a. Appendix: Courtesy & Brave Space Guidelines
January 10, 2017, 12:40 PM
WOLF
Site Account

Appendix: Courtesy & Brave Space Guidelines

Encouraging courtesy through conscious questioning and active listening, where all participants are encouraged to grow and learn from others.

• Strive to learn from experiences outside of your own. Try to understand experiences from another point of view, and seek permission to ask questions about those experiences.

• Do not hesitate to ask questions.

• Strive to ask for clarification before responding, to avoid misunderstandings as much as possible. E.g. "I interpret what you are saying as... Is that correct?"

• Recognize that all individuals have unique experiences, values, and opinions. What may be true for some may not be true for everyone.

• Respect the opinions and preferences of others. It is acceptable to agree to disagree.

• Avoid criticizing the person, but rather the specific and isolated action.

• Validate ideas, feelings, or experiences of others. Theirs are as important as your own. E.g. "Thank you for taking the time to..."

• Practice empathy even if opinions differ. E.g. "If I was in your position, I would feel the same way."

• Do not attack or debate the experiences of another individual.

• Personalize rather than generalize. Don't over-generalize when it comes to a certain group of people. Use "I" statements rather than "they".

• Keep IC out of OOC and vice versa. Communicate openly and honestly.

• Calling in can be a more compassionate method that calling someone out. Mistakes are allowed to happen and should serve as a tool to learn and grow from the experience. Identify the subject, the behavior, and why you are engaging the other person. Open up a conversation with them, sharing your values, and listening to theirs. Understanding another individual's point of view and reconciling with them is a way of unlearning, of letting go of prejudices.

• Address conflicts peacefully, and seek mediation if conflicts escalate.

Disclaimer: These guidelines are not enforced but recorded here for the reference of players when dealing with conflict or other difficult conversations amongst one another.

A big thank you to Hero for providing this reference, adapted from The University of California-Berkeley's Brave Space Guidelines.

Please don't send PMs to this account, as we don't check it very often and they may go unread! Instead, direct admin inquiries to our personal accounts as listed on the staff directory. Thank you!