Swiftcurrent Creek school trip
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
For @Ferdie von Pelt, if you would do me the honour? :D Anyone else free to join - @Nightingale? I'm assuming she's sleeping in the den.

It was still dark, but Bazi had exhausted her patience. They were wolves, and wolves could see perfectly fine in the dark - at least well enough to walk a flat, grassy field without incident. She wanted to get out, and she wanted her den-mate to accompany her.

The scrawny little whelp was tucked up under Ferdie's chin, leaving his fluffy underbelly - Bazi's favourite spot - free. She nestled there for a bit, staring wide-eyed into the darkness as if hoping to melt away through sheer will-power. She had not slept often in their shared den since the arrival of Ferdie's project, choosing to nestle in what remained of the earthen bowl that they had slept in that first night. On colder, wetter nights, a couple of flattened skins kept the worst of the elements out.

But this night - or morning; there was something in the air to suggest that dawn was just around the corner - she was tired of sleeping outside. Hadn't a week passed yet? When would Fox summon the whelp for her trial? How would it go? Would she continue to sleep here, in the den? Or would she have to find her own way? Was there a chance that Ferdie would have to execute the scrawny tyke - and what would that do to him? More than anything, she wished that the little misfortune had ended up at someone else's borders, and become someone else's problem.

"Ferdie," Bazi whispered, giving his belly a gentle nudge. "Are you awake?"
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Aw yeah, a Bazi and Nightingale thread(with others) where she doesn't walk away awkwardly :D

"Ferdie? Are you awake?"

The small ears perked up at a voice that caused her slight discomfort. She recognized Bazi's voice from her first day in Swiftcurrent Creek. She remembered how the white wolf stalked off after Nightingale's trial had been proclaimed. She opened her eyes and twisted herself around, softly in hopes that the other thing to awake Ferdie would be the Artic wolf's whisper.

She turned to glance at the newcomer. She shifted awkwardly on her paws. The pup wasn't an idiot. There had been a connection between the two wolves before her, and her presence somehow ruined it for the Artic Wolf.

Something told the little pup that the wolf had not intended to wake her, so she crept silently to the edge of the den and snuggled back down, not really wanting to disturb whatever the Artic wolf wanted from Ferdie. If they decided to leave, though, at least that might give Nightingale the chance to practice her art of singing again. The male hadn't left her side for a minute since she had joined the pack. The young wolf closed her eyes and simply listened to what happened next.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
The brute grunted when he was nudged, little did most know, he was not a morning wolf, he was rather a big grumpy bear. He huffed out a deep rumble not quite a growl and not quiet not a growl either, and frowned. Sliding his paws along the ground in front of his he stretched him out and tilted his head back, stretching the best he could inside the den, he was going to have to help nightingale make her own den but he wasn't about to start until after she passed Foxs judgement.

Wait... He grumped shifting and sliding himself out of the den, with a hefty yawn he went to the spot where Jace had buried a fish for him before, Ferdie squinted his eyes as he dug it, Walking forward a few steps he dropped it into the river and then picked it up again. satisfied it was edible he carried it back to the den. Ferdie tucked just his front end into the warm earthen bowl and nudged the fish into Nightingale's side. Eat! He said firmly the pup had put on at least a pound maybe more but time was running out tomorrow was it. The day he had to bring her back to fox. Wasting time sleeping was not helping anything.

It was then that Ferdie backed out and finally turned to Bazi, With one more yawn his mood was lifting as he bumped his head fondly against her neck. What is it Mi'dear?
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Bazi's request died in her mouth. She had wanted to escape on an early-morning adventure, but even when he was half-drunk with sleep, Ferdie made sure to prioritize the health of their tiny visitor. A sour look washed over the Gamma's face, but it was impossible to see in the darkness. He was right to fight tooth and nail for the pup now that he had committed to the task, Bazi thought, but the whole situation filled her with nervous energy. Mostly because of what Ferdie might do if the judgement that Fox meted out was not to his liking. He loved pups, no matter how much of a burden they were, or where they came from.

"I thought.. we.. could go on a little scouting trip," she said, stumbling awkwardly over words that hadn't been her original intention. "We can take her with us."
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale flinched at Bazi's hesitation. She didn't wish to ruin the scouting mission for the artic wolf. She looked down and slowly began to eat her fish. She glanced at Bazi, wishing that she was somewhere else so that she could be spared the friction between them.

Still, it was hard to pass up an early morning walk. She continued in her fish, waiting to hear Ferdie's reply.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie nodded toward nightingale, hoping she didn't get fur in her fish, Ferdie had spent the best part of the night grooming the young pup and had fulled the den with tufts of hair, which he would have to clean out later tonight.

The brute nodded solemnly, he didn't want to nor did he like the idea of leaving the pack lands. But he had promised Bazi he would go with her one day, and if he could fullfill two tasks in one journey he'd not have to leave again for a while.

Mi'dear I know you want just I to go, but I fear to leave her behind, so My heart lifts at your invitation of her. I also have received an invitation to go to the Vale; so did you want to go there today? and perhaps we could track down a healer to begin tutoring the young pup. Reason enough to visit and use the invitation that was extended, though it was extended to both Bones and I.

He was not sure if Bazi had ever been in the vale or if she steered clear like he had asked, and this would be a good way to find out. But suddenly he found himself excited for the outing.

Ferdie lowered his front-end and stretched himself out, even under his groomed pelt one was going to notice his ribs, especially when he extended his body, He kicked his legs out behind him one at a time stretching those as well then he shook himself hiding his body as best he could under his pelt. He was ready to go the moment the girls were

I'll post first in the vale I hope you are ok with the Vale, Never mind Ferdie will wait until Bazi''s next post before I post in the Vale
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Oh you! :D I'll deal with it IC-ly - enjoy the dog show!

Bazi grimaced. Ferdie outed her jealousy immediately, and it embarrassed her to have it so plainly stated. Nightingale's hurt was almost palpable, which made her feel worse. It's self-defense! she wanted to scream, You might be dead tomorrow! But when she played that sentence over in her head, it only sounded hurtful.

"There's Blue Willow at the Plateau," she said, remembering the sweet, gentle healer from Blacktail Deer Plateau. "You should go - I'll come with you to the lake at the bottom of the mountain range and turn back after that. There's something I want to show you, and the Vale wolves might appreciate it, and.. " By this point, her eyes had adjusted to the darkness. She spied the whelp in the corner, nibbling on the fish that Ferdie had brought inside. For the first time since Nightingale's arrival, Bazi addressed the child personally. "Maybe.. you..could bring them a gift. I know a place, and you're small enough to fit." She offered a stiff little smile, and turned back to Ferdie with a whisper, "We can cover some basic scouting skills on the way to make her seem more well-rounded."
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale slowly looked up at Bazi, shakily returning the smile. She nodded rather stiffly and returned to her fish, having a shyness overload again.

Though the question tugged at her tongue. Despite her timid feelings toward Bazi, she couldn't help but ask it.

"Small enough to fit? Is the place so small only small wolves can get in?"
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Sorry I'm a little tired, long weekend

Ferdie tipped his head a little, wanting to get straight down to business and get to the vale, quickly each minute slipping by sent him further and further into despair, however scouting might be a good option for the little one, perhaps even better then healing. so he nodded.

"Where shall our first stop be? He questioned, keeping his fear under wrap and his tone, conversational; even when he felt like he was going to explode in fear. He was much to stoic to display the pain he felt though.

He nodded to Nightingale urging her to hurry her meal but to eat it all, at the same time. Her weight was important to him too.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Bazi gave him a funny look, failing to understand the urgency - if Ferdie needed medical attention, he would have sought it long before now (at least that was what she would assume).

"Exactly," she told Nightingale, struggling to keep her face neutral. "It's a cave, but the entrance is only a small crevice - a healer at Blacktail Deer Plateau told me that the moss in there is great for bandages. It's only a small detour - you still need to go in that direction if you want to go to the Vale," she told Ferdie, nudging the elder wolf's belly gently.

With that, she stood, scrambling out of the den and into the darkness. "Come on then, you two - no time to waste."
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
i don't know, but if we are, this is my final post... Just to finish this off... Ay, Ferdie, how do you like mah owl friend ;p

Nightingale nodded her head excitedly and quickly finished off her fish. She stood up and shook off dust before walking towArds, Bazi, ready to go.

"Let's go!"
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
it looked like this motley crew was off and ready to go, however though he knew the way to the vale he didn't know where else to go so he looked to Bazi to take the lead, nudging Nightingale into line behind Bazi.

He was concerned about sending the pup into a cave freaked out even but he wouldn't let that show either. At least not yet. perhaps while she was in the cave ferdie would go get more food to feed her, so he wouldn't have to pace and wait and watch what might actually give this brute a near heart attack
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
A few more - I'll post a continuation when they're there. :D

To the east, a pale yellow line hinted at the imminence of dawn. Bazi, Nightingale, and Ferdie were going west, towards the mountains - their pale outrider set off at an eager canter, but slowed her pace to account for the pup's little legs and Ferdie's ailments, whatever they were.

"You should always keep tabs on where the wind is blowing," Bazi told Nightingale once the pair of them had caught up - there was no hesitation, and she addressed the pup directly. It was as if the great outdoors had blown away whatever animosity she had nurtured in the den. "If it's east, blowing in our faces, we'll scent anyone in our path before we meet them. If it's blowing west, we're announcing ourselves instead. Where is it blowing today?" This was said with an approval-seeking glance at Ferdie: See?, it said, I'm trying.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
uh, uh... IDK WHICH WAY ITS BLOWING D: ima make a guess...?

Nightingale focused on Bazi's strong legs, copying their smooth stride. Unfortunately, Nightingale's legs where too gangly, so she decided to stick with her bunny-hop trot.

At Bazi's question, she stopped to feel which way the wing pushed her fur. But which way it went and which way it came from was hard for her to tell in her groggy condition, so she looked up at Bazi sheepishly. "Er, it's blowing... East?"
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
SPRING
in the Teekon Wilds.

70° F · Mostly Cloudy
V: 10 mi · H: 63% · W: 0 mph

Ferdie stopped in his tracks and looked down at nightingale, then huffed a silent breath, it wasn't a sigh but it wasn't not a sigh either.

His lifted his head sky ward and spoke clearly to the pup Feel for the breeze let it move your pelt, look to the trees and see, the way the leaves point as the wind blows by them is the direction of the wind.

Their pelts didn't move nor did the grass of leaves, is was calm and quiet but for the noises of the the animals in nature

There is no wind today, Trick question Bazi? Ferdie smiled and nudged Bazi's shoulder fondly before continuing on the path to the cave that was spoken about
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
I was just going to let you decide, but Ferdie's way is good! :D

Bazi stuck her tongue at Ferdie over her shoulder, but admitted the trick. "Yes. But that doesn't mean you should relax," she continued, addressing the pup but speaking into the empty half-light ahead. "The wind is either your greatest ally our your worst enemy - and it's very fickle. If it's not blowing in your favour, disguise your scent. Roll in mud - hide in strong-smelling flowers. If it isn't blowing at all, assume that it will soon. Sometimes, you want your scent to run ahead of you - to warn sentries that you're on your way, especially if you're delivering a message to a foreign pack. You never know if their guardians are going to be friendly." Ragnar was probably the friendliest warden Bazi had ever met, and even he had been reserved and watchful.

They were making good time, even with a child in tow - Nightingale did her best to keep up with the pace, springing into a skittish canter whenever the adults pulled ahead. "What has Ferdie taught you?" she asked - reluctant to ask in case she found it wasn't enough, but desperate to know all the same. The whelp had shared her den, her food, and try as she might, Bazi was not without heart.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
.... Y'know, I feel like an idiot for NEVER NOTICING THE THING IN THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER THAT TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT THE WEATHER!*facedesk*

"Oh."Nightingale's face felt hot, and she wondered if her fur was light enough to see the pink of her skin glow. She looked back up at Bazi with an embarrassed smile.

"Well, he and Jace taught me how to fish, and they said I'm really good at it and... And they taught a little bit about plants, and Ferdie says he's gonna take me to a earlier to teach me more about how to use plants and things for medicine... I think it'd be nice to do that... I'm not much of a fighter, and though fighting Is sorta essential, I'd prefer to help, rather than hinder, y'know? I think... I think healing would be perfect for me..."

Nightingale realized she was rambling. She felt the heat rise in her face. No matter how hard she tried to be more mature, she always seemed to sound childish...
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Bazi was making Ferdie proud, each step they took together he felt lighter, happier even. But when Nightingale spoke of fighting Ferdie began to look guilty I know sparing is worth teaching her for sure, but she might never be a warrior with that blindside, although there are wolfs would fight well and are blind BUT I was hoping to help her impress fox by other means, Perhaps I could ask bones to have a friendly spar with her. Ferdie knew tomorrow was the day.... so fear gripped at him again, she might not have a chance to spar before she had to go before the alpha

Ferdie shuttered, if it were up to him he'd put this pup in a big bubble and just guide her through life un-harmed. but the world was cruel, and there were no unbreakable wolf sized bubbles as far as he knew.

He peered into a cave, he found, something he never noticed before. Is this it fox? er... Bazi Ferdie was just befuddled he couldn't help himself. He looked at Bazi and shrugged his shoulders apologetically for calling her the wrong name.

the wrong name slipped out of my fingers, so I left it there, happens in RL could happen here :D
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
I'll fade here and start a continuation thread - I'll tag you both in it. :)

Nightingale was running out of time for sparring, but Bazi nodded all the same. "Sure. Maybe." At the pup's blushes she just rolled her eyes and grinned; it hadn't been a very difficult trick to see through, but Nightingale was young and nervous and on some very unpleasant probation.

Company and conversation seemed to fortify their little songstress. She babbled happily about fishing and healing, the latter of which might have been the only thing she could ever excel at. Hunting, scouting, and fighting required two eyes - no matter what they might tell themselves about adapting or making do.

"You wish that was it," Bazi teased her den-mate, shaking her head at his mistake. "Come on - let's run," she commanded the pup, ""So that impatient Uncle Ferdie doesn't have time to look in every single dent in the ground on the way there."

Lower Arrow Lake wasn't far now.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
The little wolf grinned back at Bazi before looking mischievously over at Ferdie. Though it was true she was half-blind, the pup was tiny enough in body and strong enough in legs to run fairly fast. She quickly caught up to the arctic wolf through leaps and bounds, following cheerfully behind her newfound friend.

Through those shining green eyes, one could see the faintest flicker...

A flicker of hope.

exit Nightingale, stage left!
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie huffed a sigh and smiled with a smile he trotted to keep up with them, when they got to far from sight he used his nose to follow them, the wind wasn't carrying their scent away so it was an easy trail to follow.

awaits contionuation post