Blackwater Islands inner sanctum
fury, oh fury don't you misguide me
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Private 
Inspired by this. For @Gabe.

As the weather continued to wane into warmer and wetter fronts, Akantha was spending more and more time away from the mainland. She did still see to her sisters often enough to be a formidable presence among them, but any time she had alone she was sequestered away among the thick woods, or traversing the rocky spread of the beach. She was mapping the Islands out in her head—marking off places for their needs, but she hadn't ticked off every box yet. It would take time before her mind was made up on where each individual location would be. But, for now, their main home was on the Island closest to Ankrya Sound.

Today she found herself faced with a narrow canyon, bordered on either side by sheer, mossy cliffs that supported massive pines. A shallow stream ran through it. It reminded her of a mountain, but split in half right down the middle. She plodded along down the middle of the stream with the water flowing around her ankles and her paws easily finding purchase on the slick rocks. She lowered her head occasionally to lap at the water. Here, the snow hardly touched the ground; any that had was long melted. The canopy above was a latticework of pine and cedar that the little light that was able to penetrate the cover was almost murky. 

She shouldered against one of the narrower stretches and her paws left deep ruts in the stream bed as she clawed her way through. The canyon opened up a little, spreading like welcoming hands and, at the center, a thin waterfall cascaded down from the plateau above. Many large rocks littered the area, and to the left the canyon had been dug underneath a bit by the errosive force of the water as it washed down the landscape to the sea. 

Akantha sucked in a breath as she stood, dwarfed by the size of the cliffs, and the pristine beauty of the sanctuary. She clambered atop the nearest rock face, mindful of the slippery moss, and laid down to rest for a spell. Her paws flexed into the rock, and her ears twisted, catching every echo; every splash; every idle groan of the trees above. 

Here, the Matriarch was at peace.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Teal dialogue is Greek. Uncolored dialogue is common/english.
Check out NEREIDESpedia for more information.  
the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Thanks for starting!

Gabriel, ever mesmerized by the coast had agreed to follow Kalika up to her home. She'd sent him up north of where they'd met, and Gabe had been traveling this newer area for some time now. He was still searching for the place Kalika wanted him to go to, to her pack. But he was having a hard time finding it. Not because he was bad at directions. No, Gabe happened to be great with directions, having travelled around practically his hole life. It was mostly because he was getting distracted with all the scenery, and he wasn't getting far very fast.

Today, he'd found his way to somewhere quite amazing. An island pretty close to a wooded area, and within it there was a waterfall grotto. He walked along the walls of the canyon, the boy loved living on the dangerous side, especially when the reward was such beauty. When the canyon opened up, he caught his first glimpse of the cascade. It was the first waterfall he'd ever seen, and he drank up the view with awe. Lush green, on dark stone and turquoise water, crystalline in the way the sunlight stroked its surface.

He trotted out onto a flat surface, turning a corner, when he found himself looking at a female wolf, with dark brown fur. He stopped in his tracks, she'd surprised him. He definitely hadn't expected that there would be others here, it had seemed so secluded. He stepped back, his large white ears flattening slightly, his head bowing a little, Oh sorry. I didn't mean to... intrude. He stammered, his gaze shifting from her to the quite distracting waterfall.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Akantha observed the waterfall with a fixation that bordered on eerie. She sat, still as a stone, with only her nose flaring with each breath drawn into her immense lungs. The fine spray of the falls alighted on the longer guard hairs of her pelt, but did not run down to dampen her skin and cause her discomfort. A song was echoing against the walls of the cavern, shouting up to the canopy, and out to the distant beach. One of her ears twitched towards the passage she'd entered through, but she paid the odd sound little heed—it did not register on a level deep enough for her to notice, for she could hear Her. 

A whisper like a lover's breath ghosted across her ears. She closed her eyes and lifted her muzzle to invite Her into her body, heart, and soul. Was this what Meteora felt, or Aktaie before her? Speaking to her, telling her, reassuring her that her path was correct. That she was doing right by them and by Her. Akantha's heart pounded as the Sea continued to envelop her, but she didn't dare move. But, suddenly, the sound faded out and she was left breathless until a masculine voice pierced the sudden silence.

Akantha was on her feet in an instant, a snarl boiling in her throat before her eyes even found the pale wolf. She stood tall, firm, upon the rock with all the fury of a storm brewing in her hazel eyes. But something calmed her; a caress to her shoulder, and a soothing croon from Her. She inhaled sharply—Kalika. Akantha kept her tail raised but her hackles flattened. She was still highly suspect of him, but the faint trace of her Sister upon his coat gave him a precious few moments of leeway. "Who are you?" she barked sharply.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gabe wasn't expecting the reaction he'd gotten, and he nearly jumped out of his fur suit. He stumbled back, dangerously close to the edge, he caught himself with a yelp. Then returned his amber gaze to the dark woman. She was snarling wildly, her hazel eyes narrowed menacingly at the boy. She stood tall and strong, standing her ground with such ferocity. For a moment he thought she was about to rush forwards and tackle him over the edge, and he braced himself in case that happened. Closing his eyes in a wince, his ears flat and tail tucked between his legs, he whined submissively knowing she held the power in this situation.

When he looked up again, the woman had settled some, but still was aggressive. He allowed himself to straighten slightly, but remained submissive, his heart racing. I-I'm Gabe! And I don't mean you any harm I was just coming to admire the view. He said, fumbling over his words.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Akantha's eyes narrowed further as he fumbled over his answer while looking nearly ready to leap right out of his skin. She lashed her tail in great arcs once, then again, before it returned to the stiff position high above her hindquarters. She listened to him, but her mind was roving over his form; pristine pale fur with a splash of gray at the nape, and liquid gold eyes that danced like fire from the barest kiss of light. He was a healthy thing, not too large, but clearly growing well into adulthood. She thought briefly of Astraios. His loss had gutted their male ranks. She knew, despite not having much patience for them, that they would need to bolster them again and soon if she was to remain Matriarch. The Sisters needed to know their future was secure.

"Gabe." She tested the word, rolling it on her tongue. It was simple. Easy to remember. She snorted and curled her hindquarters beneath her to sit upon the rock. He would attack if he dared, but he didn't seem the type. So she was content to simply question and observe him. "You smell of my Sister. Did she send you here?"
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gabe waited a long uncomfortable moment as the female looked him over head to toe. It was almost as if she was grading him, judging him physically. Perhaps she still meant to attack, and was simply sizing up her opponent. The thought only unsettled him further and tensed every bone in his body. She said his name not in a friendly greeting like manner, but more as a test to see how she felt about it. Then she snorted and sat, curling in a content position as if a moment ago she hadn't been about to throw him overboard. 

Gabe allowed his ears to unflatten, and flick atop his head. She asked if he'd been sent by her sister. It hadn't occurred to him that this woman was part of the place that Kalika had told him about. How could this angry witch be related to the charming and friendly Kalika? He kept that particular thought to himself, and replied, Is your sister Kalika? If so then yes I suppose.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Akantha continued to stare at him with an intensity bordering on predatory, but her seated position suggested she was open to the conversation. Her hawkish gaze raked him over repeatedly, dancing from his eyes, his body, and back again. The Matriarch knew he could prove useful though she wished Kalika was nearby to discuss the matter further. She did not smile as he replied, confirming her suspicions. His accent was... odd, but understandable, and she found herself drawn to the strange cadence of his words. 

She nodded slowly, "Kalika is one of mine." She said, peering down her scarred nose at the pale wolf. "If it is a home you seek, the Sea will provide." Akantha continued, tearing her gaze away to look out through the canyon to where the Sea lay somewhere beyond. "If it is answers," she turned her attention back on him. "then you will have to give me something in return."
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gabe was often a tense male. He didn't like dangerous situations, and he avoided them as best he could. But nevertheless he was always cautious and wary, on the look out for any signs of aggression or danger. Though the female didn't speak angrily, and seemed quite relaxed in herself, all he saw when he looked at her was danger. The way she wouldn't peel her gaze off of him, like a hawk preparing to dive on the unexpecting mouse. That kept him from being fully relaxed. The woman nodded, confirming that Kalika was her sister. That was definitely a surprise.

When she next spoke, she finally looked away from Gabe, which somehow eased him more so. She spoke of a home, and he remembered what Kalika had told him. That he was welcome to join her and her sisters. Now he wasn't so sure that this was the right home for him, but he still was interested. Her next comment intrigued him even more. What kind of something? He asked, standing up slightly straighter.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
The boy, Gabe, did not relax and Akantha felt her heart swell with pride. If she was to maintain order and keep up appearances that the Nereides were not a group to be trifled with, she had to be frightening. Fear was both an excellent motivator and deterrant. In that same vein, if she judged every outsider who tread upon these shores so harshly they might not have anyone left by the year's end. They needed males, and she was not about to go crawling back to Themiscrya and beg for a loan.

A quick smile whisked across her lips at his question, "Depends on what you want to know." She replied smoothy. "I do not know what Kalika told you, but we are a group of particular ideals. As it stands, we are unfortunately lacking males in our ranks. We lost one of our own the recent storms." Akantha slowly lowered herself to lie upon the rock in the hopes she appeared just slightly less intimidating. "If you were to join us, you would be cared for by the Sea. You would not go hungry, nor want for protection."
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
The woman's answer was less than satisfactory, but he didn't want to push her to tell more. She lowered herself to the ground, and finally Gabe felt he could relax. If she felt like attacking now, he would definitely have the upper hand. He sat himself down in front of her, staring over at her with intrigue in his eyes. She said something that Kalika had said before, the thing about the sea. These women clearly were connected to the ocean, and maybe it had something to do with a religion. He only hoped they wouldn't try to push it on him, Gabe didn't believe in anything and nothing would change that.

The idea of protection and shelter, and food however did catch his attention. The idea of belonging to a pack, especially if the pack had Kalika. He couldn't wait to see her again, and he doubted he would if he didn't join her family. So he nodded. In that case, I suppose I'd be open to joining ya. Sorry though I didn't catch your name.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
He relaxed, finally, and she smirked as he finally found the courage to look her over. Fair enough, she thought. It was better for him to know who commanded the ranks than to be ignorant when the time came that his knowledge was challenged. Akantha crossed her paws and lowered her muzzle to lap at the water still clinging to the short fur. Her tongue slicked over the gnarled scar tissue. Gabe decided to stay—whether it was misguidance on Kalika's part, or a desire to be a part of a whole that wouldn't prove worthless, Akantha couldn't be certain. 

All she knew was that she was pleased. "Akantha." She replied before lashing her tongue across her jowls. "Leader, Matriarch, if that was not already clear to you." The scarred Amazon narrowed her eyes. "You may stay with us, then. Take your fill of the food the Sea offers. But when we are finally settled here I will expect you to patrol the borders regularly and assist my Sisters with their requests until such a time I find you trustworthy." She explained in a clear, very no-bullshit tone. "I do not know you yet, and I do not chance my Sister's lives on the word of a stranger."
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
The woman introduced herself as Akantha, another name he'd never heard before. She stated that she was the leader and matriarch, then with narrowed eyes she shared her rules and expectations. He understood that she didn't truly trust him yet, he usually had a hard time trusting people as well. Trust issues is what you get when you find your older brother attacking your mother then get banished by him. He usually tried to hide his trust issues behind the facade of a charming young man, but there was more to Gabe then just a pretty face.

I understand, and I know my word alone won't be enough to convince you, but I'll show you that I can be trusted. Thanks for letting me stay here, it'll be nice to be part of a family again. He nodded with a slight smile, remembering his blood family, before the incident. He'd loved them so much, he wondered if this pack would ever be what they were to him.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
We could wrap up or keep going. I'm alright with either so I left it a bit open ended for you!

Akantha could not deny that she was interested in where this boy came from; what were his roots, and what could possess him to join them out of all the other outsider packs out there? Was he simply a tourist hoping to entertain himself by learning their culture before mysteriously vanishing into the night? That was not a pleasant thought. Despite what she'd told him, Akantha was secretly banking on him staying and a large part of here wanted to make sure of it. But not yet. The connection was too tenuous to close the cage door just yet.

"Good." She rumbled. "Let's start by filling a new cache for the others." Akantha said as she rose abruptly to descend from the rock. She landed in the shallow stream with a soft splash and looked past him towards the canyon; there was a great ruccous from the gulls going on somewhere out on the beach, and it likely meant something large had washed ashore. A perfect oppertunity for the pair to bring back some morsels for the caches. 

Akantha cupped her ears and glanced towards Gabe, motioning towards the noise with a jerk of her head.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

the wanderer
106 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
We can fade here! I'd love another thread sometime :)

A small smile lit Gabe's face when she proposed a hunt. He was a good hunter, and always loved a snack. He doubted that he'd get to eat his spoils this time around, but the exhilaration of a hunt sounded too tempting to pass up either way. So without another word, the white furred boy stood and leaped down after her, his paws making quiet splashes in the stream below.