Blackfeather Woods Am I still your daughter?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
For @Kove but anyone welcome to greet her!

Valette made it over the mountains and knew Black Feather was close by, the home of her father. The female promised her brother they would go together, and see her new baby siblings or at least show interest in them. However now she was so close it felt silly not to stop there. She didn't want to be mad at her father, and now she realized how great her bond with her brother could be if she wasn't so stubborn. Perhaps she could have better bond with her father too.

The stench of swamps put her off, badly. But she continued to get closer, following Otter Creek, it helped to be close to fresh water. The dark colored female inched closer, growing a bit more hesitant. However she was determined to go. She was not a wuss or as timid as her mother. When she was close to the border she howled for her father Kove. Perhaps he wasn't home and she could continue her path more quickly. Though with new pups he might have stayed around this time...
valar morghulis
319 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Warrior
The call for Kove had caught Atshen’s attention. He had not found much that had kept his attention that day, his siblings had been rather boring and nothing was happening in the woods, and so he seized the opportunity and headed towards the with a glint of mischief in his molten eyes.

Unaware of just who was at the borders, the Spiderling slipped from the shadows and into view as his gaze landed on the older wolf. He did not speak and, instead, found himself staring with a look of expectancy, as if commanding the dark-pelted woman to speak up first and tell him of her intentions.

Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The innermost reaches of the territory had held the man’s attention that day, insisting that he stay near to them rather than loitering around the outskirts. As it was the will of the woods, he’d obeyed, following the peculiar feeling that had arisen within his stomach. He’d busied himself with simple tasks—many of which were of little importance—and kept his mind occupied, having turned and began trekking along his usual trails only after having heard a howl. The voice had been familiar to him, but only vaguely so at first; it’d taken a moment for the time spent apart to be worn away before he’d realized to whom the voice belonged. In spite of the sour aftertaste left behind by their previous meeting, his pace had been increased so that he’d reach the borders quicker, where he’d found then both his daughter and his son—one of his younger sons, that is.

Having heard no words exchanged between the two, he’d not hesitated before drawing closer, having looked first towards the boy and then Desna. And for as long as he’d thought about what he might say, he’d only managed to utter, “Desna,” before having fallen silent once more. He could no better read her now than when she was but a whelp, and so he’d glanced towards the youngest of the trio once more. “Atshen, say hello to your sister,” the Inuk had said, slowly reacquiring his voice. It was not long after that he’d directed his attention back towards their guest, asking, “How are you?” as he’d done so. Although they’d had a dispute in the past, he still cared for her just as much as any father would his child.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette looked surprised when a dark pup came from the shadows. She stepped a bit back, not wanting to offend anyone by being so close to their young. She was not really sure what she could expect today. However she did not respond the commanding look of the pup. She wanted her father to speak with not this... youngster.

Though now she came to think of it, this might be her half-sibling. The one she didn't really care about. This one did look a bit older than Keoni. Then her father appeared. He looked just like she remembered. She did have to blink at the name, because Desna hasn't been used for a long time. Valette was not sure if telling about her name change was a good idea.

"Hi Atshen," she greeted. Her eyes fell to the pup and then moved back to her father. "I'm good," she spoke. "How are you?," she asked almost a bit awkwardly. She decided that she probably had to explain why she was even here. "I ran into Xan. He will kind of be my new neighbor. We are... well. We are doing better on the sibling bond and all that. He told me that we had new siblings," she explained. Pausing again for a moment. "I'm almost a Master Ranger, and when I came past here I decided to come say hi."

She felt kind of stupid now and battered her eyes away with a frown. It was really hard on her to see that Kove did stay around to be a father for these pups but not her own. She pushed that thought away, because often those thoughts would get her in trouble. "I've become somewhat of a mother too, recently," she blurted out.
valar morghulis
319 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Warrior
He felt his anger shift at the lack of the other’s response and to this, he pinned his ears forward and deepened his frown. Perhaps she hadn’t gotten his message and perhaps she was just as dimwitted as his other siblings. Though he did not have such time to express his frustrations, despite the fact that such emotions swelled within the pit of his, and just in time his father joined before Atshen’s anger was pushed any further. He looked to his pale-haired parent with the same expression that he had given Valette-- though the expression was fueled with different expectations.

The two began to exchange words and his gaze followed whoever spoke. Soon enough, he was instructed to to say hello to his sibling. His stare blanked and he looked to the moss-eyed female before returning his gaze back to his father, mildly confused on the matter.

“That’s not my sibling,” he informed his father, his voice emotionless in this passive declaration.

Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
SORRY, THIS GOT A LIL BIT LONG

As she spoke, Kove took note of her responses, both verbally and physically. He’d quirked a brow when it seemed as if she had lacked surprise whilst meeting Atshen, ready to ask questions but refusing to do so. It’d been a long while since he’d last seen her, and he didn’t want to ruin the meeting by interrogating her. Rather, he’d focused on what she was saying, as well as how his inquiry had been answered. Then when it’d been turned back on him, he’d smiled, welcoming the question even if it had likely been asked out of habit alone. “I’m good, too,” had been his response, just as simple as her own. It wasn’t entirely true, however, but he’d decided against weighing her down with his troubles. Had he been there to raise her, perhaps he might have felt more comfortable doing so, but given the circumstances surrounding their relationship he didn’t bother. It would not have been fair to her, he’d told himself, and so he’d fallen quiet after that.

His lips parted, a question on his tongue, but he’d silenced himself as Desna had begun speaking. So many words had been spoken, and, within them, he’d found his answer—she had met with Xan, who had told her of their younger siblings. It made sense, as well as made him curious. If they were to be something close to neighbours, then that meant she knew where he was living. He’d considered asking her about the boy’s whereabouts but had decided against it in favour of keeping her life as the topic. It’d been nice to hear that the two were getting along, as well as about Desna as an individual. He’d practically beamed when she’d mentioned her trade, unable to feel anything but pride, despite all that had happened between them in the past. “I’m glad you two are getting along okay, and that you came to visit,” he began, his younger son momentarily forgotten. Continuing, the Inuk said, “When you were younger, I never would have thought that you’d become a Ranger. But I’m proud of your accomplishments—I’m sure your mom would be, too.” There’d been a brief pause in his words as he’d considered bringing Scarlett up, recalling how badly things had gone the last time they’d spoken. With the words having spilled from his lips already, however, he’d prepared himself to own up to whatever might be thrown at him, should there be anything at all.

The suddenness of her next statement had taken him by surprise, leaving him to blink at her once or twice as the words were processed. Never had he imagined any of his children becoming parents themselves, mainly because he couldn’t think of anyone being good enough for his daughters, and then Xan’s personality was known for keeping everyone away. “Somewhat?” he’d questioned, curious about what she could have meant by using such wording. “How many?” A part of him didn’t want to believe that he could possibly be old enough to be a grandfather, and so he’d tried to hold off from thinking that way until he had more details. By then, though, the shock had faded and been replaced by the smile he’d previously worn. Whilst he wanted more answers before getting worked up, he couldn’t help but feel a sliver of excitement already. Not only was his youngest daughter—Astrid had easily been forgotten—raising children, but she’d felt as if she could share that sort of information with him. It pleased him greatly, but also made him yearn for a life that he could never again have.

Atshen’s voice drew in his attention, and so he’d glanced at the boy. Though reading children had always been difficult for him, the confusion scrawled across the child’s face had been obvious enough that a blind man could have seen it. Nodding, he’d said, “She is your sibling.” After that, he’d paused, thinking over how he might best explain their relation. After some careful consideration, he’d decided to just dive right into it, and then go back and explain further should it be necessary. “Before I was with your mother, I had loved another woman,” explained the man. “She and I had children together—your older siblings. Desna is one of them, and then there’s your brother Alexander, and sisters Sesi and Nanook. She’s your sister.” As he finished, he’d looked back towards Desna, wondering if she had anything else to add.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Somehow I almost expect it from you, haha!

Kove responded to her that he was well and in a way she was glad. She didn't want to lose another parent just as she was ready to perhaps embrace him more. She could forgive, but not forget. It was important to remember that. Her father continued. "I'm glad too. Before we would always fight about well, you two. Once we decided that Mom and you were always the topic of our conversation and we kept fighting over it, we stopped. It was not healthy," she explained.

She would still pick her mother's side no matter what. Though to her surprise her father was very supportive of her trade and even gave her a compliment. The female looked surprised but it was followed by a pleased smile. "I hope she is. She is in a better place now," Valette assured. Her mother wasn't very healthy the last weeks of her life. It was better this way. "I'm glad you are proud of me though. I also worked my way up to be the Beta of my pack. I also scouted the new lands we currently live!" Perhaps she was boasting but he wanted her father to know. He had been out of the loop for a long time.

Valette was asked about her motherhood after she mentioned it. Perhaps a bit of a sly trick to mention it the ways he did, but now she could also indirectly see if Kove had any information about the murder that happened. "There are two. A female that sought shelter with us had three pups. Soon after she joined she was murdered on our borders. One of the pups is no where to be found, leaving two. They were just moving on solids and were very young. My alpha took them in as his own, and seeing I am the Beta I just kind of became their mother," she explained and looked at Kove with a lingering expression. "Her name was Althaia."

Valette was not upset when the pup told her that she wasn't his sister. Frankly she didn't see him as her little brother either, but she was not going to say that in front of her father. He might be upset by that. The darker female listened to Kove explaining. "Yes, that is right," she just confirmed. "I'm Va--- Desna," she introduced.
valar morghulis
319 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Warrior
I wish Atshen would have reacted better! Feel dree to skip me from here on out!

Despite the drama that filled the other’s story, Atshen still found himself uninterested in the exchange. Staring dull at the presence that he had deemed to be unwanted. He did not care for her, nor did he want to associate with anybody beyond Blackfeather woods.

When his father’s explanation did come, his brows furrowed and he turned his full attention onto the Conjurer. The news of Kove having a love before his mother was unsettling, to say the least, and when the pale wolf words were done, he turned from the pale wolf to the dark stranger and frowned. Without another word, Atshen turned heel away from the both of them and return to the woods, his mind troubled by what had been said.

Surely Kove wasn’t telling the truth. There couldn’t have been a time where he did not love Mother and there surely couldn’t have been others out there related. Perhaps, he concluded, this was all just a bad dream.

Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The closeness of his children was something that he’d always secretly hoped to someday see, even if his external display of hope had dwindled long ago. Although it bothered him to know that he had been partially to blame for the wedge driven between his children, he’d tried not to think about it too much. It was nothing but a past issue now, given that they’d found a way to get passed that enough to speak. And, in his own way, he’d gotten passed the issue, too. Whilst he still resented the fact that Scarlett had taken his daughters from him, had kept him from watching them grow up, he’d realized that he’d needed to let it go. She was gone now, and hating her for a choice she’d made whilst alive would only push his daughter farther and farther away from him. So, for her, he’d tried to looked passed it all, and had at last started to heal properly.

Desna shared more of her achievements, each of which made the Inuk’s smile widen. “You’ve done a lot,” he’d commented, happy for her and the fact that she’d felt comfortable enough to share everything with him. Whether or not she’d been boasting, he hadn’t noticed, but it wouldn’t have mattered either way; he’d rather her brag about her accomplishments than feel as if she couldn’t tell him about them. “Your pack’s lucky to have you,” the man added, and he meant it. There would always be a large piece of him that wanted her to stay within the woods and live alongside him, but he’d started to accept that that would never happen. And instead of getting angry over what he could not have, he allowed for himself to feel happy for her and what she’d obtained for herself. A home, followers, and even a family—the latter was something he would need to work towards getting used to, but, for the sake of mending what he’d already broken several times in the past, he would try.

As her motherhood was talked about, he’d listened. Two children for her to look after and care for, having been left behind by a refugee. The name had made his expression harden and he’d shaken his head, cursing under his breath. “Nemesis’ sister,” he’d said, though he’d not been asked. The girl had fled from the woods with her children in tow, but to think that she’d been killed for doing so bothered him. Had she not been a mother, he wouldn’t have cared, but the fact that children had been left behind because of her death disturbed him. “I’m sure you’ll raise them right,” was all he’d said then. The reason for the mother’s death was not something that he wished to get into, disinterested in taking their conversation down a dark road. The news was, however, stored away within his mind, for it’d opened his eyes up to the truth of his wife and just how awful she could be; surely, being in her position, the fact that her sister had been killed would not have slipped passed her ears.

The information regarding the man’s previous life had not, it seemed, sat well with his son. He’d watched the child turn and take his leave, frowning all the while, but hadn’t bothered with calling out to him. Rather, he’d refocused his attention on Desna and said, “He’s not right, but I’m sure he’ll come around eventually.” He hoped so, anyways.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Aww!! I think this thread is so great for them both! :D

Valette was glad that her father was doing better. He seemed less bitter and more supporting. It was a side she was not known to see from him. Valette really liked it. She took his praise and decided to stop boasting. There was another matter that was curious to her because Kove gave her new information she didn't even know that was possible. Nemesis as in, his mate? She wasn't sure though. "Nemesis as in your new wife?," she asked to be sure.

Valette let out a soft whine, not because she didn't want to care for Nemesis' family. She didn't see them that way and weren't raised as dark as the brotherhood. But she was afraid that they would take them away from her. "Please don't let her take them," she let out, clearly not wanting to lose those babies. Keoni just called her mama and she couldn't bare for them to be ripped away. "I shouldn't have said anything," she spoke with regret in her tone. If Nemesis was cruel enough to murder her sister, at least that is what Valette assumed Althaia had been running from, then she might be cruel enough to murder or kidnap children.

She then realized the words Kove said. "You really think that?," she asked. "It is still all new to me but I like it. I don't want them to be taken from me. They know me as their mother now," she explained, quite desperately so. The ordeal with her brother didn't bother her as much. "It is alright," she assured. Frankly she didn't even know what to think of her little brother herself.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
[table][tr][td valign=center] [/td][td]
Questioned about exactly who Nemesis was, the man nodded, though hesitantly so. They had been wed and even produced a litter of children together, and yet, he could not speak of her with enthusiasm in either his voice or expression. “Yes, my new wife,” he confirmed then verbally, with nothing else following. He could think only of Atshen and his behavior after that, blaming the woman’s mentality for their son’s entire personality. This, however, he did not state aloud. Instead, the Inuk simply shook his head and focused on the next topic, content with leaving the rest of his thoughts behind for the time being.

With his eyebrows knitted, he looked at her with a mixture of concern and worry when a whine was heard. It was obvious that her flesh had not been torn in any way, which led him to wonder what exactly had happened. As soon as she spoke, however, all was revealed and he let out a breath. “You don’t have to worry about that,” he assured her. “She won’t take them, I promise. And if she tries, I’ll bring them right back. They don’t belong here.” Whilst the blood coursing through their veins was shared with Nemesis, they would be nothing like her, he felt. Althaia had been nearly the complete opposite of her sister, and he hoped that her children would end up being just the same. If ever they found their ways to the woods, whether it be on their own or by the force of another, he’d ensure that they were returned to where they belonged. For though his loyalties lied with Blackfeather, he could not hurt a member of his family—especially not his own child—in order to satisfy them.

Looking at her, and hearing of how she had taken in children that were not her own, reminded the man of Scarlett. A pang of guilt, and perhaps even sorrow, struck him as he thought of her and how he had behaved, of how badly he’d spoken after her passing, but he tried not to wallow in it. Rather, he nodded once more, a smile then gracing his features. “You remind me of your mother,” he noted, then continued with, “So I’m sure you’ll get the hang of being a parent in no time. You’ll be a natural.” Just as the albino vision herself had been.
[/td][td valign=center] [/td][/tr][/table]
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette noticed that there wasn't coming much from Kove about this new mate of his. It was something that she didn't want to elaborate on, perhaps Kove realized this and was that why he didn't continue talking about her. Valette honestly didn't mind it. She rather wanted to forget that her dad had a new woman now. She didn't care for much of her younger siblings either.

Valette looked up with a big of relief when her father assured her that Keoni and Nikai wouldn't be taken away. He would make sure of that. She nodded, after all she agreed they didn't belong. Valette was quite keen on having both of them stay and perhaps be older siblings for her own young one day. Then again she would carry pups for Steady if he would ask that from her. That was how loyal she was. "I'm glad. Thank you. That is all I could wish for."

Kove was truly nice today, as he continued to compliment her. Valette took it as a compliment she was like her mother. She felt like it was because she started over the pups. "Thank you, Dad," she spoke then, it came out more naturally than she expected. "I'm a bit like you too though. I am not always as kind as she is. I know you can't always be kind. But I feel like that isn't what you were referring to." Valette smiled at him, realizing that she could continue on her travels.

"Why don't you drop by sometime. We live at Stone Circle, next to Bearclaw Valley. I am sure you can find it. I would love for you to meet my alpha Steady and to just see where I live." It felt like a big thing she would invite him. She was slowly coming to terms with their parents' separation. "Now I do need to continue on my travels to the Hinterlands."
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
[table][tr][td valign=center] [/td][td]
There was no better place than with his daughter that he could think of for the children to grow. With her, they were safe, and far more likely to reach adulthood than if they were to be brought into the woods. Perhaps, if ever questioned about it, he would tell Nemesis that the children had perished. Childbirth was a stressful matter, after all, both for the mother and her unborn children. It did not seem too far-fetched that the whelps could have died prior to taking their first breaths. Yes, he decided, that was the story that he would tell, should Atshen share with his mother the news of Desna’s visit; he knew not if the woman was aware of his daughter’s home, but saved the thought anyways, just in case it might someday be needed.

Hearing her refer to him as dad made the Inuk smile, genuinely glad to learn that he could still wear that title. He was aware of his absence and, though there was little he could have done to have changed everything, knew that it had surely burned bridges between him and his daughters. Not entirely, it seemed, but it would take some time before everything could be rebuilt. Time, however, was something that he wanted to believe he had plenty of. “It would be nice if you could always be kind,” he commented. “But you’re right, you can’t always be. Never let someone walk all over you, okay? Don’t let them treat you any less than what you deserve.” He wished, then, that he could go back in time to keep himself from turning into a hypocrite. He had been cruel to Scarlett, that he had finally realized, but could not make it up to her. All he could do was be there for their children now, to make sure that they were always safe and never put down.

Directions to her home were given, which Kove was, in all honesty, rather surprised by. Happy, too, but primarily surprised. No matter, he nodded and said, “I’ll make sure to visit as soon as I can.” He was curious, both to see her home and the life that she led. There was also something that he wanted to ask her, a request of sorts, but chose to save it until his visit. “Be careful, Desna,” he told her, knowing nothing of the Hinterlands or what sorts of beings lived there. “Good luck with your travels.” With that, he saw her off, following after her until she’d cleared the woods. After making sure that she didn’t turn around, Kove returned to the forest, feeling better than he had in a long time.
[/td][td valign=center] [/td][/tr][/table]