use was all his striving, the rabbits he'd left forgotten at the edge of the Sweep? What use was he, that Amber thought to just throw him away?

He wanted to be relieved by this. He was not going to be a father, and there should be a weight lifting off of him - but the heartbreak was too real, too sudden. He was not just being relieved of children, but of her. Amber.

"But..." he protested weakly, gazing searchingly at the woman. "But we are... we mated. Doesn't - don't I mean anything to you?" he asked, eyes begging.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Amber was quick to step between them, and although Grayday's aggression soared when the woman carrying his children came into the line of fire, the younger wolf seemed to recede at once. Her words were a bit harsher than his own, but nothing but the truth. Day admired her for that, for her courage, but the situation was not ideal. He wished they were gone already, but this was a necessary evil.

The male seemed dumbstruck by Amber's words, though his first reaction to them was not aggression, as Day had feared. He watched closely from the sidelines, not willing to turn his attention away from the possible danger, but trying to be unobtrusive as well. They deserved to have privacy in this matter, but, as always, Day had bigger fish to fry. He wasn't going to let Amber out of his sight until they reached the Stone Circle, and even then, he would not be far.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Dag didn't seem to understand, and as she watched him shake and try to, Amber felt her heart crack. She had done this, she was the reason he was hurting right now - she might be doing the right thing now, but she would never forgive herself. 

"N-No, Dag. Not yours - its just not possible."

By now, her words had softened - even her stance fell into one more neutral, but she did not step closer as she so yearned to. His protests hurt more than him not understanding, and the accusation brought her ears falling back. She was not blind to his struggling breath and worn out look - this, too, was her fault. 

"I mated with Grayday, first, Dagfinn, but you mean a great deal to me: you were willing to take care of me at a moments notice, to claim the pups without a second thought and work yourself ragged trying to take care of two packs. You were willing to love and care for a woman you didn't know.... If I'd have done all this right, maybe I could have been the one you needed. Darling, it's just not fair to you.... I need to do the right thing, for myself, for you, and for the children. What else would you suggest I do?"

There was no chance she would let Grayday go now that she'd got him - nothing the younger man could say or do would sway her decision to go to Silvertip with her knight in shining armor. There was no harm in hearing the boy out, though - maybe he actually would come up with a better solution. Be it an excuse to ease her guilt, then fine - anything to make him feel a little better.
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
It was all so sudden, so final. One moment he was a father, a husband, a slave - and now he was nothing. Now Amber was leaving, the pups weren't his. Now Grayday stood behind her while she rambled on about willingness and love. He had nothing to say about the kids. If they weren't his, they weren't his.

But Amber was... she was different. She was real, substantial, within his grasp but slipping through his jaws. He continued to gaze at her, his head already shaking to refute her words.

What else would you suggest I do? she asked, and that was an easy question.

"Stay with me!" he declared, rising, desperate, dumbstruck. How could she even ask that? He'd have her stay, have her love him like he loved her! He'd have her go back in time and erase all conflictions from her history, but the other male was forgotten to him now. That was before, and he was convinced already that he was nothing but sentimentality to her. Dag swallowed his fears and spoke: "I don't care whose kids they are - but I need you, I need you. Please, stay with me."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
A frown deepened the lines of his face as the conversation went on. Dagfinn was distraught and Amber was not far behind. He'd only just managed to find her, calm her down, and she was already being re-frazzle and wrestled from him. Still, he could not bring himself to fault either of them too badly. It was a messy situation, but life was like that. Wolves were instinctual creatures. Imperfect. But in Amber he saw a fierce desire to protect their unborn children and an iron will to live. In Dagfinn, he saw a heart willing to love past what was easy, and a naive longing for the kind of romance that was so storied in youth.

It was a heartbreaking scene, and Grayday sought to end it. End all their troubles.

"Come with us," he said before his pride could sweep the solution away. It was not what he'd wanted from Amber; he believed that mothers and fathers should love each other. But Dagfinn already loved her as Grayday ought've before knocking her up, and it was not in him to end something like that, if he was able to affect it at all. And he could love her, still. Maybe not as he'd hoped, but enough. Well enough to raise a brood with her.

He looked to Amber, then, awaiting her approval or denial, and ready to agree with either one.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Dag's answer reflected her own feelings of surity - he did not hesitate on asking her to stay. His plea broke her heart in two, this time, and she just didn't know what to do. Her mind would not change, but her strength was sapping by the moment - tears again soaked her face, and she could just stand there with her mouth wide open and stuttering for words - but then Grayday suggested something else: that Dagfinn come with them. Surprise lit up her face and she swung her head around to look at him in confusion. Her blue gaze only settled for a second before they were on her paws and she'd found her voice.

"I love both of you, okay? In different ways and for different reasons - but as much as I wish I could have it all, I will not ask you to share, or to just be there. I am going to Grayday's pack.... And he will be my mate, and we will raise our children as a whole family. I-I don't know how you two want to fit into that, but I will not stay in the Hinterlands."

Her eyes closed as she spoke, and each word was meant for both of them - Amber just didn't know what to do. She wouldn't ask them to share for fear of offending Grayday, but nor did she lie - she did love them both, for as little as she knew them. Grayday had wiped away her pain and fulfilled her dreams, but it was Dagfinn who'd been there to help her without a doubt.... Amber had chosen her path - it would be their decision to be with her, to follow and be a part of her family or to not.
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
What?

Dagfinn's eyes flicked between the two, trying to gauge the seriousness of Grayday's statement. It couldn't be true, it didn't make sense! But the man seemed calm enough, was looking to Amber as she spoke.

He tried to pay attention to what she was saying, but inside, he was reeling. Go with them? Both of them? What could the man mean by that? Dag shook his head like a horse bothered by flies, tired of listening to other when it came to decisions about his own life. He decided then that he would go - but not because someone had told him. To see if it could work. To see if he would be happy. To make sure that Amber was at least cared for before he allowed her to abandon him to his fate, whatever it might be.

"Okay," he said dully, eyes dropping to the floor. "I... I'll..." 

He wanted to say something smart; he'd go hunt, patroll, find a den or scout ahead, but nothing came to him. He stood there, cold and tired and uncertain.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Amber's words seemed to be neither for nor against Grayday's plan. That was fine. It seemed like both his companions were a little burned out, and Day didn't feel it was necessary to push either of them into making any big decisions. Maybe it'd been a little rash of him to even suggest Dagfinn accompany them, but the boy had been clearly distraught and it'd seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now, though, he wasn't so sure. Amber seemed nervous about him coming along. He'd have to do something about that sooner or later.

"Why don't we just rest for a second. I traveled a long way to get here, and we'll all need our strength to get back," he said gently, looking mostly at Amber as he spoke but definitely meaning the exhausted young wolf more than his new mate.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber was drained from all the admissions and talks today - she just couldn't take anymore. Dagfinn's reaction didn't do much to help this, but before she could demand a better answer, Day cut in. A loud sigh escaped her lips, and the fattening woman was pleased as pie to lay down at Gray's paws. She didn't know what they would do afterwards, if they would stay or leave right away, but right now it just didn't matter. Gray would take care of her, give Dag his orders.

Reguardless of what the two males decided to do, Amber let her head rest on her paws. Her deep blue eyes closed for a moment, and for the first moment she realized her breathing was more labored than normal. Focusing on making herself calm down, she thought about the days that would come to pass - would Dag really follow them? This, she truly didn't care - she would be thrilled for him to come, but Gray would always be her first choice and that was that. Perhaps it was selfish, cold of her to let him come along anyways, but she really did care for him. He'd been willing to work himself crazy for her, dedicate himself at such a young age. How could she not? It WAS wrong of her to try and keep them both - but in the end, if she was given a decision.... She would chose Grayday. 

Amber just hoped it never came to that.
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Dagfinn wanted very badly to argue with the other male. It was bad enough that he even existed, let alone that he felt comfortable tossing orders his way. Dag was bigger and stronger than him, and he had half a mind to prove it - but he didn't want to upset Amber and, well, he was pretty tired.

Shooting Grayday a sullen look, Dag picked up his rabbits and padded silently to Amber's side, dropping them both before her in a gesture that clearly excluded the other male from the meal. The dark youth then attempted to curl up beside the girl he'd thought was his mate, needed her comforting warmth against him more than anything else. So little was kind, so little was even familiar in this place - but Amber was, and he would keep her as long as she would let him.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
The mood remained tense, but Day's worries eased as the other male did no more than shoot him a dirty look before he went on to ignore him. He could handle that - being ignored. It was better than fighting, which he was piss-poor at despite his skill at hunting. There was something about setting his teeth against another wolf that just didn't sit right with him. He'd do it, he realized, but for little else other than to protect his growing family.

Unobtrusively, Day watched as Dagfinn fetched his kill and offered it to Amber. He hadn't eaten since the day before, but it'd been a good enough meal that begging into this one didn't seem necessary. They'd have enough to eat back at the Stone Circle. (Day wondered, idly, how Steady would take the situation. He'd have to break the news carefully, no doubt.)

Seeing no reason to make small talk, Day settled near to the other two - but on Amber's other side - and began to groom the grit of travel from his fur. It seemed like Amber needed a good grooming herself, but Day would give them both a chance to eat before he tried anything like that.
What's Mine is Ours
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber missed the look Dag shot at her mate, but as she opened his eyes as his approaching steps, her deep ocean orbs did not miss the pointed way he excluded Grayday - the woman was not shy in curling her lip in warning, shooting him a glare that clearly said he would behave, or else. The Ciel didn't reject his touch, allowing him to curl into her shoulder lovingly, for both the warmth and the mere calmness that the gesture provided. Amber offered him a couple of gentle, reassuring licks around his ears.

Selfish.

The word echoed around her mind, bounced off her skull and rattled her skeleton until it was the only thing she could pay attention to - numbly, she turned from her lover and ripped into the organs of the rabbit left for her, eating the best bits first before she would strip the rest from its bones. Hell, she had so little to focus on, she ended up cracking the bones and licking out the marrow - it was not until Day flopped down on her other side did she push the bones away, laying her head down and settling her eyes on him. She spoke to neither of them, and after a few moments, she again closed her eyes - she didn't mean to, but in another minute or two she'd dozed off.
The Laugher
197 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Amber's curled lips brought very little shame to the young male. He was a bit chagrined at being called out on his territorial display, but his pride would have been wounded more seriously by doing nothing at all. Either way, she allowed him to settle beside her and even pressed a few soothing licks to his face. It was good enough - enough to patch his wounded heart for the night. Enough to make him sit still even when Grayday chose a spot just on her other side.

He didn't miss that the male seemed far less concerned with the situation than he did. Dag didn't like that. Didn't trust it. He shot the male another dirty look over Amber's head while she ate, but the pregnant shewolf soon became more of a concern than her alleged mate. She ate with a fervor that worried him, and Dag couldn't help but wonder if she'd been keeping up with her meals at the creek.

By the time she drifted off to sleep, there was little else on his mind. His eyes met Grayday's once more, but this time, he saw only his own worries reflected back.