The Sentinels what if the storm ends, and i don't see you
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
In her dream, a beast of flame and shadow rose from the ocean. His bones were made of stone, his eyes of embers. He set upon Donnelaith with teeth made of sharp rock and a tongue like the violent swell of the waves. What he did not consume he left burning, and what did not burn drowned.

Starbuck woke to the first scent of smoke, and to Deirdre's cry on the wind. The fire had yet to reach her den, but it was coming quickly, and she could hear the thunderous cracking of falling trees. Her animal heart wished to flee the woods for the safety of water, but her altruistic soul drove her into the fire, searching for those she who needed help. As she ran she called out, an animal yipping to wake those who she could.

Soon the smoke and overbearing heat choked her, and her voice quieted and her breathing became labored. Branches fell around her. The ground was a muddy slush. Scent failed her all but once, when the horrid scent of burning fur and flesh came to her. The fear that curled within her turned to terror, and she nearly fled. She would have, if not for the blackened wretch she found, half-buried in flaming earth.

Starbuck did not think, for thought would stall her. She thrust her nose into the burning earth and grasped the form by its neck, hauling it free from its tomb even as the flames licked her face and burned her muzzle. As soon as her grip was strong and the wretch was free (and oh, it was a wolf! it was a child!) she began to haul it back the way she had come.

Breathing became yet more difficult, and Starbuck's thoughts fled to adrenal nothingness. She ran, eyes streaming in the smoke, until the ground was even and open and her burned and heated paws found half-frozen water. There she dropped the child and coughed until breathing was easier. Then she drank the cold, cold water until she began to cough again. When her breathing returned yet again, she lifted her nose to the sky and howled and howled in her now-rough voice until she could do so no more. 

Only then did she turn her attention to the girl, nosing at her to see if she lived, then checking the extent of her injuries.
Got permission to pick up Witchhazel! Anyone else is free to find her after her howl as well.
[Image: counselor.gif] 1/5[Image: caretaker.gif]2/5 or [Image: outrider.gif]2/5
Messages In This Thread
what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Deirdre - December 28, 2016, 09:47 PM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Cas - December 28, 2016, 09:59 PM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Muses - December 29, 2016, 01:36 PM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Starbuck - December 29, 2016, 01:58 PM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Doe - December 29, 2016, 09:45 PM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Muses - December 30, 2016, 12:42 AM
RE: what if the storm ends, and i don't see you - by Szymon - December 31, 2016, 09:13 PM