Stavanger Bay I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
All Welcome 
Leaving @Szymon and possibly @Qilaq - if her father could convince her to stay - to watch the pups, Doe headed out on her first excursion since birthing the little furballs. Hind's Grandaughter had finally stablized enough to be left without her care for a few hours, but more than that, Doe needed to stretch her legs.

As she headed toward the nearest cache, the shewolf took note of how flobby her belly had become. Where it had once swelled with children, it was now sunken back into something that almost resembled her usually size. There was a padding of fat that had developed - a combined effort of both the coming winter and motherhood - and her teats were, of course, much more pronounced than they'd been before becoming pregnant. This did not bother the shewolf, but the new motion it added to her gait was something she was having trouble getting used to. She felt much more ungainly than she once had, but the more she walked, the more that feeling was fading.

Heedless of the weight she had put on, Doe set into the cache with a vengence. Szymon had been good about providing her with meals, but it was nice to eat under the open sky once more, even if it was a bit overcast and cloudy. The shewolf peered up at the sky once she'd finished her small meal, thinking that it might, perhaps, rain for a bit before she had to get back. It would not ruin her good mood, but the little shewolf had a mind to hunt before scents became muddled. The caches were not in any danger, but Doe thought to sharpen the skills that might've grown dull as she'd reached the later stages of her pregnancy.

Going to the grassy, shaded border where she found all her warm-blooded meals, Doe set her nose to the ground and noticed some things that were not for eating. Donnelaith had added new names to their ranks since she'd retired to the Stone Den. It was not exactly surprising to Doe; the forest wolves seemed to have a higher turnover rate than even the Depths. Still, the shewolf moved a bit closer to Donnelaith's border, curious about the new members her neighbors had added to their ranks.

I've seen all the demons that you've got.
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She was happy to meander, finding her way into new areas of the coast. Never did the air become any lighter, but as winter crept closer, the young wolf was beginning to find the temperature more bearable. Mercifully, the sun was veiled by misty clouds, keeping her environment cool and even. She relished in the change of pace, lifting her dark nose to the sky, testing the breeze. The air was mostly still, tainted by the smell of salt, but nothing out of the ordinary. A soft smile curved the obsidian line of her lips, brightening her solemn face for just a moment. Then, like the faint breeze, it swiftly vanished as she trotted forward, bushy tail swaying lowly near her hocks.

As each day passed, she seemed to settle more and more into a routine. It seemed that Donnelaith had no seers, an attribute that she had been cautious to share. Since there was no need for her primary role, she stuck to what she truly enjoyed; hunting. A swift creature such as herself had no reason to remain cooped up within the confines of the pack's territory. No, she was in a state of constant craving, restless, filled with anxious need to stretch her long limbs. Even after half a day of rest, the muscles in her legs would begin to feel tight, and her heart would palpate with unnecessary nervousness.

She was born to run.

But before heedlessly heading off, set out for who knew where, she thought it would be rather diligent to do a lap of the borders. Nothing to thorough - she assumed @Deirdre had assigned sentinels for such a duty - but because she was not family, and even more, an outsider, she felt obligated to go the extra mile. She had to prove her worth, for she knew no other way to exist. This would be her home forever, she assumed. Although there was no male ruler, Muses had never known a female wolf to walk freely. To leave was to be exiled.

Not more than a third of the way around from where she had started, an off-scent caught her attention. Her pace slowed, and she warily trailed the scent, her posture low and suspicious. Still a good distance off from what Muses had learned were the official borders was an unknown female. Her scent, strikingly different from the familiar ones around her, indicated that she was from some other pack. The pale wolf flicked her ears in annoyance, frustrated that she could not immediately identify where the stranger was from. Nonetheless, she made her way over, a characteristic smile sprawled across the maw. "Hello there! Haven't seen you around before." She chirped merrily, although momentarily ceased walking and frowned. "Well, I haven't been here long, so I suppose it's only to be expected! I'm Muses. Have you come to visit Donnelaith?" She spoke to the stranger easily, as if addressing an old companion, wide eyed and eager to listen.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Before too long, Doe was met by the very object of her curiosity. Her scent was on the breeze before she came into sight, but when she did, Doe was still somewhat overwhelmed by the long string of words that fell from her mouth. After beind surrounded by only close family for so long, the dusky shewolf was not quite sure what to make of being approached by another.

Still, her gaze was friendly and her countenance pleasing; Doe wagged her tail. The wolf, however unfamiliar, had come from Donnelaith, and Doe knew that no bad wolf ever came from there.

"Hail," she replied, not quite processing all that the other had said, but glad to speak to her all the same. "I was just studying your scent," she commented, pleased that the fates had brought forth the selfsame wolf she'd wondered about. Now that Muses was before her, Doe wasn't sure there was much else to say. Name had been answered, and her scent had said enough about her age that Doe didn't feel the need to ask. Neither did she care where the other wolf had come from, though the answer would probably enthrall her if she bothered to ask.

Doe tried to remember what the other had said, but it was not in her. She'd heard a name and little else.

"I was just taking a walk," she chirped, ears fluttering as she grasped for something else to say. Nothing came to mind.
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
The stranger responded in a succinct, but friendly manner. Muses further felt at ease, relieved that it seemed to be impossible to encounter an enemy around these parts. Surely more aggressive wolves would be an anomaly, she thought, but did not voice such a thing out loud. It would be foolish, and seem paranoid of her, if she suddenly started to babble about wars an enemies. Despite what she had been through, her story was unknown and irrelevant to others. She needed not burden them with her own sorrows.

The yet nameless wolf, after politely greeting her, revealed that she was merely having a stroll, a simple action that did not put Muses on edge. "If you've been studying my scent, then I hope you have found everything you need to know! To have such a sensitive nose is a blessing, truly. I had a sister who could track any creature! I hope one day to master a fraction of her skill." She spoke with tenderness and adoration, unable to stop herself. While the she-wolf did not need to know irrelevant trivia of her past life, she could not allow the memory of her kin to go without praise. As long as she lived, she would never forget them, never cherish the time they had spent together.

"It's a lovely area." The young wolf hummed, as if to agree with something that had been implied (that she surely made up for the purpose of continuing a conversation with herself). "I've never seen lands like these, with a lake so large, and air so heavy!" In her youth she was excitable, and her ignorance was utter bliss. "May I ask which pack you're from, miss?" She queried, canting her head slightly to the left. With baited breath she waited, hoping to find an agreeable companion in the mousy furred wolf.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Doe's ears flickered in something between mirth and nostalgia as Muses spoke of a great lake. Doe turned her head to the side, almost as if to check that the Wickedness was still there. She too could remember when she'd thought the sea to be something so simple as a lake - there had been precious few of those where Doe came from, and to think of so much water, so much useless water all in one place...

Well, it'd been a lot to wrap her head around. It'd seemed so impossible that Doe had sooner thought it to be some hungry beast, eating up the earth with violence that she could not comprehend. She had been more right than she knew.

"It is not a lake," said Doe, and her voice was not unkind, but it held the reverence of a woman speaking of her god. "This water is called the Sea, and we serve her in my pack - Blackrock Depths. You stand before it; we share a border with Donnelaith."
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
"Oh, that's right!" The young female chirped, shaking her head as though she could not believe she had made such a foolish error. "I remember Deirdre had called it that," But she had never known such a thing before, so it seemed harder to remember. "With terribly salty water that I've tasted, but still things thrive within it." She spoke as though enchanted by the endless waters, her pale eyes bright with wonder. When Doe went on to explain how her pack served the sea, she perked her ears, tail raising anxiously. "Is she a goddess?" Her tone was hushed, and she nearly seemed to tremble with anticipation. If there were gods among them, then surely she was in a good place. Already, she felt it was a little bit more like home.

"I am glad to have met my neighbours!" She added sheepishly, offering Doe a smile. The land that bordered the sea was nothing like her home, what her heart longed for, but she thought that she could perhaps make herself happy. "I have never had that honour before. Where I am from, the packs are spread far across the mountain range. I knew only my family, and the rare travelers that we received were either swiftly assimilated or executed." Her tone was frank, as was expected of one recounting idle, daily life.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Muses caught on almost immediately, asking if the Wickedness that they served was a goddess. "She is," said Doe with a happy wag of her tail, though she had always thought, privately, that the Sea was a man. Still, it was easy enough to agree - the sea could not mount of be mounted, so who cared what gender they ascribed it? The Wickedness was beyond such things. "She has given us these shores and a blessing with which we protect them," the shewolf explained, her voice loving and fierce. It was a great comfort to think of how she'd come to these waters. "She asks only that we are loyal, and to show that we are, we send our young to the waters when they come of a certain age. If we have been loyal enough, she will send them back to us. She has already blessed my first child with this gift, and my new brood will receive it soon enough."

Doe listened with a flicker of ears to Muses' homeland. Her own pack had been aligned with several nearby packs, as Blackrock was now, but those from futher out had not been welcome, in most cases. She gave a nod to indicate her understanding.

"Our packs are sisters to each other," she explained, supposing that Muses had not had such alliances in her homeland. "Donnelaith and Blackrock - along with one other - all share this stretch of the coast. We are brethren to one another."

This was not, perhaps, the belief of all wolves in the three packs, but it was the belief of Doe.
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She listened with keen, devout interest, expression studious, as if what the female said made perfect sense - and to Muses, it did. All elements had a corresponding god. Even her father was said to be the god of weather, although since the weather continued to happen long after she had left her home, she supposed that his rule was reserved to their mountain alone. That was fine. A demi-god could only do so much.

A full blooded god, however, could control things so vast that they appeared to be endless. Of course one would oversee the sea. To send children out into the ominous waves did not seem like a terrible fate. "I understand. My father was born of the gods, and we worshiped those gods that looked over our mountain." To survive upon a northern mountain was challenge enough, for there were often grave dangers to face daily. "The mountain always claims those that are unfit to thrive." Then, a rueful smile crossed her lips, but she said no more.

"I have never before lived in such close proximity to another pack, but I think I shall like it here. It reminds me of the hustle and bustle of my former home. There were perhaps as many wolves as three of your packs combined! But we were almost all siblings." She laughed, as though somewhat relieved to be away from the close confines and family drama.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
She reminds me of Rapunzel from Tangled <3
Doe's ears perked as she spoke of the gods of her mountain, and of her father being born of them. Doe did not know what this meant, but decided that it must be that her father had been especially blessed - specifically with children. Her tail wagged furiously as she came to realize this, as there was nothing more sacred in her homeland than to be blessed with a fertile womb or virile testicles. Luckily for Doe, she and Szymon seemed to be blessed especially well in that regard.

"May you be as fertile as him," replied the shewolf with a dip of her head. "My mother had small litters, so there was only me and my brother, when we were born - but I was to be bred by our alpha, who was blessed with many children. His mate, though - our alpha - was cursed to only bear him sons."

Doe smiled wistfully.

"I was to bear him daughters, but when I saw that his mate was saddened by this, I left the pack and came here - and now I have borne daughters for another, and a son as well," she explained, not really knowing why she was sharing this. Her head tilted to one side as she regarded the other shewolf. "Why did you leave? Do you miss it? I miss my desert, sometimes."
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
wah that is so sweet ;3; thank you!

At Doe's wishes, she blushed deeply, looking down at her front toes. "I am honored for your blessing." She finally managed to mumble, her tongue feeling thick and dry in her mouth. "But my father is no longer here to choose my mate, so I assume I will remain a solitary wolf." Although more accepting than she was resigned, she still looked away, thoroughly embarrassed. Furthermore, she could not bear to admit that she had dozens of siblings - eleven full sisters from her mother alone! It wouls be unfair to mention it now.

Her shyness nearly turned to horror as Doe went on to describe how she had left and found another mate. "You were allowed to leave?" She gasped in shock, before correcting herself and returning her expression to something more neutral. In hindsight, Muses had not sought permission to leave her family behind.

"Well, there was an attack on my family, a war between brothers, really. I've never learned to fight, aside from playing with my sisters, so I would have either gotten in the way or have been swiftly killed." She shrugged, glossing over most of the details. "I miss my home terribly, but I cannot ever go back." That was, if there was anything left to return to.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Doe nodded when the other spoke of her fate - to have no mate chosen for you was a terrible thing. Doe's had been assigned to her almost since her birth, and once she'd come to Blackrock, she'd had the authority to take her own mate. Muses, however, did not seem to have attained that title yet. It couldn't be helped. Still, Doe looked on the other with a calculating eye. If Skellige and Deirdre permitted it, perhaps Muses could be given to Szymon and herself.

The errant thought was swept quickly away when Muses expressed her surprise at Doe's leaving her pack. Her ears flickered in thought - she did not know if they would have stopped her, if they'd known she would not come back from her walk that day. Doe suspected that they'd sent wolves after her as well, but only to help her if she should need it. Being Riverbone's concubine had been a fate she'd happily resigned herself to. None would have expected her to run away, except Mirage, perhaps.

Doe wondered if she was grateful, or if she now wished she'd embraced her fate as much as Doe had, for she was sure the woman had missed Doe as terribly as Doe had missed her those first few months. It mattered very little, now.

"Perhaps you can learn to love the forest as much as I have learned to love the bay," Doe replied, moving to give the other a comforting nuzzle.
106 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She slipped easily back into a word of daydreams, where she was once again on her beloved mountain, once again wth her littermates, as it should have been. Since their deaths, she felt like a part of her had been ripped out. It drove her to try and fill that void; to try, with all her might, to become a better wolf. She would do whatever it took, because the memories of her sisters compelled her.

It was only when Doe's sweet voice flowed back into her vision that she snapped out of her reverie. Her eyes widened only slightly, but she otherwise responded without delay. A smile, bright and warm, curved the dark lines if her mouth, illuminatung her pale eyes. "Thank you." She accepted the well wishes graciously, leaning into the touch of the other, returning the gesture witout hesitation.

"I aready know that I love the ancient trees; ever since my arrival, I have been able to fill my lungs with air more deeply than I ever could before." Used to breathing the thin air ofof higher altitudes, her body was able to thrive at sea level. "I love how the land is flat and there are wide open spaces beyond Donnelaith. Now I can run freely, without worry!" She laughed and pranced a little where she stood, drawing away from Doe's touch. It was not hard for her to find beauty in just about anything. "It will take some time to come to know Donnelaith as I had my former home. There are different plants and prey, different weather patterns, and the sea as well! But I am so eager to learn." She wanted to know everything.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Doe wagged her tail as the other spoke. The words were lost on her - she was no longer really listening - but the happiness in them was enough to keep her happy with the other's presence. Doe liked happy wolves because she liked to be happy. Sad wolves made her sad, but happy wolves were always good company.

"I'm glad!" she exclaimed when the other had finished speaking - it was more a stand-alone statement than an answer to the other's thoughts, but there was no helping that. "Well, I should get back to my pups - they've only just been born, and this is my first time being away," she explained, regretful. She wanted to stay and maybe even begin a game with the friendly shewolf, but who knew what horrors Papa Szymon was inflicting on their young? She really had to be on her way.