Dragoncrest Cliffs Matthew 25:35
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Joining 
It had been nearly a month since she had spoken to the woman near the water. They had returned to the coast for a time, and she was relieved to watch Spring dawn over the land. And yet, her paws no longer had a direction. She felt that as they walked up the coast she was ignoring the word of Molech, ignoring the sign. She had prayed and thought on it, but was unable to spare the food to offer to her God. 

They had curved inward, moving away from the coast and into a budding field. It was there she dreamt again of that day with the woman, beside the water. The woman spoke of her home, whispered it's name and gestured to the distance much as she had before. Only this time, when she turned to her children they were gone. She spun, searching, and saw them in the stream, paddling weakly. The water picked up speed, taking them from her with a swiftness that she could not keep up with, away from the woman and her words about her home. She raced to the sea, only to find both of her children gone into it's vastness. She woke herself crying and shaking, and hugged their bodies to her.

Whether a simple nightmare, or a warning, she did not ignore it. When they rose that morning she tried to recall the directions given to her, and began the trek to lead her children to what she hoped could be their home. She told them both that she was taking them there, to the home of the stranger wolf with the long name. Elohim was overjoyed, excited to see her again and perhaps the pups she had mentioned. Lovingly, kindly, she cautioned him that they might not be accepted in, but he seemed to believe otherwise.

When they stood near the border, but not yet upon it, she stopped her little band. She paused to clean both Anatha and Elohim, taking care of their coats. It chilled and disturbed her how thin they seemed, though they had eaten far better than she. They were not yet malnourished, but she knew they were not far from it. With the image of the empty and yawning sea in her mind she raised her head to the heavens and called to Drageda's leaders, sending a silent prayer to Molech to let this be the end of their "adventure".

what do i do after all this survival?
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The call that is made sounds like it should be familiar but it is not one that has touched her ears. At least not in this form. Stiffened and tired, she searches for @Eske before she makes a move from the spot near Wildfire's den and makes her way (albeit slowly) to the origin of the call. Each step is careful so that she doesn't exert herself and the broken ribs in her chest and she looks toward her cheka every so often to see how in tuned she already as her guard.

When they near the origin, the smell seems familiar enough that her guard reduces by a fraction. She sends Eske off into the distance (though within a call's reach away) as she makes the final leg of the trip alone. If Asherah has her children with her, the last thing she wants to do is scare them with the intimidating forces of what lays behind the borders.

Thuringwethil takes a deep breath, which causes her to wince, and she chuffs softly when close enough. The woman looks thinner than the last time she'd seen her, as does the children, and her heart sinks in her chest. There is no doubt in their purpose her and she never turned them that day on the southern coast. As soft as she wants to make herself, today is different. Today, the mother comes with purpose and has set her own pride aside for what is to come. That doesn't mean she has to make it any harder on her. Her head squared above her shoulders and as much as it pulls on her body, she arches her tail up over her spine. She gives the children a fond look, a smile, before she settles on Asherah's features.

"You found your way here," she says smoothly with a little wag, hoping to remind the children of her friendliness that day several weeks ago.
Trigedasleng · Common
all that wanting, all that aching, all that capacity for love:
it never belonged to you in the first place
31 Posts
Ooc — Lia
I'll write up Asherah's reply once I see how Thur responds to the other thread. :)
He was excited when he learned they were going to Thur...Thur'nsomething's home. She had mentioned the ocean, and pups one day. He thought her home sounded nice, and fun. He was tired of this adventure, of walking so much and never sleeping in the same den. His mama was different too. She didn't smile all the way anymore. She thought he didn't notice but he did. He missed the mama that would play and laugh with them. She hadn't laughed in a long time, that's not fair.

He gently bumped Anatha as they walked along, a little pep in his step. He was sure that Thur'n would let them sleep in her home. She'd let them stay there and teach him to swim and let him play with the other pups. He was sure. It didn't occur to him that there were other things that went into the decision, other factors. It didn't occur to him that Thur'n might not even be able to allow them inside. He was too young for such bleak thoughts, and instead marched along with a smile on his mouth.

When they arrived, mama cleaned them good. He was proud of his fur again, it looked so pretty. Mama wanted them to look good for Thur'n and the other pups. He wanted to look good for them too! So they'd love him and want to keep him. After mama howled, he practically danced in place. Her voice sounded so nice, he was sure that they would want to keep them. When Thur'nsomething came walking up, he gasped in happiness, tail waving.

"Thur'n, Thur'n! Remember me?! Remember me?! We wanna live with you Thur'n! Can you teach me how to swim?" He started to rush forward but his mama knew it and reached a paw out to block him. She glanced down at him, her eyes serious but not angry. They only looked sad anymore. She shushed him, told him to wait and let her talk first. Her gaze and her tone left little room to argue, so he only nodded, dipping his head in a bashful way. He didn't want to mess anything up. Mama licked his head, so he knew he wasn't in trouble, and then he looked back to Thur'n, little tail whipping back and forth again.
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Asherah waits with her head held proudly, though not so high as to be an insult to the wolf that greets them. She doesn't want to appear like ragged beggars on someone's border, but a potential packmate, someone you want. She is relieved but surprised to see Thuringwethil come to her call. Perhaps the woman simply recognized her voice? She watches the other approach, and at the soft chuff she gives a wag of her tail, returning the gesture. Once Thuringwethil is closer, she straightens herself up, curling her tail over her back.

Asherah's surprise is complete, and she shows it openly on her face. She blinks at the woman a moment, but soon a soft smile covers her lips as she dips her head in respect. "I didn't realize," She says softly, a bit embarrassed. "That we had the luck to stumble across the leader of Drageda that day." She is struck then, by Molech's will. Eshamun found her by water at her lowest point, guided by the Many Armed God. Then Molech lead her to Thuringwethil, another leader with the power to change her life. For a moment she is dumbstruck at the blessing given to her, at the chances Molech has offered. She soon recovers with a shake of her head, knowing that just because Thuringwethil offered them a potential place that day, does mean they are accepted.

Before she can respond to the woman, Elohim is yelling out a greeting, his tail slashing through the air as fast as a blink. She can sense his excitement and quickly stops him from rushing to Thuringwethil. She makes no assumptions, and does not want him to feel comfortable if they are not to live here. Much as she would like the adventure to be at an end, she understands that sometimes there are more mouths to feed than there are spaces.

Quickly she quiets him, though her heart breaks a little as he dips his head. A gentle lick is offered to reassure him, and she sends a silent prayer that they will be accepted. She does not want to see the look in his eyes if they are sent away. She does not want to have to hide her tears from them. She isn't sure what to do or say, it's obvious why she's here, and she did not have to do this with Eshamun. She has never done it before, and though her voice starts nervously she soon gains her confidence.

"We did. My children...are not safe with only myself to look out for them. They need more family than I can give them, they deserve more. They deserve to sleep safely and soundly, to not worry about their next meal. I have done my best to make it so, but everyday is harder than the last. You would be taking in three mouths, but I would swear myself to your pack, and my children will grow to learn your ways. They would gain family, and knowledge I do not have, and so would your pack and your children, on the reverse." 

"We wish to join you, to join Drageda. I have tended to my children, and the children of others before this journey. I know of pregnancy, and child birth and child rearing. I can offer those services, and my children are yet to be molded, blank slates with so much potential." She trails off, glancing towards her children again. She won't beg the woman, not because of pride but because she doesn't believe the woman would turn them away if they had space. Whatever Thuringwethil's decision may be, Asherah knows it had a reason behind it. She doesn't want to push her luck, or guilt the other. She must also protect her family, and the children she may be having.

Asherah swallows, mouth dry. She has nothing else to say, and must wait.

1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The woman does not get a chance to speak first as an excited Elohim takes over. A lot comes out of his little body in a matter of seconds and her fondness for him is no less than it had been some weeks ago on the beach. However, he cannot rush forward as desired when he smacks into Asherah’s forearm and prevented from any physical greeting. The exchange that completes between the two makes her expression a little softer, watching as the mother takes a moment to settle the children before she acknowledges the initial statement.

Asherah still looks the same she had on the beach, albeit thinner and more tired. The expression she carries as she speaks does not betray the same sentiment. The determination to keep her children safe resonates harder with her than she thought it originally would. She knows she has changed with Wildfire at her side and her carrying their children impacts things but she treats Drageda as her child, both young and old alike, and the same determination to keep everyone alive at all costs is something she knows well.

“Drageda is home to many,” she explains though her tone does not drop from something encouraging to prevent the droop in the wolves across from her, “and I lead more than those that just live here. It is not three more mouths we have to feed, but you have more to help feed them.” Their winter was a great one for all of them and they came out well fed and well stocked and the new life spring brings will continue to feed them through the season for months to come. “We do have two pregnant woman, my mate included, and they will take priority as they are due very soon.” The others have been keeping the caches nearest to the whelping dens stocked but so are the rest of them and not a one goes by hungry.

“Come,” she offers, turning her nose as invitation to cross over into sacred land. It is theirs now, too. “I can help you find somewhere to rest.”
Trigedasleng · Common
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Thuringwethil begins to speak of her home and Asherah listens intently, searching her tone and words for any intentions. Was the speech pleasing to her? Is she convinced? Or does she mean to gently turn them away? Her expression is hopeful as she watches the woman, it would be foolish to feign neutrality when it is so far from the truth. For a moment Asherah believes that the woman is attempting to give reasons that they cannot be accepted. They are not simply three more mouths to feed, and this she understands but her heart dips deeply all the same. The completion of that sentence though causes her ears to twitch, and her eyes search the woman's face.

She speaks of pregnant women in the pack, their priority, and Asherah is so swept in by the realization that this is the end of the journey that she misses that it is the woman's mate who is pregnant. This would have brought her pause normally, confusion, but her mind is full of shock. She can be helpful here, she realizes slowly, dulled and delayed by her immense relief. She feels emotion threaten to overwhelm her as the woman turns and gestures them in, bidding them forward. Her legs shake as she takes a step, the weakness of relief. She glances away and swallows quickly, inhaling deep breaths so she does not alarm her children with tears. She moves towards the woman, nodding as she feels Elohim's eyes on her.

He is a dart, shooting past her to greet the woman and for the first time in months she is not terrified to have him so far away. She shakes away the tears as she and Anatha approach, pausing to level Thuringwethil with a still wet gaze. "Thank you." She manages, waiting for the woman to lead, accepting her place in this new home.

31 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Mama starts to talk about herself, and about him and Nattah. He puffs his chest with pride at the mention of his name, though Mama speaks so quickly and with such big words that he is confused. When Mama stops he looks to Thur'n. He knows that Mama has asked can we live here pretty please only much better, and now Thur'n has to give her answer. He wants her to say yes, and yes again. He wants to stop walking so much and to play with the puppies and swim with Thur'n.

Mama shifts beside him and seems to freeze, and he glances at her, unsure what he's missed. She hasn't said yes yet, he thinks, but she hasn't said no either. He looks back to Thur'n, watching as she turns and gestures them in, saying come. Elohim's eyes go wide and he looks at his Mama again. Come means yes, doesn't it? His tail begins to wave and he wants to run and say hi and thank you to Thur'n. He looks to Mama again and she nods but doesn't talk, and he lets out a scream of happiness and goes racing for the other woman. 

"We can be friends forever now, Thur'n!" He squeals, flying up to meet the woman and skidding to a stop by her leg. He bounces around as he looks up at her face, grinning. "You can teach me how to swim now and I can..." He stops and glances around, his voice lowers. "I can play with the secret puppies." His tail continues to wave and he dips into a play bow as he hops around her, spinning to rub against his Mama when she walks up. She says Thank you, and he agrees and starts to say it too, singing and yelling it more than saying it. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
She sees the whirlwind of emotion that passes of Asherah despite her effort to hide it. Her tired features and sunken muscles amplify every little expression that comes to pass but she does not point them out or draw attention. Elohim’s attentive eye is always there, she can tell, and so she offers a smile in hopes to lighten the situation. It is when they begin to move with her that she gives her own posture a little laxity. Elohim rushes forward to greet her in his happiness and she lowers her head to give him a gentle kiss on the cheek.

“They aren’t born yet but they will be very soon,” she assures him before she retreats a step, letting them follow along with her. She goes slowly, not wanting to leave the tired family behind, and makes the way through the redwood forest that acts as a barrier. She considers going all the way to the cavern and letting them get settled but they isn’t much need for it. The winter is beginning to pass and most days are warming now and until the mother holds up her word—not that she has much doubt—she’ll give them passage to the lake at least.

The trees give way to a clearing and Thuringwethil goes right. Her mate and Portia’s whelping dens are further to the left and the fewer disturbances she can cause, the better.

“We have a cavern we share, once you’ve earned your place here. The lake here is fresh water and I’m sure we can find a fallen tree or nook for you three to sleep,” she explains, working her way through the last set of trees to give the mother and her children some time. “I am never far away if you need me.”
Trigedasleng · Common
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
A blossom of warmth begins in Asherah's chest at Elohim's happy greeting and the response he gets from Thuringwethil. He asks about the children, and she responds that they are not yet born. Asherah casts a look over the woman's side, wondering if perhaps she is pregnant now and stretching the truth of soon to not disappoint the eager child. Asherah follows and though she looks about as they go she is too tired to truly take anything in. The area looks lovely though, and much different from Sun Mote.

The mention of a shared cave makes Asherah's ear twitch, a memory of her own den turned communal nursery floating to mind. She would enjoy it, she thinks, to live among other wolves again. Wolves who will not leave. She checks to be sure Anatha still follows, and the girl is behind her. She seems interested in this land, in Thuringwethil, though cautiously. Perhaps Asherah is projecting it with her desire to see the girl flourish, but she is unsure.

"Thank you, Thuringwethil. I'm sure we can find a place to sleep." Asherah glances away for a moment. "Are there caches that you stock or do all wolves hunt for themselves?" She is hungry, and she knows her children are. The hunger never goes, but here, she thinks, they may be able to state it once more. She wants to eat, and then she plans to sleep. She hopes that perhaps she can relax enough to drift deep, but she's not sure. "We are safe here?" The question bubbles out without her meaning it to. Are they safe from the outside? Protected by the pack? She has dialed back her emotion and moved back into business mode, mainly feeding and making sure her children are well rested.

31 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Thur'n bends to kiss his cheek and he wiggles all over with excitement, beaming at her and gently returning the gesture by licking her muzzle a few times before she can remove it from his reach. Hearing that the puppies aren't born yet does put a damper on his happiness, but not for very long. He doesn't yet realize that they won't be able to play right away, nor that they probably won't want to do the same things he does. 

Thur'n retreats a little and he and Nattah and Mama follow her. He bounds to Thur'n side again and begins to march in an exaggerated fashion beside her. His head swivels from side to side, flopping his ears about as he goes, and his tail continues to wag. Thur'n begins to talk again, more to mama but also to him too kinda. He is excited to sleep with other wolves too, to make other friends like Thur'n and smaller ones like him and Nattah too.

"And you'll teach me how to swim, too, right Thur'n?" His voice is what he imagines to be polite and not at all whiny, as he blinks up at her with large eyes. "If you teach me, I can teach the secret puppies someday." He maintains his whisper over the special words, hopping in place at the idea. His Mama mentions food though and he looks to her. His belly is empty, it was a long walk here and Mama didn't want to wait to find food. He's glad they didn't because he's excited to see Thur'n again, but he also can't wait to eat.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Her heart gives a few faster thump-thump-thumps against her ribcage when Elohim returns the gesture with excitement. Thuringwethil nods her head to his questions, knowing he’ll be excited when the water warms up enough to swim. Their lake is a good (and safer than the ocean) place to start. It has its own depths but it does not have the current or strength of the ocean that is sometimes even too strong for her.

It is when Asherah speaks again, content with the ability to find her place to rest, and Thuringwethil nods her head again. “We have caches in this area since the cavern is not far and the whelping dens are further south,” she explains. They keep their caches internal, close to where they stay themselves. The danger of it being on the outskirts has been a lesson learned without the proper border. Plus, they had a plentiful enough winter that there is more than enough to share and spring is coming, with new live all around.

The mother’s question causes her to turn and it is a few seconds before she answers but, eventually, she confirms with warmth in her voice. “You are safe here,” she tells her with an affirming smile.
Trigedasleng · Common
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Asherah nods once more, knowing that she can scent the caches out herself. She'll find her children a meal, a meal they can all get full from and then they will sleep. "We will keep our distance until we are proven." She says after a moment, glancing southward. "If...if I can be of any assistance for birth, or after, just let me know."

She meets Thuringwethil's gaze, her eyes searching and hesitant, when the woman turns at her question. She waits for the answer, curious at the pause. Finally the woman speaks, and a smile blooms across her face. Asherah smiles too, thankfully, gratefully. "Thank you." She says again, dipping her head. "We will look around and find a place to lay, and then find a cache. We are all in need of rest...it may be some time before we are back to where we should be."

31 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Elohim watches the two talk, and though he doesn't know what a cache is yet, he understands it has to do with food. He smiles as Thur'n says that they are safe, and he looks to his Mama, smiling. "Thur'n keep us safe, Mama." He imagines that he is comforting, for his friend would never let them come to harm. She is a good friend who knows many things and they can be safe here. Mama kept them safe before they came here, so it makes sense that Thur'n can too.

"Thank 'oo, Thur'n." He echoes, little tail waving again. He wasn't yet aware of the gravity of this situation, but he understands that he has made a new friend and doesn't have to walk anymore. Also, Mama is happy and Thur'n made her happy.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Asherah seems to understand the reasoning for the separation and later, she’ll get a chance to talk more about the way things are here. Still, they are safe near the lake in the redwoods, several miles away from the nearest border. Her and her children can finally rest. Even when she is assured things will be returned, Thuringwethil smiles and nods her head once more, before she dips her nose close to Elohim for one brief nudge and well-wish to get settled soon for rest.
Trigedasleng · Common