Redhawk Caldera Solstice Shoes
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
All Welcome 
On a sunny and warm summer afternoon Birk found a piece of antler, that bore numerous teeth marks and was so old that it held no nutritional value. From the corner of his eye he spotted a pair of fox kits disappearing in the undergrowth and deduced that this could have been their favorite toy right before he had come along and disturbed them.

"Oh, well... too bad for you," Birk said to the two, picked up the antler and carried it to his quarters, where he lied down, placed it between his paws and began gnawing on it.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I feel like it's been forever since we've had a thread! :D

Gannet had been debating the last few days on the pros and cons of heading out on a little venturing trip.  He really, reallly wanted to find Liffey, if he was being honest.  Just to say hi, at least once, and.... I dunno.  See if she was happy? They were friends, yeah?

But he wasn't sure he was ready to be off again quite yet.  There were so many interesting new faces that Gannet still, after all this time, hadn't met.  One of them, in fact, was currently gnawing on an antler as Gannet happened by.

Gannet stared at the toy with interest a moment, clearly impressed with the find, despite its well-used state.  With his characteristic brevity, however, he skipped by it and got to the real question.  "Who're you?"  There wasn't any rudeness to the tone, though it wasn't the politest of introductions either, surely.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: it must be a year or so. :D

Birk noticed the person, who was approaching him, stopped gnawing and with teeth still clasped around the antler looked at the young wolf. It was a vaguely familiar face - he probably had spotted this guy few times around here, but never had cared to go forward and make an acquaintance. He had been rather lazy in the social interaction department lately. 

Without any introduction the nameless man went straight to business and asked, who Birk was. It reminded him a little of the way Towhee had talked and made him wonder if by any chance the two were related somehow. You could not tell that from face alone. 

He let go of the antler, made sure that it was secured between his paws (in case the other wanted to have it), licked his lips, looked around, yawned and finally regarded the other with a relaxed gaze: "People know me commonly as Birk, but I sometimes like to associate myself with Ice Giants. Or... recently I thought that it would not hurt to be a tree. What about you?"
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Woah, back up.  What?  Gannet stared as the newcomer gave one of the more interesting introductions he'd ever heard, and his eyes (and smile) lit up with curiosity.  "Gannet.  What's an ice giant?"  The fellow's name took a backseat and honestly may or may not have be recalled by him in the future.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Aha... so you are one of the Bunch," Birk replied - he had noticed that all of the former alphas' children had bird-animal names. Had it been Raven or someone else, who had told him that it was family tradition to call children after the animal they looked most like. 

"Ice Giant? Well, you are looking at one now," he did not give the answer straight away, choosing rather to dance around the facts just a little longer.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
As Birk continued, Gannet started to get the sense that he was being playful, and it caused him to smile.  "You aren't giant," he said in response, but there was no accusation in the revelation.  More of a laugh, and a hope that he would reveal more about what exactly let him claim that title.

By the bunch, he assumed Birk referred to his family, but he was so used to that he failed to acknowledge beyond a quick nod of confirmation.  He was in fact of the "bunch".
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
"I beg your pardon?" Birk asked, getting to his feet and standing tall in front of Gannet. In truth he was just a bit taller and of more muscular build (now that he had finally grown out of the lanikness and awkwardness of a yearling) than the opposing party, but still - the northman had to prove a point. And the point was - how dare the other doubt his Ice Giant heritage. 

"Have you met others before to draw such erroneous conclusions, huh?" he took a bold step in Gannet's direction.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
One thing about Gannet - if he had an opinion, and he wanted to voice it or ask a question, propriety and manners rarely got in the way.  He was rarely, if ever, malicious in doing so.  He just didn't believe much in holding his tongue, or understand why someone would be offended by what seemed a simple question.

So bypassing Birk's change in demeanor, Gannet continued on without a whole lot of hesitation.  "I thought giants were big."  He cocked his head, "but you aren't that big.  Why?"
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Well, you thought wrong," Birk replied and sat down to scratch behind his ear. What was wrong with kids these days - where he came from, no one questioned words of adults. They were always right. Gannet was far from being a kid, but still - he was younger than Birk and at some point in the past and still in the present the northman had that extra year ahead of the young adult. 

"Have you ever been to the far North? Like, where it is really, really cold. So cold that..." he was about to add a bad joke about "balls freeze off", but then decided not to test his fate. The kid was smart and his next question would probably be, if his unmentionables were frozen off. "... you feel it in your bones."
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet looked at him for another moment, and then shrugged, not particularly bothered that maybe he had heard wrong when it came to giants.  You never really knew until you met one, yeah?  Though he hadn't ever expected to.  And he definitely hadn't pictured them looking like normal wolves.  Maybe somewhere else there were giants as big as trees, and this wolf was just a special sort of giant.

"No."  He'd been north, and it had been cold this winter, but he knew what Birk was talking about.  And this winter, when the snows came and he'd gotten lost, he'd actually been south.  He guessed the other wolf had, since the question was one he asked, so he didn't bother asking.  "Are there other giants there?"
427 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Plenty," Birk replied, though in truth he had not met any in person himself. He was not exactly sure that they existed, though during ice-cold, stormy nights it was not very difficult to imagine that there were tall, fury monsters making their way to the mountains through the hefty winds and snow-fall. 

"Though, I have to admit that I am on the smaller scale, but still..." he added. "Nasty things too, if you anger them."