Northstar Vale i'm not falling behind or running late
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Spurred by his responsibilty as the Vale's Beta, Rian cut through the territory in search of Rannoch. It had been some time since the two of them had officially conferred (aside from frequent casual conversations with Cypress), and he felt it was high time to level with the Alpha on current events. Their pack was settled and, as far as he knew, they were doing well. The caches were less full than he would have liked considering the season, but they had plenty of time to shore up the reserves before winter. More time meant more practice—he reckoned by the cold season, they'd be taking down elk with ease.

Still, he worried. He always worried. What if they lost numbers?  What if Titmouse wandered off? What if Redshank and Airi's feud intensified to a dangerous level? What if he wasn't good enough to lead and the pack caught wind of his weakness? It wasn't that he didn't trust Rannoch's judgement; that was over the second the larger male shoved his face into the dirt. But he didn't trust himself. Going from a reclusive, introverted lurker to a figurehead was... a difficult transition, and he still wasn't sure how to handle it when the others, especially Cypress, lowered their heads when he passed. All in all, Rian felt as if he was piloting a shell that walked, talked, and acted like a Beta, but lacked the heart and mind of one.

He stopped near to where Rannoch's scent was strongest and offered up a wuff. If he was with Liffey or, well, anyone, he didn't want to just invite himself into the middle of it. As he waited for a response, he stooped to sniff idly at one of the Alpha Male's recent marks.
As ruthless as it all may seem the wild cares not for the weaker beings.
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Like Rian, Rannoch had been worried about the health of their pack. Struggles, figurative sweat, and tears had gone into the formation of their formation. But, not only that, Rannoch cared deeply for the wolves who followed he and his brothers— yes, even Airi. If somebody went astray, Rannoch wouldn't know what he would do with himself. Knowing that they were out there, without the love and support of the Vale, was a thought almost too unbearable for the Alpha to carry. In a way, they had all become family in their migration, and Rannoch was dutiful to them. It was his responsibility to ensure their safety. These thoughts would often consume him in his isolation on the borders as he marked them. 

It was in the midst of one of these worried tangents as Rian's call met him, turning with his leg hitched high as he urinated. Stopping the stream of both urine and negative thoughts at the sight of his earth-colored brother, Rannoch smiled, happy to have some company. "Rian!" He greeted gaily with a lift of his chin, lowering his leg and turning— showing no indications of the worries that had haunted him just moments ago. "Whats up?"
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Unbeknownst to Rian, Rannoch was struggling with many of the same self-inflicted doubts. But if he was privy to them, he'd likely balk at the idea that the Alpha was anything but capable, dependable and, above all, steadfast. His brother had proven himself time and time again as the deserved leader of their group, and Rian would defend his throne until his body gave out and his soul returned to the world. Granted, Rian wasn't one for such flowery prose when it came to discussing such things even if the topic was broached, but he did think in such terms now and again.

Rannoch turned to greet him with a jubilant cry and, for a moment, Rian forgot his woes and allowed the warmth of his brother's tone to wash over him. To be wanted was rejuvinating to the poor boy's fragile psyche. 

He trotted over and switched his ears back to a more respectful slant before replying, "Nothing is on fire," he quipped, making light of their struggles since leaving Neverwinter. "I wanted to catch up and chat about the whole Moonspear thing which, by the way, is good. Good idea, I mean." but I'm pretty sure Charon hates me and that might be a problem. "And just, you know, everything. How you're doing, too."
As ruthless as it all may seem the wild cares not for the weaker beings.
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch smiled at his brother's remark and nodded, agreeing with what had been said. Even though his uncertainty and self-doubt plagued him, there was no denying that things were running smoothly within the walls of the Vale. In celebration of this victory, Rannoch felt light for a moment and in reaction to this, he replied accordingly. "With as much as I have been marking the borders, I would probably be able to spray any fire out," he teased gently, and his tail swayed at his lighthearted remark. 

Business soon followed after and the Alpha nodded to what had been said, agreeing upon what had been put forth. "I do as well," replied Rannoch, knowing that an alliance would be in the best interest of both parties involved. Though he wasn't sure of just how they would convince the wolves of the mountain that their allegiance would be beneficial, he knew that this was something they needed for the protection of the pack. "Have you met any of them, aside from Hydra?" asked Rannoch shortly after his initial reply, knowing that Rian had at least one ally at Moonspear. 

What followed Rian's initial point brought a softer smile to his face, and he nodded as he took a seat before his Beta. They had all been too busy in their endeavors to check up on one another, and Rannoch knew that it was long overdue. "Yeah, it's long overdue. How are you holding up?" asked the Alpha as he beckoned his head to the patch of grass at his side, silently instructing his fellow leader to take a seat beside him.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show