Stone Circle The secret life of daydreams
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Sorry Graduation-in-process is taking all my time! @Nanook! Pack is welcome to meet her! Tags for visibility, I would love for Nikai and Keoni to meet Nanook! :D

Valette placed her paw on the invisible border and turned to face her sister. Valette's scent marks were replacing the one of her mate, Steady. However, his strong scent was still lingering around as he was quite keen on letting others know to back off. The charcoal female felt better now her sister was here. She hoped she would feel at home here. "Welcome to Easthollow. My pack," she spoke.

"Um, there is perhaps something you might need to know as well. I am a surrogate mom of two wolves @Nikai and @Keoni. Guess, I am much like Mother after all. Don't worry, they aren't that little anymore. I just wanted to let you know, so you wouldn't be confused when they would call me mother," she explained. Valette couldn't tell her sister that she was actually planning to have pups of her own with Steady once she was fertile. How badly she wanted them. But now, with Steady gone, she wouldn't be able to have them. Not Steady's babies at least.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
No worries, I totally understand! I just graduated this April too, and it was a very busy time. Thanks for starting! <3

Nanook had been gone for so long that most of what her sister shared came as a surprise to her. So when she mentioned the children she'd taken as her own, Nanook blinked, and added that small piece to the larger puzzle of who Desna had become. Compassionate, forgiving, a mate, and a mother.

She felt lost in comparison, like a leaf tossed about, but she suppressed the feeling before she could let the emptiness steal her away. "Like Leo," she mused, and recalled the golden child through a haze of memory. Her brother who had come from the sky, though she had never been close with him. Even with the four of them to care for, ma hadn't turned him away. Desna was right in her words. She was much like mother, indeed.

As they entered the territory, Nanook tucked in closer to her sister. She swallowed, and her eyes flicked in a nervous habit over every inch of territory. What if this is a trick? What if she hasn't forgiven me? "Nikai and Keoni." She finally said, an attempt to silence her thoughts. "What are they like?" Her voice was quiet, and her mind drifted to the question she truly wanted to ask. Will they even like me? And if Desna was their mother, what did that make her?
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
I didn't know you graduated! Congrats!!

Valette didn't think much about Leo anymore, but when her sister mentioned him she remembered him fondly. She wondered what had happened to him now. She had seen him a long time when she was still young herself. He had looked troubled at the time. "Yes," she smiled. Valette nodded when her sister repeated their names. "Well, why don't we see if they are home?,' she asked and howled for @Nikai and @Keoni.

She stepped more into the territory. It was great to be on familiar lands again. "So this is the forest, we only claim part of it. Along with the widespread meadows to your left. The center of the territory is marked with a stone circle. It is pretty cool," she admitted to her sister. "Feel free to go where you like," she offered to her sister.
Won't you torture someone else's sleep?
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
ooc: hope ya don't mind me butting in here <3

Krypton was unaware that Valette had ventured off, though she didn't mind. Valette was allowed to do as she pleased so long as the pack stayed together in one piece while she was away. The agouti doubted anything would happen, anyways, everyone liked everyone and there were rarely any problems that surfaced. Krypton just tended to her everyday duties, checking things, scenting things, and caring for Aurora.

Plowing through the land ungracefully, the Gamma kept a slow and long stride of walk as she weaved into the land, avoiding trees and shrubs along the way. However, the howl of a familiar female drew her in closer, though it was exactly made for her. Nonetheless, Krypton felt her curiosity stand up a little as she lumbered her way to where the sound was made. Upon arrival, a loud chuff was made in greeting towards the dark-pelted girl, Valette, along with a respectful dip of the head. However, the scent and sight of another made Krypton lift her gaze and stature only a bit. At first she couldn't recognize who the wolf was in front of her, though after a brief moment of nostalgia, Krypton parted her lips to speak.

"Polaris?" 
Medic: 0/10
Guardian: 0/10
???: 0/10
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Thanks Mar! <3 Congrats to you as well! And you are most definitely welcome, H20! Thanks for joining <3 Curious to see how this goes haha (: ...

An icy shock rippled through the length of her body at the sound of Desna's howl. She had wanted answers, but not from the source, and while as a loner Nanook had held confidence in approaching wolves she knew nothing about, she felt herself lapsing with the safety of her sister at her side. Her gaze flitted around again, as if expecting shadows to emerge from the hazy summer air.

Yet the land remained empty, and as the seconds passed, her spike of anxiety subsided to a churning and low-key worry. Still, her senses weren't entirely tuned to Desna, and while she caught the words her sister said, her nod of acknowledgment held a certain distraction. Idly she noted the intrigue of the stone circle, but her attention was lost on the agouti smudge that approached through her peripheral, and she turned the moment of her chuff - and froze.

She recognized that face, and her eyes widened in a pulse of alarm when the other uttered her name - or, what had been her name, during her brief stint with the wolves of Silvertip. For a second she mouthed a silent stutter, before her voice managed the words, "I - I - yes." And then, "No." She felt small and uncertain again, and Nanook didn't feel herself press closer to Desna as she corrected, "Nanook."
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette could tell that her sister had difficulties after she called for her children, who were probably out exploring. She decided that her sister might need a more easy introduction to the others. However, then Krypton showed up, responding to her howl. Valette noticed Nanook stumble, and wanted to help her.

"Hi Kryp. This is my sister Nanook! A funny thing happened, we both changed our name and hadn't seen each other in such a long time that we didn't realize we were sisters!," she explained and smiled softly at Nanook. "I welcomed her back in our ranks." Valette then turned to her sister. "I think you deserve some TLC, Nanook," she added too. She really wanted her sister to feel better.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
Krypton listented inteively and took note of how Polaris stumbled on her words before speaking of another name, Nanook. She casted her a soft, yet quizzical look, though she remained silent as Valette filled her in. Ah, that made a bit more sense now, the large woman nodded her head as a small and warm smile was placed on her face.

"Glad to have you back then, Nanook. Good to see another familiar face" she said kindly as she turned to Valette. "It seems like you two have ran in a giant circle almost," she joked lightly with a grin, "but now you'll have a lot of time to catch up"
Krypton added.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook was grateful when Desna stepped in; her sister's help gave her the time to concentrate on what concerned her - the reaction Krypton would give upon seeing her return. Nanook counted her prior leave from Silvertip a graceless one, for she had given neither word nor warning to her sudden slip into the night. Because of this - and because Krypton had been the one to give her a chance before - she wholly expected the older woman's face to twist into a cold and scrutinizing look. Nanook blinked in surprise when Krypton met her with the opposite.

A sway took hold of the Apaata's tail, but her face held fast to an intense and uncertain stare. She had expected hatred from Desna, but had been shown forgiveness. Hostility from Krypton, but had received a welcome warmer than she could make sense of. Everything seemed entirely unreal - even her sister's explanation of how they had engaged in a strange and circular game, as Krypton pointed out, struck her as nothing but fantasy. Like one of the stories she drew from the stars - yet this story was not one she had made, but one she had lived, and was living in now, like a waking daydream.

Nanook didn't know what to do, and her lips twitched into a small and nervous sort of grin as she ducked her head to Krypton, and hoped to pluck something from her mind to say. Silence had served her well within the wild, but here, words counted as something, just like they had back in Bearclaw Valley, when she'd practiced her speech in her secret hideaway away from prying ears. "Uh-huh. Guess we did." She said with a slow nod to Krypton, and scuffed her forepaw against the ground. She glanced at Desna. "And guess we do." Nanook felt the skin burn beneath her fur, and she shied her eyes to the wiry grass at her sister's paws.
I'll do better
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It wasn't long since he had returned from the journey to Northstar Vale, and Nikai had rested since then to catch his energy back up. Only when he heard Valette's call Nikai perked up and he started his way down to where the call'd come from. When he arrived he noticed Krypton was there as well alongside Valette and a third stranger.

Nikai chuffed to announce his presence and then licked Valette's chin in respectful gesture before turning to the others. He smiled briefly at Krypton before turning to the stranger and introducing softly, "Hi, I'm Nikai."
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
For Valette, it was good to see that Krypton was also friendly in greeting her sister. She knew that her sister would need some friendly wolves to make her more social. The alpha female didn't expect that Nanook would ever be a social butterfly but if she could just have a relaxed conversation with a packmate Valette would be happy. She smiled at Nanook.

Then Nikai joined and greeted her. Valette's tail started wagging. "Nikai, this is my sister Nanook," she introduced with a smile. "She is joining our family. Isn't it great?," she grinned. She didn't want to tell Nikai that Nanook was or could be an aunt. Maybe Nanook didn't want to be their aunt. She hoped that Nikai would not be put off by Nanook. She hoped that they at least could get along. She smiled with a hopeful smile at Nanook.
545 Posts
Ooc — Captain
It was good Valette would have some family here with her, her sister would be nice company. Dhe could use all the help she could with running a pack while she had her adopted children, raising them on her own and such. Krypton would make sure to lend her a helping paw whenever needed. When she saw Nikai pop up, Krypton gave him a warm smile before staying quiet.

Thinking it would be a good time to depart, Krypton decided to bid the three of them goodbye. "Well, I better be on my way, borders won't check themselves," she joked lightly, "I'll catch you guys later, and again, it's good to have you here, Nanook" she said with her last smile. With that, the gamma turned around and trotted off to the outer edges of the territory.

ooc: Krypton out <3
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
There was a small stretch of silence, and then another approached. Nanook raised her attention to meet him, and despite her nerves, her ears pricked with intrigue. So this was Nikai. His boyish voice sounded with a soft and pleasant note, and Nanook eased. Her own her voice went unneeded, for Desna talked for her.

So Nanook scored the boy with a pensive gaze. She noted nothing beyond ordinary, save for the flecks of white that danced through the fur around his eyes, like starlight had come to break the night. But the stars only kissed his face, and though she sought to take his appearance in full, Nanook's eyes finally settled to absorb the strange pattern that marked his cheeks.

Krypton's leave snapped Nanook from her transfixion with a start. Her fur raised, and she stumbled to meet the other woman with a small wave of her tail, and the twitch of a smile - or the closest thing to that. With the anxiety of the moment ebbing to something of stillness, and with the encouragement of her sister's tangible support by her side, she managed a quiet, "Thank you," to the departing Krypton, before returning her focus to Desna and her son, with an equally soft, "Hello, Nikai."
I'll do better
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai was glad that Nanook joined, if not only because he was glad to see his mother smile again. Valette had been so broken over Steady's death and he had wished he could do something about it. He hadn't been able to fix things, but it looked like Nanook could, at least in part, and for that he was glad. "It's nice to meet ya," he said with a soft smile. "Bye Krypton!" he said as Krypton departed and then he looked back to Valette.

"We found a pack in the mountains," Nikai said, directing the words at Valette, "It's mostly young wolves. They helped Keenie when she was hurt." He hadn't gotten around to informing his mother of the things he'd seen, so now seemed as good a time as any.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette knew that Nikai was good to meet at first. He was friendly and easy going. The mother smiled at him as he was polite and friendly. She also glanced at Nanook for a moment to see her reaction. When Nikai started to talk about her travels all Valette could think about was that Nanook was probably glad to not be the center of attention. "Keoni was hurt? Is she alright?," Valette asked a bit worried. Keoni had been hurt before. "See, I told you that if you are nice to strangers they are nice in return. Thank you for telling me I should send them a gift." Valette really thought as a leader now. She didn't want to get on another pack's bad side.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook felt her nervous grin soften. Nikai's presence soothed her, somehow. His demeanour was calming, and as Desna glanced her way, Nanook felt the final threads of her tension lift. Though her movements remained stiff, she eased herself onto her haunches and relaxed beside her sister.

She pressed her ears forward to listen to Nikai's recount, comfortable to reside in the lowlight, and to allow him to take centre stage. Admittedly, Nanook felt rather distant from the exchange. Even the mention of Keoni's hurt brought little stirring, but she cast a sidelong glance at her sister, because she felt the worry leech from her voice, and she knew this troubled Desna.
I'll do better
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai smiled awkwardly when Valette asked if Keoni got hurt again. Maybe he should've been more precise in his recount. "Oh, no, I mean when she was there the first time — when she was out alone, before." He didn't want to describe how she had returned to them, and he was pretty sure Valette wouldn't let him and that the puzzle pieces'd fall into place on their own.

"If you want me to bring anything to them, just let me know," he said, excited to get some more miles in his paws. Now that he'd had a taste of the adventurous outdoors, Nikai was looking forward to more. He couldn't help but wonder when he turned back to look at Nanook: "Did you go on an adventure, too? I mean, 'cause you were gone and returned now." It was probably a much longer adventure than the ones Nikai'd had so far, but still, he was looking forward to hearing Nanook's travel stories.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette let out a soft sigh. "Oh right. Okay," she spoke. She briefly thought that something happened to Keoni but that wasn't the case. Nikai showed interest in bringing the gift. Valette smiled because he was showing the ambition to be a scout. She liked that. "Would you like to bring it for me then?," she asked. She was certain she wouldn't get a no.

The conversation then moved to Nanook. She liked how enthusiastic Nikai sounded. Perhaps she could give a positive layer to Nanook's absence. "Oh yes, Nanook is very skilled at traveling. Maybe she can give you some tips?," she smiled at her sister. She tried to help the conversation going and keep it all positive. Maybe Nanook would also see things weren't so bad as she seemed to feel.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Reclined at her sister's side, Nanook was more than content to merely listen to Desna and her son reconnect after his bout of travel. But Nikai turned his eyes to her again, and when he spoke, her throat tightened at his question.

But as fast as her nerves choked her, they fizzled out, both from the solidity of Desna's voice, and the gentle presence of the boy, and where fear would have been, she felt the warmth of a strange sensation. Nanook managed to return a dim mirror of her sister's smile, and kept her mouth twitched upward even when she turned again to Nikai.

"Oh. Yeah. I went North." She said, and, unknowing, her gaze shifted from his face to the distant horizon when she recalled those months alone - months filled with frustration and questions, seeking and searching, turning over rock after rock, and listening to wolf after wolf. And while she hadn't found what she had set out to find, she had found what she had needed to, and a strange nostalgia toyed with the ghosted grin on her face. "I followed the stars. I could teach you." Her offer came quick and hushed, and her eyes glowed with a new intensity. The excitement of sharing her interest drowned out the sense of alarm at what the end of this meant.
I'll do better
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It was clear to Nikai that his question had struck some kind of chord. He was ready to say that he didn't need the answer any longer but she ended up answering with a quick and easy answer and he decided to just leave it at that.

At her suggestion she could teach him to navigate using the stars, he smiled broadly. "Really? Thanks! That'd be great." He would love to learn to travel better, and mostly to be better able to find his way home. He'd nearly got lost a few times as he was exploring.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Shall we wrap this?

Valette was glad that everyone so far had been so welcoming to her sister. The alpha could only be pleased how her pack mates responded. She hadn't been worried but it was still nice to see that Nanook was welcomed. The dark colored female smiled at the two. She would love for Nanook to get closer to her children especially as she might have more on the way. Then Nanook could have the sense of a real family.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Sounds good to me! This can be the last from me (: Thanks so much for the thread, you three! <3 And also for welcoming Nanook so readily (:

Nanook had never been a teacher before - always the student, with question after question. This would be something new - and at a different time would have rushed her with panic - but Nikai's grin dashed away the fingers of darkness, and, for a rare moment, light flooded her thoughts.

She had Desna again, and, with the starkissed Nikai before them, and Krypton's scent still about, a strange sensation took hold of Nanook. A levity that started in her chest and spread outward, until the tendrils clutched her throat - not in fear, but in a way that made her eyes brighten, and her anxious smile relax.

Nanook had no name for the feeling, but she knew she liked the thought it brought: that maybe, things would be okay here after all.
I'll do better
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai was glad to see that Nanook seemed willing to teach him some things. She looked like she was ready to settle in well into the pack and he was sure that she would do well as a member of Easthollow. Valette seemed really happy to have her sister back too, and for that alone Nikai was grateful that Nanook had come to join Easthollow. Life was looking good.

i'll archive with this fade :)