Hideaway Strath queen of crows
as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Joining 
owo

Her arrival in the Teekons was nothing more than happenstance—her feet picked a direction and it was here she ended up. It was a blessed thing that she was not immediately accosted by any residents, because it gave her time to settle in, breathe, and take stock of her situation for the first time in weeks. The unfortunate events at Raven's Crown had taken a great deal out of her, physically and emotionally (to her great surprise). An annual Spring Celebration turned into a trial and, finally, execution of one of her beloved students and granddaughters. Normally she would accept such things with a cold indifference—Elisara had broken one of their laws, of course, but the injustice of it all was too much for the aging woman to bear. The actions she took as a result were unforgiveable, and now she found herself alone and entirely without.

But Amphitere was, above all, a survivor. She spent the grand majority of her adult life navigating the complex social structures of Raven's Crown to achieve great things for herself, and her family, but it did not dampen her natural instincts. In fact, her elevated status had given her the space to experiment and wander without the scrutinizing eye of the Council upon her. She was more at home here in the wilds than she had ever been in the cushy caverns of the peak, but her aging body did not lend itself to the life of a loner. She was not large enough to take down game by herself, nor was she as hale as she'd been in her youth. 

So it led her here. 

The pale woman stood upon the brink of a claimed territory—the pungent scent of urine and musk invading her nostrils and striking up a bold red flag in her mind. Stay out, it said, and so she obeyed. But she did not leave for her interest was piqued. The need to survive was a constant now, and it was worth the effort to investigate this pack and see just what sort of wolves claimed this secluded hovel as their own. She threw her muzzle skyward and sent a lonely song into the air—I am here, she sang, I wish to meet with you!
See, the moon is rising!
She has come to claim the heavens for her own. 
[Image: naturalist.gif] 0/5 [Image: caretaker.gif] 0/5
you ain't seen nothing like me yet
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
Hiya! 

With Lotte still out of commission Hemlock was particularly protective of the Strath and its areas. Without passing by their territory it would be impossible to get into the morass and so Hemlock had been reaffirming the borders often. Arturo had much to do, and Hemlock was taking her responsibilities as guardian to Sirius as Sirius-ly as she could. It made for a difficult work life balance but still, she wasn't going to relent. When the cry sounded at the borders Hemlock had instructed her little ward to stay in the den where it was nice and safe. 

The red wolf's path cut her through the pack lands, using her speed to make it to the edge of their land as quickly as she could. Her ears cupped to hear the woman, stance firm as a higher ranked wolf of Teaghlaigh. "Hello," Hemlock offered, not providing the name nor her own - not at first. If the woman merely wanted to meet she would be more tight lipped... If she wanted something more than a hello, she'd open up some. 

available for naturalist and medical threads just tag her!
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.

[Image: naturalist_master.gif] 12/20
he's raised on the edge of the devil's backbone
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
:D

[table width=85%][tr][td]
Ceannasach is patrolling when the howl rises from the secluded mouth of the Strath. He thinks of the last stranger to call him to the edge of Teaghlaigh’s claim. It only serves to remind him that his work of settling into the Hinterlands is far from over. While terms are uncertain with Silver Creek he has yet to go to Golden Glade to at least strike some sort of neutrality with them. The gangster wants to be clear on a single thing: he wants no trouble. He has babes to help raise and a pack to lead. He has no time nor interest in starting or finishing a war. He makes his way to her, regardless, because she has announced her presence and the guise of gentleman is not one easily forsaken. Not when he craves old-fashioned decalogue.

He appears on the scene and is unsurprised that his fiery, twin sun gaze touches upon Hemlock’s fire-kissed pelage first. He is grateful for her efforts, for all that she has done and continues to do for Teaghlaigh. For him. He has no red herring anymore — as the first ended tragically and the second was nothing short of a nightmarish mess that he is still cleaning up — but the gangster takes up position beside Hemlock, neutral as his fiery gaze assesses the platinum blonde woman before him, drawing in her scent through flared, leathery nostrils. She is a year or two his elder he roughly estimates but he scents no sign of illness upon her, nor any other scents. She is lone. This does not immediately stifle his weariness, however. He will not lower his guard again, not so that another can stab him in the back when he least expects it. So he looks to the stranger upon his borders and speaks “What brings you to these borders, stranger?” the deep, smoky timbre of his voice quiet — like the deceptive gentle rumbling of distant thunder — and authoritative in it's nature.
[/td][/tr][/table]
wreathed in iron and in fire
i bare my bloody teeth
and only pity makes my strike so clean
as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
<3!!!

To her pleasure, she is not left waiting long.

The first to arrive is a flame-licked she-wolf with an intense green stare. She held herself with authority which bespoke of her status. Amphitere looked her over with subtle flicks of her gaze, but not in an unkind manner. It was clear she was only wanting to paint a clear picture in her memory of the moment, and mark down the characteristic features of the she-wolf should they meet again. A lazy smile uncurled across her lips, but before she could greet the pack wolf proper (submission and all), another made his appearance.

He, much like the first, held himself proud but his gaze was queerly neutral as he raked it across her body, probing for any signs of illness or malcontent. Amphitere remains staunch for he apparently finds no fault in her presence here. She splays her ears at the commanding tone of his alluring timbre and crouches submissively, though the smile upon her lips becomes slightly keen. "Certainly not to banter idly." She remarks with a wave of her tail to indicate it was all in good humor. Amphitere creeps forward and bows her head to them both. "A home. Or, at least, a place to rest in return for service if that is all you have to offer now." She couldn't, and wouldn't, claim to know they had room but she could only hope for the best. If their best was giving her a place to recover before continuing further into the Wilds, she would not spit at the oppertunity.
See, the moon is rising!
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
Before they properly got into things Arturo joined them and Hemlock adjusted herself accordingly. She was still overly cautious, uncertain if he'd want to project himself as his status entitled and to claim ownership of Teaghlaigh immediately to a stranger. They had been a secretive sort for much of her time there and with the way that things had been recently she felt it was even more important to reserve their judgement. Allowing someone into their home and Family would mean that it opened them up to another loss. 

"What services can you provide?" Hemlock as curiously, exchanging a brief glance with Arturo. They could exchange pleasantries and fuss over one another later, but, for now, it was all business. Hemlock knew that her outlook was colder than it had been but she would not break and run the risk of letting something happen on her watch. She owed it to Arturo, to Lotte who could not be present at her borders, to stand proudly and do a proper job.

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.

630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
The stranger remarks in good humor and though it works to lighten the mood Ceannasach does not even crack a smile. Jovial is not a term that was likely to ever be uttered in the same sentence as Arturo but the coywolf was very much austere and grave; he had to be. The strange speaks of a home and Ceannasach thinks that it is something that Teaghlaigh can offer her if she is willing. Willing to pledge her loyalty, willing to obey the laws and put The Family first; but even if she manages to impress she will be Comhlach until she completes the tasks that he will set for her. He sees the carelessness he had allowed while he’d suspended the rigorous ritual to become an official apart of the Family. Despite that it had not been Comhlach’s that had stabbed him repeatedly in his back while it was turned to them, blind in his trust and faith. He does not hold the Family in it’s entirety at fault but the events that occurred changed him. He can see it. Already he bears the brand of tyrant so why not give cause to be called such? Hemlock inquires what she can offer Teaghlaigh and the gangster’s ears cup forth atop his crown to catch the older woman’s words, eager to hear what she she is willing to offer them.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Sorry for the delay! I was downtown, and then at Sakuracon the last two days (unexpectedly). <3

Truth be told, she wasn't expecting any sort of heartfelt reaction to her passive jest. It was simply good manners to present oneself in a way that is both endearing, and empathetic. And because she could not quite ascertain just what sort of personalities these two bore, she employed the neutral route—demure, friendly, and responsive. Still, her eyes fluttered—first over to the masked ravenwolf, and then to the sunny she-wolf with the forest-green eyes. Amphitere could not make heads or tails of who was dominant over who between the pair, so she gave ample attention to both. 

The question was a typical one. She'd heard it spoken many times in court; when the poor peasants and vagabonds sought an audience with the High King and Queen. It was a way to filter the chaff from the harvest. "I was once a priestess trained in the healing arts but as my body ages and bones tire, my current interests have shifted towards the natural world. I can identify what plants will harm and what will help, or how to prepare unusually dangerous ingredients for various uses, both for good and ill." She explained, looking between the two as she communicated with the practiced ease of a silver-blooded mistress. "The stars also hold secrets. Ones that I can decipher with some certainty, though the celestial bodies are an enigma and never completely forthcoming with the answers we mortals seek."

"And, of course, I can hunt, fight, and follow just as any wolvenkind should."
See, the moon is rising!
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
Of course the stranger had no way of knowing that their terse, closed demeanor provided the only sort refuge that they could count on. They had made mistakes - both of them, both large, separate mistakes, and now they had to grow and learn from it. It was the only option. Hemlock could not dwell on what had been done; Palisander had perished and she had gone in a vengeful rage rather than turned to her Family as she should have. Arturo had trusted in Olive and Dakarai and they had shown no care or concern for their Family. Still the thoughts ate at her, and it might have been enough to send her away if not for Lotte and the babies. All of the babies - even down to little Sirius.

"What did you specialize in?" There is a new gleam to her eyes, the gaze critical because who would turn from healing towards something else? What was more natural than herbs and plants? Olive had deemed herself a starborne child, sidereal and ethereal as if the seraphim had molded her lovingly themselves. What foolishness that had lead her to. Or was it that she had no skills with the stars and she had misread them? Hemlock could not denounce what she did not know herself - she was still skeptical. 

"Out of curiosity - if you have a young child with a cough and persistent fever, what would you suggest for the most rapid cure?" She was overstepping her boundaries, a glance that might have been apologetic to Arturo, she had taken over the line of questioning. She was treating Sirius and he was getting better, but she wondered what the former medicine woman might suggest now. Would it be the mystic methods, or the tried and true?  

as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
The question came abruptly, and caught Amphitere by surprise (though she did her best to maintain the passive serenity of her expression). Her ears slowly twisted forward, not unkindly or out of disrespect, and she narrowed her eyes slightly as she considered how much weight her answer might bear. The glance the sun-kissed woman sent to the raven-cloaked man did not go unnoticed, either, and it gave her enough reason to consider there might be a very real problem. 

She inhaled slowly through her nose, and replied, "Raven's Crown believed that we priestess were the mortal hands of the Goddess, and that we might call upon Her Divine Forgiveness to cleanse and heal." She explained, "We did use natural remedies, but it was frowned upon unless the circumstances were dire. It was heretical of me, but I did not believe that the Divine was looking out for our sick and infirm so I sought wisdom elsewhere."

Her eyes focused on Hemlock now as her voice took on a far more clinical tone, "My suggestion is feverfew leaves if they grow here. Strip them from the stem and feed directly. It helps soothe the muscular ache from chronic cough as well. Wild sage is another option, though it is commonly found in damp areas." Amphitere lay her ears back again and continued, "For cough, steam works best but it might be hard to come by. We were lucky enough to harbor a hot spring." 
See, the moon is rising!
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
The subtle nod that Arturo gives is enough for her to take the lead; he has not rebuked her efforts and her scrutiny of anyone proclaiming themselves a healer feels deserved. They have had those who claimed to read the skies and the stars and they had almost been torn apart for it. Hemlock was not there before and it is probably for the best - she would have laid claim to dispersing them herself if she had been present. Her ears tipped forward to catch what was being said and while she could not understand how the two would coexist. That one would claim to want to heal and yet turn away the natural world's blessings. Faith and the divine had their own place but it was personal. She was the sort to refuse the suggestions of forced religion. It was a private affair what you chose to believe in. Hemlock believed in the here and now. She made a small sound of humming, as if taking the suggestion to heart although she had no springs to offer Sirius. Not that she figured she could keep the child willingly in a spring's presence long enough for it to be beneficial to him. "They are good suggestions, though I feel most of us have local remedies to the common ailments." Hemlock would expect different names for the things that few in different places; no doubt they all had similar roots.

"Did you grow up in Raven's Crown? Or did you convert?" It was a curiosity and less of an interrogation, although it would tell her much, too. If she had grown up in the Crown it might leave her to explore for the first time and stretch her legs - but she seemed far past the point of her first foray into the world. If she had come into the pack and converted to its ways why would she choose to leave? Hemlock had risen in her natal tribe but once they had held their Mitexi she had scattered to find her place in the world. That place was here, in Teaghlaigh. She knew that. "I realize I did not catch your name, stranger." She had no asked her, after all, and instead had jumped right to business. She'd have to find the fine line between protecting her pack and being social

as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Amphitere felt as if she'd failed some sort of test, but it didn't cause her any measure of anxiety. She answered to the best of her ability, and the best was common knowledge at best. Her understanding of natural medicine was still rudimentary at best, and everything she'd learned was from various travelers or vagabonds. It certainly wasn't something she'd managed to master what with the watchful eyes of the guardians on her whenever they dared. Navigating Raven's Crown and pursuing her own interests was difficult at best, but a political nightmare at worst. 

Unfortunately, her answer yielded no eureka moment for the other woman, and she could only bow her head with sympathy. The Divine would not help this boy no more than they helped her nephew, or his mother, so she simply didn't offer. They were not altruistic to their devotees, why would they lend Their aid to a stranger? 

"I was born there." she answered demurely, silently thankful for the topic change. "Not all of our number become Priestess, but it was expected of me due to my lineage." She explained in the simplest way she knew. There was more to it than that, but it was not worth the breath to delve further into the fine details unless she specifically asked. A tranquil smile tugged at her lips, and she closed her eyes as she bowed her head again, "Amphitere Ravenswood, my lady. though I would much prefer to call you by your chosen designation rather than what most default to." She remarked in kind—be it a name, a title, or simply lady. Amphitere was not picky.
See, the moon is rising!
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
all too brief response from the tattoo parlor.... Anxiety is spiked but so is excitement!

Hemlock could understand expectations. Thankfully she had been raised in Awenasa and her passions for plants and healing had been right at home. These were her families specialties, after all, and while her brother had done his part by protecting the borders and keeping their tribe safe it wasn't what the majority followed. "My tribe followed two paths - our protectors, and our healers. It was an interesting dynamic, with those who were not proficient in either filling in the baser tasks." Hemlock was attempting to bridge the gap of strangers by provide details of her own background, rather than of Teaghlaigh. 

"I am Leifteanant, here." Hemlock stated with pride, glancing over to Arturo with a bow of her head. "He is our  Ceannasach." She stated smoothly. "We stand as one here, or we fall as one - we are a true Family. No one can put themselves above the Family and all actions are done for the sake of keeping us and ours safe. It is not to say that we are heartless or cold, just.... Wary, and protective." Hemlock would not gloss over such facts, either. She did not want to present anything but the utter truth and she not want to disclose the Alpha or his young. 

"We only have a few basic rules, and those who pledge and prove themselves are rewarded with our utmost loyalty too."  Hemlock promised. "It can be daunting, but it is worth it for the right wolf."  Hemlock grinned then, tail swaying briefly behind her, a bit more of her normal personality shining through.

as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
OOH! Did you post what you got on FB?

When the woman went on to explain her own roots, Amphitere feigned a good deal of interest (though other packs were always of interest to her from a political standpoint). The fact that she chose tribe was intriguing, but also served to put her off slightly. It implied simplicity which did not align with her impression of Hemlock thusfar. She imagined it must be the easiest way to put it—just as Raven's Crown was both a pack, and a kingdom. She nodded when Hemlock finished her explaination, but did not cut in as she soon went on to explain the groundwork of the pack she now sought to join. 

Leifteanant and Ceannasach. Both were twisters for a lest apt tongue, but Amphitere had little trouble silently moulding the words as Hemlock continued. She spoke of Family (capitalization for emphasis) and unity—the pale witch caught wind of the inclination towards violence and other back-alley acts should the circumstances require it. Simply because she did not mate the explaination with other keywords like valor, or honor. It piqued her interest even further, and the desire to probe and find the limits of just how far this family would go to protect their own was intensifying. 

Amphitere lifted her muzzle and tilted her head slightly to the right when Hemlock grinned, the neutral facade cracking to reveal the sunny girl beneath. "I wouldn't have made it this far without a bit of tribulation and strife. If you are willing to have an older woman among your ranks," she smirked, "then I would be happy to lend my strength to yours, and commit to these trials." 
See, the moon is rising!
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
Ceannasach allows Hemlock to take the lead and interview Amphitere all the while observant of both women as the exchange progresses without his intervention. In this situation, Hemlock temporarily fills the role of Red Herring though Arturo remains uncertain of how willing he is to put blind trust in another with such a critical role to The Family — a hesitation that has nothing to do with Hemlock but rather her predecessor. Silently, he evaluates her and tucks his conclusions away to mull on later unsure if he will ever seek to fill the role of Red Herring again. It is too early to tell for certainty, of course, but still the wounds are too fresh and the suspicion too deeply rooted to even really consider it. He almost interrupts Hemlock when she claims that they are not cruel and heartless, almost interjects that he can be both of those and would be those things without missing sleep at night, if it meant keeping his Family safe. He would do what he had to, at the end of the day, but stills his tongue.

Amphitere speaks that she is willing to commit to the trials of The Family and on this note Ceannasach takes a step closer, focusing his twin sun gaze upon her as he assesses her closely. “Until you earn the right to join Teaghlaigh officially you will be ranked as Comhlach, it translates in common tongue to Associate,” Ceannasach breaks his silence ready to give her the tasks that would aid her in becoming more than Comhlach. “Acquaint yourself with the Family and complete the task that the Leifteanant assigns for you and you will have earned you place among us.” Arturo gives Hemlock the job of assigning Amphitere the task for she is much more knowledgable at medicinal things and healing than the coywolf and as she has conducted most of the interview it only further makes sense in his mind to give her the privilege of it.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
yep!! - figure this is a good place to stop and then get us a new thread going

This is something that Hemlock is personally invested in. Protecting her family is a small, minor way that she can pay them back for her folly. She had not been present for them and she felt that guilt and anger every day. Hemlock gives a nod as the other woman responded, her gaze smooth as she looks to Arturo. There is a question there, a curiosity and she wonders what will come of it - would he take the chance? It was terrifying in a way to realize that this was the first of the wolves that would find them in the Strath. Every wolf had a new level of scrutiny on them; all were judged to a higher standard to make amends for the folly of trusting in Olive and Dakarai. 

They had everything and gave it up for nothing

Hemlock gave a nod when the woman was addressed as Comhlach, and Hemlock offered a polite smile. "Come then, Amphitere - I will show you around and give you a task that is suited to you." Ceannasach." She would check the children - but specifically, she wanted to see Eirlys. She was worried over the struggling cub, still. They could asses the best location to start an herbal cache, since she had devoted most of her efforts to only collecting what was presently needed. After that, she could release the newest Comhlach to the more important task of assimilating herself to the rest of the pack. 

as day to dark does turn
11 Posts
Ooc — Siro
When she accepts, the odd hybrid (who'd remained silent until this point) steps forward and takes command of the conversation. She is bade to listen, and does so in rapt silence as he passes judgement upon her. Amphitere is not surprised to learn she is not immediately considered one of the Family, for the word bears a heavy meaning—it was impossible for her to understand the weight of her responsibility to it without being tested first. So she harbors no ill will towards him, or the woman, for their hesitancy. Her family would have done the same if some low-born came crawling to their doorstep begging for the chance to rise above their station.

They are dismissed to their task, and Amphitere closes her eyes once more and bows deep to the Ceannasach—the back of her neck entirely exposed in a show of trust and devotion. When she finishes, she switches her attention back to Hemlock. Her eyes spark with mirth at the oppertunities opening themselves up to her, but her tongue remains complacient. "Thank you, Leiftennant." She replies and steps up to join the other as they depart the company of the Ceannasach.
See, the moon is rising!
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
The Fearghal monarch’s fiery, twin sun gaze slid from the newest Comhlach to Hemlock. She concedes to the task that he has given to her with grace and without fuss. Not that he truly expects Hemlock to give him trouble. She was one of the very first recruits to join with Teaghlaigh when he was building it and she has proven time after time that he can trust her; and he does trust her. His disinclination to show it on a more meaningful level was nothing against her personally and though the gangster knows it is not fair to make his wolves suffer for the mistakes of others the havoc and upset that Olive (and Dakarai) wrought upon Teaghlaigh is not something Arturo nor Teaghlaigh could afford to forget. They had to remember. They had to remember so it was not repeated by another. Ceannasach watches the pair disappear and moves on to make a quick patrol before heading back to the king sequoia to tend to his family.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth