Stone Circle Do you want to build a snowman? It doesn't have to be a snowman.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Pack Activity 
BWP 3 1/2! It isn't mandatory that you participate, but it sure is fun! No posting order, though please do not post more than once in a 24hr period. 

@Valette @Grayday @Chaska @Evelyn @Krypton @Mara Susi @Keoni @Nikai @Sunny @Dawn

Steady had felt the change in the air the moment he awoke that morning. Something was coming, and it was going to be bad. Had it been spring or summer, he might not have worried as much, and just passed it off as a bad storm. But, the fact that the temperatures were below freezing, plus the young pups that were here, made it all worse. Steady had kissed Valette and the pups before heading off to find a plan for the brewing storm. 

He had remembered coming across a small stone formation in the middle of the forest, though had never given it a second thought before now. The stones were stacked in a way that a sort cave-like emptiness formed between them. It wasn't big enough for him to want to call it a cave, but it would fit the pack, though just barely. They would definitely be on top of each other, but that would add to their chances of surviving the storm that was coming instead of freezing to death. Lifting his his maw, he called out for his packmates to gather. 

But, he didn't stay to wait. He quickly made his way back to his family's den, letting Valette know a quick update and to get Keoni and Nikai there. He was going off to see if Grayday needed help with Sunny and Dawn. Nikai and Keoni were big enough to trudge through the snow that currently blanketed the ground, but Dawn and Sunny might find it much more difficult. 

Once they had gathered, he glanced to each wolf in the group. There's a large storm coming, if you can't already feel it. I think we should huddle here together until it's over. It will give us the best chance of survival rather than staying individually in separate dens. He waited, then, to see if there was any opposition. If someone had a better idea, he would certainly listen to it.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
A storm was coming? How exciting! Sunny sniffed at the freezing air his nose curling up at the various odd scents that he had only smelled once before during a mild snowstorm. Despite how he was shaking from the cold the idea of being close to all members of the pack excited him. He had only met valette, steady, keoni and Nikai before and he knew that others were there.

"Do we have to stay quiet, or can we still play?" He piped up. If he couldn't play that was a deal breaker (as if he had the choice). He looked around at all the gathered adults until he saw Nikai and Keoni, and felt a bit better knowing that he and Dawn wouldn't be the only pups in the small den.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day had felt the storm too, and was grateful that Steady had arrived with a good idea and an extra set of jaws to help carry the kids. They were big enough to trudge through the snow, by now, but Day didn't trust their thin little pelts to keep them warm enough to finish the walk. So Day picked up Sunny and Steady picked up Dawn, and they trudged together as quickly as they could.

The cave wasn't big, but Day had to agree with their alpha - that was best.

"There will be time for play and time for quiet, and how well you listen and behave will help decide how long you get of each," he said firmly, dropping a swift kiss between his son's ears. "For now, I want you both to settle down while everyone finds a comfortable place, and then maybe we can hear a story from Uncle Chaska, or maybe I'll sing you a song."

He looked to Steady, then, to see if this was in the realm of possibilities. It was a dire situation, but they would be okay if they stuck together, and there was no reason to make this a punishment. There was no reason to scare the kids.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was worried when Steady went out. She disliked him to go out in these temperatures. Though she had gotten a kiss out of it, so that was a definitely bonus. They were starting to behave around each other like a mated couple. She snuggles and the kisses. Perhaps she should come forward, but she rather liked Steady to do that. Now didn't seem to be the time though. There was a severe cold blowing.

Valette was glad when Steady returned and told them to move to the forest. She was familiar with what he talked about and rounded up Keoni and Nikai. "Alright follow me," she spoke to them. When she put her head outside the den Valette almost wanted to pop it back in. "It is severe weather out there, stay close to me," she spoke to them and got out of the den. She waited for them to catch up and then started plowing through the snow and heavy winds.

She was glad when they were under the full cover of the trees. She entered the shelter and listened to Steady when they all had gathered. It was a snug fit. She agreed with Steady and just used the limited space as an excuse to snuggle against Steady.
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
the change in atmosphere was strange, the heavy feeling in the air was tangible. krypton stood at the edge of her den before she heard steady's call, sensing that something was coming-- something big. the fallen beta narrowed her eyes at the sky, her fur spiking up. whatever was coming, it was going to test the pack's strength and bond with one another. 

she then heard her alpha's call and heeded it. she arrived early, sat down, and carefully listened to steady. a storm was on its' way, yes, and the pack needed to huddle together to increase surviving rates. since children were present in the ranks, their survival depended on the pack being able to keep them warm.

krypton did not hesitate. the shelter was a tight fit, especially for her tall and large figure. however, what shelter was shelter, even if it was big or small. she settled down near everyone, brushing fur with others and watching the entrance of the cave dutifully. she said nothing; not a word fell from her black lips. she was silent, awaiting to hear the storm cry out.
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska heard the call that woke him up from a nice dream. And then he felt it. A change in the air. He wasn't one for knowing about weather, but the change was noticeable. And obviously, Steady had sensed it as well. He hurried along, not wanting to be stuck out alone during the incoming cold. 

With the space being rather tight, that meant they all had to huddle. Not something he was against, but also not something he was fond of. The grey male found himself a spot among everyone and settled down. Grayday mentioned his name and his story-telling, so if it came to it, he was ready. Already he had a smile at the thought of telling one.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai obediently followed his mother and silently walked through the snow while he wondered quietly what they were going to do. Normally he might have asked by now, but he felt that there was something pressing on the shoulders of Valette as they walked and it made him silent, for he then knew that she had enough weight on her shoulders and did not need his questioning. He would find out sooner or later and see for himself. And so he stayed close to Valette and Keoni as they braved the weather together.

When they arrived at the clearing, Nikai said a quiet and polite "hiya" at Sunny and Dawn upon seeing them again, and then turned to his father to listen to what he had to say. He nodded, not sure what they would do here and how long it would last and curious about all those things, but again, everyone seemed tense and now didn't seem the moment to drop a question-river on their faces.
261 Posts
Ooc — Hannah
Mara was reluctant to follow the idea, she barely knew the wolves here and was now to be forced so close. It was unnerving, but likely the best solution to ride out the storm Steady mentioned, she noticed a few familiar faces, like Chaska, who she had no idea was still in the pack, and Krypton, the girl who helped aid Zaria in her pregnancy. She stepped into the enclosed space, and laid down, taking up as little space as she possibly could in courtesy to the others. She glanced at Chaska again when he spoke of telling a story, and although she had only heard the doleful one of how he lost his family, was greatly interested in hearing a more upbeat one, and she she turned to listen in case he started. 

The girl took in as many new faces as she could, jotting them down in hopes to recognize them if they ran into eachother again, which the chances her likely.

The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
They gathered, and seemed to agree with his plan. At least, if any didn't like the idea, none spoke up in opposition of it. He opened his mouth to instinctively reply to Sunny, but Grayday beat him to it. Steady didn't mind the pups playing, as he knew they were basically balls of energy and it would be difficult to be in such a cramped space and not be able to play. He gave a soft smile and nodded to Grayday's reply. Sounds good, he said, agreeing. 

He glanced to Chaska, wondering if he would, indeed, tell a story. He had not yet talked to the other male since the Mirabelle scene. Steady still didn't feel like Chaska had his back at all, and instead had instantly gone against him. It didn't sit well with the Alpha, not having the support of Chaska, even if he felt he had earned it over time. 

Speaking of Mirabelle, or Evelyn, as she was calling herself now, he noticed her absence. He waited for the group to crowd into the cave, and waited still to see if she would come. Maybe she was further away than the rest had been. He was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, instead of thinking she had purposely ignored his call. With one more glance, he entered the cave, taking up space at the entrance. His large body would be good for blocking any wind that might come with the storm.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day, too, noticed the absence of Mirabelle. Part of him wanted to go and find her, drag her back so that she couldn't put herself in danger, like he'd seen her do at the river that day. But at the end of the day, it wasn't his job to save her from herself. At some point, she would have to make the choice to include herself, and maybe today just wasn't the day.

He resolved to check on her later, if she didn't show up soon, but for now he was reasonably certain she wouldn't perish if left on her own. If things got dire, she could call for someone or seek them out.

For now, he settled around his children, nudging them to the center, where they would get the most warmth, warning them to not get too rambunctious just yet, and to mind their aunts and uncles. To Steady, he said: "Let me switch off with you in a few hours - None of us should stay at the entrance for too long. Not even you."
What's Mine is Ours
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
It seemed she was late to the party, as by the time Evelyn arrived, the entry was blocked by Steady's large form. She chuffed and moved to make herself more visible, though she kept a fair distance between them. I-I'm sorry I'm late, she muttered through chattering teeth and a shivering bodice. It reminded her of the time at the river, just after the incident, but she fought back any memories that made an attempt at creeping back up. T-the storm isn't t-to far now. She didn't know if she would be allowed in with the rest of the pack, but she wished Steady would hurry with his decision so she would be able to get warm, one way or another.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Krypton saw everyone was finally present and felt her anxiety calm down. Good, everyone was here and accounted for. Krypton looked around the den to see Gray and Steady near the entrance to block it. She smiled, prepared to volunteer at any moment one needed a break to warm up.

she saw that she was right next to Chaska and smooshed near the pod of puppies. She smiled at them, resting her head down on the floor and keeping a watchful eye on them. She could feel her body shiver, making her curl tightly into a ball to help fight the cold.
a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
The girl was miserable. There was nothing she hated just as much as the cold, nothing she feared save the cold. The kind of cold that purged from her all warmth, had her bones freeze and her body shiver. And then to be shoved into a den with all the others, stuffy and tight and uncomfortable...

she did not greet the pups the way Nikai did, though stuck close to the side of her sibling. Rapidly approaching five months, she was quite a but bigger then the pups but smaller than the rest if the adults; unbeknownst to her, she would always occupy a petite frame. Sitting, she squared her shoulders, feeling as if she wanted to scream at the weather and the other's and the horribly crowded den, obviously taking the whole situation much poorer than Nikai. And yet, she held her tongue, gaze drifting to land on the other's one by one.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska nestled down, and looked about. He saw he was right by a friendly face, Krypton. He could see Grayday, Steady, the pups. But there was one he did not see. Evelyn. She was nowehere to be seen or heard. He needed to find her. Out in that cold she would die. He was about to stand up and get out of the den to find her, but then he heard her voice. His tail began to wag.

He sighed with relief after hearing her just outside. Although, Steady was at the entrance. He watched him, wondering if he would move. Hoping that he would move. "I'm here!" he called out to her, just in case she didn't know that he was inside.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette knew that ever since Keoni fell into the water she had not been keen of cold. This weather must be horrible for her and Valette, as he mother, kept a close eye on her to give her support. She watched Nikai socialize while Keoni didn't seem to be her enthusiastic self. Most of the wolves were here, making her glad they didn't have to go look for someone.

She sat next to Steady and keeping an eye on everyone. There was some tension and it could burst. She rather didn't have it happen in here though. Perhaps it was a good idea for Chaska to tell a story, because then maybe most would be settling down. "Chaska would you tell a story?," she asked him.
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
As they all entered the small space, he cast a quick and nervous glance around. It was really tight in there and not a lot of room to play around with his sister, and maybe Nikai. Would Nikai play with them?! The idea distracted him and he pranced over to Nikai and Keoni, about to ask them to play when he noticed the young girl's tension and bad mood. He moved over to her and offered a shy smile "are you okay? Are you too cold?" He whispered the questions, concern showing in his reddish gaze.

He moved closer, enough to be separated from fully touching the female pup but close enough to give her some of his warmth. Looking at Valette as she spoke requesting a story from Uncle Chaska. Tiny tail thumping against the ground he turned to Keoni with a lopsided grin, one that would become his signature when he grew up into the handsome wolf he was meant to be. "Daddy Gray says Uncle Chaska's stories are great! Have you heard any?"  He asked her. Apparently young sunny was taking an interest in the older pup despite barely knowing her, another sign of the man he was to become.
a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
There were so many people. And it was a tight fit, and she could scent nothing but the others and earth and dirt, and she realized now she had a need to use the facilities. (The facilities in the wild, being, anywhere that was not the den she was currently trapped within.) Ultimately, she was not at all pleased with the current situation, and trapped in here seemed equivalent to being out in the cold. Valette and Nikai and Steady and her would have been perfectly fine in their den together, she decided with a grimace. 

and then one  of the tiny pups was talking to her. So agrivated was she that she was prepared to snap at the tiny boy, but two things stopped her. First, this was but a tiny pup, and secondly, the tiny pup spoke with the voice of one much older, with none of the lisp and broken words that she and Nikai had spoken for a long while. Furrowing her brows and and trying to decide whether the pup was just very small or had an amazing aptitude for language had a distraction from her rising tension, and while she hardly replied to his first questions, marveling at the boy and his words, merely uttered a "no " to his second question. 

He was one of Amber's pups, she knew, and she also knew that Amber had gone. A quick glance at Valette calmed the odd feeling in her chest, and she dearly hoped the woman never left her. Oddly, a quick memory, a flash of grey and a scent of milk and warmth, crossed her mind, but she pushed it away, hardly wanting or willing to dwell on it at this moment; trapped in a den with the bitter cold raging outside.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai didn't mind Keoni staying so close and he nuzzled her shoulder in a comforting gesture while he waited to see how this would all play out. He could sense that she wasn't overly happy, and so he'd be there for her, family being his top priority as it always was. Sunny reached out to talk to Keoni, but she didn't seem in the mood. Nikai was ready to play the peacemaker when he noticed her tension rising, but she decided to be the bigger wolf, and he was glad and proud for it.

To think of how their mother had left them made Nikai feel sorry for them. He hoped that they'd find a mother just as great as Valette, who'd stepped in after their mother had gone. But at least she had a father there for her.

At Sunny's remarks, Nikai looked around to see who Valette's eyes were resting on. He didn't remember Chaska very well, but knew that he'd been around and he had heard mention of his name. Nikai waited patiently for the story to begin, his focus on Chaska.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
It seemed as soon as he got nestled in, Evelyn's voice was behind him. Just before he made to move, Chaska called out. Steady's eyes narrowed on him in an open display of agitation. Why was he yelling when there were so many wolves in such cramped quarters? Did he have no thoughts of anyone else? Instead of voicing his irritation, he lifted his body to allow Evelyn entry. Once she was in, he settled back down, content now that they were all accounted for, even her.

Grayday spoke up about taking turns and Steady nodded. I appreciate that, I'll definitely take you up on it, he replied. He was fine now, but he knew when the storm really picked up that he would need to seek the warmth of the middle of their tiny cave, and Grayday was helpful enough to take his place. Valette spoke up then, inquiring again about a story. Steady wasn't in the mood to hear the other male's voice, as it would make it that much harder to simply ignore him, and their situation, but he did not speak out against it. Instead, he reached out to nuzzle Valette, finding the calm in her presence. 

Noticing Keoni was seemingly not making herself very comfortable, he swung his head towards her, his intent to land some licks on the side of her head. Yes, she was growing, and getting bigger, but she would always be his little girl.

1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
The girl's discomfort was sensed by Sunny and he hesitantly nudged her with his nose "maybe it won't be too long" he said trying to cheer her up if only slightly. Seeing Steady approach he waggled his tail and lowered his head, knowing instictively that he was the boss. While waiting for Uncle Chaska to tell a tale, he walked over to Nikai "how are ya?" he asked in a friendly tone looking up at the boy who was already bigger than him.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
lost in the order really xD

Valette watched the interaction between Keoni and Sunny. She frowned lightly. She decided that it was just the tension of being so close together. "Keoni," she called her. "Why don't you come sit with me?," she offered with a kind smile. She wouldn't mind having the pup close for a cuddle session. And perhaps then she could think away the other wolves that seem to bother her.

Steady moved close to her, which also got her attention. She nuzzled him right back. Honestly she should really talk to him about all these nuzzles, cuddles and licks. Because she really wouldn't mind to be officially claimed by the male. They seemed to work well together as the leaders of this pack and were able to also raise pups. She started to think more and more of carrying Steady's pups. She wanted to carry them. She snapped from her thoughts as they almost became super inappropriate.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
ooc: do we wanna pp that Chaska told the story already or...?

The agouti was tired. Her eyes reflected her desire to sleep during the bitter cold. She felt it would be rude, however, to sleep during Chaska's telling of the story. With that in mind, she wanted to catch some Z's before he went ahead and wove his tale of words. She curled herself even tighter, shut her eyes, and tried to sleep with the warmth of the others keeping her warm and feeling safe. She let out a soft breath, one of peacefulness and serenity. The storm would end eventually, though the duration was unknown. Until then, Krypton would have to remain the dark and tightly-fitted cave with the rest of her pack.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska shut his trap at how Steady looked at him. The look of agitation was enough, and he rested his head down on his paws. Until other wolves started suggesting he tell a story. So he thought up a quick one, a rhyme of snow. 

"All right then, I'll start one" he said, then cleared his throat to begin. "The outside is cold, where only the bold would venture. The sky is grey, and everything seems rather dire. Speckles of white fall from the sky, and the birds no longer cry. The trees are bare and white, something that would give squirrels a fright. 

It may look bad from here, but please lend me your ear. For we have each other, and together there is nothing to fear.

The ground is covered in snow, the wind it harshly blows. Like a hoot from an owl, yet soon it turns into a howl. The deer have run away, to far greener and brighter days. They have warmth and food, and all we can do is brood.

It may look bad from here, but the light is so very near. For we have each other, and together there is nothing to fear." 
He smiled lightly to everyone, having finished his little rhyme. And gave a longer smile to Evelyn. Slowly he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep, missing any good words to his rhyming tale.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
While Chaska told his story, Day dragged Dawn toward his chest and began cleaning the wetness from her fur. Though he and Steady had carried them to the stone den, they were getting big enough that they bottoms brushed the high snowline, and Day didn't want either of his kids getting frostbite.

When Dawn was clean (and now half-asleep, thanks to his ministrations), he passed her off into Krypton's care and leveled a hard stare at Sunny, as if to ask, The easy way or the hard way?

One way or another, both of his children would be receiving a bath before settling in for the long haul.
What's Mine is Ours
a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
the attentions of the other's made her all the more queasy, and when Valette suggested that she come close, she obeyed without hesitation. she shifted to her mother's side, curling in on herself and trying to get as comfortable as possible, leaning againt her mother's fur. Her eyes were squeezed shut, blocking out the forms of the many that crowded here, though when the voice of Chaska was heard, did her ears prick and pay rapt attention. 

she listened, and the focus on his words calmed her nervousness, her tension lifting. though still not totally at ease with the current situation, Chaska had certainly helped, and should none disturb her, she would likely soon drift off into a (slightly uneasy) slumber.