Horizon Ridge done my hair up real big beauty queen style
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
All Welcome 
The Islands were quiet — they always were. The constant din of the ocean muffled any other sounds of life and it soon became a monotonous sense of white noise to the vivacious shewolf. She rarely saw others so she would often, but Indie missed often missed the mainland; missed flexing her toes in the dirt and breathing in the scents of the lands, so the reckless woman often found herself journeying far from home to spice up the monotony.

And now she was away from the Backwater Islands but it was raining and Indie decided that she could travel no longer. The frigid winter had broken and no more snow fell, but precipitation now came in the form of big, fat, cold raindrops [and had been coming for the past few hours]. Though her fabulous dark plumage kept her [for the most part] warm and toasty, her extremities had begun to cause her some problems. Indie’s toes had long since lost sensation amongst the cold rainfall; her wet nose and delicate ears burned at the behest of the sharp winds. The woman maintained a tall figure, but even her beanstalk limbs had to be hoisted uncomfortably high to trudge through the mud. No, this misery would not suite the lavish starlet! 

A crack of thunder made the decision to find harborage a quick one. Alarmed, the dark woman jumped and skittered quickly towards the nearest asylum — as if the lightening’s incredible voltage had manifested itself behind her and chased her, seeking her ruin. She felt just as those wolves of the Sentinels must have felt, ravaged and chased by the licking flames from the sky!  Gallop she did, stretching and heaving her body forward in an instinctive kind of fright. Indie once again ran and ran and ran until she could run no more and slowed, sides heaving from her physical exertions. Indie found a fallen tree and took asylum within a pocket created between the thick trunk and the ground. It seemed that the electric fire-monster of her imagination was no longer in pursuit of her — Indie would be safe, for now.
“what a lovely day" says the butcher as she raises her arm 
55 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Salish and her siblings had not yet crossed to the islands yet, but they were well on their way. They had separated, supposedly for a short while, to search for prey. 

That was, until the storm broke.

Large droplets of frigid rain fell down upon the tawny-furred wolfess as she stalked the forest, nose skimming the earth. Her coat, a viable shield against the cold, grew wetter by the second, and she lifted her head, whining softly. This was just great. Though it would not impede her sense of smell to an extreme degree, the rain would not make the hunt any easier. She decided to give up on her search for prey and find her brother and sister, instead. They undoubtedly were either looking for her or for shelter, and as a few hours had passed already, she felt it would be unwise to continue wandering.

The world shook with a crack of thunder, followed shortly by a brilliant flash of light as a lightning bolt struck the ground somewhere not too far from where she stood. The she-wolf jumped, startled, emitting a high-pitched yelp. As the sound faded, she smiled to herself, remembering that as long as the lightning itself did not strike her, the thunder could do no harm. 

Just ahead, a gnarled tree rose from the sodden earth. Suspecting she might find one of her siblings huddled within, Salish broke into a run, closing the distance between herself and the tree. Nose twitching, she peeked into the crevice, finding neither her brother nor her sister, but someone else. A pair of eyes glinted in a backdrop of shadow, the woman's fur just as dark as the small space in which she hid.

Hey, spoke Salish. What're you doing in in there? Her head canted to one side. It was obvious what the ink-furred female was doing -- hiding from the rain and thunder -- but that obviously did not stop Salish from asking.
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She was not alone for long. A lone wolf soon poked its head through the foliage and asked to her purpose, as if she was completely unperturbed by the stormy and squalling conditions. The tree’s leafy, fibrous overhang did not drive out all the raindrops and her fur was still quite saturated from the deluge and the fire beasts which bedeviled her. Additionally, the air was heavy with moisture and the soggy ground was leaving her belly and limbs coated in a dark muck… okay, so it wasn’t the best shelter — but it was much better than being out there, Indie rationalized. Upon that thought, Indie tilted her head to one side, befuddled — her large, slacken ears flopping unceremoniously to the side like she were a investigative cub once more; as if wishing  one who wished to stay amongst the raindrops simply did. not. compute. 

Therefore, Indie didn’t feel the need to explain herself.  “Ahoy,” the starlet greeted, veiled by both the shadowed arboreal realm that she had chosen as her temporary auberge and her own practiced, spurious facade. A smile split upon her lips and her ivories danced against the dark.  “There’s room for two.”
55 Posts
Ooc — Killi
[table width=85%][tr][td]
Salish would be lying to herself if she thought she was not afraid and irritated by the storm. She feigned contentment when she asked the dark maiden her question, but her eagerness to join her in the dingy crawlspace betrayed her true feelings on the matter. When offered a spot, she hurried clumsily in, possibly knocking into the woman with her weight, possibly hitting her in the face with her tail. Sorry, she growled in a silly way. She turned around and faced the opening of the hidey hole, ears flopping to the side as she regarded her new friend smuggled in the dirty space alongside her.

I'm Salish, she spoke brightly and with a firm wag of her tail. What's your name? Also, I think you should know that you're very pretty. Wet and spotted with sludge though the pitch-furred female was, Salish deemed her very attractive and was not shy to inform her of this. The gold-dusted girl flashed her pearly fangs in a big, friendly smile.

[/tr][/td][/table]
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Okay, perhaps Indie had been wrong about the woman’s affinity for the rain – evinced by the alacrity in which she clamored inside the tree’s shelter. A chuckle slipped past licorice lips as she jostled herself into position, but the stranger eventually bedded down in the mud. Now that she was not the only one caked the slurried earth, Indie found that she cared much less about the unfortunate weather and their saturated milieu.

Almost immediately a compliment was offered and Indie accepted with a coy smile and appreciative tilt of her head. “Thank you,” she murmured back, her voice held quieter now that the woman was close. Wishing to return the favor without being so brazen [for Indie was forward, but she was not that forward], she continued. “But this thick pelt gets much too hot! How would I love to have a coat that resembles yours: a blanket of silk and sand.” Indie finished by leaning down and, using her onyx nose, pushed the agouti furs of Salish’s shoulders against the grain. The stranger seemed warm and friendly enough, so Indie felt comfortable in assuming she would not mind close contact.
[/td][/tr][/table]
55 Posts
Ooc — Killi

Salish's tail thudded in a lackadaisical fashion against the wall created by the gnarled roots of the tree beside her. The compliment had been returned, although in  words a much more eloquent, and much less blunt, then her own. Salish was known for her boldness, and for her tendancy to place her exact feelings out in the open. 

She offered thanks with yet another large smile. The golden she-wolf allowed the touch of the woman's snout upon her fur, or rather, she welcomed it, her heart seeming to skip a beat and her skin prickling. To be touched by such a beautiful woman, even in this platonic way, was among her favorite sensations. 

Thank you! she spoke brightly. Your fur is lovely, but I'm sure it does get hot in the summertime. I have heard that overheating is sort of a problem among darker wolves. A few of the wolves within 
Themiscrya had been black-phase individuals, complaining of the heat where lighter-furred wolves such as herself remained comfortable.

Where are you from, love? And you didn't tell me your name... said Salish with a light hearted snicker.
[/tr][/td][/table]
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Salish spoke a small anecdote about dark wolves in the summer time — and it was the truth! It was actually a shock that Indie was not a more adept swimmer, because many of the warmer months were spent wading in shallow pools and finding repose on shaded lakesides. It was the least Indie could do to mollify the oppressive heat of summertide, but the maverick could not assume such inactivity for long; for Indie was made to run hot! She found it impossible to resist the cons and swindles of the Merry-Andrews when the opportunity was proffered to her, for the pleasure that was the flutter in her heart was much greater than the pleasure of bodily comfort. Indie was the type of woman who gave and gave herself to her [hedonistic] pursuits, and gave even more when it was asked of her — albeit, it not altruistically… but she wholly gave herself  just the same.

Then, Indie felt an unfamiliar emotion — abashment. The vaudevillian had let her vanity show! In musings on her beauty [and the beauty of the one who lay beside her], she had failed to provide her name. SheIndie grinned sheepishly and tucked her chin back, lifting her shoulders and letting them fall as if to say whoops“I’m Indie. Happy to share this tree with yah, Salish.” Indie hoped that the mention of the women’s sibilant monkier would rectify herself — though her friend’s laid back demeanor made any residual disquietude evanesce into the heavy, humid air.  “Well, i’m new to the coast,” the dark woman continued, sure to answer any and all of Salish’s questions — lest she be called out, again!  “You know,” she spoke with a twist of her lips and knit of her velveteen brow, as if she had just realized something; which she had! “I’m not sure that I can say ‘i’m new’ anymore. I’ve been traveling with a group for a while… We settled on the Blackwater Islands.” With a flick of her maw, Indie signaled over her shoulder and towards where ocean met land — as if islands would be anywhere but. 

“But home… is far away, now.”
[/td][/tr][/table]
55 Posts
Ooc — Killi

"well,"  mused salish with a slight incline of her snout, "i'm grateful. it sounded like that lightning struck not too far from here." were it a random act of nature or a mocking game played by the mothers, lightning was frightening see what i did there, and potentially deadly (although, she figured it was unlikely  that a bolt would choose her to strike down upon). i only hope the storm lets up soon. i miss the sun! and it was true, the sun had not shown its lovely bright face to the world in many days. it was just rain, rain, and more rain, however this was the worst she had seen of thunder and lightning.

salish settled down to listen to Indie's tale, crouching above her lowered front legs and squinting, for there was a slight spray penetrating their hiding spot and stinging her face. her eyes, however, widened abruptly when the dark princess mentioned a group gathering on the Islands. "you know of them!" she exclaimed, albeit pointing out the obvious. "that is exactly where i'm headed. i grew up in the same place as akantha. thimescrya." oh, what a happy surprise. this obsidian beauty would share a home with her, should they both safely reach the islands.

the burning desire to pry into the business of indie's past was difficult to fight, but she kept her mouth shut, aware that the past was a sore subject for many, and guessing that this was the case for her future sister by the way she spoke of her home being far away. 

[/tr][/td][/table]
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Indie paused in both body and mind when the agouti woman’s eyes widened. Had she said something to displease the stranger? Oh, Indie hoped she hadn’t — the vaudevillian rather liked the forwardness of Salish’s mien and did not want to lose her company just yet. Indie had enjoying thinking herself a great reader her companies and she was dismayed briefly by her incompetence where this stranger was concerned. The emotion was fleeting, however, as Indie soon found that her companions astonished expression was one of joy, not acrimony.

“You don’t say?” Indie responded brightly, delighted by this turn of events. Her attraction and inclination towards this stranger had been automatic and only grew when she learned she was with the Nereides. A grin split Indie’s thickset maw and she laughed with amusement at such circumstance. “How bizarre! Out of every tree, you choose mine; that of a soon to be sister.” The last sentence fragment was accompanied with a shimmy of her shoulders, obviously proud of such a title — and happy to share it with the one beside her. 

Indie did not entertain Salish’s reservations about historical enquiries. “I would loved to see your homeland, i’ve heard such amazing things. It seems that I will never have to — I am meeting all your ladies right here!” another chuckle escaped Indie’s lips and she covered her maw with a dark paw. Behind her paw her eyes flashed with sudden intrigue. “What brought you here, Salish?”
[/td][/tr][/table]