Stone Circle we gotta share this place, alright?
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Private 

Akuti had been settling into her den nicely, not minding the limited amount of space. See from her perspective, she'd hit the motherlode as her tiny body didn't need much more than a rabbit hole to be comfortable. That being said, she still hadn't spent a night with anyone else in her den and she wasn't sure if this elusive Selkie character would act as an intrusion or not. Akuti stepped from the lowlight of the den and out into the sun, releasing a howl for her new denmate. They would need to be acquainted with each other at the least, and she figured the sooner the better. Her teats leaked just slightly, so she retreated to the den once again to lie down somewhere she wasn't afraid of becoming stuck.

27 Posts
Ooc — Jem
Selkie had never had a problem approaching life with optimism – and it was difficult not to feel optimistic when she had a home once more. Still, the weight of needing to prove that she deserved this home clung to her, the same way snow and ice clung to her copper pelt like so many sequins glinting in the grey Winter light.

The howl was for her, and Selkie almost didn’t heed it. She was not used to a howl being directed her way – but she adjusted her course through the snow to bring her to the caller.

She shook the majority of the snow from her coat as she approached the den. Resting in her jaws were a pair of voles – one she had had to search and dig for, and the other which had been unfortunate enough for Selkie to just happen upon emerging from its burrow. They were small, but they were still warm, and they were bound to make a better meal than nothing.

Entering the den, leaf green eyes alighted on her new pack – and den – mate, and she trotted closer, depositing the voles with a jerk of her head.

“Thought ya might be hungry.”
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Akuti appreciated the gesture, and didn't hesitate to snatch one of the small corpses for herself. Thank you, she said with unmistakable graciousness. Akuti was now sitting straight up, her motherly physique showing, as for a moment, she'd forgotten her own humiliation. I'm Akuti. Seems we'll be sharing this place, yeah? A toothy grin was written across her maw in a slightly awkward fashion, though her petite size made it look nothing beyond adorable. What's your name?

27 Posts
Ooc — Jem
Selkie grinned, glad that her efforts to hunt were appreciated. When the other female sat up it was apparent that she was a good deal smaller even than Selkie. It was also apparent that she was a Mother, something which the coppery female found made her faintly nervous. The idea of children had never really appealed to Selkie – she was far too afraid of somehow breaking tiny beings. Maybe it was a sore spot for Akuti, though, so she wouldn’t draw attention to it immediately.

“Yeah, looks that way,” she responded with characteristic brightness. “I’m Selkie – nice to meet ya. Been in Easthollow before, a few months back – maybe I can show ya the lay of the land some time.” Her gaze flicked down to the snack at her paws and she lowered her narrow torso, forelegs stretching out before her and hind legs splaying behind. “Never had a den mate before.” Perhaps it would be a good change of pace – it would certainly make Selkie consider the wellbeing of someone else alongside herself, which would be different from her previous life of looking out for number one.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
I'd like that, Akuti told Selkie in response to her offer of a den. She hesitated to ask why she'd left in the first place, but curiousity soon took over; So what's your story, eh? Why'd you leave? Akuti had always been the sort of wolf to prefer one home over others, which was a piece of the pain she carried from her recent move. It was possibly the most painful, too, save for the family she'd had to leave behind. I grew up in a pretty big family. I don't think I've ever had a den to myself; especially not in my adult years.

27 Posts
Ooc — Jem
Selkie hesitated, chewing on a chunk of meat, before lifting her gaze to Akuti and offering a lopsided and rueful smile. “Guess I ran off after some guy,” she admitted, ears flicking back against her head for a moment. Selkie wasn’t proud of her flighty behaviour, taking off without a word, nor of the fact that at the root of it had been a male. A male she’d cared about, but one whom she’d realised probably hadn’t cared all that much for her. She wouldn’t be making that mistake again.

Her head cocked, her ears lifting from her skull again. “Really? Ah, that musta been nice, though? Havin’ someone around all the time – harder to feel lonely with family around?” Selkie missed her own family - her birth family, at least. She viewed Easthollow as a second family, one she'd chosen.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Akuti was ready to listen to Selkie's story, though it was apparent she didn't want to elaborate. She brought up their families, and Akuti decided that she didn't much want to elaborate either. It's difficult without them sometimes, but I would never be able to move on from the past if I didn't allow the pain. She gave a reassuring smile to her den mate before lowering her snout to the snack — or rather for Akuti, meal — at her feet.