get lucky
3 Posts
Ooc — Katie
After having spent well over a month traveling on her own, Adelaide was thankful to have found another pack to settle down in. Her journey had gone well, but the female was tired and she longed to have the close proximity of pack mates once more. She’d stumbled across the small band of wolves known as Dragonwatchers the previous night and, after learning a bit about the pack and conversing with the leadership, had been accepted into its ranks.

Her hopes for the future were high. From a very young age she’d been inspired by her parents and other relatives to strive for greatness. There was no telling what was in store for her, but Adelaide wished desperately to create something meaningful with her life. She’d adopted the DeMonte surname after her mother had shared with her the stories of her past, and Addy was in awe of everything her extended family had accomplished, all the obstacles they had overcome. She hoped her DeMonte heritage might help her forge connections in her new home, but of course she had no idea if any of her relatives would be in the area.

Excitement bubbled throughout the she-wolf’s body, resulting in a restless slumber that Adelaide stirred from after only a few short hours. Nervous anticipation encased her heart as she roused herself from the tree she had napped beneath. The sun had only just begun its climb into the pristine bluebird sky, and the morning was alive with promise. Adelaide took a few moments to tidy up her fur before setting forth into the pack lands. Her tail swayed steadily behind her while her emerald gaze roved the unfamiliar terrain.

The scents of her pack mates reached her with ease, and she was easily able to discern that the majority of her peers were female. Idly Adelaide mused over what sort of competition the gender similarity would create. She aspired to obtain a respectable rank someday, as her parents had always encouraged her to do, but she had no desire to step on any toes to accomplish that just yet. Her main concern was forging friendships and creating bonds with the wolves who would hopefully remain her lifelong companions.
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Koontz rose before the sun and started a patrol that she completed by daybreak. Yawning and stretching at her favorite bluff overlooking the springs, she pondered what to do today. She didn't really feel like traveling, so she decided to spend the day close to home. She could hunt and pad the new stockpiles, perhaps, or discuss co-rank ideas with Ariston. Or, her inner voice whispered, you could get to know Adelaide and maybe help her find a den.

Although she always felt a little anxious about spending time one-on-one with her new subordinates, Koontz nodded decisively and lifted her head into the air to capture the new Sigma's scent. When she found it, she followed it into the forest, weaving through the trees and finding a familiar footpath. It eventually led her straight to Adelaide, who appeared to be strolling around the plateau, familiarizing herself with her new surroundings.

Koontz barked to announce her presence, then walked up to and past Adelaide, swiveling around to face her. Her gray head lifted slightly and her tail arched, signaling her status in the pack. She briefly touched noses with the Sigma, a smile touching her lips, before she stepped back. She wanted to sit, yet she maintained her posture for now, waiting until the appropriate moment to relax.

"Nice to see you again, Adelaide," the Beta greeted. Of course, she'd seen her the night before, when she'd accepted her into the Dragonwatchers ranks. "I was hoping I could help you find a den. We all keep our own dens, though there's also a communal den in the very center of the forest if you'd rather just sleep there," Koontz said, hoary tail swaying and pale eyes regarding Adelaide's fair features curiously.
3 Posts
Ooc — Katie
Musings rolled through Adelaide’s mind as she continued her trek across the plateau, her slim form weaving effortlessly between the trees. Her new home was undoubtedly beautiful; the views were spectacular and refreshing, and the snowy female found herself wondering how anyone could ever possibly tire of them. The elevation of the pack lands was new to her and would take some getting used to, but Adelaide was all for making the change.

Her nose wriggled as the scent of another she-wolf grew stronger in the summery air. Pale audits swiveled at the bark that split the serene silence, and Adelaide swung her slender head ‘round to peer in the direction from which it had come. A grin sliced a path across her mouth at the sight of her superior. “Koontz! Good morning,” chirped the Sigma, her tail waving against her haunches. Adelaide responded to her superior’s presence immediately, her body visibly drooping before the higher-ranked woman. She offered a respectful nudge of her nose to the underside of Koontz’ jaw.

Ivory ears tipped toward the greyscale Beta with interest when the suggestion of prospecting dens was offered. Adelaide beamed. “That would be great, thanks,” she replied, her tail wagging in appreciation. “A den of my own could be just what I need to get settled in.” Emerald gaze slipped away from Koontz to regard their surroundings for a moment. “Where do you suggest we start?” she inquired, knowing her companion was bound to be much more familiar with the lands than she was.
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
When Adelaide bumped her snout beneath Koontz's chin, the Beta relaxed her stature, though she remained on all fours now that the two of them were planning to head out directly. The Sigma seemed very chipper, not to mention eager to get underway. Finding her cheery mood infectious, Koontz wagged her tail all the harder and chuffed under her breath.

"We should head northeast, toward the rear of the plateau," the Beta said even as she began to walk in that direction. She paused, glancing over a slim gray shoulder to be sure her snowy companion was in tow before proceeding. "There's lots of little caverns in the foothills there. Unless," she said, pausing even as the thought occurred to her, "you'd prefer a more woodsy backdrop?" She remained still, waiting word from Adelaide regarding her preference, only her pale eyes and the tip of her tail moving.
3 Posts
Ooc — Katie
“The woodsier the better,” quipped the snowy Sigma in response, beaming in the direction of her superior. She pivoted to follow Koontz, tail swaying merrily against her hocks. “What’s a home without a bit of leafy scenery?” A smile stretched the length of Adelaide’s maw. She was thankful the pack lands possessed some forested area. It reminded her of where her parents had chosen to form their pack and live out the rest of their days.

Her gaze swept over the terrain. The morning was quiet and tranquil, and Adelaide found herself wondering how long it would take before the pack lands became more populated. Still, the female was delighted to be amongst the first founding members of the pack. It was an opportunity not many would have the privilege of claiming later on in life.
171 Posts
Ooc —
It seemed Adelaide would prefer trees and bushes for a backdrop in lieu of stone. Although this meant Koontz would have to change her plan entirely, the Beta did not begrudge the Sigma her preference. It would be her home, after all, and at least she'd bothered to establish some sort of criteria before heading out there. They might have wasted a lot of time otherwise, or Adelaide could have ended up with a den she didn't actually like.

"Change of plans: I think we'll just head to the middle of the forest, then, and find you something not far from the communal den." Koontz made sure to say this with a smile, to reassure Adelaide that she didn't hold the change in plans against her. "I know of a few thickets that are ripe for the picking." She resumed walking, heading now toward the plateau's center.

En route, the Beta queried, "After we find you some new digs"—that was one of her siblings' favorite slang terms for a den—"would you like to take a bit of a tour? You should see the sights the plateau has to offer and I need to pick a suitable location for a pack meeting place. We could kill two birds with one stone."