what do i do after all this survival?
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Private 
Set for tomorrow (5/23)

Once the rain began, there has been no stopping it. It has calmed from the torrential downpour to a steady drumming of rain from outside the cavern. The wind blows in streams of water if someone is too close but Thuringwethil has corralled the little family a little further back to keep them all as dry as possible. Luckily, the gloomy feeling in the air has tuckered out the three puppies at once and they remained curled up with one another to pass by the lazy day away. There is a small part of her that wants to do the same but she picks herself up and moves to the other side to where @Wildfire has settled nearby and lowers her head to give her a few licks against the side of her face.

She had not left the cavern that day and has remained relatively dry, aside from the frizz the rain has caused the air, but she settles down with a huff against the hardened ground.
Trigedasleng · Common
all that wanting, all that aching, all that capacity for love:
it never belonged to you in the first place
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire fidgeted where she sprawled on the cool stone floor, her right temple aching dully as if in memoriam. Every so often, a subtle shudder passed through her, like ice in her spine, shivering her flanks. She didn't like caves, even airy ones like Hougeda, but she liked them least of all during stormy weather. It brought back stark, panicky memories of that blustery July night when she had lost all sense of space and time. It was a wonder she and her brother hadn't gotten lost down there, entombed, never to see the light of day again.

She blinked when her mate's tongue touched her face. She turned her head to nudge the commander's cheek but did not speak. Her amber eyes traveled over the slumbering pups, then lifted in the direction of the nearest doorway. The light could hardly be called that; everything was a dark, gloomy gray. Wildfire took a breath, licked her lips a little nervously, then glanced back at Thuringwethil.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Their time together is easily strained with the birth of their children and a rocky ground they’ve started on as a family. Now, they have three healthy children thriving and made it to this point. They’re interacting with the others and soon they’ll shape the pack into their own. As she settles near to her mate, she puts her nose to her fur and settles close enough that she can rest her head on her shoulder and watch their children at the same time. They’ve been given the white picket fence and children to boot but there are things that don’t always feel right.

Rain splattering in the distance causes her eyes to feel heavy and she struggles to keep them open. It would be easy to allow slumber to come but she wants to enjoy the moment together when all three rowdy children are asleep in the classic tip of the hat to the typical tired parents. Even if it doesn’t quite fit the bill, she’ll take what she can get. “Wanna get out of here?” she says softly into her fur, half joking, though the appeal of pushing both of them out of their comfort zone, away from the children, has its temptation.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Her amber eyes narrowed quizzically at her mate's question, then she realized Thuringwethil wasn't being entirely serious. "Kind of?" she quipped softly in reply. She gazed down at the pups and was afraid to let them out of her sight during this storm. What if they somehow wandered away and became lost in the tunnels branching off Hougeda? At this thought, the Bandrona trembled hard and shook her head.

"I got lost in a cave during a storm when I was a kid. I followed Nightjar—my brother—down into the dark. Did I ever tell you that?" Wildfire paused, slanting her face away toward the exit again. "It's a miracle we found our way out." Here came that nervous licking again. "So, yeah, I'd love nothing more than to get out of here. But I don't know that I can leave them," she finished with a frown.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Thuringwethil buries her eyebrows in confusion. Not because Wildfire wanted to but it sounds like she needs to. Her ears droop back against her head as she explains the desire. She tries to remember the story, her brother’s name, but the only thing she can vaguely remember is her dislike for caves. If she had heard it before, she’d forgotten, and continuously brushed off the need to get away. She licks her dry lips and then tightens her jaws, glancing down at the children when she admits she doesn’t think she can leave them yet.

Unsure of how to answer, whether to blame faulty memory or something else, she shakes her head instead. “I knew you didn’t like them but I don’t recall why,” she says after a moment, twisting her lips in consideration. They can’t exactly move out of the cavern in that moment but she doesn’t have time to tackle that. Instead, she picks herself up and looks across the open space. “They can keep an eye on them?” she suggests after a beat, nose pointing in the direction of at least Tirgatao.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When the commander suggested their pack mates could look after the pups, protests sprang to her lips. But Wildfire pressed them closed, swallowing the words. Slowly, a little reluctantly, she climbed to her feet. She peered down at the children sprawled willy-nilly at her feet. Artaax and Blixen were breathing slow and deep. Little Robin's flanks and feet were twitching as if he were having an exciting dream. The Bandrona bent closer, tipping a large ear toward him, listening to his little huffs of breath with a smile quirking her lips.

She lifted her head after a moment and locked eyes with Thuringwethil even as she sucked in a breath. "Okay, let's do this." She glanced at Tirgatao, then back to the commander. "I don't mind a little rain if you don't. There's actually something I want to talk to you about," Wildfire admitted, taking an ever-so-sluggish first step toward the cave's mouth.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
It takes a moment but Wildfire gives in to the suggestion as she stands and examines the children, then announcing her agreeance. Thuringwethil gives her a smile, at first, as she slowly stands. A weight climbs down and sits heavy in her chest when she discovers a new motive the wipes her smile away. She looks away from her mate to hide the change in expression and calls for Tirgatao, with a brief exchange, followed by her settling near to the sleeping children for the time being. Thuringwethil turns her attention to her mate, letting her lead the way.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The Heda made no response. Wildfire proceeded toward the entrance/exit overlooking the beach and paused there, watching the rain lashing down and the choppy surf beyond. Was it wise to go meandering along the beach in these conditions? It wasn't too windy at the moment, so Wildfire gulped in another breath to brace herself and ducked out into the downpour. It wasn't as cold as she expected. It was actually sort of refreshing, especially after being cooped up in the stuffy, humid cave the past day or so.

She walked along, waiting for her senses to adjust to the new onslaught, before turning her gaze upon her mate's dark visage. Raindrops clung to her lashes as she cut right to the chase. "It's nothing bad—I don't think. I just—" The rain suddenly picked up in ferocity, drowning out Wildfire's next few words, before dying down just as rapidly. "I think I want to step down from leadership, focus on the kids for the next little while. Maybe we can talk about me resuming my position down the line, if that's what you want. But I think I could use a break for now," the young mother admitted, biting at her lip.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
It surprises her that Wildfire moves toward the back where it escapes out to the beach. The tide is rocky and angry and she’s at least thankful that there are wolves that know where they are going. When they break from the cover, out into the open, she’s soaked within a matter of seconds. Thuringwethil takes a deep breath and cradles her nose downward, turning then to see where her mate stands.

She doesn’t have to prompt the woman for information as she begins, then she doesn’t catch when a gust of wind shoots rain in their way. Thuringwethil turns her head in response to combat the storm and refocuses when it has lessened and Wildfire speaks again. It is not exactly what she’d been expecting but, to be fair, she doesn’t know what she had been expecting. Her steps to not falter but she does focus on where she’s walking to bide her some time.

“Okay,” she says without letting too much time pass. The change in their family has altered their lifestyle, though not necessarily for the worse, and it has been some time since any of them could properly focus. “If that is what you want to do, I support you.” Thuringwethil then slows to a stop, feeling her weight sink her paws into the sand a little, giving Wildfire a moment should she need it to confirm her decision.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She really wasn't sure how the commander would react. Would she be angry at Wildfire's inability to uphold her dedication to leadership? Or would she agree that the Bandrona should take some time off to focus on their children? She didn't realize she was holding her breath until Thuringwethil responded. It gushed out of her, snatched away by a sudden cut of wind, and it left Wildfire breathlessly lighter in the aftermath.

She hadn't been sure it was the right decision but now she had no doubt. She felt as if a weight had been lifted from her slight shoulders. Wildfire loved serving Drageda and thought she might like to do it again one day. But, right now, she wanted to dedicate every ounce of her time to raising their three pups into real, worthy Drakrus.

"Thank you, Thur," Wildfire breathed into her mate's ear before planting a wet smooch on the Heda's already soaked cheek. Then, feeling a giddiness bubbling up inside her despite the cruddy weather, she gave the larger, darker woman another nibble before bounding away and sinking into a playful bow. Her black tail lifted upward and lashed, cutting through the billowing curtains of rain that fell over her upward-thrust rump.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
She can see the difference right away. The world is gone from her shoulders and she has a clear view of her motive as a mother. She doubts Drageda will suffer too much with the loss of her bandrona, especially now that she’d rather ward off the rest of the world, but in her place are more able wolves up to the task of delivering messages shall the need arise. She doesn’t get much time to dwell on what she may do as Wildfire gives her a kiss on the cheek, with an enticing nibble, that causes her to set all her worry on the back burner.

Thuringwethil half chases after the fiery woman as she turns into a bow. It is only one glance up the shore, watching where it narrows off into the ocean, protecting them from all sides that she begins to move again. Instead of charging for her mate, she zooms by close enough to feel the whip of wind between them as she lay thunderous paws against wet sand to their vantage point.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The commander gave chase, though not with as much enthusiasm as Wildfire danced just out of reach. When Thuringwethil brushed past her, her brow furrowed mildly and she gazed after her before prancing in her wake and stopping when her mate stopped. Ignoring the cold wetness, she sidled up alongside the Heda, her sopping tail flicking gently to and fro and pattering against her cohort's leg on every swing.

"I think I'd like to focus on my hunting," she announced, sounding a little out of breath due to all the movement. "One day, I'll return to being more of an ambassador and ranger... but, right now, I belong with my family, as a provider." A wan smile touched her cold lips. "I've been struggling with things for a long time. But this feels right. I want to buckle down, really focus on being a mother. And a mate too." Fondly, she touched her smudged muzzle against the leader's cheekbone.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Their game of chase does not last long as Wildfire comes up close and Thuringwethil turns to greet her. Her tails waves behind her though she feels a little extra rain against her face every few ways. Her mate’s closeness causes her to lean in and close her eyes. Even though the wetness hinders cleaner affection, Thuringwethil runs her nose behind her ear quickly before she settles close.

“It will be good for them,” she confirms, leaning into the touch on her cheek. It will be good for all of them, she thinks, she feels similarly content as she had that day with Tirgatao when the rains had initially started. And us.
Trigedasleng · Common
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She bobbed her head in agreement, then verbalized her mate's very thought: "And us." She didn't feel the need to say much more beyond that. She pressed as close to Thuringwethil as was physically possibly, snuggling into her warmth (if not her dryness) and let out a sigh so deep that it came very close to knocking the wind out of her. Only it was a happy noise and, despite the downpour and the demotion, she felt lighter, airier and more purposeful than she had in ages.
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Her ears twitch when the words sound in Wildfire’s voice outside her own mind. She melts into a smile and leans into the woman, thankful for the validation. Her tail swishes back and forth as she slowly backs up. She jerks her head for direction and turns, trotting off the beach back against the curve of a cliff where a thick set of palmettos have taken residence. They are high enough to house the two of them in some places and even enough to ward off some of the rain. The wind blows, flinging remnants of water around them but they can find shelter, and time alone together for a while longer.
Trigedasleng · Common