Redhawk Caldera excuse me sir, it's seven
worlds best dad award winner
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
All Welcome 
Lagan was in a glum mood all over again. His little adventure had certainly cheered him up some, he'd met friends and gone farther than he'd ever gone before. But upon returning home he was reminded of how different home was without Liffey and Titmouse. He wondered every night if there was something he could've done to stop them from leaving, but inside he knew there was nothing. He understood that they had made the choice to leave on their own, and it wasn't his fault, but he couldn't help but feel guilty for it.

The silvery furred male lay on his back, staring up at the starry night sky. He couldn't get to sleep for some reason, so he was stargazing. Something that he had always done with Liffey. The action was comforting, but also sad. He tried to recall what she had called some of the stars. They had special names and everything, but he'd never remembered them. Now he wished that he had, because who knew when he'd be able to ask her next.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Yay!!! I wanted one of these!!

Gannet's joy in returning home had been tempered somewhat suddenly in the realization a familiar, much-anticipated face was missing.  Where was Liffey?

He had wanted to immediately ask, but something stopped him; he didn't want to ask Finley or Elwood, but instead preferred the idea of approaching Lagan.  He was the last one of Gannet's age left from the old crew.

Hesitantly Gannet approached where Lagan lay upon finding him, unsure he even wanted to ask; what if Lagan told him Liffey was gone? Gone like Peter, like Fox and Perry? Even gone like Ferret and Whip would be terrible.  

"Hey." He said quietly, stopping a bit off from the other wolf, his head lowered uncertainly.  "Where'd Liffey go?"  There was no use stretching it out.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
<3

It took Lagan a moment to recognize the figure in the pale moonlight, but he only really knew one white wolf that lived at the Caldera. The older brother of Lagan's babies, younger brother of Lagan's pal Raven, and his own cousin; Gannet. He thought for a moment about how strange it was, how they'd lost Titty and Liffey, but gained Gannet. That was the bright side of this, he supposed, and he wasn't complaining. Gannet had always been the nicest out of the older firebirds anyway.

Lagan's tail wagged lightly, until Gannet asked the question the seemed to be plaguing everyone's mind nowadays. He looked away from his cousin and sighed. She left to go join some pack with this guy Rannoch. He was nice I guess. He said with a shrug, then wondered if Gannet knew about the other missing wolf. She took Titty- I mean Titmouse with her too. But they're ok- they aren't dead I mean. They left because they wanted to, so I hope they're happy. He rambled, sort of trying to reassure himself as well as Gannet.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She left.  She wasn't dead, then, thankfully, but the idea that she'd leave with a stranger over staying with family Gannet couldn't relate to.  Who would do that?

Both she and Whip, apparently.  He frowned.  "Oh."  He was happy she was happy about it, he guessed, but not having his friend around as he'd expected took a bit of the shine from him.

"You leaving?" He had the thought and was curious.  Maybe it was a thing to do at their age?
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gannet appeared both disappointed and glad to hear that Liffey had gone. At least she wasn't dead, Lagan figured he was thinking. He had thought something similar when he was first told that she had left. Then the white furred firebird asked him if he were leaving. Lagan immediately began shaking his head, he didn't need to think to answer this one. Heck no! I'm staying right here, with my family. I mean I'll go on little trips and stuff, but I'm not running away. This is my home. He said adamantly, thinking fondly of his family and the place he'd grown up.

You? He asked, wondering if Gannet planned on leaving. He had before for a short while, but he'd come back. Did that mean that he was staying forever, or was he just visiting?
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet's reaction was almost as immediate as Lagan's.  "No," he agreed, shaking his head.  "Trips are good though."  He liked the idea of leaving, but not the idea of being gone so long again.  Living alone hadn't suited him well.

"This is home.". He looked at the familiar mountain and gave a little wag of his tail.  Man he was glad to be back, even if the family was smaller than before.  And the sentiment had been shared by at least a lot of the pack - his older sister had been thrilled, and he was also thrilled at least she had stuck around!

"Why d'you think they left? Whip, and Liffey?"  Maybe his cousin would know better, because he was at a loss.  It was hard to relate to leaving on purpose; he'd never even had the temptation.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Lagan was glad to hear that Gannet wasn't leaving either, and he spoke quickly about it, which was reassuring. This is home. Said the older boy, and Lagan nodded, glancing at his surroundings. It wasn't just his family here at the Caldera that he loved, but the Caldera itself. The rolling green, the lush forests, the ridges and valleys. It had everything, and so much to explore. It's a good home. He said with a smile, as a cool wind passed through his silver fur.

Gannet asked why Lagan thought that Whip and Liffey left. Honestly, Lagan hadn't known Whip all too well, so he couldn't tell his brother very much. I don't know why Whip left, I wasn't very close to him. But I think Liffey left because she wanted to explore, and also because she liked that guy Rannoch. I hope they'll come back one day. Both of them.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Huh.  She liked a stranger... more than them?  That seemed unlikely, but it had to be true, otherwise why would she go with him?  And if that was the case, why would she come back?  "Maybe," he said, though his tone was doubtful.  

"Exploring is fun, though." he said, changing the subject and regaining his smile.  He hadn't been whole lot of places until his recent travels, and even those had been limited, but he knew he liked to do it.  Maybe not so much alone... but either way, a change of scenery only led to interesting sights and more interesting encounters.  "You take trips?"
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Lagan was glad that Gannet changed the subject, and now instead of a topic he disliked, they were on a topic he did. He nodded in agreement, exploring was definitely fun. He asked if Lagan took trips, Lagan replied, Mhm! Loads of 'em. I've been like everywhere. I even crossed a mountain range once! His tone was excited, for he was proud of that accomplishment. His mind shifted back to what had been on the other side of that mountain, it was a young boy named Kieran Anderson or something. They'd hunted together, and Lagan had found a friend in him.

An idea popped into the Blackthorn's head, and it showed in the way his face let up. Next time I go on a trip, you shoulder totally come with. Imagine how much more fun it would be if we were traveling buddies! He chirped, his tail flopping around behind him.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mountains!!!!! That was so cool! He'd seen them on his trip with Fox, but he hadn't dared try any in the winter months he was gone.  Instinct warned him of danger with uncertain footing and lack of experience, and when Gannet's instincts called, he tended to listen.

He wriggled happily when Lagan brought up just what he'd been thinking himself only moments before - now he knew it was actually what Lagan wanted too! He hadn't even had to ask!  "Yeah!" He didn't know when it would be, but he'd look forward to it all the same!

"If they don't mind," he added, indicating Lagan's parents.  But his voice didn't lose much enthusiasm - of course it would be fine!
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gannet seemed just as excited about the scouting together idea as Lagan did, and the silver boy's tail started to go crazy. He even jumped into a play bow position, feeling playful all of a sudden. Awesome! We can go explore anywhere you want, it's gonna be so much fun! He said, his mind whirring through all the places he was yet to go. There were mountains down south as well as north, but he hadn't crossed the southern ones yet. Who knew what he and his new travel buddy would find down there.

Gannet brought up Lagan's parents, and Lagan 'pshed' through his teeth. They won't mind. They let me go by myself, so it'd only be safer if I went with a buddy. He explained, realizing then that he never really asked his parents if he could go anywhere. He'd always just... gone. Gave them a howl to let them know he was off, but that was it. Maybe next time he should ask their permission, instead of just assuming.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet mirrored his cousin and gave a few affectionate, playful nips at his cheek in happy response, elated at the thought of not adventuring alone.  He didn't mind it, per day, but his recent foray had put him off of the thought for a while.  Too lonely.

"Maybe a mountain?" He said, latching on to the place he had thrown out earlier, one he'd never seen much of.  He knew there were some nearby, so probably they would be able to do it and not be gone too long.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Gannet offered that the two explorer boys go explore a mountain. Lagan very much liked that idea, there were tons of mountains to explore, not just the ones he'd been to. He was getting more and more excited by the second, his gut was telling him to take off now! But he knew that later would be a better time. Besides, he had to actually ask for permission this time, remember Lagan?

A mountain sounds awesome! There's a ton of mountains south of here that I haven't been too, we can chart them ourselves. He said with a grin, already dreaming up all the things they might find.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
wrap this one up? <3

He'd been worried that Lagan might refuse, seeing as he'd already been and therefore might be bored with the suggestion.  Just the opposite though!  His cousin easily and enthusiastically agreed and Gannet's tail set to it again, displaying very clearly that he too was completely enthused with this plan.

Especially the prospect of charting new places by themselves.  This was what being an adult was about, wasn't it? Checking in, but being much freer in where they went.  

Excited, he galloped a few paces in a semicircle, then slapped his paws to the ground, a challenge to Lagan suddenly rising to his face.  Wanna go for a run? Without waiting for a clear answer, he took off, mouth open in a happy laugh as he did so.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
No problem, and just tell me whenever you want Lagan and Gannet to go on their mountain trip!

Now that everything was settled, Lagan found that he was too excited for words. Only a game of chase, or a good run could quench his thirst for a thrill. It seemed Gannet had a similar idea, because without another word the older boy slapped his pass on the ground and took off. Lagan barked happily then took off after him, his tongue lolling out of his mouth as he ran.