Horizon Ridge Arsenic and Lace
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
@Pump This is so the can clear the air if that is okay I know you're away take your time with replying.

Thistle Cloud woke to find her mate already gone, most likely on patrol of the borders. He would be back soon of that much she was certain whether to stay or to check on her or to feed her she wasn't sure, but he would be there and it brought a smile to her lips. He took very good care of her almost to the point of spoiling but she wasn't complaining on the contrary she enjoyed it in a way.

She stood her sides well rounded at this point and shuffled, waddled to the den mouth and stepped out blinking as the sun assailed her eyes and face. She tilted her head and sat down out front licking her chops thinking of what to do. She could sort her herbs, she could be lazy or she could bite the bullet so to speak and call for Pump. The two of them needed to resolve some things and besides regardless of what had happened she had become fond of Pump nad she did not wish to jeopardize that relationship because of a mistake she made, however she also wanted to talk to her about some of the things that had been said about her pups.

She had all the time in the world since she was no longer administering to Kennedy at least not right now, his anger was palatable and she did not wish to be near him and he did not wish to be near her it was obvious. So with a world weary sigh she lifted her muzzle to the late morning sky and howled out for her leader to come if she had the time and speak with her.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: I will be slow for this and the next week.

Pump had had a successful but tiring scavenger hunt a day before, therefore she had devoted this morning to have a rest. She trusted Gavriil and Ragnar to keep beasts and enemies away, while she slept, and Diluculo and Kennedy scare the rest of them with their attitude to life and living in general. It was cloudy, but not too cold, therefore the wolf-dog was sleeping in a shallow dug-out hole in the ground near the fallen tree trunk she had decided to claim as her own. However - one ear always open and alert to the world around her, therefore she didn't miss Thistle's call.

It was a good thing that they weren't living to far apart from each other, because otherwise Pump would ignore it and shuffle so to make her nap more comfortable. Now not going was not an option (not that the wolf-dog cared much for being polite, she simply took her leadership very seriously), she raised from her spot, stretched and yawned and walked to Thistle's home without a haste, blinking last remnants of sleep away. "You wished to see me," Pump said, once she caught the sight of the familiar girl's figure, she went over to greet her in a wolfish manner, then retreated and sat down. Not yet fully woken up, yawning, but ready to hear out, whatever the girl had to say.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle watched as Pump came near a small drag to her, that showed her fatigue and exhaustion. "You are tired I am sorry you could have taken a nap and then came to see me it is not all that important. And it's not like I won't be here. I don't help Kennedy anymore as he basically can't stand the sight of me and he pretty much is as healed as I can make him the rest he has to do and I cant do much else I am in sort of limbo She felt bad that the leader had come to her immediately even though she was tired. She would not want to cause her leader to become to exhausted she could not do her duty.

Thistle shifted her feet and then looked at her again and spoke quietly "Pump I find that I do not know where to begin, but I would like to clear the air as best as I can. Though I do not agree with some of your rules regarded my...the pups I understand why they are there, and though I know I hvae made mistakes I do consider you a friend and I would not want to cause strife to come between us. SO I was hoping that we could perhaps talk. Thistle tilted her head and looked at her leader hoping that she would not upset her.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Thistle had a tendency to talk quite a lot and very fast, when she was nervous. Pump preferred that people spoke in straightforward language and her opinion was that, if she had taken time to collect her thoughts, she would have found a nice and brief way to express herself. Since her mind was tired, she didn't follow through everything the girl said, she sat there with her gaze fixed at some point on Thistle's cheek and added all the "aahs" and "mhms" in appropriate places.

"So talk," she shrugged, wondering, why had it taken her such a long and elaborate way to get to the matter. The sooner they were done, the sooner wolf-dog would be able to get back to sleep.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle huffed quietly she understood her Alpha was tired, but this was hard for her to speak. So she shook her head and spoke trying to form her thoughts quickly so she could allow her Alpha to go on her way for a well deserved and needed rest apparently. First are we okay Pump? You and I I mean.

She nibbled softly on her cheek thinking deeply of what else to say. "I was angry with you at the meeting Pump, but more so at myself than you. I heard your rules and I understand them, but I don't understand the whole aspect of it. She tilted an ear forward a perplexed look on her face as she continued to form her words.

I guess I am curious when you say they belong to the pack? Does that mean they cannot call me mother, that I won't have them often? or do you simply mean that they will help to care for them? Thistle was trying to think hard about everything that had been said on the day of the meeting, but her memory was a bit lacking as she had not only been so sick she hadn't been able to move, but she had also been very emotional and her hormones in an absolute upheavel.

I...th...think that's all the questions I have? Do they make sense?
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
As far as Pump was concerned she and Thistle had been on good terms all this time. Obviously, she had not been happy for the unexpected news, but you punish a person for a crime only once. After it's done, you let it pass and move on. She briefly returned to, what the girl had said about Kennedy's treatment of her, and then back to their current situation. When you looked from that perspective, it made sense, why the healer was wary and a bit uncertain of where they stood.

To be true, Pump had expected something worse than what Thistle had told her now. She didn't say anything, trying to find the best answer to her question, because this rule was pretty obvious to the wolf-dog and it was not easy to find a better explanation. "Thistle, tell me, what do you think a pack is?" she asked her, looking her calmly in the eyes, before turning her head politely away.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
As Thistle waited for Pump to answer her, her mind wandered to the other members of the pack that had been here for the meeting. She absolutely refused to speak with Kennedy about any of this as she was certain with his biting tongue and depressive moods he would say something that would cut her to the quick, though not nearly as badly as if Ragnar or Pump were to say something cruel. She would also have to seek out Gavriil and speak with him. She did not think he would hold any ill will towards her, but one could never be sure.

Thistle licked her muzzle as she thought of an answer A pack to me is a small extended family. She thought about it and decided rephrase her question. I think I need to rephrase a pack is there to help take care of pups anyway I know this, so the question i guess is how is it punishment not that I am complaining at all but they already help to care or should. Or did you simply mean that since they belonged to the pack they could not leave as you stated? Thistle was trying desperately to remember the meeting in it's entirety but she had been very sick in her own defense.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
It was probably a common trait in all of the young ones to jump to quick conclusions, without letting the older one finish the sentence. Pump was fully awake by now and without interrupting Thistle was patiently waiting, until she let the wolf-dog speak again. To her pack was a family - a few months ago the current alpha would have considered this foolish and naive, but now Pump could agree with her. Not to a full extent though. They were a group of unrelated wolves that hade recovered and fared very well after the tragedy had struck them. They had stuck together and formed bonds of mutual friendship and loyalty and thus earned equal rights and some privileges, while not forgetting that Pump was in charge.

"Then - by saying that the cubs will belong to the pack - did I say that this exclude you?" she asked her. Even though Thistle had committed a bad deed, this didn't mean that she had no rights to her children at all. She was their mother in the first place and no one could take a better care and responsibility of them then she on their first critical months. However, if she decided to leave the kids unattended, while they still were in need of her, she would be there to kill them mercifully. No question about that. "Thistle, as you are well aware, it is a common custom in most of the packs to kill all of the illict children that do not belong to alpha bloodline," Ragnar might object, but he was one of a kind.

"Therefore don't assume that the care of other packmates me included is something obvious," she went on. "This means that by being bound to the Ridge your children will have to return our favor to them," Pump pointed out. She was not particularly emotional, when it came to pack business. Practical and rational throughand through. "See it as an investment now for gaining profit in the future. Gavriil worded it out nicely - more hunters, more healers, more warriors."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle listened and though it still was a bit hard for her to grasp she got the just of it and she dipped her head. "Okay I think I understand now. She wagged her tail at Pump and spoke again softly "you said they shall not have names so shall they have numbers? She imagined her mate would call them by norse numbers, which if truth be told sounded a lot better than 1 or 2.

She decided she was done talking about the meeting and the pups she had no more questions so she shook her head and said quietly "I have no more questions Pump would you like to return to your nap? I am sorry I woke you.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"The name thing," Pump's face lit up at the mention of this. So far she had been wary at implementing anything from her birth pack, but this was a rule she liked and wanted to continue the tradition here. Whether it would work out and stick with these people, time would show. As odd and wrong the idea would seem to them, there was reasoning behind it.

"Well... it's probably tricky for you, since you have had a name, since you were born," she spoke, realizing now that the rule was not so easy to carry out as she had thought at first. "Name is something that defines you and something that you have to earn. Where I lived before, there were a lot of nameless wolves and very few, who had a name. You had to work hard, you had to prove your worth in order to choose a name for yourself."

"That first big step in transition from childhood to youth is earning your name. That's the first moment you and everyone else acknowledge your worth. The tougher, the more willing to learn and grow you are, the earlier that happens," she finished, knowing well that now she had talked a bit too long and too elaborate, but she hoped that she had made sense, "Therefore this is not a punishment this is a task. We are strong people and I want them to be strong too, to stand their ground and not cower as miserable underlings behind the backs of those, who hold the most power."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle listened and found that the rule or task was not as horrible as she had original thought. It was a matter of pride in one's self and the ability to work hard. She actually kind of liked it. She tilted her head and asked one question "Well okay say we have names picked out, we don't. But say we did would we be allowed to give them those names when they are able to get them or do they choose their own? I am merely curious and it makes sense and I kind of like it in a way. Ragnar probably would not, but maybe if she could explain it the same way that Pump just had he may accept it a little better. For much of what she just said was how his pack had been in a way.

"How old were you when you earned your name?
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"It works either way," Pump explained to Thistle, "for example, my grandma gave me my name, but she was the leader and it is a great honor." Dear, old gran, who had had a very nasty character with rare soft edges and moments of kindness and selflessness. She had survived very harsh times in her life and had made sure that every member of her family - young and old - knew the unforgiving rules of survival and "eat or be eaten" rule of the wild. Her teachings had had great influence on Pump's life and this explained a lot, why she did some things that others didn't like or find acceptable.

"Or they choose themselves," which was more common. If they had worked so hard, they had earned the right to make their first decision in life. "Me - quite young," younger than the rest, who had had the courage and drive to earn the privilege of being named.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle listened calmly It sounds as if you have much to be proud of Pump. I am glad that you are our leader. ANd she was truth be told she hadn't thought much about her mate as leader and they had only spoken of it once. Since then she nor he had brought it up. She didn't even deign to guess if he was still thinking of it, all she knew was that he was full of surprises.

For the most part Pump was a fair and kind leader though she had her rules as did all. Not many leaders would have spared the pups life and for that alone, she had earned Thistles gratitude and respect.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
That was the first time someone had said that they were glad to have Pump, therefore it surprised her and she gave Thistle a confused look. She was not used to receiving compliments, especially, when according to her, she had done nothing extraordinary, only the stuff that needed to be done. Being a leader was a job just like any other, maybe a little more demanding and meaning that you had to take responsibility not just for yourself, but for other people too.

"And you have stayed with me from the very beginning," she said. Just as she was not used to hear compliments, she also wasn't good at praising others. This didn't mean that she didn't feel gratitude - she simply didn't have the right words for them. Therefore that one sentence as simple as it sounded was Pump's way of telling that she appreciated everything Thistle had done for them.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle chuckled at the confused look she was given. Thistle was not a social wolf by any means, but she thought perhaps she had a bit more on it than even her leader did. Which made her infinitely curious. She wondered how her leader could be so closed off sometimes and then warm others. It was a confusing thing, but a story she wished she knew. Though she would never ask about it, knowing that Pump was very close lipped about her past.

I tried. She tilted her head and stretched I don't know about you Pump but I could go for a nap myself. She had suddenly got a wave of exhaustion and it frustrated her in a way she was not used to sleeping as much as she did.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Yup!" Pump also yawned - she had forgotten her own sleepiness, while they had been talking to each other. Now having been reminded of that, she felt the exhaustion creep up her limbs and bones and seep in her body. She could go to her own special spot, but then again that place was no different from this, therefore she decided to stay here. After all, while Ragnar was not in a vicinity, Thistle needed someone to keep an open eye and ear for the potential danger. Not that either Gavriil or the white beast would let it over their borders.

"I will stay here," she told and stretched out on the ground. Overcome by the sudden feeling of sheer joy and contentment, she rolled on the spot she had been lying on and sneezed few times. She lifted her head to cast one last glance at Thistle and then came to a rest.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle yawned again and nodded her head she would be glad to share her area with her leader and maybe she could count her a friend she was not sure as of yet though. Mostly only because she did not know how Pump saw her as Pump kept quiet about many things.

She voiced her thanks "Thanks With a small smile she lay down on her side no longer being able to lay on her belly much at all anymore without becoming cramped and she closed her eyes enjoying what sun could be had on her pelt while she drifted off to sleep content and happy.