Silver Creek Baby it’s cold outside
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
@Heston I know we already have so many threads, but... :P

It was cold.  So, so, so, so, cold.  After her injury she hadn't been as active, as to let it heal faster, but more and more she found herself sticking more to her den, except for a daily patrol, due to a grip of nausea that caught of with her every day and that wave of nausea decided to strike now, acompanied by a pang of hunger.  She had a feeling as to what this all meant, but still was a little unsure of how to break the news to Heston.

So hungry and nauseated she left the comfort of her den to go search for something to eat in this wicked bone chilling cold.  She shivered as she walked, wondering what she could catch.  Fish probably wasn't an answer right now, due to the Creek probably being frozen over and she was smart enough to know that breaking the ice wasn't the best idea.

Eventually she decided to see if she could find any small game and in the end ended up catching a skinny rabbit, which she devoured quickly, licking her chops she stood with a shiver and then began to make her way towards the borders to remark them.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
But there's so many important things to discuss!

After the incident with Spring on the border, Heston found it hard not to attach himself firmly to her hip. He'd been attempting to allow her some space, but more often than not he got panicked while he wandered alone by himself. So for a time he'd taken to following her at a polite and subtle distance. Casmir, he was sure, would have plenty to say on the stalking of his own mate.

Speaking of, though, they hadn't directly confirmed anything. Sure, they'd said they were going to try and they'd both promised that this time would be different...but they hadn't really had a "our future" talk. He was unsure where he stood with the pack, and to be plainly honest he was not interested in a friends with benefits situation. They had feelings for each other, it hadn't been reading between the lines to assume they both wanted a mate. But they'd never said it. He was steadily realizing that he was a very paranoid wolf.

The weather was dropping as winter continued, growing colder and colder. He was used to cold winters back where he'd come from, but he didn't know what winters here were normally like. The temperature dropped seemed sudden, even for his standards. Staying inside was a much better option than anything else. Heston still had his own den, but he'd been straying towards Spring's without any real confidence enough to also call it his own. His mind was buzzing with this latest worry when he noticed a lump on the ground. He inhaled, but caught only the barest trace of elk.

He approached cautiously, the dark shape was very still on the ground and he could tell without a doubt the animal was dead. His mind went instantly to other packs, and he wondered who would hunt so close to the borders of Silver Creek and why. It was only once he was up on the elk that he noticed there was no blood spilled on the snow at all. 

He sniffed the animal, confused, but found no scent of any other wolf. Had it died of cold? Could the elk here be so unprepared for the cold? Perhaps this was something that wasn't normal for the Wilds. Well, at least the pack would have some food for a while. He set to the animal, leaning against it and using his body heat to take some of the ice away. It was hard going, but he'd done it before. It would never fully thaw outside, but even still it was edible. He ate some himself and then tore a piece for Spring, figuring a peace offering before their conversation might serve him best.

He turned and headed away from the borders, high-stepping to keep the slab of meat from dragging.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Just a little ways before reaching the borders she caught his scent.  Heston.  For a moment she paused, because while she knew it was her duty to mark the borders, but... she found it almost irresistible to go after him... plus the borders could wait anyways.

At a brisk pace she set off to go find Heston... they needed to talk anyways.

After a while she found him, dragging a slab of meat.  She scented the air.  Elk.  The caused her to pause.  Elk?  How had Heston brought down such a huge thing presumably alone...?  Had it already been dead?  She quickened her pace, until she reached her side.  "Where'd you find that?"  She asked him curious at first.  "Or actually it doesn't matter... Heston I have something to tell you.  Something important."  She
searched his face, worry starting to set in within her as she wondered how he would take the news.  Sure he had already mentioned having pups with her... but now that it was actually happening she hoped he would be happy about it and not run away like Zander did... but no he was no Zander.  He would stay and love them... right?
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
As he trekked back away from the borders he thought on what he would say to Spring to bring up their status. He was still stumbling through the words in his mind when he caught sight of a familiar face heading towards him. He stopped, dropped the elk and swallowed nervously. She asked after the elk first, and he started to answer but she spoke again. It was only after the second time that he noticed that she seemed nervous about something too. Was she wondering the same thing he was?

"What, you don't think I can kill an elk myself?" He started with a joke, because of course he did. He smiled a little, attempting to ignore the fact that she'd wanted to talk about something important. He thought he could beat her to it. His face grew more serious though as he continued about the elk. "I found it dead, frozen. Good for us in that it's meat, a whole elk, but bad because the weather's obviously pretty extreme. We'll have to be careful, the rest of the pack too. This is for you, by the way." He nudged the meat towards her, sighing a little. His voice was hesitant as he spoke next.

"I also wanted to talk to you about something important. It might be the same thing you want to talk about." He looked up to her, meeting her gaze. "We said that we'd make this different than the last time and we've been staying nearer to each other since. I've loved it, to be honest, and I want to keep doing it. But we never really put a name to anything. You're my mate now, right Spring? You said you were mine, that I was yours...so we're mates." 

"We should move into a den, yours or mine, I don't care, but we should sleep together. Always. And...and what does this mean for the rest of the pack? I'm your mate, I don't care about titles or anything else, I just want you, but we're going to tell the pack about us, right? This isn't a secret, this is official, right?" He rambled a little, and had more stated that they should stay together than asked, but either way it was said. He looked hopefully at her, gauging her face. Had she been coming to ask the same thing? Or worse, was she coming to say it had been a mistake? He was suddenly just as unsure as before he'd started.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
She laughed softly at his joke and the. Listening to his words, finding him quite cute for seeming as unsure as she was... but why, she had no idea whatsoever.  Onthe subject of him grabbing the meat for her she found quite charming, although the fact that it had died of cold made her nervous.  

Yes, they were mates now.  She loved him more than anything, he was her best friend.  As for a den though she preferred finding a new one for them both to start a new life with the two of them.  Plus she'd lived in her own den long enough, possibly since they first came to Silver Creek.

"Thank you the meat Heston... I really appreciate it.  That dying of cold thing makes me a little worried though."  She commented a with a brief flicker of fear flashing across her face.  "And of course we're mates now Heston.  Your my significant other."  She told him with a smile.  "And on the subject of a den, why don't we find a new one..." for a moment she paused with a smile, "I'll even let you bring your elk tail," she teased him playfully.

Her gaze then cast away nervously as she remembered what she had wanted to tell him.  For a moment she was silent, but then decided that she mind as well just get it over with and hope for the best.  She was happy, although fearful that things might turn out like last time... Heston would have to be the same way.  He would love him, she truelly belived he would... but still the thought of him abounding her after the news scared her a little.

"Heston while I know all that you just said is very important... things we needed to talk about... well I have something else to tell you."  She paused for a moment, taking a deep breath.  "Heston... I think I'm pregnant."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
She seemed a little amused at all that he said, and at first he wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing. Then, just as quickly as he had unloaded on her, she began to answer. He smiled and dipped his head in comment to the meat. He agreed with her sentiments about the cold and reached out to touch her with his nose in reassurance. It was scary, but they could survive, they'd just need to be careful. 

It wasn't until her next words that he felt his anxiety melt from his shoulders. He grinned foolishly, nodding, unsure why he had worried in the first place. The confirmed verbal status made him feel better though. Her den was a tad small for both of them, and the idea of finding a new one they could both easily fit in was something that excited him. Unless they found one already dug, though, he'd doubt they could make the move anytime soon. The ground was going to be harder than the elk. He perked at the bit about his elk tail, because of course he'd need to bring that. It was the only bit of decoration he had.

"I'm glad. I just...we hadn't really said anything about it and I got all in my head over it. It's...it's good to hear you say it, though, Spring." He stepped forward to nuzzle her, missing the nervous glance. His tail waved behind him happily. She began to speak again and he stepped back, confused by the nervous tone of her voice. Apparently he hadn't addressed her important issue. He nodded with her, eyes concerned as he watched her face. Whatever could be upsetting her now?

She took a deep breath and finally said what was bothering her. The words flew into his ears and for a moment he sat, same expression of concern, frozen in shock. Pregnant. Children. Finally, he moved, his eyes trailed to her stomach but he couldn't see any signs of anything. His mouth gaped open, gasping at the air like a fish. Pregnant. Pups. He met her gaze again, shook his head to try and clear away the shock. "Pregnant." He managed, the shock clear in his voice. "With pups." He felt tendrils of terror sweeping into his body as his mind whirled into a new panic. What kind of father would he be? He knew nothing about children. What if he messed them up and they hated him? What if he messed up and he killed them somehow? 

He forced himself not to think about that, not now, with Spring staring at him fearfully. She was worried he'd run off like Zander. "Oh, Spring. That's wonderful news, really." He stepped forward to nuzzle her again. "Really, it is. I'm...I'm utterly terrified but...children, oh wow." He wasn't going to lie to her about his feelings, but his fear wasn't going to make him run off. "I've never done this before, you know, the children." She knew that of course. "Oh, wow, that's the most terrifying and exciting news I've ever heard."

And he was excited. Beneath the intial fear there were thoughts of children that looked like him, or Spring, tumbling after him. Of wrestling and playing and doting on them. It was a strange mixture, but he thought that perhaps if you weren't a little fearful at the idea of your first litter then maybe you were insane. "How do you know?" His tail waved a little behind him, and he rubbed his face against her neck. When he pulled away he glanced to her belly again. "Does it feel alright, healthy and everything?" She'd had a litter before, so there was that. She knew what to expect. The idea of her daughter, Hazel, dampened him some. He wouldn't let his own children end up that way. They'd survive, he'd die to make sure they did.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
At first he appeared shocked, seemingly gasping for breath, and a flood of nervousness engulfed her.  Heston wouldn't leave her, he couldn't, she kept on repeating this in her thoughts, praying that it was true.  For a little bit longer she waited, but then he nuzzled her and she almost sighed in relief.  Heston wouldn't leave her, he wouldn't leave the kids either, he couldn't.  They were a family now.

She listened as he spoke, more than glad to see that he didn't appear to be retreating from this even if he was scared... instead he seemed to be embracing it... and she loved him for that.

Only he had finished did she begin to speak after a moments pause.  "I've been having some of the earlier symptoms."  She told him thoughtfully, "and everything appears fine,"-but it's too early to tell, she added silently to herself.

"This time things will be different," she promised him,  "This time we have each other."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
Despite his fumbling and bumbling she seemed relieved at his reaction. He smiled now, the initial burst of panic slowly fading into a calm acceptance. He would likely panic again, perhaps a few more times actually, but for now he could see the beauty of this situation. He nodded as she mentioned early symptoms, though he of course had no idea what those could be. If she seemed sure, he trusted her. "Thank you for telling me now rather than waiting. I want to know about it, as it goes on. When you feel them move and...and things like that." He said, playfully reaching out to poke at her still small stomach.

While his nose was at her side, he laughed a little and glanced to Spring again. "I'm going to be a father." He shook his head, amazed still, but turned his eyes back to her side. His father had told his litter that he used to talk to them inside their mother's womb, and suddenly, with his heart beating fast, Heston found himself doing the same. "You hear that, puplings?" His voice was hesitant, but proud. "I'm your father, Heston. I apologize ahead of time, I'm new at this. You'll be my first." He looked back up at his mate, beaming. "My father said he did that, when we were unborn. He said we came out a little calmer at his voice, like we knew him. I want them to know me too."

He couldn't keep himself from her even still, and he rubbed Spring again, moving to stand at her shoulder. "You should pick where the den goes. It'll be the first view the children have. You know the Creek best. We can dig it together." Cold ground be damned, he'd dig a den through rock for Spring if he had to.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
She was warmed by his words and laughed a little as he "talked" to the unborn puppies.  She found it cute how he was trying to continue something his Father had once done, when he was at this stag and she wondered if what he said really was true.  If he spoke to them, they'd be more calm.

Then came the talk of a den.  They would have to find one soon and she had already set a few guidlines.

She did not want the birthing den too close to the creek... as she was afraid at a younger age that that could be a hazard if one slipped and fell in.  Still she wanted the den somewhere in the heart of their territory... she felt it would be all the more safe there.

"Why don't we find a place in the heart of the territory."  She offered, "but of course not too close to the creek or anything, because I feel that could be a hazard for them when they're younger."  She advised, then awaited her mate's response, butterflies giddily whirling around in her stomach.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
She seemed to enjoy his words to the children and he smiled sheepishly at her. It was strange, to think that eventually there would be little beings who would not have existed without him and Spring. Her words made perfect sense to him, and pulled him out of the fuzzy place he seemed to be going to constantly. His mind was pulling him to thoughts of how amazing this was, how he had created things, life(!), at every idle second it got.

"Makes perfect sense to me." He hadn't ever before considered the Creek a hazard and he opened his mouth to protest right before she stated why she didn't want the den near the Creek itself. It stilled him and he felt a sudden sense of fear strike through him at the thought of a small child tumbling headfirst into the water and swept away. He swallowed thickly, looking at her with a slightly frightened expression. "I never thought of that, it being a hazard. You're right. We should find a place safe from it, a good distance away really."

He, of course, had been through the heart of the Creek but he'd never done so looking for a place to raise children. He hadn't the faintest idea of where to begin, and was suddenly wondering about all the other hazards to young life that he hadn't considered. "You lead the way, Spring. I'll dig it whereever you want it. Straight into the rock if I need to. Though I can't promise I'll have paws left after." He joked, but his intentions were serious. He'd put the den wherever she wanted, he'd make it safe as possible for his children and for her.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
His words were a comport as he was quick to agree with her.  As he spoke she sunk a the feeling of safety next to her mate.  Never in her life had being with someone felt so right.  She only really felt the way she did with Heston.  He was her light in the darkness.

There was something she dearly needed to ask him, after having been thinking about it for a while now.  She wanted him to join her in the higher ranks of the Creek.  She wanted him too to be an Alpha.  While she had in the past been skeptical about offering that position to anyone else due to the possibility of Saena coming back and rightfully stepping up to the role of Alpha, she felt at this point that perhaps Saena would never come back.  This was her pack now anyways... she could make her own decisions now.

"Heston before we look for a den... I have something to ask of you," for a brief moment she paused, "now while I totally understand if you wish to decline my offer..." she took a deep breath, "I want you to join me as an Alpha of Silver Creek.  You  are the one that I trust most in this world, I feel safe when I'm with you.  I think you'd be a good Alpha too if you are to accept the role.  Either way though it is your choice."  Then she waited, hoping dearly that he would accept her offer.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He was attempting to wrack his brain for any spots that might please Spring as suitable den spots. It was not something he'd ever considered before, where a good place to raise his children might be, and he was woefully unprepared. Her voice drew him from his fruitless thoughts, however, and he looked to her, ears perked.

He was confused by the serious tone of her voice after the conversation they had already had. His head tilt slightly to the right and his brows creased in concern, silently urging her to go on. She hesitated further and then inhaled deeply, and by now he was well and truly confused and concerned. What, after telling him that she was pregnant could ever make her this nervous?

And then she offered him a position as alpha and his eyes widened. This too was also a meaningful thing, an important thing. He'd never lead a pack before, had never imagined that that would be something that he would ever do. She said that she thought he'd be a good alpha as well, a good father. She believed in him. It was clear she wanted him to accept, but he was nervous, and for good reason. It was a lot of responsibility to be an alpha, to lead a pack.

"I'm...I'm honored, Spring, really. I never thought that...even when you said you were pregnant, I didn't think that made me...that you would offer. You...you don't have to offer, you know that right? If this isn't something you want I am happy to be your mate and a simple pack member." He was worried she offered out of tradition, or perhaps even worry that he would be upset if she didn't. Her words of belief and of feeling comfortable and safe with him were soothing to this fear, but he wanted to reassure her himself. He hadn't been interested in her because she had a title. He would have fallen for her at any rank. 

"If you are truly offering it to me because you want it...and not out of worry or fear or anything else...then...I will accept. Nervously. Hesitantly. But I accept nonetheless. I have you in everything we do, support and protection. I can learn to lead the pack alongside you, with you. You can teach me and make me great."
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
He accepted and her whole world seemed to light up at that moment.  Finally she would have someone at her side who she could trust like no other, she had a mate who she loved so deeply that she had never know it possible to love someone like this and now... they were going to start a family together.

Their was a voice in her head though, that whispered degrading thoughts.  That this wouldn't work, something would have to go wrong now that everything felt so right... but she fought hard against that voice.  Demanding it wasn't true.  This time things would go right.  In the end though only time could tell.

"I would not rather have anyonbe but you to rule with me by my side.  Thank you for doing this for me Heston.  It truelly means a lot.  I want you at this position because you deserve it.  You earned it.  I trust you more than I have anyone else with it."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
Her words made his chest puff out, his head lift higher. His smirk quirked the corner of his lip, even as he chuckled bashfully. "I will continue to earn it everyday, Spring. You have my word. I won't disappoint you, or the pack, or our children." Her trust meant a lot to him, for he was so sensitive now about who he could and could not. He realized suddenly that his problem with Spring was not that he was worried to trust her. That had never crossed his mind as it had with other people. 

Even the idea of being so attached to her did not scare him now the same way it had. Now he was not scared of betrayal, or of trusting someone. He was now scared that somehow something outside of this would go wrong. Spring could never be the same as the woman of his past, he now just had to worry about the other people. The wolves outside of the two of them that could spell disaster for his family, as that female had.

With a fierce and startling clarity, he accepted that he loved Spring. He did not dance around the word in his mind now. He loved her, he really did. He could fear admitting it all he wanted, but it wouldn't make it any less true. She had made him feel like he had been before what had happened, but tenfold. He had never felt this way with that female, this was something more. He wanted to tell her, longed to, but decided now was not the time. He did not want his first I love you to share the conversation where he became Alpha. It needed a time of it's own. Now he simply had to find the best way to do it.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
She was glad to have him.  This time she was beginning to tell already that dispite all the discouraging thoughts that ran through her head, Heston was not Zander, he just couldn't be Zander.  He was too sweet, humble and cute.  She loved him.  She trusted him.

"Don't worry about anything.  You were born to be a leader, it's in your blood, I can see it."  She told him with a smile.  "I trust you and I assume you trust me.  No matter what happened, we have truelly found our place within this world now.  Everything will work out."  Then she reached forward to nuzzle him lovingly.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
Just throwing a quick end on thi.
His heart thud fast in his chest as he mulled over his new reality. Father to be, Alpha, and in love. It was frightening, terrifying almost. So much had changed in so little time but he still found himself more excited than scared. He looked to Spring, her warm words making him glow from within.

"I do trust you, and I believe you. Everything will work out, because this is where we are meant to be. Together. With our children, and the Creek." He leaned into her nuzzle, rumbling happily in his chest. His tail waved behind him and he buried his face in her fur for a moment, listening to the beat of her heart in her neck. Yes, things would be good. Everything would be fine.