Rising Sun Valley supernatural
we are all dust and shadows.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
All Welcome 
It was eerily silent, save for the birds chirping in the distance and the soft whisper of the wind ghosting across her pelt. Nervously, Genie glanced around, her eyes narrowed warily. She hadn't encountered a lot of wolves during her journey, and whilst those that she had talked to seemed nice enough, she had been taught and shown that many wolves had hidden intentions behind their merry facades. Hell, even her parents who promised her unconditional love had forsaken her in the end.

Huffing lowly, Genie tossed her head and snorted. Distantly, she felt the hunger gnawing in the base of her stomach, but she ignored it and instead, with some sort of dogged determination, plodded forward. Truth to be told, she didn't know where she was going; she didn't have a particular destination in mind, but she knew she should keep walking, keep going, until...well, until what exactly? Genie had dreams, desires, hopes, but she knew that they rarely would ever come true. She was never that lucky.
If you feel like you’re going to crash then accelerate more, you idiot
No matter how thorny the road is, run

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He had no reason to be out this far - not with everything going on. But perhaps that was exactly why he'd left. Khoe's temper had grown increasingly short, and though Day wanted to support her, he was getting tired of her moods.

So he was wandering, just for the day. They hadn't had any trouble with Kelina lately, and there was no need to hunt until the last deer they'd taken down was a little less fresh. Still, he felt a bit bad about wasting the day, even as he revelled in the peace of his day away from home.

He was in a good mood by the time he detected another wolf's scent - a stranger's, with no trace of pack on them. Curious, Day followed until the other came into sight, and called out in a friendly voicd: "Hey there! Fine start to summer, huh?"
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
A voice rang out sharply from behind, and Genie, startled, whipped her head around, her eyes narrowed and her muscles tense. It took a second or two before she relaxed, realising that she wasn't about to be attacked, and this wolf, from the looks of it, was friendly. But looks could be deceiving, and Genie wasn't so easily deceived. So, with a hidden sort of wariness, Genie pasted an easy smile on her lips and replied cheerfully, "Yes, I suppose so. Although, to be honest, I haven't had much experience with summers."

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day's ears quirked at her answer, his thoughts immediately racing toward the place of his birth, where Summer was just a story wolves told their pups. He trotting forward, on the edge of asking if she was from the same place, when he caught her scent once more and realized his mistake.

"You're a yearling," he stated, a bit surprised. He'd caught the scent earlier, of course, but it hadn't really registered with him until just then. Perhaps because he couldn't quite see the youth in her dark face - not from this distance. "Well, you're in for a treat. It's going to be a lush summer, since to that howling winter storm," he told her, the smile coming back into his voice. Hopefully, it wouldn't be quite as hot as last year. That'd been a bit more than he could handle.

"I'm Grayday," he added, "From over that way." His nose turned briefly in the direction he'd come, but he looked quickly back to the young stranger, hoping she would give a similar response.
What's Mine is Ours
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
Genie's ears perked up at his words, and after casting him a mild look of curiousity, she smiled softly and nodded. "Yes," she replied easily, "I was born in the summer, so I don't remember a lot about it. You'll have to forgive me for that," there was a twinkle in her honey gaze as she looked at him. "Yes, winter was particularly bad, I remember," Genie recalled, nodding seriously. Truthfully, she wasn't quite sure how to deal with the situation at hand. Talking to strangers was not her speciality. She could only hope she was doing well enough.

"Genie," the dancer introduced herself with a small smile. "I'm Genie," she added, just in case he hadn't understood. "I'm from, well, there. In that general direction," she gestured in turn to where she'd came and lifted a shoulder in a shrug. Deciding that it was wise to turn to the conversation on him instead, the chocolate girl canted her head slightly and asked, with a tone of underlying curiousity, "So, you live here now?"

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day found himself concerned all over again when he heard the girl'd been around for the terrible storm. "Did you find shelter okay then?" he queried, paternal protectiveness taking over his tongue for a moment, nevermind the fact that the storm had been over months before. And though this girl was probably older than Adeline had been when he'd felt the first stirrings of attraction toward her, the recent flood of hormones that surrounded Khoe these days made the girl seem very young in his eyes. Too young for bad winters, at least.

But he soon shook himself out of it, and tried to oblige Genie when she turned the conversation back toward him.

"Not right here, but near enough," he agreed, glancing back toward the Cuesta once more. "I'm just out for the day, trying to escape my hormonal mate for a bit. She's been a bit touchy lately," he explained, affection and mirth dancing in equal measures in his gaze. "We're about to have our first litter together, and I think we're just anxious to see them out of her."
What's Mine is Ours
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
Even though Grayday's intentions seemed genuine enough, Genie couldn't help but stay wary and tense despite how nice the male wolf seemed to be. It wasn't that she had bad experiences with other wolves, but it was just the way she was raised, and the way her own mind functioned. Trusting, relaxing around a stranger was a foreign concept to Genie, even though she tried hard for it not to be.

"Yes," Genie replied, "It wasn't that bad." Then, with a wry smile, she amended her words, "It could be worse," she said with a small laugh. Yeah, it definitely could be worse. "I made it out okay, that's what matters," the shadowed fae shrugged, canting her head slightly. Curiousity sparked - why did he seem so concerned over a stranger? He didn't know her, and she didn't know him. So, why did he seem concerned? It was a bit strange.

"Ah, I see," the corners of her mouth quirked upwards in mild amusement at Grayday's words. "Need a break, do you? My dad used to talk to us about all those times when he ran away to get some fresh air when mum was being a bit...too much." There was a fondness in her gaze which vanished a moment later when her eyes met Grayday's once more. "Don't worry. They'll be out soon." she said with a soft laugh.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day chuckeld appreciatively at Genie's anecdote. His own father hadn't said much about his wife's pregnancies, but if he knew his mother at all, she'd been just as bad. Though he'd gotten used to thinking of himself as a father - and could think of himself as little else, at this point - it was strange to realize he was now occupying the same title as his own father. Dad, leader, and head of household. When had he become a man?

"You're right," he replied, his voice warm. She was a sweet girl, and Day appreciated meeting good company. "I should get back - I've been gone long enough," he went on, glancing back toward his home. "But feel free to stop by. I have a daughter of a similar age. I know she gets lonely with only old folks for company."

He pointed his nose toward the distant hills and the silver line of the river in the distance. "We're a few hours that way. Across the river and into the hills. Maybe you'll meet the new kids, too."
What's Mine is Ours
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
A small smile graced the yearling's face when the man chuckled. It wasn't often that strangers laughed at her often well-meaning, but terrible stories, so it was nice that someone finally appreciated it. In fact, it seemed that she was so eager for great company who liked her stories that she even felt just the slightest bit of regret that Grayday had to leave and go back to his pack now. She supposed that it was only logical, given that he was a husband and had a hormonal wife full of babies in her belly but..well, it was to be expected.

Genie brightened, however, at his invitation and at his mention of a daughter. "A daughter? Is she pretty?" Oh. my. god. Why?! What is wrong with you?? She could feel heat rush up her neck, colouring her cheeks. Embarassment clouded her features and she looked down and away. "I'm so sorry. Forgive me," Genie spoke, trying not to let her humiliation show, though she was sure that by now, it was too late. "Maybe I'll stop by soon, I figured I should settle for a bit," Genie added, to attempt to cover up her mistake. "It sounds nice."

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday, being an ignorant and small-minded wolf, had no concept of homosexuality. He found Genie's question strange, to be sure, but there were very few things that would cause him to pass up the opportunity to extoll the many fine virtues of his children.

"Yeah, she's beautiful!" he said cheerfully, tail wagging as he thought about how fierce his daughter looked when she set her mind to something. In his humble opinion, there was a lot to admire about the fiery little shewolf. "Her name's Dawn, and she looks sorta like me, but prettier, and smaller, and... well, girlier," he explained, not quite sure how different he looked from Dawn, but figuring his description had worked well enough.

"Sure, come see us any time," he offered, the girl further endeared to him by her interest in meeting his daughter. "We'll be on the lookout for you. Pleasure to have met you, Genie - stay out of trouble, now."

With that, he'd turned away, hurrying back home to his cranky - but beautiful - mate.
What's Mine is Ours
192 Posts
Ooc — Chase
Thankfully, or perhaps, not-so-thankfully, Grayday did not seem to understand the implications behind her question. It was a relief, of course, but she still felt a bit sad. She didn't know why, nor did she particularly care to find out. Genie didn't want to dwell on those thoughts just yet. Instead, she allowed a small smile to grace her features as the father eagerly complimented his daughter. "She sounds.." Genie hesitated, not quite sure what else there was to say on that matter. "I mean, I look forward to meeting her."

Inside, she was dying. Thankfully, some deity from above took pity on her and after Grayday extended an invitation, he turned to leave. Genie bidded him farewell, then when he was but a silhouette in the far distance, she heaved a breath of relief and shook her head. That was enough social interaction for a day, she told herself and sat down for a little break.