Swiftcurrent Creek Mirror
ís & steinn ♔ hjarta & sál
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
For anyone! Gotta get myself active again.

Their den was empty. It was not something Njal expected to find in the early afternoon as he looped back upon his own trail. He ducked his head inside to check, knowing by the lack of Tuwawi's scent that she was out on patrol or doing some other work, but resistant to her absence. A burning sensation rose up in the pit of his stomach, something that spread through other parts of him as well - but it died down as soon as the darkness of the den met his eyes; a few moments of adjustment to the dark, and he knew for certain that she wasn't around. The man huffed as he withdrew, hungry for her. Njal turned and began to wander - somewhat aimlessly - around the mouth of the den; spiralling between the trees that stood as guards nearby, and onward to the edge of the creek. He'd have to find another use for this energy which imbibed him - but from his standpoint upon the mire, there was nothing of interest.
Tempt the devil with an Angel's grace.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Gonna throw jace in her does Njal know he talked to his wife and apologized to him through her?

Jace saw the warden of the creek loping along and wondered what he was doing out and about. He figured given the time he had probably already managed to do a border patrol. He chuffed at him as he loped up.

Hi Njal. Nice day isn't it. Jace then stopped nearby wondering if the other would stop moving or if he would have to jog to catch up. He was trying to take it easy for his shoulder to heal up again from the wolves that attacked and tore Bones from the very center of their pack.
I am more easily attainable for threads now. But please do bear in mind that I have three children under the age of five at home. And they do take up a lot of my time.
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Yeah, I assume they had time together since they sleep in the same den at night. ;)

He had hardly been standing there long before a familiar face popped in to view, a shadow that showed deference and spoke with a pleasant tone. Njal gave a nod to the boy as he approached, ears cupping the air and Jace's words as he spoke them. It was... Mostly a nice day. Just another day, really. But the man didn't voice this; his eyes caught upon the other wolf's flesh wound briefly, and with a furrowed brow Njal drew closer so he could inspect it. With his nose drifting over the area of Jace's fur he inhaled the scent of blood, but avoided touching it outright; that would do no good for the healing wound, even the warden knew that much. "When did this happen?" he queried, before catching himself upon the thought of Bones - for the news had reached him quickly of her abduction, but not specifics. He bristled and took on a protective air about him. "So Bones is gone then." I should have been there.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace tried to be optimistic most of the time. proving thus with his comment referring to the weather. Jace saw Njal moving closer and he froze just so he wouldn't bump the other swarthy male before him. the air that whispered across the healing wound both tickled and stung so he winced slightly but it was not so bad.

He heard the question and ears went back as he thought about that dreadful night. the blood soaked ground, the howls and growls and snarls tinged with pain and fear and anger. I originally got it when the coyotes came near. I reopened it in the fray. Yes they got her. the last words tinged with slight sadness and regret. Regret that he hadn't been able to save her and fearing the unknown she could be dead or tourtured,

He didn't hold it against the other for not being there his den was a little further from where it had happened and for good reason of course. and even if he had been there he was unsure if it would have made a difference.
I am more easily attainable for threads now. But please do bear in mind that I have three children under the age of five at home. And they do take up a lot of my time.
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
It bothered him that, as a warden and so-called protector of the creek, one of their subordinates had been stolen away. Such actions were barbaric; they reminded Njal of the days in the high north, where all manner of bestial behavior was accepted. In this more southern place he had never encountered a group so fiendish as the beasts of Tortuga. The epsilon thought, perhaps naively, that such practices were too old to have survived in this day and age. With Jace's explanation quietly falling upon his ears, Njal barely showed any kind of attentiveness. He was listening but he was doing so as a brooding mountain, taking the information without much to say in return. The man's gaze shifted to Jace's forlorn expression and suddenly he felt the need to comfort, even though Njal felt the pointlessness of his own words, "It was not your fault she was taken." He rumbled, his voice sounding detached and oddly calm. "I hear many fought for her safety. You should be proud that your brethren are so protective of one another."

Still, Njal couldn't shake the thought of his absence. It would not have changed much, but he felt a great need to taste the blood of these hounds which had imposed their pathetic will upon poor Bones. He tried to relax in the presence of Jace. Their previous encounter had enlightened Njal to how sensitive the shadow was - not to mention the little conversation he had with his wife, wherein Tuwawi had explained the boy's apology. He did not bring it up, however, such thoughts lingered in his mind. "Do you know if Fox plans to seek out these Tortuga wolves? To perhaps fight for Bones' freedom? I would willingly chase after them."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace was unsure if the undemonstrative stoic male in front of him was listening. he thought perhaps he was while at the same time warring and brooding with himself on the inside. Jace could accept that as he too often did the same thing. Jace himself did not understand the heathenous and rather fool hardy actions of the tortuga wolves. Here in this place first the coyotes were the first time the youth had dealt with tragedy, violence and death it was a learning experience for him. one he was still struggling to wade through. Many of us did Bazi, Ferdie and myself killed for it, but it didn't matter in the end. A cold ice steeped into the youths eyes for a moment he would do it again if needed.

Jace shook his head we chased them that night but then Fox gave up they were too fast. I do not know if she plans an assault or not. There is a tortuga wolf here in our lands Fox took him as a prisoner of sorts he might know where she is. (keeping that vague as thread ongoing u could prob even jump in)
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Jace did not seem too damaged by the events, which was good. If things were heating up around the creek then they would need more able-bodied warriors; so far, Njal was pleased by the persistence of strength within their ranks. Soon enough there would be more mouths to feed. It helped to ease his mind that there were so many strong wolves here; more importantly, Njal's children would grow up to be just as powerful. For the time being though, Tuwawi was growing heavier and heavier. The more they were attacked, the more Njal wanted to go out and raid - be it Tortuga or maybe even Silvertip, if the mindlessness of their subordinates persisted.

Mention of a Tortuga wolf within their own ranks made Njal's brow crease a second time; he looked completely disgruntled by this, and gave a small snort. "They would have to be a prisoner. I cannot imagine why Fox would permit a wolf from a rival group in to our ranks unfettered." This news riled him somewhat; the man's tail bristled a bit as he lashed it to and fro, but eventually the appendage settled and he began to walk - overflowing with energy, still. With a small motion of his head Njal invited Jace to walk with him - and they headed towards the heart of the territory. "We will need to step up our border patrols. There are too many things happening around these lands, and it must be safe for my wife." he flashed a stern look upon Jace and caught his eye, and while the irritation was not directed at the boy, it was hard for Njal to keep himself utterly calmed at this point. "Perhaps it is time to teach Ferdie how to fight - and any others which lack the ability."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace had yet to really dwell on the situation or the battle or anything really. So in retrospect he couldn't say he was fine until he did that. Jace hadn't seen Tuwawi as of late so he did not knoe she was heavy with child yet. Jace was noticing that there were more and more encroachments on their borders and he wondered why but didn't voice the question.

Jace spoke quietly she told him a wolf for a wolf they took one of ours we would take one of theirs. he was one that wasn't fighting that night he wasn't defending though either he was just there. Jace followed along listening he did not miss the stern look he recieved not that he could blame Njal after all it was his mate who was pregnant. He nodded in affirmation of the command he would work harder for the warden and his wife. Jace spoke again ferdie knows how to fight I believe he just prefers not to. my father taught me he was a warrior so I can help teach if I am needed.
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Just there?

Njal snorted at this too. The prisoner's lack of action did not mean anything to him; he was there, and that was enough. Instead of standing and watching things happen he could have helped the creek - inaction was an action too, after all. But there was nothing that could be said now. Bones was missing, that was that.

"I have never seen Ferdie fight," he remarked coolly, glancing at their surroundings as if the man in question was lurking nearby; it was possible, but Njal didn't see or sense him. If Ferdie's fighting skills were as weak as his fishing, then he would need some training regardless. A part of Njal thought this quite bitterly, as Ferdie had recently advanced beyond him in rank. That he had been outdone by someone as passive as Ferdie -- no, jealousy would not help the situation.

"Regardless, we need every able wolf. He cannot be squeamish if it means protecting our family from the likes of rogues." Njal paused in his walk and peered across the grass, towards the creek that now flowed so swiftly beyond. "How many more wolves have joined the ranks? We will need to train them as well."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace was torn in regards to the new tortuga wolf he thought he could've done more as well but he also didn't really do anything so that neither spoke against him or for him. Jace nodded his head he wasn't certain that Ferdie could fight he was assuming however as of late he had been rather aggressive almost to aggressive it worried Jace.

Jace titled his head frowning as he thought. I believe 7 have joined the ranks though that counts the tortuga wolf and Nightingale she is an able fisher and aspiring healer but she couldn't fight she is first and foremost a puppy and blind in one eye. I don't think we should train cutthroat yet either unless someone is with him he maybe with us now but he still is from tortuga.
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
"Cutthroat." How odd, that name. Perhaps it was a warning to his character - either way, Njal would not trust him as readily as the others. He made a mental note, reminding himself to seek out Fox and perhaps this seedy character to figure out what was to be done about the situation. The other name was stored away as well, but with less interest. A yearling could be of use, but not a faulty one, as grim as that thought may have been. "Alright. I will find the others and meet with them, find their strengths. If they cannot fight, then they can heal those that do. Or hunt, since our numbers are greater."

That was that, then. Njal gave a brisk nod to Jace - signifying that he was done speaking with him. However, that wasn't quite true. "Thank you for the information. I will start my next patrol now - perhaps find the newest recruits and introduce myself." He took a few steps and paused, adding one final thought: "You did well in defending Bones, even if we lost her. Feel proud of your abilities Jace."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace listened he knew Njal was better suited to talk to Fox than he was about Cutthroat. He nodded his head Nightingale was not the strongest wolf but she could fish for the pack she was fairly good at it and once she was trained she would do well as a healer and her legs were powerful as was her voice.

Jace gave a half a smile "Thank you Sir. he dipped his head and he loped in the opposite direction to Njal to busy in his own thoughts to think much on the stoic warrior warden he had spoken too.

Fades Jace.
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Exit Njal!

With Jace headed in one direction, Njal chose to follow the river. He trailed it with his head low, nose checking patches of dirt for new scents and old - seeking Fox and any strangers to the pack. Before long he reached the horizon, vanishing in to the light while Jace vanished in to the shadow opposite.