Northstar Vale tuesday, the seventeenth, bright lights and camaraderie
i will pry his bony fingers free
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
AW - pack prompt!

snow. it was indra's first winter, and thus, first interaction with the white cold. she was already intimate with the cold, and how it curled her paws and stung her lungs -- but the crisp whiteness that blanketed the territory and gave it an unfamiliar mystique captivated her. she didn't love it; she wanted to roll in it, and play in it, but without laurel, she didn't want to play at all.

instead she settled into the powder and dug her elbows deep into the depths, snuffling her nose into the snow with deep breaths that sent the powdery substance into a flurry. she watched silently and sullenly as the glittering crystals settled, but moved no more.
now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
pretty prince of parties
19 Posts
Ooc — Paige
Jax hated the snow. It was cold, it was wet, it was cold, it was slippery, and worst of all, it was cold; his unusually short coat didn't help the matter. Grumbling various obscenities, he trudged through the satan's dandruff, not ready for yet another season of dealing with this. Looking for some poor, unsuspecting individual to take his mind off the chill in his paws, he spotted the younger female, not looking overjoyed herself. Indy, or something, Saena's kid; he'd only been apart of this pack for a few days now, and names were still slow to stick in his brain.

"Hiya. You look bored, guess what, me too!" He flopped down in front of her, attempting to rest his chin on the snow, but moving his head to rest upon his forepaws when feeling the cold bite of the ground. "When I get bored, I explode, literally, kaboom, dead."
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
she tried her best to remain still, though about her the evidence of her body's involuntary movements caused the light snow to quake and resettle. she watched as her breath minted the air and iced in sharp crystals about her nose and paws, and wondered how snow was created -- and how her breath was turning to ice on her paws.

her scholar-like thoughts were lost as a wolf approached her, quite boldly at that. she recognized him by name, and had seen him when he was first accepted into duskvale, but it was there her knowledge of him ended. she lifted her muzzle slightly and a beard of snow clung to the bottom of her chin as she did so.

he was not like another wolf she had met; he had two different colored eyes and was the coldest, most austere form of grey. she was transfixed by the uneveness of his gaze, but was not unnerved -- as he plopped down next to her, her tail beat limply in the snow. she was unsure, but he seemed so very gregarious -- and his eyes were of great interest to her. "explode?" she repeated quietly, her head tilting as a dubious expression overcame her features.
pretty prince of parties
19 Posts
Ooc — Paige
Now that he was within spitting distance, he could get a better look at her. She was a pretty little thing, though from what he could tell, the personality she possessed was colder than the warm reds of her coat. Not mean, but the alpha's daughter seemed distant, as he had noticed on his more lazy days of watching the group interact from a distance. Even now she was quiet, but the wag of her tail and genuine curiosity gave him a mild surprised; he had expected her to be more annoyed than intrigued. 

"Explode. Lit-er-al-ly. You know mountains? My old man saw one explode. Killed just about everyone, dead, gone, kaboom. Any of these mountains around us could explode, or I could, anyone could really."

He lifted his nose to the air and sampled it; after smelling nothing of interested, he returned his gaze to the younger wolf. "You're Indy? Doesn't matter, you're grandpa, got a little white on your chin there."
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
jax was so strange to indra -- but strange in a good way. she liked how ebullient he was, how outrageous and semi-manic his words seemed. it didn't matter that she hadn't ever seen a mountain explode, or whether or not she could possibly envision it -- he spoke it with such steadfast conviction it was simple: it was truth.

all the same, the idea of a mountain blowing up drew awe and amazement from the child, who still carried an expression of stupefaction on her face. she was about to ask how the mountain exploded or how jax's grandfather survived the explosion when he mentioned the scarf of white that wretched her chin. she blinked and crossed her eyes, trying to see the tip of her nose in vain. "i'm not grandpa!" she insisted, quickly bucking her chin with her wrist to rid herself of the powder. "how do you explode?"
pretty prince of parties
19 Posts
Ooc — Paige
At her question, Jax leapt to his paws and instantly began piling up snow with his nose, until it made a small lump. He gave her time to admire his art, then smacked it hard enough with his paw to send the snow flying, uttering an insincere "oops" as he hit the snow straight towards her face, hopefully replacing the white she had just removed.

"One second there, next second gone. Except getting smacked in the face with snow, you get smacked in the face with hot, deadly mud. That's explode, grandpa.He drug out the last word annoyingly, then trotted in a circle around her, tired of not moving. "What do the kids these days like to do? Let's do that. Still bored, still could explode."
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
she didn't expect him to shoot up, and when he did she flinched, half expecting the explosion to happen. instead he started piling snow on the ground -- she watched, but did not contribute.

she never could have expected him to slap the snow, and when he did it sent a small volley her way. she bounced back not unlike a cat, her tail whiplike and whirling around her body in a 'wtf dude' gesture. "hey!" she yelped hotly, but her jaws closed as he trotted a circle around her. indra wouldn't be able to keep up with someone as delightfully charged as him for very long, but for now she was so intrigued she had to try. "um.." she stalled, not really sure what kids did. she and laurel played, but that was it -- and no adult ever wanted to play with her. "oh! i usually howl for laurel at night.. i can show you where?"
pretty prince of parties
19 Posts
Ooc — Paige
Her reaction sent a pleased grin to spread across his face. He had been alone for a very long time, at least since the previous winter, and he had forgotten how much fun other wolves could be to interact with. Singing to the woodland creatures was only entertaining for so long. 

"I don't know what a Laurel is, but show me, I have a particularly enchanting voice." By now he was doing figure eights in the snow, a small path starting to form as the repeated the motion over and over. He was well past rested from climbing the ridge to get here, and his energy was at a high. He didn't stop his stereotypical trotting as he waited for an answer, more than aware that he was getting the tiniest bit dizzy.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra leaned back a little as he pranced around her, his tracks cutting cleanly into the crisp snow. she needed no second bidding -- with the cold nipping her heels she set at a steady clip towards the northernmost reach of the territory; it would take them about twenty minutes to reach the promontory, but her steps grew purposeful with each foot they covered.

if she was quick, jax was faster -- she tried gamely to match his pace but inevitably failed. "a laurel is my sister." she articulated, her voice serious and amber eyes wide with solemnity. "i miss her but mom isn't fully healed yet to get her." indra's long ears collapsed slightly as she recalled the reason for their separation. shame speared through her suddenly. "anyway i call to her every night! i hope she will hear me someday."