Barrow Fields i'm still alive
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
All Welcome 
anyone welcome!

[table width=85%][tr][td]

Uma swiped her pink tongue along her bloodsoaked muzzle once, then twice, effectively wiping away the worst of the blood. The result was a faint hue of pink which would disappear by nightfall. The remains of the hare she had killed lay between her front paws, a pile of red bones and brown fur. She was tired of rabbit, being that it was the only meal she had eaten during the last several weeks since she had abandoned the Mary-Andrews gang. At the same time,  the porcelain doll knew she must practise gratitude towards her full belly. It was just as likely that by this stage in her solitude, she never would have captured any prey at all. That she would not have survived this long. It was not news to her that life as a loner was markedly dangerous, and she was lucky that she still lived . 

Having eaten everything edible, Uma leaped away from the carcass, aware that it would soon draw atrocious insects and vultures. She was not about to be anywhere near these despicable  creatures once they arrived. An eerie sensation clung to her mind while she loped across the fields, the sensation of haunting. It was a feeling that she did not especially like, so she kept moving with every intention of leaving this place and continuing her search of @Indie.

[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
It had come to his attention that this land was indeed vast. Rhona had warned him - perhaps not in such a tone, but now he understood what she meant - and while the sights he saw in his travel were keenly different from all that he'd known, they were not always inherently good things. There were scents here that the man had never encountered; when he found a patch of soil marked by a raccoon's feces, a creature he had never encountered, he found the scent of it foul but chose to carry it with him. He bowed and rolled in the patch, and then later found some freshly budding flowers (of which he had also never seen before) to add to his collection. Each time something new presented itself Pendragon would investigate, or roll, or taste, until he was so overwhelmed by all the new and all the different that he was desensitized to it.

He also hoped - likely in vain - that he now wore upon him all that the land's residents wore; that he would smell like them. The man did not wish to answer any questions about the Vale to any outsider, and to keep them safe he would continue the self-imposed rituals. If the druids could see him now! A warrior, wearing the scents of flowers and fauna upon himself! They would laugh and sing, derive poetry from the tale of his survival — perhaps even feast in his name, for he was foolish and yearning for home, but it would be a good story.

In his wandering he did not reunite with Rhona as he'd anticipated, and he felt a fresh wave of loss about this. It was not so bad to be alone, he told himself. I will find her again, and we will share tales of this new land, and so he tried to ease the terror felt deep inside his soul. Pendragon did find something strange, though. As he was pushing thoughts of Rhona from his mind and seeking a new path, the scent of death hung in the air the way the brine had stung his nose; there was a bloody, fetid, delicious scent that reminded him of his own hunger.

And as he traipsed, he spied the forgotten carcass. Upon his swift approach and initial inspection, the man found that the body had been picked clean. It was small — some kind of hare? He chose to lick at the remains, pick up a clump of the fur and toss it aside, and found it still a touch warm. That could only mean someone was here. Perhaps it was Rhona? The man could not tell by scent because of his own foolishness — he could only smell the many layers of himself. But he did look around, frantic at first, eager, and saw a silhouette dashing in the distance.

Hello? he bellowed, striding over the animal remains as he picked up his own loping pace. His body was still tender from his arrival, but Pendragon would not slow until he discovered the wolf. If it were Rhona, he would be pleased. If it were anyone else — it was the perfect time to glean some understanding, for a native would have answers.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
I will be faster from now on lolz. Also sorry for this piece of shit post

The wind whistled softly in her ears as she sprinted across the field like a bat out of Hell. All was still and silent except for the ivory-furred wolfess -- that is, until an unknown voice positively roared a greeting in her direction. Feeling a tinge of irritation, Uma struggled to decide whether to stop or to keep running. However, from the noise created by the rapid footfalls of a running wolf, the pale princess realized that she was being urgently pursued, and she could not have anyone simply follow her to her destination.

Therefore, she slowed until she came to a gradual stop, taking her sweet time, for being confronted by a complete stranger was not in her list of priorities. The she-wolf looked over her shoulder, her body following until she had turned completely around. It was then that she found herself facing a beast of a male sporting a handsome agouti pelt of warm, earthen tones. Strength was something that the woman admired; in spite of her initial agitation, Uma allowed a coy smile to paint her lips (albeit a small one). And when she spoke, the voice which was usually  so musical and lovely came out hoarse from lack of recent use. 

"What do you want?" She cleared her throat and canted her head slightly, regarding him with inquisitive magenta eyes.

[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
He came upon her faster than anticipated, but she had stopped and he was going at quite the clip by the end. When she wheeled about to face him, Pendragon was struck by just how brilliant she was; not just the rugged and wild shape of her, but the pale allure of her fur. The wolves of the Vale had always been like himself - a mottled bunch, mostly agouti, the rare dark phase. Their climate and seclusion did not lead to wolves such as this female. He was intrigued - and caught within his own thoughts, realized he was staring.

I'm sorry, he blithely retorted, panting lightly behind the words. Once he'd caught his breath a heartbeat later, the man elucidated: This place is new to me. I don't know it, and wondered if you did -- are you familiar with this place? As he spoke he looked away from her, but only briefly, and as he turned his head to regard the big wide world around the pair of them, he seemed to command her attention to do the same simply with the motion of his snout. Then he rested his golden eyes upon her once more, imploring her silently for aid.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Uma was perturbed by his absent-minded staring, flicking both ears backward in a show of yet more irritation. Again, this emotion faded; unless there was something foreign clinging to her face which begged for prying eyes, she knew his staring to be a compliment. Besides, she also eyed him intently, seasoned gaze moving up and down his muscular build. 

Uma dismissed his apology with a slight shake of her head but made no comment on it. Instead, she listened to his rhetoric, her ears now cupping forward to gather his words. His motions were practiced and demanded attention, and the woman could not help but follow them whilst he looked around him, seemingly investigating their surroundings, her own face turning to look out across the pasture and, briefly, up above. 

His words were clear and honest, but she answered them with another shake of her head, this one bolder. I'm new to these lands, as well. I have no more an idea of where we are, or what's around us, than you do. I only know that this field disturbs me, and I would like to leave it. She spoke dismissively, obviously in a hurry to leave. Sorry, she added, aware that in her haste she had spoken rudely.

Is there anything else?

[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
He was dismayed by her answer, and it showed plainly upon his face. Why hide it? It was not the answer he had hoped for. What bothered him the most was her desire to distance herself. That was easily anticipated, for he was a stranger and could have all manner of motives or desires — so he did not follow her as she moved away. But then she paused and he, hopeful, tried to think of anything else he could say.

Pendragon's mind went blank at first, and he stood there looking ridiculous and trying to think while she was moving further and further away.

Finally he blurted, No, I suppose not. My apologies for... for bothering you. And then bowed away from her, turning and taking a few steps in the opposite direction until he realized how sore his body was. His haunches quaked as they had upon the beach — I am too tired, he suddenly thought, I should not have run so hard!

He had time to think now, though. To plot a new course. Perhaps to seek out Rhona if he could - or find a meal. There were too many options, and he was suddenly overwhelmed.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi

As she moved away from him, he called an apology to her. The ghost moved her narrow head to peer back at him over her shoulder, her heart thudding with sudden shame. She had dismissed him so readily, and while it was not unlike her to be blunt, she felt she had made a mistake. He was obviously befuddled, yet she had been mean to him.

Heeding the urge to return to the man, the tables turned, and it was she who pursued him. Wait, she declared, her tail beginning to wag. She caught up to him and bumped his shoulder with her snout, very briefly. Is there something specific you're looking for? asked Uma, her voice much gentler than it had been before. I could... try and help you find it. The woman offered no blatant apology, but it was clear that the words spoken of her sudden change in heart were apologetic. 

Perhaps you will find it faster with the two of us. After all, she snickered, Two minds are better than one.
[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
He could double back to the coast, to where Rhona had found him. Perhaps that path would lead to answers? Or there was the rest of the world to explore; he could go inland, scout out any families that lived in the area and appeal to them --

The woman had returned to him. Sensing his need, or maybe feeling poorly for how swiftly she had burst his bubble of hope, she was there, cutting through his thoughts. His tail raised slightly and wagged softly to and fro while his face, lit by a new and charming expression of anticipation, turned towards her upon contact.

What she spoke of made his heart jump in to his throat, because Pendragon had no clear direction to go in. Nothing to really search for, besides answers. It was his turn to speak, but the words wouldn't come at first. He didn't know what to say — but tried anyways.

I'm looking for... A place to start over, which was true, but painful to admit all the same. Maybe she was looking for the same thing - or maybe not. Pendragon thought of going in to detail: his arrival, meeting Rhona, explain the Vale despite being sworn to secrecy. In the end he only said, and maybe something to eat. I'm not sure. This place is just so.. different.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
The eagerness with which he met her again was endearing. The hope that had left his blazing yellow eyes seemed to have returned, at least from her interpretation of his demeanor. She was a bit disappointed with his vague response, hoping for something more specific. Her brow furrowed. I see, she said.

Would it be wasting her time to assist the young man? She was not sure. She wavered a moment, confused by her options. She wished to find Indie, and she worried that spending time with the male would lead her away from the dark-furred woman. Then again, as she did not know where Indie was located, any direction she traveled in could lead her closer or further away from her. Therefore, what harm could there be in helping him?

Having made up her mind, Uma spoke again. There are plenty of rabbits about. I am not hungry anymore, but I could help you hunt one, or some of them. As for starting anew... I share the same problem. Her gaze softened and warmed, ever so slightly.

​I wouldn't mind traveling together for a while. It was a bold offer, but the middle-aged woman was aware that as wolves, their chances were greater in numbers. And...Different? Different from what? She tilted her head.
[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
A thin smile crossed his face when he heard her question. There were many ways that made this place different but again, he wasn't sure what he could say. The Vale was well hidden - it was rare for anyone to find its shores or to survive the journey, and the fact he'd survived the opposite path was a miracle itself - but Pendragon still felt keenly protective of it.

I come from an island, although I do not know where it is in relation to here. We.. We didn't know there were other lands, to be honest. The druids spoke in riddles, so perhaps they had tried to tell those of the kingdom of other lands, but not so far as Pendragon could remember or understand.

If you are willing to hunt with me - I can share more, perhaps that would be a fair trade? Her company, a shared meal, in exchange for some details? He wasn't sure if it was necessary to coax her aid from her, not when the stranger woman was willing and able to help — but Pendragon had nothing else to offer.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
She was utterly perplexed by him. He seemed so lost, and perhaps a bit confused about where he found himself in his life. It was when she realized this about  him that she felt a pang of pity for the disturbed stranger. She remembered feeling the same way at several points in her life, most of them a two or three years ago, when she was his age. Now, she had lived enough to know how to roll with the punches, and yet, that was not to say she never felt lost. The emotion simply did not come about as strongly or as often as it once had. Still, she was surprised, startled even, when he said he had not known of other lands. You must have lived a very sheltered life, she guessed aloud, regarding him without expression. At least her parents had explained to her that the world was a large place, one which stretched well beyond everything that she knew.

That's kind of you, she said flatly. I appreciate it. My name is Uma, by the way. Her hunger had been satisfied already, but Uma knew better than to turn down a donated meal. If anything, she could save it for a later time. Meat remained edible for several hours, especially since the hot season had yet to arrive. 

Come. she took the lead without discussing it, for that would be a waste of time, and headed back towards the centre of the fields. The ivory she-wolf then assumed a stalker's position, her head held low, her tail extending straight back from her spine. We should be able to find something here, and soon, her voice barely above a whisper.

[/tr][/td][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
Uma. It held a strange tone to it - or perhaps it was simply the woman. She seemed to be filled with pity for him, but also a certain detachment. It was not something he was accustomed to, but he would add this to the growing list of uncertainties.

Pendragon, he introduced himself swiftly, with a duck of his head. With that they had struck an accord of sorts, and then she strode away from him — taking the lead as she desired. He followed swiftly, but his panting was greater along with his need for rest; being thrown about by the sea and then traipsing across a strange world took a lot out of him.

They were in the center of the greenway when they stopped, and he mirrored her lowered posture, keenly reminded of his training upon his home isle. In a whisper he responded, Where do you want me? If we're after hare, they would surely be more startled by you and your pale coat?
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi

Capricious as she was, it was not unusual for her opinions about someone to juggle about, both inwardly and externally. And so it was difficult for her to make up her mind about him and to treat him accordingly. 

The male gave her his name, "Pendragon," a complex name that seemed to suit him and his powerful physique. With the exchange of names complete, the hunt ensued. He followed her without protest, and together they made way back into the heart of the fields and beyond. Her nose skimmed th earth, nostrils twitching, until eventually they picked up on the scent of yet another rabbit. It was around this time that the agouti wolf behind her asked what she would have him do. Without turning around, she answered with a blunt Stay here. She lifted her head slowly and cautiously until her bubblegum eyes met the small rabbit's form, grazing peacefully several yards ahead. The wind was in their favor, blowing towards them rather than away.

I'll ambush it. Hopefully, it will run in your direction. With that, Uma stalked off to the side, giving the rabbit a wide berth until she stood behind it. The creature was now between herself and Pendragon. Inhaling deeply, the she-wolf bolted, giving chase.
[/td][/tr][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
The man nodded when given his orders; he positioned himself where he thought he had the best vantage point while also being well hidden, hunkered down, and waited. Uma slipped off to find the hare, and while Pendragon could trace her progress with his eyes, she vanished on more than one occasion as she prowled, and he felt a great swell of pride in her abilities. Simply being in the presence of her stealth was entertaining to him — but there was little time to observe when she went in for the hare.

Pendragon was tense. He was ready to spring, snap his teeth, and have a meal — but it all boiled down to a singular moment of which Uma had the final say. He waited patiently for her to  launch after the hare, or for the small creature to notice one of them.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi

uma was quite pleased with his behavior. he seemed to hold no qualms against taking orders from a stranger, and a woman, at that; he merely listened and followed directions without a word. How smart of him! He obviously knew skill and experience when he saw it.

the ivory-furred she wolf drew close, but not too close, to the hare; ganging up on the animal would not have been a wise move. indeed, such a mistake would instead encourage it to make a turn, rather than to run-hop straight ahead and into pendragon's fangs. as luck would have it, her plan worked perfectly, and so uma slowed to a halt, whilst the hare disappeared inside the tall yellow grass within the agouti male's vicinity. 

[/td][/tr][/table]
52 Posts
Ooc —
She was a skilled tactician indeed - as well trained in the art of the hunt as one of the knights of the Vale in the art of war, perhaps. It was high praise, and more than likely spurred on by Pendragon's growing hunger, but still entirely valid. Despite being so fair-toned and the moody sun finally showing its face after the long day of rain, the hare did not see the flash of white until Uma was within snapping distance; but when it realized the danger that the wolf posed, it bolted, as expected.

Pendragon watched as best he could, following the shifting figure of the hare with his eyes only at first. He was tense and ready to spring when the creature ran for cover in the tall grasses around him; then, following a tizzy of snaps, grunts, and squeals from the dense underbrush, Pendragon emerged with the hare suspended from his jaws. His tail fanned the air behind him, tall and proud, and he grinned around the meal in his mouth.

They were a good team, he had concluded. In the next instant the man was leaving cover, the hare swinging from his jaws — and then he placed it down upon the soil. Thank you Uma! He said, voice filled with good cheer, We make a mighty duo, do we not? Before I tuck in — I wish for you to take a choice morsel as thanks. Without your aid I would go hungry! Ah, but he had forgotten about their arrangement. After a beat he added, and I will answer any questions you have of me. 

It wasn't quite the same as the tales he'd sworn to tell, but Pendragon was still staunchly protective of the ways of his druidic family; he would have to be careful about how he answered anything. Then again, maybe Uma did not care for it?
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
The hidden scuffle was short lived, lasting until the man emerged from among the grasses with his prize held between his jaws. Uma all but swelled with pride, not only towards herself, but towards Pendragon, too. She continuously wagged her silken white tail, beaming. There just was nothing more satisfying than a successful hunt, especially one made in good company . 

"We are a good team," she agreed brightly, her demeanor having changed abruptly yet again, this time from solemn and businesslike to cheerful and merry. 

When offered, Uma took the hare from the dirt at Pendragon's paws and gingerly ripped off one of the hind legs. "Thank you. As I just ate,  I will save this for later." The snowy she-wolf had  mistakenly expected that before the hunt when he had promised to "share," he was talking about his meal. But it eventually dawned on her that he had spoken of sharing more about himself , not the kill they had just made. It seemed to Uma that egocentrism was the driving force behind his assumption that she wanted to know all about him. Typical ego driven male.

Under a furrowed ivory brow, Uma's lips remained sculpted into a smile of mischief and judgement Fortunately, Pendragon was correct -- she was curious about him.

"Where did you come from?" she asked.
52 Posts
Ooc —
She advanced upon his request, and tore away a haunch of meat from the middleweight hare. Then, prompted by his words, seemed to mull over what to ask of him — and settled on something that was difficult to answer. He should've expected as much. Still, Pendragon had to answer, he had given his word.

A faraway place, he said vaguely, only to elucidate a moment later while the hare's blood soaked in to the soil. My home is upon a distant island, but I know not where that island is. I call it the Vale — it has many names though — and I have a feeling I will never see it again. His breath hitched in his throat as he explained this final thing, this lack, and Pendragon tried to hide the sudden wave of sorrow as it encroached upon him by ducking towards the hare's remains, and pulling it close with his snout.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
What came first as an unsatisfying and vague answer was expanded upon quickly thereafter. Her brow remained scrunched, giving her a quizzical expression, and she became all the more intrigued as additional questions seemed to bubble to the surface. 

"How is it that you don't know where it is?" she wondered, slightly incredulous. "Was it a long journey? Did you simply lose track of where you came from?" It seemed the only likely possibility. Uma needn't have traveled an especially long distance before arriving in the Teekon Wilds, and although she could not pinpoint the exact location of the Merry-Andrews' most recent haunt, she knew approximately where it was. Therefore, the woman would have but little difficulty finding it again should she choose to return. 

"Why did you decide to come here?" He had given her free reign to bombard him with questions, and that was exactly what she planned to do... feeding that percieved "ego" of his.
52 Posts
Ooc —
The ensuing barrage of questions didn't catch him off-guard exactly, but they came at such a pace that Pendragon had a hard time keeping up; he wasn't sure what to answer and what to keep vague for the safety of the Vale. In the end he responded hastily with, I'm not -- but was cut off by the next question, to which he slurred, Not lost track of - then, with her final question of why, the man paused and waited a good minute before he gave any response whatsoever, just in case she wanted to add anything else to the list.

I woke up here, on the beach. He stated this rather flatly, as if it answered all the questions at once (and it kind of did). Then after studying her reaction, Pendragon explained: Otherwise I would not have known this land existed. The people on my island believe there is only ocean, no outside world, so to speak. I don't know where it is because... I don't know where I am now, or how I got here. But that wasn't entirely true, and Pendragon felt a small stab of guilt twist his gut. He had been doing one of the druidic rituals at the time of his uh, departure, and the nature of that ritual was sacred to the women of the isle — he could not, would not elaborate upon that point, so he did not mention it.
44 Posts
Ooc — Killi
@Pendragon I'm so sorry for the wait! Want to wrap this up soonish?

She wanted to laugh at his stuttering, but as this would have been rude Uma reigned herself in without so much as a smile. After all, she was the one who had assaulted him with so many questions, firing at him before he could answer, and therefore laughing at him seemed overly unfair and cruel. Her brows, however, lifted as he told his story, and then as he finished, they furrowed whilst Uma tilted  her head. Her angular face held a somewhat dazed expression. She did not know quite what to say.

"That's such an interesting story..." She said, and there was no hint of mocking in her voice, instead sounding genuinely curious and intrigued. "They -- your people -- did not believe in a world outside of their own island...?"